Advice Columns

Page 2 of 37 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19 ... 37  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Advice Columns

Post  Jasmine on Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:40 pm

Right? I mean, if you don't want them all, put the ones that you want in your room, and an Eat Me sign on the rest. But if you do not want people to eat all of your cupcakes, don't put an EAT ME sign on them!

Jasmine

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle on Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:05 pm

If I left something like cupcakes out with a sign that said "Eat Me" I'd be surprised if there were any left after more than an hour, let alone eleven hours. Besides, if they were just sitting out in the open that long, they probably wouldn't have been as good by the time she got back.

I think if she were complaining that her roommates never said anything about the cupcakes and didn't thank her, I'd see where she was coming from.
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sheli on Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:16 pm

Did she really not consider leaving a sign that said, "Feel free to have one! I'm saving the rest!" or something? Like biakbiak, I would think a sign that said, "Eat me!" meant the owner didn't want the sugar/calories/whatever and that by letting my friends eat them, I was doing the owner a favor!

Sheli

Back to top Go down

Post  Algae on Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:54 am

That can't be a real letter. No one could be that dim (she says hopefully). Heck I can't make boxed brownies at my house and expect them to last more than a day. No way would cupcakes last 12 hours.
Algae

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar on Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:41 am

What an idiot.

That reminds me of when I bought a little gift set of four hand sanitizers and didn't like their scents. I took them to work and left them in the bathroom with a sign that said "Help yourself." I had thought that the ladies I work with would use them to wash their hands after using the facilities; instead, apparently one of the ladies grabbed the entire set and took it home. Not what I had in mind, but I DID say "help yourself" - it's not her fault that she didn't know exactly what I'd been thinking.
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:12 pm

I can see receiving some cupcakes, putting up a sign that says "Eat Me," expecting your roommates to nibble on them but not for them to be all gone, coming back and finding them gone, and being disappointed.

What I CANNOT see is then writing indignantly to an advice column about it. The correct response would have been to say "D'oh, I guess I should have been more specific."
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  mayram on Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:02 pm

I guess I can see that too (especially if she only has like 2 roommates and wasn't expecting them to scarf down 11 large cupcakes).

But the thing to do is still what Jasmine said, put a few away for yourself and leave the rest for everyone else. A sign that said "Eat me, but don't finish me" would look silly but a sign that just says "Eat me" would indicate that people are welcome to polish them off if they want.

mayram

Back to top Go down

Post  The Lady of Shalott on Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:16 pm

Ask Carolyn from the other day. Man, this letter-writer is creeping me right out. "We've only been dating exclusively for six months but I know she is The One and we are going to be together for ever and ever and she is PERFECT except she won't move in with me even when I keep badgering her WHY????"
The Lady of Shalott

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy on Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:22 pm

I think the answer to that lies in the question. The repeated question. That he won't let go.

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasmine on Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:24 pm

My God, if I recognized my boyfriend in this letter, I would flee. He sounds way way too much like he's trying to convince the world of their perfect love.

Jasmine

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:51 pm

On her not wanting to move in because she worries about what her family and friends might think he says "I find these sentiments to be petty and childish, and that is not her personality." Somehow I get the feeling that anytime she has an opinion different to his he will find it petty and childish.
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  blooey on Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:48 pm

I really like the "and that is not her personality" for its sheer disconnect with logic. Dude, if she is being petty and childish, then yes, that is in fact her personality. Her personality is not this nebulous, perfect thing, separate from your girlfriend. Her personality is reflected in her actions. There is no evil spirit possessing her body - she is the one feeling and acting out those things.

Not that not wanting to move in with a creepy boyfriend is either petty or childish, but you know.

blooey

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma on Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:28 pm

Looks like My sister's all knocked up lady wrote to Amy too. You can kind of see how the different editors played with the question text.
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:37 pm

I much prefer Prudie's response. Especially, since the only person who appears to be having difficultly with the decision is the sister, so Amy's response made little sense.
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  The Glen on Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:46 pm

I saw where Amy was coming from in that she was trying to encourage her to empathise with her sister, but then she suggested she adopt the child which pretty much undid any good from that.

The Glen
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear on Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:09 pm

Oh man, at first I thought you meant the sister wrote to Amy Alkon, and I couldn't wait to read her take on the situation.

Yeah, this advice was lame. This lady needs to be told, repeatedly, to mind her own fucking business.
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma on Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:14 pm

Unlucky Bear wrote:Oh man, at first I thought you meant the sister wrote to Amy Alkon, and I couldn't wait to read her take on the situation.
Bwah, yeah, now this is one of the few people who actually deserves an Amy Alkon smackdown.

(Unrelated -- your sigfile says ships twice, I think it's "fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise.")
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:26 pm

I wonder how many places she sent it to hoping for someone to agree with her. I only hope she had to resort to this because everyone else in the family is supporting her sister's choice.
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear on Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:45 pm

Thanks, punky! If you hadn't said anything, I probably never would have noticed.
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha on Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:14 am

This woman asked her husband for a romantic gift for her birthday and he gave her and he gave her a bathroom scale and a hot water bottle he bought at a drug store the night before. This is a group advice kind of column, and every contributor somehow made this out to be the woman's fault. I don't know who I want to hit more, those people or the LW's husband.
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy on Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:56 am

Perhaps we could round them all up together and deliver a good bitch slapping to the lot of them?

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar on Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:32 am

I'm really fed up by all those "men just don't get it, the poor clueless dears" comments. Even if a guy is the most unromantic person in the world, surely he knows that flowers are a nice present? Or nice-smelling bath oil? I'm on the LW's side.
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhilin on Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:10 pm

I think you'd have to be "literally from the moon" level clueless to not understand why a bathroom scale isn't romantic. Adding a hot water bottle* almost pushes it into passive-aggressive meanness.

(*=hot water bottles are common solutions for bad menstrual cramps. I'm willing to give the husband the benefit of the doubt, but wow, was that really tone deaf.)

Rhilin

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:39 pm

Yeah, you know, a SCALE isn't really the same kind of "clueless guy present" as a blender or a vacuum cleaner. A scale is a little pointed.
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar on Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:31 pm

I asked for a Weight Watchers bathroom scale a few years ago because they measure all kinds of stuff as well as poundage. That was my personal request, however - my husband would never have bought one for me otherwise.
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 37 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19 ... 37  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top