Unpopular Fame Opinions You Hold

Page 2 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Unpopular Fame Opinions You Hold

Post  tothemax on Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:02 pm

queenofdenile wrote:I don't think this makes me hate him, but it does make me side-eye him with disgust at this particular decision.

Agreed, I don't hate him because of this, but he definitely should have known better. I'm all for protecting celebrities' privacy, but you can't be a celebrity today, throw a party for other celebrities and expect something like this not to be made public. It's not like the cake was made for some random dinner and someone took a picture of a leftover slice that was in the fridge.

tothemax

Back to top Go down

Post  curryalley on Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:02 pm

I also find that incredibly tasteless. I can kind of sort of see how it might evolve from a "wouldn't it be funny if..." place. It was a private party but that's the kind of thing frat boys find funny (I'm sure there were Zombie Amy Winehouse costumes running around this year). I think part of the reason it bothers me so much is that NPH isn't someone just having a few friends over. He's a celebrity and it's not beyond the realm of possibility that someone could be invited to the party who knew her.

curryalley

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:18 pm

That is why I said it was an unpopular opinion. I am not saying it wasn't tacky, I am saying I have literally never been to a Halloween party that hasn't had something similarly as tacky/inappropriate or hell in the case of the parties my former boss used to throw much more inappropriate.
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  sagitare on Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:22 pm

queenofdenile wrote:It's tacky whether it was meant to be private or not, but at the same time, I can also acknowledge that what NPH does at his private party is really none of my business.
If only the lives of celebrities - and anyone else, for that matter - were truly private. If celebs aren't tweeting or posting pictures/comments/videos about every minute of their day, someone else is probably doing it for them, whether they want it or not, and then everyone gets to comment. The cake might have been funny within NPH's circle of friends but that's not where it stayed.
sagitare

Back to top Go down

Post  jcpdiesel21 on Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:36 pm

I may be the only person on this board who groaned out loud at reading this breaking news. I do think Ricky Gervais can be very funny, and I didn't find offense with most of his jokes the last time he hosted, but I really found him TIRESOME after a while and he seems so smug and full of himself.
jcpdiesel21

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:55 am

Oh no, I'm sure you're not the only one. I'm not sure there's any other figure in pop culture who inspires such polar opposite responses in me. I absolutely hate him at this point, but then I seriously LOVE the UK Office, Extras, the podcast... I wish he would just go away for awhile and try to grow up.
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:23 am

I think he's absolutely hysterical when he hosts, but he gives off such a raging *sshole vibe that I can never manage to actually like him.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  sagitare on Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:45 am

Huh. I was under the impression the powers that be would sooner stick bamboo shoots under their fingernails than have him host *anything* ever again. Well, they can't bitch and complain after the fact this time. They know what they're getting into.
sagitare

Back to top Go down

Post  dinahmoe on Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:10 am

I think he's adorable and would date him in a heartbeat. I have no idea why.
dinahmoe

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge on Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:40 am

I love Ricky Gervais, especially when he hosts things. The cheese stands alone.

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasmine on Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:52 am

I used to enjoy Ricky Gervais, and now I absolutely loathe him, and he's the worst when he hosts things. Stop trying to pretend that you're so far above everyone in Hollywood, Ricky, you're just an asshole.

Jasmine

Back to top Go down

Post  Grainne Mhaol on Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:27 am

Can't stand him. He's one of those comedians who think it's terribly iconoclastic to attack people weaker than him. Yes, in these days of political correctness it's refreshing that there's someone willing to take those disabled people down a peg or two. What an insufferable bastard.
Grainne Mhaol

http://foodcultureinireland.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:41 am

What I hate about his jokes is that he just always conveys such a meanspirited and smug vibe. Jon Stewart can clown people without sounding like he absolutely disdains them, but when Gervais ridicules someone, I get the idea that he honestly looks down on that person. I can laugh at his jokes because he's a clever guy, but in the end, the jokes leave a bad taste in my mouth.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  katha on Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:09 am

I don't get that whole "Brad Pitt is stupid" thing. Sure, he has a tendency to stare unfocused into the distance sometimes. But he seems perfectly coherent, even occasionally sharp and witty in interviews or dvd commentaries. Yes, he says obnoxious and ignorant stuff sometimes, but so do a lot of other celebrities.

Moreover, he has been making very smart career choices for about two decades now. Yeah, he's attractive, but he's not classical leading man material, IMO he knows that and chooses his projects accordingly. And even if he just has good advisers and listens to them, that still means that he's smart enough to listen to them.

katha

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:21 am

Yes, in these days of political correctness it's refreshing that there's someone willing to take those disabled people down a peg or two.

Come on, it's edgy to make fun of disabled people.

...Wait, "edgy" means "old, tired, and completely predictable," right?
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:58 am

katha wrote:I don't get that whole "Brad Pitt is stupid" thing.

