The Twilight Saga

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Twilight Saga

Post  Jude on Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:31 pm

Yeah, I just came back from seeing it. I was amazed how crowded the theater was for it being 11:00 on a Friday morning. There were even a few males there, as well as some singleton females so I didn't feel quite so alone.

What to say. Well, I actually enjoyed most of it a lot. I thought they fit in most of the key scenes from the (crazy) book, and Kristen and Rob did a pretty great job with the acting. I was actually kind of touched during the post-birth scene -- don't judge! -- and it kept my interest throughout, which is saying something since I have the attention span of a hamster. I also liked the staging of the wedding and honeymoon; the sets were beautiful. And I loved the touches of humor, particularly during the wedding scenes.

What I didn't like:
- The wolf pack, especially the voiceovers. Yikes. Those scenes were laughingly bad, in my opinion.
- The hair and makeup -- on nearly everyone, but the wigs!! Oh GOD, the WIGS!! I just don't understand, because they've got to know the things that were said about the bad wigs in the previous movies, and yet they still went there with this one. Personally, I think the hair and makeup people should have been fired on this series, but maybe that's just me. (I mean, even Rob's hair -- what was with the goofy little fringe?)
- I think Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson are beautiful people, but the camera work on this one did them no favors. Maybe that was done on purpose in Kristen's case because there has to be a huge contrast between the before-and-after, I don't know. But I was even disappointed in the way she looked for the wedding, in all honesty.
- Peter Facinelli's now-you-hear-it-now-you-don't-and-when-you-do-it's-indecipherable accent.
- Taylor Lautner. He seems like a nice guy in real life, but he just doesn't do it for me as Jacob. I'll be nice and leave it at that.
- Nikki Reed. I've always thought she was horribly miscast as Rosalie, and my opinion is cemented with this one.

All that said, it looks like I'm going to end up seeing it again because my friend just told me she'd like me to go with her to see it on Monday. But in spite of all my complaints, I don't really mind going to see it again because overall, I liked it, believe it or not.

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa on Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:55 am

The last half-hour of this film honestly knocked me on my ass. I mean, I KNEW what was coming, but damn. I...am not even sure what I think. Parts of it were so fucked up and bizarre, but then there were a few moments that were actually strangely affecting. And I give them kudos for how they closed it out, cause my theater full of couples and middle-aged people were definitely ready for Part 2.
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  Jessica on Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:57 am

The wigs! THEY WERE SO BAD. I don't understand how a movie series that makes this much money still has the worst wigs EVER. In fact, I think everyone looked THE WORST in this movie -- with the exception of Lautner, who is cute to me, and K Stew, whose eyebrows were FANTASTIC. Nikki Reed, in all sincerity, looks like a dude in several shots. Kellen Lutz looks UNRECOGNIZABLY BLOATED. I just thought everyone looked MARKEDLY TERRIBLE.

So entertainingly bad, though -- I thought it was a scream. I mean, it's a movie where there's a ten minute scene of WOLVES ARGUING and then a vampire eats a baby out of a girl, and then their wolf-friend falls in love with the baby, so....lulz. Truly. Very cheesily entertaining. My theatre laughed A LOT and not always in places where it was intentionally funny, so that was fun. Everyone was giggling throughout the imprinting. Poor Taylor Lautner. How are you even supposed to begin to tackle that?

I said, "UGH" aloud really loudly when they cut to that long loving shot of Stephanie Meyers at the wedding though. Have her be in the background and be done with it.
Jessica

Back to top Go down

Post  Luthien on Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:40 am

My sister took one for the team and went to see it with a friend of hers who is an unironic Twihard. (I did my duty by reading every word of all four books; there's no way I'm paying to see these movies. I did see the first one but not any of the others). Like many of you are saying, she said it was surprisingly not terrible. She only knew what to expect from what I told her; I made her call me when the showing got out to give me the rundown. I was pleased that the only part I remember actually liking in the book was included: the part where Esme gives Jacob, Seth, and Leah food because she feels badly that they are living outside and eating what they can catch. I thought that was a nice gesture. My sister said that the ending is basically like the ending of Cameron's Avatar, and that the imprinting could have been worse. I then horrifed her when she asked what would happen in part 2 by telling her that there would be a scene where Vampire!Bella is introduced to her mutant demon baby, and that Jacob would be standing there all snarly and protective of his infant girlfriend. She stopped in the middle of our conversation and said, "That is the worst sentence I have ever heard, and every word of it is true."

