Unpopular Fame Opinions You Hold

Page 18 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Unpopular Fame Opinions You Hold

Post  blixie on Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:12 pm

Yeah that Lucy Liu thing was so clearly a parsing the negative joke even given his totally assy other comments. I did like him on The Office, but I've never much cared about him since.

Not sure this is necessarily UO, though he is/was loathed at TWoP, but I love Andy Cohen and Watch What Happens Live, and I wish it was an hour long. I'm not sure he could sustain the clubhouse atmosphere for that long with his guests, but damn he gets some fairly high profile people to be casually candid and funny. I just feel like they start to get really liquored up and ready to talk some serious gossipy shit, and then it's over.

Also, also: I do not think tiny Colin Farrell is even a tiny bit sexy. I think I maybe thought he was hot in one scene with Matt Davis in that homoerotic Tigerland movie, but otherwise NADA.

blixie
Mod Squad

http://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Paris, Texas on Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:55 pm

Crowbridge wrote:I don't like Jennifer Lawrence.

Hee, I thought I'd be the first person to mention Jennifer Lawrence!

I am close to catching Winslet-itis from her.  Because of her many positive qualities, I feel like a meanie saying this, but I wish she (and most other celebrities) would shut up about body image.

I get that's she's being likeable and normal and wants young girls to feel good with these pieces: Jennifer Lawrence never diets, works out: 'Not me!' - USA Today  and Jennifer Lawrence refuses to starve herself for movie roles as she wants to set a positive example for her young female fans - even though when promoting X-Men her story then was of months of strict dieting and working out twice a day, 7 days a week, to wear the body paint.  Seem there's nothing wrong with not working out and here's nothing wrong with liking food!  Additionally, there's nothing dieting and exercising like a demon!  

She may have a good point that sexy young women are something the industry likes and it grosses her out, but she got greased up for GQ in lingerie, and later was complicit in Seth McFarlane's "We Saw Your Boobs" gag, with her prerecorded cheering that "no, you haven't!". (Though as Seth mentioned, we did see her director Jodie Foster's breasts.  In The Accused. During a gang rape scene.)

But as she uses the media to create a Jennifer Lawrence Paradigm that pits Jennifer Lawrence (She's real, she's got no filter, she's such a great role model!) against, say, Crazy Hollywood Dieting For Roles ... (unless you need to, you know, diet for a role) then she's going to come off as a tad sanctimonious at times.

Actors, Actresses - pipe down on the body thing, for your and my sake. (And especially if you are white, blonde, possess that much desired but rarely sighted skinny-but-voluptuous body in a tall, sample size proportion, have been Vogue's September Issue cover girl and had your Vanity Fair solo cover emblazoned with "One Million Men Say Jennifer Lawrence is the World's Most Desirable Woman".)

Paris, Texas

Back to top Go down

Post  Paris, Texas on Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:08 pm

And after that verrrry unpopular opinion I'll join the Martin Freeman party. Cannot abide him outside of The Office and even then, I liked him as part of the cast as a whole.  I haven't heard any of his rape jokes, but his acting in Sherlock (and the abominable Gatiss) is the reason I didn't make it to season 2, which sucked, as I generally like Cumberbatch and Rupert Graves. Worst of all, Martin Freeman is in no way the Bilbo Baggins, my favourite ever Tolkien character, that I imagined.  He is such a letdown after the excellence of Ian Holm.  Freeman brought his hmph/shucks/yawn/smirk/some-one-said-something-non-PC/i-shall-roll-my-eyes schtick to Middle Earth and I loathe it. This isn't a role who needed a star, and he wasn't.  Someone like, say, Rory Kinnear would have been perfect, or fuck it, even James McAvoy or Tom Hiddleston.

This Christmas I plan on watching Last Vegas instead of The Hobbit when I escape the in-laws on the 26th.

Paris, Texas

Back to top Go down

Post  Skyblade on Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:18 am

I'll be honest, Gwyneth Paltrow never bothered me much. I mean, objectively, she's probably the biggest pill in the world, but I don't find her any less distant than say, Nicole Kidman, or any less sanctimonious than say, George Clooney. Gary Oldman and Ben Kingley, you pull a quote from them, and they are the hugest cocks, but they don't seem to be symbols of foot-in-mouth disease because what they have to say sells less magazines. She's stiill a very good actress with some very good movies on her resume, and I was never at a point of "Gwenyth Paltrow took me out of this movie." I think if you ignore the "Vogue"s and the "People"s...she's a bit more palatable.

Skyblade

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat on Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:56 am

I'll second that opinion, Skyblade, I like Gwyneth as an actress. Also, she doesn't bother me as a human, and I feel no glee at all that her marriage broke up.

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  The Glen on Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:39 am

I feel slightly guilty laughing at her (but I do it anyway) because I know what it's like to be socially clueless. To be honest, I find Chris Martin more pretentious and irritiating. She rarely anything for me as an actress, though. I can't see past the persona.