I don't buy that he is either. I remember reading a Vanity Fair feature interview on him a few years ago and some of the people they interviewed, people who worked with him on various projects, not just actors, they said that he was actually quite smart and savvy. At the time, there had been a lot of "Brad Pitt is thick" gossip stories and it was implied that these stories had been either started by or allowed to start by someone who had been very close to him until some time before the interview. It wasn't said outright but reading between the lines, it seemed to hint at Gwyneth Paltrow. I don't know either way but it was interesting.

I also don't think Keanu Reeves is as dim as he allows himself to be portrayed.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  Matinee on Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:06 pm

I like Kristen Stewart. I think she's just as passable as all others who are acting in the Twilight movies and lets be honest, she plays empty Bella right on. It cracks me up when I see her criticized for being bland or blank because, come on, that is exactly Bella Swan. KStew is nailing it - and I always get this little sense of her eyerolling at the shittiness of the story under it all. I like how she's different than other starlets her age style wise and how she doesn't really seem to give a shit about being famous. And I think she's pretty, albeit not in a "glam" way, more of a tomboyish manner.

Matinee

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 on Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:11 pm

Matinee wrote:I like Kristen Stewart. I think she's just as passable as all others who are acting in the Twilight movies and lets be honest, she plays empty Bella right on. It cracks me up when I see her criticized for being bland or blank because, come on, that is exactly Bella Swan.
I've never watched the movies or read the books, but by internet osmosis, I agree. (Plus, it makes me think of the recent Beavis & Butthead episode where they're watching Twilight and ask if Bella is supposed to be a zombie, hee!)
I don't think Brad or Keanu are stupid, and I don't think Keanu is a terrible actor. Also, I still dislike Tom Hanks, just because. I have no good reason to, really, but whenever he shows up somewhere, I want to punch something.
(See also Matlin, Marlee.)
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:38 pm

I somewhat liked KStew for a long time, and I still think she makes Bella tolerable (when she's straight-up hateful in the books), and I don't really care that she doesn't smile or play the fame game the way a lot of starlets do, but when she gave that interview and talked about how all of her teachers "let her down," she lost me. Not entirely, but I don't feel the need to defend her anymore.
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Evil Lincoln on Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:40 pm

I haven't seen much of the Twilight movies, but whenever I see people bagging on the main actors for being "terrible" I get a little defensive, because I have read all the books and they are giving accurate portrayals of what is going on in there. Maybe if Stephenie Meyer weren't so intensely involved in the movies to make sure her ~vision~ was realized they could have injected a little more life into their performances, but that's not how things shook out. I'm not trying to say that these kids are going to be Oscar winners some day or anything, but I don't think a lot of their critics realize that it's also challenging to be such black holes of charisma for an entire movie, let alone 5.

QueenSix wrote:I also don't think Keanu Reeves is as dim as he allows himself to be portrayed.

I don't know that this is an unpopular opinion amongst us snarkers. I don't think he's an idiot, either. I remember someone linking to a GQ (I think) interview with him at the old board, where he and the interviewer went to a bookshop, and Keanu gave the guy a bunch of really good recommendations. You can't be as well read as he apparently is and not have at least a little bit of something going on between your ears.

Evil Lincoln

Back to top Go down

Post  Matinee on Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:06 pm

queenofdenile wrote:I somewhat liked KStew for a long time, and I still think she makes Bella tolerable (when she's straight-up hateful in the books), and I don't really care that she doesn't smile or play the fame game the way a lot of starlets do, but when she gave that interview and talked about how all of her teachers "let her down," she lost me. Not entirely, but I don't feel the need to defend her anymore.

Oh... that's unfortunate... still, I'll maintain that she a good actor who is just playing the character as written (if not better than, as you point out)!

Matinee

Back to top Go down

Post  caltrask55 on Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:27 pm

I guess it's unpopular to still love Ricky Gervais. I think he's hysterical and actually find his self-deprecating act brilliant because I think he pulls it off so well. Also I will FOREVER love him for this alone.

caltrask55

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny on Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:50 pm

caltrask55 wrote:I guess it's unpopular to still love Ricky Gervais. I think he's hysterical and actually find his self-deprecating act brilliant because I think he pulls it off so well. Also I will FOREVER love him for this alone.

I don't particularly like him, but his bromance with Elmo absolutely cracks me up. When Kevin Clash was on The Daily Show he said that Ricky will randomly call him up to suggest skits they can do together.
Miss Moneypenny

http://daisyrazor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sagitare on Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:34 pm

caltrask55 wrote:I guess it's unpopular to still love Ricky Gervais. I think he's hysterical and actually find his self-deprecating act brilliant because I think he pulls it off so well. Also I will FOREVER love him for this alone.
I didn't know he had such a lovely voice. That was delightful!
sagitare

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:04 pm

I like Ricky Gervais's self-deprecating humor very much. But lately he seems to have gone from mostly self-deprecating humor to mostly making fun of people in marginalized groups and then claiming to be "edgy" and "ironic" for relying on stereotypes so old that they're fossilized.
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top