Unpopular Fame Opinions You Hold

Page 17 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Unpopular Fame Opinions You Hold

Post  whatthedeuce on Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:48 pm

She has an alright voice, but it's not especially strong or in any way remarkable. I think I would like Wrecking Ball way more if she had a stronger voice.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Swarley on Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:32 pm

This girl is not Eminem or the Beastie Boys. She is not Justin Timberlake. This appreciation/interest does not strike me as something that has always been there, or is genuine or is who she is. It strikes me as an act.
This. Plus, I feel like the whole sticking out her tongue thing was meant to be sexy and it just came off as desperate. I was embarrassed for her long before she stripped down to that latex bikini. We get it Miley. You're having an identify crisis. Just go away and do it.

Swarley

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge on Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:26 pm

Oh, please.  I guess using a black woman as a prop just wasn't enough.

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:13 pm

She is currently like the female Kid Rock.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:23 pm

That is nothing anybody should ever want to be.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Matinee on Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:17 pm

Big Freedia needs to take that girl aside and explain what twerking should actually look like. Or just say "oh, honey, no".

Matinee

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:21 am

Want an unpopular opinion?

I think that Miley Cyrus knows exactly what she's doing, I think that she's canny, and I think that the roars of disapproval coming from every corner play into her longer term career plan. And I additionally think that's just fine.
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:38 am

I wouldn't call her co-opting of black culture and using black people and little people in her act as props, or mocking Sinead O'Connor's pleas for psychiatric help, while also bringing Amanda Bynes into it "fine".
If she was just being overtly sexual I wouldn't care. Its that other stuff I have issue with, myself.

Well that and despite the fact I do think she can sing, I thought that VMA performance was just bad. Like, when Brtiney stripped, she could dance.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:57 am

Kiran wrote:I wouldn't call her co-opting of black culture and using black people and little people in her act as props, or mocking Sinead O'Connor's pleas for psychiatric help, while also bringing Amanda Bynes into it "fine".
If she was just being overtly sexual I wouldn't care. Its that other stuff I have issue with, myself.

Well that and despite the fact I do think she can sing, I thought that VMA performance was just bad. Like, when Brtiney stripped, she could dance.
Call it co-opting black culture if you want. I'm not sure how she's doing so more than Robin Thicke , or how she's using black women as props more than any other white artist with black backup singers/dancers, but not being black, I don't really feel able to give an informed opinion on the matter. I've read black writers who were offended, I've read black writers who weren't. Me? I'm not in a position to say. And if I was taking control of my career on my own terms, attempting to break away from the Disney machine, and navigating the ups and downs of the creation of a controversial image only to be condescendingly advised to seek psychiatric help from a woman whose most famous moment involved alienating millions of people through an ill-timed if well-meaning act of protest on live television some decades ago, I might be inclined to be a bit dismissive.

Is she screwing up here and there? Perhaps. It's entirely possible that all of this will backfire. But it's her career, she seems incredibly aware of everything that she's doing and the response that she's getting, and while none of it is to my taste. I can at least appreciate that she's attempting to take charge of her own life in a proactive manner, which is something that about half of her Disney cohorts utterly failed at.
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:11 am

I don't like Robin Thicke either. I thought he was gross that night and generally comes of a misogynistic pig. And if I had a problem with the sexual aspects of her performance you best believe I'd be calling his ass out about that too. However, he's been writing blue eyed soul music for over 15 years. In fact the majority of his music prior to this year was played on urban radio and BET. Some of it I like, some of it I dislike, but I think his interest is more genuine than a woman who two years ago declared she had never heard a Jay-Z song.

Granted I'm not giving her the benefit of the doubt, but since in the past she has been pictured making stereotypical asian slanty eyes, I don't really feel inclined to. My issue is more, as I've stated before her act of subverting our expectations or being shocking is imitating aspects of black culture. Thereby indicating its somehow wrong or bad.

