Celebrity Scientologists

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Celebrity Scientologists

Post  TiffanyNichelle on Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:34 am

Wasn't there some drama over him giving Dakota Fanning an IPod? Or am I remembering that wrong?
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Luthien on Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:01 am

Now that I know I didn't just dream this, I poked around the internets and I think I've found that Spielberg/Cruise drama. If it's true, and I'm betting at least some of it is, no wonder nobody wants to be around CTC and his clam cronies.

Luthien

Back to top Go down

Post  Decca on Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:55 am

DAMN. I heard there was friction between Spielberg and Cruise during/after War of the Worlds, but not to this extent. It speaks to Tom Cruise's delusional outlook if he really thought Spielberg would side with him over his wife.

Kate Capshaw sounds like kind of a bad ass, though. I now forgive her for Temple of Doom.

Decca

Back to top Go down

Post  Never Enough on Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:09 am

TiffanyNichelle wrote:Wasn't there some drama over him giving Dakota Fanning an IPod? Or am I remembering that wrong?

I think it was an iphone, so Tom could talk to her (and probably get her to become a Scieno). There was a lot of drama over it b/c she was so young at the time and it was creepy.

Damn, Steven and Kate are badass! I remember the story of the confrontation on the balcony but not everything that lead up to it. You know CO$ were probably wetting themselves at the idea of getting Spielberg.

Never Enough

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup on Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:50 am

I have no trouble believing the content of that account, but how was it written up in such detail, as if someone was standing right next to Tom, Kate, SS the entire time taking notes?

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:16 pm

Binky wrote:
Poubelle wrote:And Spielberg hasn't worked with Cruise since. I remember both those stories, I could've sworn some story about on-set confrontations wasn't even blind.

I remember this too. I can't remember if it was thinly veiled or completely open, but there was a Scientology recruitment table on set next to craft services or something, and Spielberg was NOT having it.

I heard/read that it was a Scientology tent but that TC and his people were passing it off as a relaxation space, where you could go in and chill out type of place. Whatever it was, I read that it pissed Spielberg off like nothing else.

Luthien's link is some of the juiciest stuff I have read in ages. I was gaping at some of it. Wow! Even if it's not entirely true, I enjoyed reading every bit of it.

puddingcup, maybe someone was taking notes. A journal entry or someone wanting these confrontations documented as they happened, in case things got crazy bad and the authorities or studio higher ups were called in, and they needed to be able to show what was happening. It mightn't even be the Spielbergs who said they wanted things written down. It could have been a production person or studio lackey who thought of it and decided to maybe sell the story or have it ready if it were needed.
That may sound far fetched, but I'm just thinking what we might do in Guides if there were sudden problems between people. Things would have to be written down as soon as an issue didn't go away, in case we all got called up to the higher ups to sort things out.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:17 pm

I think most likely they aggregated all of the on set BIs and reports and then added a bit of artistic license.
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  Decca on Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:44 pm

As Fitzgerald said, the rich are different from you and I. The Spielberg-Capshaws are rich enough to have a really large number of people in their orbit who may overhear arguments and complaints. Each of the scenes described happened where there were lots of people there (sets, award ceremonies, parties...) and it does make sense to me that this write up is based on the accounts of several people (with some embroidery, most likely).

The idea of Tom Hanks physically intervening in a confrontation between Steven Spielberg and Tom Cruise at a Hollywood party is kind of mind-boggling though, and that does kind of take it to fanfic levels for me. The only thing that would make it better is if Harrison Ford was involved somehow.

Decca

Back to top Go down

Post  Francie Nolan on Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:25 pm

The idea of Tom Hanks physically intervening in a confrontation between Steven Spielberg and Tom Cruise at a Hollywood party is kind of mind-boggling though, and that does kind of take it to fanfic levels for me. The only thing that would make it better is if Harrison Ford was involved somehow.

Oh, I remember this story from the old old boards! I was trying to remember who it was who allegedly intervened. I wish we still had that thread--it was a great timeline of the couch-jumping era.

The Scientology booth on set reminds me of how the CoS set up similar centers for relief workers at Ground Zero right after 9/11. Ugh, talk about preying on the vulnerable.

Francie Nolan

Back to top Go down

Post  Luthien on Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:01 pm

This story gets even better if you guess that "Mr. Ocean Lover" is probably George Clooney, and "Mr. Hard to Catch" is probably Leonardo DiCaprio. Those are my best guesses, anyway. Having those two take flanking positions while Tom Hanks tries to intervene in a fight between Spielberg and Cruise over Cruise's whackadoodle $ci stuff is quite possible the best mental image I've had all week. I'm going to choose to believe it's true.