Also, halfway through the showing, two girls a couple rows ahead of her got into a fight and one of them got up and stormed out. My theory is that they were having a Team Edward/Team Jacob throwdown.

Luthien

Back to top Go down

Post  PrincessCleo on Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:32 pm

I mean, it's a movie where there's a ten minute scene of WOLVES ARGUING and then a vampire eats a baby out of a girl, and then their wolf-friend falls in love with the baby, so....lulz.
"That is the worst sentence I have ever heard, and every word of it is true."

I think this is why I love this whole thing.

I really enjoyed the dream/flashback efforts towards Actual Vampiring at the beginning. And Bella getting shut down in her fancy undawears was genuinely funny.

Kellen Lutz looks UNRECOGNIZABLY BLOATED. I just thought everyone looked MARKEDLY TERRIBLE.
Elizabeth Reaser seems like a very nice person, but she needed some bangs like whoa. Her forehead actually distracted me.
PrincessCleo
Admin

http://http;//cleolinda.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:42 pm

You know what bugged me the most about a film where a teen boy imprints on an infant girl and where a hybrid vampire/human kid gets ripped out of her mother by her father's teeth? The fact that we see a trembling, shaky Bella nearly falter walking down the aisle until she sees Edward and then walks calmly down the aisle because he is there, and it bothers me because it's just another example of how Bella's entire life focuses on Edward and I hate that kind of bullshit. Which can make me sound like a bitter old shrew and I don't mean to be because walking down the aisle in front of everyone is a big deal and who wouldn't be nervous. But it's just more of the Bella&Edward4evah and I'm not into their epic loveness. It just felt like a huge anvil and I would have preferred a little more subtlety.

It also bothered me that there was no carpet on the ground that we could see. Seriously, did nobody think about the dirt that was going to be on the hem of that dress after traipsing along that WOODLAND path, to say nothing of the kind of heels she was expected to walk on that in? She'd sink in a minute! I expected better of Alice, I really did.

It may be ridiculous to expect such practicalities in a film where the vampires sparkle, but that is how I roll these days.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  Grainne Mhaol on Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:43 pm

I saw it today. It was horrendous, unbelievably awful, MENTAL. And I loved it intensely. There's a knowingness and a campness to it that the other films didn't have. It's like Bill Condon and Melissa Rosenberg had a preliminary conversation that went 'Breaking furniture? Imprinting? Renesmee? Fuck it, let's just go for it.' It's sheer madness from beginning to end.

Also, both of Bella's wedding dresses were gorgeous. And Anna Kendrick stole the show, yet again.
Grainne Mhaol

http://foodcultureinireland.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  bbridges on Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:51 pm

It's not surprising to me that the best parts of the movie were the parts that seemed the most like making fun of them kind of. Between Anna Kendrick's toast with "the Hair" and the montage of Bella trying to get Edward to do her (isn't that just the whole series condensed to five minutes?) they knew what was ridiculous and just went with it. It made the whole experience that much better to me.

And so many small things brought me joy. Like the fact that in the dream sequence Bella is wearing a different wedding dress so there are two! The straight up birthing suite inside the house! The shot where we watch Jacob walk up the stairs. The chess set that looks like the cover of the book. It is bonkersville but in the best way possible.
bbridges

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa on Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:05 pm

Awww...I actually liked that she lost her nerves when she saw Edward. I mean your wedding kind of IS the one day when your entire world should be about your groom. And I mean, plus, she spent 10 minutes at the reception snuggling with Jacob, so I'm glad Edward got a smile. Hee.

I didn't care for the wedding dress. It looked so weird fitting and plain, around the shoulders/neckline especially. But I do love imagining that they only showed Meyer the front of it and hid the back of it until they started filming.

The honeymoon was actually cute. I cracked up at him laughing and rolling over on his stomach when she did her "sexy" lingerie posing.

You know, I'm not even sure if it was all Peter Facinelli's wig's fault this time. I feel like he gained a ton of weight.

I was genuinely freaked out by preggers Bella. Like I felt nauseated by it. Even BEFORE the vamp c-section and the transformation.