Sinead O'Conner was speaking out against years of abuse by the vatican. Granted, not the best time, or probably the best way, but I give her a bit more leeway because woman grew up crazy abused and was put in a Magdalene laundry. Miley has 200 million dollars in the bank and grew up in mansions. Now thats not to say her life was not hard or difficult in other ways, but when she tells Rolling Stone that "she about that life" as a woman of color I have to scoff. Its lovely when the little white girl gets to be "all bout that life" and go back to her mansion and lack of racial profiling. This is a woman who is so tone deaf that when people of color pointed out to her "you are white" her response was "I know the color of my skin, bitch, you don't have to remind me." And I say this as someone who winced at Sinead's open letter, which I thought was a bit slut shamey, but pulling out tweets that she CLEARLY had to search for where a woman is begging for psychiatric help and declares that she fears she will hurt herself and leave her children motherless is douchey as fuck, 20 or not.

I hope Miley outgrows this. But frankly its not really coming off canny to me (although extremely calculated, yes), or the majority of the people of color I know. Its coming off as insulting. Like a community theatre production of James Toback's Black and White.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Matinee on Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:19 am

Eris Rising wrote:Want an unpopular opinion?

I think that Miley Cyrus knows exactly what she's doing, I think that she's canny, and I think that the roars of disapproval coming from every corner play into her longer term career plan.  And I additionally think that's just fine.
Miley offends me not because of her actions, but because she thinks she's shocking people. Most of the response I hear of "oh, sweetie, calm it, we've all seen it before" but she's acting like she's the first person to use sexuality on stage!! or say outrageous things!! I'm offended that she thinks I would be offended.

It does really bother me that all the talk of twerking in the media generally seem to be based on examples of white women doing it (e.g. Miley, that Kimmel video). Typical lack on media history on a phenomenon - like "oh, if young white ladies are doing it, then it exists". Plus the examples that have become famous are just bad examples! Annoying.

Matinee

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa on Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:34 am

I just find her completely unlikeable. She seems mean, full of herself, obnoxious, and entitled. I also think much of her act these days is a facade because she's straight-up scared to just put herself and her music forward. Better to make a hot mess and then claim it was all a plan to "shock" people than to put the effort into a well-rehearsed and tight performance and have people judge you on your talent and not how gross and weird you are.

She had a quote in Rolling Stone about how she knew the VMA thing was creepy and not really sexy, but she MEANT to do that and if she'd wanted it to be sexy and to dance well, she could have. And I say...I kind of doubt it.
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:08 pm

However, he's been writing blue eyed soul music for over 15 years.
And he's 36 years old which would make him 21 when he started in earnest to sell himself as "black" culture, just like Miley is 20 and doing the same. Listen I'm not saying her appropriation is *fine*, it's offensive as hell and should rightfully be called out each and every time, but I also think that appropriation is a hard to define concept for really EDUCATED people to grok, much less this privileged brat. In the Rolling Stone piece it did seem to bother her, and that she wanted to understand how she might be stepping wrong, and at the same time it was still totally beyond her and re-validated by her black friends/employees? IDK I hope she eventually gets some science that penetrates there, but at this 20 year old dumbass juncture I'm slightly more forgiving.

I guess my UO about Miley is that she is she is just as stupid and clueless as she seems, and naw I don't think she's either calculating OR canny. I don't think any of these Tween Industry Modules is ever really calling the shots in their "career", are they indulged and entitled? Sure, but they are forever treated like children, and never given true professional autonomy (they wouldn't even begin to  know what that looks or feels like)  there are always Dina's and Trish's and all the Disney reps and label heads there every step of the way to guide them forcefully every step of the way.

I will say I do think Miley is *as a singer* more talented than Britney Spears (which is not saying much). Britney Spears was marketed to me as a SINGER, I don't give a fuck how good she can dance, I'm not buying her albums based on that. Miley's songs on this new album are GOOD, I hate to admit that but they are, all those people they hired to work on her album are GOOD so yeah, I think the album is GOOD, and she did sing live on SNL which certainly makes her more authentic if not more talented than some of her similar peers.

blixie
Mod Squad

http://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell on Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:28 pm

I wouldn't call her co-opting of black culture and using black people and little people in her act as props, or mocking Sinead O'Connor's pleas for psychiatric help, while also bringing Amanda Bynes into it "fine".
I agree, Kiran. Selling sex is nothing new and doesn't offend me at all, but the way she exploits and mocks people with less power than she has makes my skin crawl.
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge on Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:54 pm

swsa wrote:She had a quote in Rolling Stone about how she knew the VMA thing was creepy and not really sexy, but she MEANT to do that and if she'd wanted it to be sexy and to dance well, she could have. And I say...I kind of doubt it.
So do I.  Miley is by no means an unattractive girl, but I really don't think she could pull off a genuinely sexy performance.  Britney Spears could do that in her heyday, but Miley?  I'm not seeing it, no matter how many wrecking balls she straddles bare-ass naked.