Luthien

Back to top Go down

Post  Decca on Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:09 pm

Oooh good call, Luthien! I will choose to believe it as well.

Decca

Back to top Go down

Post  Never Enough on Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:17 pm

That's exactly who I thought too! I love the image of Clooney instructing DiCaprio to go get help. It's awesome!

As for the believableness of the story and the detailness, the only scene I can recall that didn't have a large amount of witnesses is when Kate storms into Steven's business meeting with his business partner. That could easily be the business partner mentioned it to someone in a general sense ("Kate was pissed! Steven was overwhelmed!") and got created into a scene. And I have no problem with that.

Personal assistants are usually the ones who talk, so it makes sense enough of them could be compiled to make a narrative. At the same time it makes me very happy that Steven/Kate have a strong support circle that isn't willing to talk serious trash about what happened.

Never Enough

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:52 pm

Maybe it was like Christian Bale's party tape where the problem got documented to insurers in case the incident stopped filming.
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  Decca on Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:56 pm

I know if I saw Tom Hanks pull Steven Spielberg off an irrational Tom Cruise, while Leonardo DiCaprio and George Clooney tried in vain to get Cruise to back off, I would tell everyone I met.

Decca

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:51 pm

Decca wrote:I know if I saw Tom Hanks pull Steven Spielberg off an irrational Tom Cruise, while Leonardo DiCaprio and George Clooney tried in vain to get Cruise to back off, I would tell everyone I met.

I'd surreptitiously film it on my phone, then sell it to TMZ and retire off of the proceeds.
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  maxell131313 on Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:02 pm

After watching Rock Center With Brian Williams last night and their story about Scienos I'm convinced Cruise is officially batshit crazy. And that David Miscavage is pure evil. Have you seen pictures of him?? His eyes are frightening.
maxell131313

Back to top Go down

Post  year of the cat on Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:48 pm

What killed me was Tom Cruise trying to label Kate Capshaw a "suppressive" and was shocked that other religions didn't find their wives as disposable as Tom did Nicole. Insulting his wife and inviting him to cult practices is probably the most bonehead stupid thing you could do to a Jew without actually involking the name of Hitler. And yet I totally believe Tom is that nutters.
year of the cat

Back to top Go down

Post  Decca on Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:56 pm

I really laughed at how Cruise (allegedly, etc.) claimed that marrying Kate Capshaw had destroyed Spielberg's career and relationships. Like, really? I mean, even if that were ever an appropriate or valid thing to say...since marrying her, Spielberg has gotten two Oscars for best director, and produced some of his most successful and acclaimed movies. I'm sure most people in Hollywood would kill to have a wife that dragged them down like that.

Decca

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:03 am

Yeah... but she just wouldn't. stop. SCREAMING. in Temple of Doom. Don't you realize that maybe-not-really ruining one of the Indiana Jones movies means everything Spielberg's done since is worthless?

I mean, she wasn't even in Crystal Skull. How is that *her* fault?
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:35 am

So who would the alleged "actress" honey trap sent after Señor Speilbergo be?
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  sumire on Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:47 am

I didn't realize that bits of that epic BI had been reported non-blind until I was reading the Vanity Fair article that was linked elsewhere, "Showdown at Fort Sumner":
Spielberg felt the actor’s antics had hurt his own movie, 2005’s War of the Worlds. Far worse, though, had been an episode when Spielberg told Cruise the name of a doctor who had prescribed medication to a relative and the doctor’s office was subsequently picketed by Scientologists.
That go me curious as to where else it had been reported, so I Googled and found Slate, Gawker, and Celebitchy articles that mention that incident (apparently it was in the New Yorker, too) and the surprise award presentation (Celebitchy has photos).

Funny, I don't remember reading about that back then.

sumire

Back to top Go down

Post  The Glen on Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:18 am

The Glen
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf on Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:46 pm

I realise that the original source is the National Enquirer, but apparently, the Scientologists want Robert Pattinson.

I've never cared about him all that much, but I'm not into crazy cults. So by spreading this story, I hope that word can get back to him, so he can avoid their clutches.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  Heather on Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:58 pm

Any Stewart-related blind spots aside, he seems a bit too sensible for that. I HOPE.

Heather

Back to top Go down

Post  Fiammetta on Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:56 pm

Not too many famous Brits are Scientologists; there's an odd one here and there, but overall they seem to know better.

Fiammetta

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top