All in all, I'm not sure what I think of this. It's so much more watchable to me than New Moon or Eclipse, yet it is probably a worse movie. But I kind of want to see that final half-hour again, cause from the moment her spine breaks until she wakes up, I was loving this. Also, I completely unironically loved the montage during her transformation when they played the soundtrack from the first Twilight. It was so pretty.
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:34 pm

Grainne Mhaol wrote:I saw it today. It was horrendous, unbelievably awful, MENTAL. And I loved it intensely. There's a knowingness and a campness to it that the other films didn't have. It's like Bill Condon and Melissa Rosenberg had a preliminary conversation that went 'Breaking furniture? Imprinting? Renesmee? Fuck it, let's just go for it.' It's sheer madness from beginning to end.

Also, both of Bella's wedding dresses were gorgeous. And Anna Kendrick stole the show, yet again.

Exactly. Also: I'm now officially Team Jessica. She said all the things I would have said at the wedding.

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:39 pm

swsa wrote:Awww...I actually liked that she lost her nerves when she saw Edward. I mean your wedding kind of IS the one day when your entire world should be about your groom. And I mean, plus, she spent 10 minutes at the reception snuggling with Jacob, so I'm glad Edward got a smile. Hee.

That's true, but it's just part of the dynamics of their relationship that has always bothered me. That she's not complete or happy or able to function unless he's there which is what has always been a bug bear of mine with this series.
Anyway, I had Momo as one of my relationship role models and she'd have been more likely to say "Let's get this thing done and over with, I have to go to bingo in an hour!" than actually worry about wedding day jitters. Heh.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  PrincessCleo on Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:57 pm

particle_person wrote:Exactly. Also: I'm now officially Team Jessica. She said all the things I would have said at the wedding.
I nearly died when she called Edward "The Hair."

I did think it was interesting--and typical of this series--that the entire reception was about toasting Bella (and threatening Edward if he didn't treat her right). It's the logical extreme of the idea that a wedding is about the bride instead of the couple. I mean, who's the one person who didn't get up there and make a speech at all besides Jasper because he's not allowed to talk? Bella, because the whole thing was a tribute to her.
PrincessCleo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude on Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:58 pm

swsa wrote:I didn't care for the wedding dress. It looked so weird fitting and plain, around the shoulders/neckline especially. But I do love imagining that they only showed Meyer the front of it and hid the back of it until they started filming.

I'm so glad you said this! That scenario would make me beyond happy! Also, YES -- SM being spotlighted at the wedding made me want to throw my $10.00 popcorn at the screen. Way to take some of us out of the moment, people.

I understand what you're saying, QueenSix, and my feminist sensibilities agree with you. But somehow in this series Bella's devotion to Edward doesn't really bother me, maybe because it's so completely reciprocated. If it were one-sided, I'd probably hate it, but as it is, one's as ridiculous as the other, so I accept it. It's not something I can personally identify with, mind you, but then again, I can't identify with being vampires or werewolves (or their spouses) either.

Last edited by Jude on Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:43 pm

PrincessCleo wrote:
particle_person wrote:Exactly. Also: I'm now officially Team Jessica. She said all the things I would have said at the wedding.
I nearly died when she called Edward "The Hair."

"Who gets married at eighteen?" THANK YOU BILL CONDON!

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude on Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:39 am

Interesting article about the hatred of Twilight. Even more interesting are the comments, I think.

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa on Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:08 pm

PrincessCleo wrote:I did think it was interesting--and typical of this series--that the entire reception was about toasting Bella (and threatening Edward if he didn't treat her right). It's the logical extreme of the idea that a wedding is about the bride instead of the couple. I mean, who's the one person who didn't get up there and make a speech at all besides Jasper because he's not allowed to talk? Bella, because the whole thing was a tribute to her.
This is interesting and is one of the points of Twilight criticism that I often disagree with. While I won't at all make the argument that Bella's a good female role model, I also don't think she's nearly as...subservient a character as many believe. After Twilight, I would argue that it's Edward who is much more of a prop/prize than a real character. When you break it down, Bella really gets EVERYTHING she wants. Even the wedding that is so important to Edward, he ends up caving on and saying that they don't have to. She's the one who finally decides that it's important to her too and that's when they decide to do it. The wedding, sex, being able to keep the other man in her life permanently and having her husband just have to deal with it, being turned. Those are all things that Bella wants. You can argue about how messed up you may or may not find her priorities, but they are hers and she sticks to them.