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyGayle on Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:34 pm

I agree. She's just so desperate and try-hard to me. I'd feel sorry for her (and I do, a little bit), but she's also so obnoxious and cruel. I mean, if you're coming off as the asshole in a set-to with Sinead O'Connor, then something is wrong.

LadyGayle

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle on Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:59 pm

I mean, if we're looking for a former teen star who went though a "sexy" phase--Christina Aguilera did that, and can sing circles around Miley in her sleep. (Also, "Drrrty" is actually fun, unlike "We Can't Stop" which is just trying too hard. I mean, for all it's supposed to be a Rihanna reject, it sounds like something Ke$ha would reject for being too stupid and trashy. Also, I cannot roll my eyes hard enough at the "get a line in the bathroom" part. Oooh, I bet someone spent a whole ten seconds on that wordplay!)

Britney may not be much of a singer, but she's a far more charismatic performer, and yes, actually comes across as sexy. I wasn't cringing in embarrassment when she stripped down to that sparkly bodysuit at the VMAS (and while she didn't do her own song live, she was clearly doing "I Can't Get No Satisfaction" live, and didn't sound any worse than Miley). Bonus points for avoiding blatant racial appropriation/stereotyping and entitled brattiness.
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Melk on Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:03 pm

I don't like Martin Freeman. I'm not even sure why exactly. He seems smug? He makes ill-advised remarks that reveal glimpses of some unpleasantly bigoted opinions? I'm starting to get sick of being told how incredible Sherlock is, when at best it's just entertaining drama that isn't half as clever as it thinks it is? All those things put together?
Melk

Back to top Go down

Post  rivki8699 on Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:43 pm

Melk wrote:I don't like Martin Freeman. I'm not even sure why exactly. He seems smug? He makes ill-advised remarks that reveal glimpses of some unpleasantly bigoted opinions? I'm starting to get sick of being told how incredible Sherlock is, when at best it's just entertaining drama that isn't half as clever as it thinks it is? All those things put together?

Between his face and his rape "jokes" I'm not a fan.
rivki8699

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge on Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:18 pm

I don't like Jennifer Lawrence. If I hear about how awesome and down-to-earth and average-sized she is one more time, I will vomit. The average-sized thing especially bugs me, because I'm guessing she's like a size four. Ugh.

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho on Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:59 am

rivki8699 wrote:
Melk wrote:I don't like Martin Freeman. I'm not even sure why exactly. He seems smug? He makes ill-advised remarks that reveal glimpses of some unpleasantly bigoted opinions? I'm starting to get sick of being told how incredible Sherlock is, when at best it's just entertaining drama that isn't half as clever as it thinks it is? All those things put together?

Between his face and his rape "jokes" I'm not a fan.

He's literally that guy that we've all dealt with.
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  jstilwe on Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:36 am

He lost me at calling Lucy Liu a "dog." Look, I will accept that someone might not find LL attractive (I think they're very, very wrong, but: different strokes), but to go on record as calling her ugly? Douche behavior of the highest degree.

Edit: After looking up the original source, it appears that he was attempting a joke. He still seems like a dick.

jstilwe

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho on Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:45 am

I think that during interviews he needs to have someone standing behind him with a sock and the minute he opens his mouth to say something ill-advised, THEY SHOVE THE SOCK IN HIS MOUTH.
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear on Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:33 pm

He said WHAT?

I want to sic my army of Lucy Liu-bots on him.
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat on Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:27 am

Unlucky Bear wrote:He said WHAT?

I want to sic my army of Lucy Liu-bots on him.

In context, at least in print, it seemed to me he was kidding--"after having such an attractive Watson as me, how could they settle for Lucy har-har."

With that said, I don't know much about the guy as a person so he may very well also be a real dick.

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top