Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

One-off dramas

4 posters

Go down

One-off dramas Empty One-off dramas

Post  allochthonous Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:51 am

The other night I saw Holy Flying Circus, a "fantastical reimagining" of the furore surrounding the release of Monty Python's Life of Brian in the UK in 1979 (there were huge protests against the film, and loads of local councils banned it), culminating in a famous TV debate between Cleese and Palin and the journalist Malcolm Muggeridge and the Bishop of Southwark.

It was done as a homage to Python, so there were plenty of surrealist interludes, fantasy sequences, men in dresses (Palin's wife was played by Jones in drag) and nods to various sketches and other Python projects (Cleese was played as a wildly OTT Basil Faulty-esque version of himself. The humour was a bit hit and miss, but when it hit it was genuinely funny (I loved the bit with Cleese and the newspaper vendor). Where it really stood out was the casting: all of them were pretty good (and looked uncannily like the originals), but the script focused on Cleese and Palin, and Charles Edwards as Palin in particular was absolutely extraordinary. Comparing the drama with the footage of the original debate, he absolutely nails Palin's expressions. Although the whole thing was a bit all over the place, it was at least a change from the standard docudrama format, and I really enjoyed it. And Edwards really needs to get more work after this.
allochthonous
allochthonous

Back to top Go down

One-off dramas Empty Re: One-off dramas

Post  Case Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:52 am

Much like NBC's executives, I'm not really sure where else to put Bryan Fuller's Halloween special/test pilot Mockingbird Lane.
A one hour dramatic "reimagining" of "The Munsters"? A troubled ten million dollar pilot that's like Pushing Daisies meets The Walking Dead, one that features Portia Di Rossi as Lily and Eddie Izzard as Grandpa Dracula?

I'm so there. Everything I've seen has me seriously impressed, and am hoping that it does well enough for NBC to go ahead on the six scripts they've ordered.
Case
Case

https://www.facebook.com/case.crum

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:59 am

A troubled ten million dollar pilot

To people viewing the pilot and thinking "this cost ten million dollars?," this is apparently the cost of the two plus years of development and redevelopment, not just the filming of the pilot that will air.

I can't imagine, no matter what Fuller thinks, that this thing is going to do impressive enough numbers on a random Friday with hardly any promotion and no lead in to get NBC to put it back into production, particularly when the lead is Jerry O'Connell. The only question is which will do worse ratings this or the premiere Fuller's Hannibal which is scheduled for mid-season at NBC.
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  Case Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:30 am

biakbiak wrote:
The only question is which will do worse ratings this or the premiere Fuller's Hannibal which is scheduled for mid-season at NBC.
I'm holding out for a "miniseries" dumped onto USA or Sci-Fi's schedule in the Summer or next Fall.
I highly doubt it if I'm going to be honest with myself, though. I was really excited about the project.

I'm baffled at the idea of Bryan Fuller's take on Hannibal Lecter. Nothing I've heard about the show is even remotely Fuller-y. No quirk,no romance, no music. Just another procedural. Why hire him to do a show like that?
Case
Case

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:32 pm

I liked Mockingbird Lane. A lot. I'm bummed it probably won't get picked up. I loved Grandpa making cookies and enslaving the neighbors. Also, I DID NOT recognize Portia di Rossi with brown hair. Gorgeous.
Unlucky Bear
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:41 pm

Portia looked a little like Minnie Driver, I thought maybe Eddie Izzard was having flashbacks to The Riches. I liked it for the most part, Jerry O'Connell was the weak link for me.

The kid who played Eddie totally looks likes a mini Lee Pace.

Also, I agree with Sepinwall and Fienburg that NBC's development team is full of morons because they dumped this pilot because it wasn't what they expected, this is exactly what I imagined it would be when I first heard that Fuller was updating the Munsters?
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  Case Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:53 pm

biakbiak wrote:The kid who played Eddie totally looks likes a mini Lee Pace.

Also, I agree with Sepinwall and Fienburg that NBC's development team is full of morons because they dumped this pilot because it wasn't what they expected, this is exactly what I imagined it would be when I first heard that Fuller was updating the Munsters?

If NBC changes their minds, I say replace O'Connell with Pace. It's easily explained by Grandpa needing to find Herman a new head.

Also, poor NBC thought that they could dump this and no one would watch. Oops.
Case
Case

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down