(And I'm just talking about her getting her way on the things she consciously makes choices about, not the way she Mary Sues her way into still getting to have a perfect child, be the bestest vampire ever, and still getting to keep her connections to her human family.)
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  PrincessCleo on Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:36 pm

I totally agree that Bella's a lot more proactive than people give her credit for--certainly, in the books, she goes out of her way to do the most obnoxious thing possible when she's jerking these two guys around. Even her dropping out of life when Edward leaves is such an extreme reaction that it's like an active refusal to go on without him, a kind of rebellion, instead of just wringing her hands and being like, "Okay, whatever he wants, I guess." Which is why I think the wedding is all about her, because everything's all about her and what she wants, and Edward's the groom on top of the cake--the object, literally, of her desire. Even Edward freaking out about the death baby is phrased in terms of "I can't live without you" and "how can you leave me with IT" and "I'm sorry I wasn't there for YOU." I mean, "you are more important to me than the unborn baby" is not an invalid reaction to have in the very complicated, controversial issue of an abortion to save the mother. But his freakout is presented as unreasonable, because it's not serving HER needs (while still also being all about her).

I'm not even saying that this is bad and people who like it should feel bad. I'm just saying that it's totally a fantasy, and that's how it's constructed.
PrincessCleo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:20 pm

Yeah, that's one thing that's bothering me about the response to these movies — I think a lot of people are not giving credit for the fact that it's presented as a complex issue, even in the movie. I keep seeing comments along the lines of "this is the most anti-choice movie EVAR" when that's not what I saw at all. If you're pro-choice, shouldn't you be defending Bella's right to keep the baby just as much as it would be her right to abort? (I hope we're not drifting too far into politics here, but since everyone is being adult so far, I think it's okay.) That's actually not an issue I see discussed much since questions of choice are usually framed the opposite way.

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa on Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:17 pm

I can somewhat see the argument in that the people who want her to abort aren't shown as being very sensitive about it. Alice is all, "The FETUS isn't good for her!" and Edward's pissed off for a large portion of the movie because she won't get rid of "that thing". There's a definite sense that Bella and Rosalie are the ones that "get" it because they understand it's a miracle/gift. But despite that I didn't particularly think Edward came off unreasonably when he finally snapped at her. I don't think they made him villainous because he wasn't a fan of the demon spawn.
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:17 pm

I think the book is definitely anti-abortion, and Bella and Rosalie are portrayed as the ones in the right, but I don't see how it can be anti-choice when Bella's active in her choice to keep the baby.
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  PrincessCleo on Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:46 pm

Yeah, it's kind of this mindscrew of one side being pro-choice AND pro-life and the other side being pro-abortion AND anti-choice.
PrincessCleo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa on Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:59 pm

I saw this on tumblr and just...we all knew the day would come when this topic was brought to his attention. Heee.

http://creativelyforty-one.tumblr.com/post/13138847933

I love how thoughtful he looks when contemplating some of his past word vomit.
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  jaraga on Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:50 am

So the local censors edited out the birth scene. They stopped just after the demon child broke Bella's back and then we got scenes of the blood vessels and nerves all turning to stone (I think). Should I feel cheated or should feel glad that the censors saved me from something that cannot be unseen?

Also, that has got to be one of ugliest wedding dresses ever.

jaraga

Back to top Go down

Post  MtOlivePickles on Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:51 pm

Oh God, yes, that dress was awful. I liked the dress that Bella wore in the nightmare portion though! It was tasteful and pretty and strapless; therefore, it had to be used for a dream sequence. BLAH.

I found myself teary at the part when Bella says goodbye to Charlie. It was such a tender moment, and Charlie's speech to her reminded me of something my dad would have said to me. But then you remember this is Twilight, and the sweetness of the whole moment just goes out the window.

MtOlivePickles

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:03 pm

Cheated AND grateful, I vote. (Also: URGH CENSORS.) There is something almost funny about censoring Twilight, though. Like, the self-censorship of the highly conservative author wasn't enough for you?

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top