The Glen
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny on Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:25 am

Skyblade wrote:I'll be honest, Gwyneth Paltrow never bothered me much. I mean, objectively, she's probably the biggest pill in the world, but I don't find her any less distant than say, Nicole Kidman, or any less sanctimonious than say, George Clooney. Gary Oldman and Ben Kingley, you pull a quote from them, and they are the hugest cocks, but they don't seem to be symbols of foot-in-mouth disease because what they have to say sells less magazines. She's stiill a very good actress with some very good movies on her resume, and I was never at a point of "Gwenyth Paltrow took me out of this movie." I think if you ignore the "Vogue"s and the "People"s...she's a bit more palatable.

Gwyneth is more annoying because she turned her life into a brand to sell $200 yoga pants. She's also spent the last year talking all about how to keep a marriage happy (including the tasteful advice that blow jobs are a good way to end arguments) while in the midst of dissolving her own marriage. If she was just an actress and nor a lifestyle mogul, I wouldn't find her half as annoying.
Miss Moneypenny

http://daisyrazor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:38 am

For me I just find her public persona fantastically entertainingly awful. But I've always kind of liked her too, I can see the fun/goodish friend she could be if she deems you worthy, and I think she's a pretty damn good actress, ie I don't think it's a crime she beat Cate for SiL.

blixie
Mod Squad

http://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:27 am

See, that's one of the things about her that give me the pip: she has to deem you worthy of her time. Like, who is she to decide who is worth talking to and who isn't?

I take no real joy in her marriage breaking down but at the same time, she has never exactly endeared herself to me with her lifestyle pronouncements that show just how little regard she has for people who do not have her privileged background. And it's these same people she's trying to flog her $100 tank tops to.

I'm not a hater but if she'd stop trying to pretend like she's helping the masses and just get on with the business of making films and raising her kids, I'd probably like her more.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa on Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:46 am

I always remember a Vanity Fair piece about Brad, right after the break-up. The interviewer had also interviewed Gwyneth before, and his description of her was "competitive in the way that pretty, rich girls can be" and I thought that was the most diplomatic way of saying "cold-hearted snob" I'd ever heard.
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle on Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:42 pm

It's funny, I usually cannot stand Gwyneth but I do like her in comedic roles, like her guest stints on Glee or the time she hosted SNL. Otherwise I don't want anything to do with her.
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Skyblade on Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:12 pm

See, that's one of the things about her that give me the pip: she has to deem you worthy of her time. Like, who is she to decide who is worth talking to and who isn't?

Yeah, I mean, I have no doubt if we met in real life, she'd be dismissive of me, but I've been treated that way by the hipster Republican from Last Week Tonight (A show that hasn't even aired yet!) so I tend not hold that kind of thing against performers. (Or I guess, hold it against them all equally)

Skyblade

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:21 pm

Skyblade wrote:

Yeah, I mean, I have no doubt if we met in real life, she'd be dismissive of me, but I've been treated that way by the hipster Republican from Last Week Tonight (A show that hasn't even aired yet!) so I tend not hold that kind of thing against performers. (Or I guess, hold it against them all equally)

Right, but the impression I get is that it's less from her being a performer and more because of who Daddy and Mummy were. Which is not exclusive to her, I know, you can find those kinds of people anywhere. I just have no time for that kind of nonsense.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle on Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:50 am

I don't think I'd like her in person, but I'd miss her if she decided to retreat from the limelight--her snobby cluelessness is very entertaining. Nice celebrities can be so boring.

And I'll take her brand of cluelessness (and actual acting ability) over the cluelessness of a real housewife or a Kardashian.
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:54 am

Poubelle wrote:I don't think I'd like her in person, but I'd miss her if she decided to retreat from the limelight--her snobby cluelessness is very entertaining. Nice celebrities can be so boring.

And I'll take her brand of cluelessness (and actual acting ability) over the cluelessness of a real housewife or a Kardashian.

I agree. I mean, she was raised a child of privilege, and suffers the bubble effect of that, but at least she seems to be trying (however haplessly) to be what she thinks a good person should be like. I don't have any serious issues with her, and compared to your examples, she's a shining beacon of humanity.
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup on Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:10 am

Amal Alamuddin is very beautiful and accomplished, and I wish her well, but I am already so tired of the, "See ladies? A classy man *will* ultimately settle down with a woman of substance" and "See ladies? Playing hard to get works" articles that are analyzing how Amal landed George. Part of it is because I'm skeptical of the relationship (not an unpopular opinion on these boards, I'm sure), and part because I don't think Clooney is all that great, sure, but even if their relationship is the love of the ages, the analysis articles are so gross. (Maybe I should put this in the "Couples" thread? Might not be an unpopular opinion here, but I'm just responding to the recent gossip news gushing.)

A more unpopular opinion? I don't care about Kate Middleton. She's pretty, and she and William seem happy and that's nice, but basically she's ordinary and useless. Some of her clothes are nice, but some are boring, as to be expected of her.

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  maxell131313 on Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:06 pm

puddingcup wrote:
A more unpopular opinion? I don't care about Kate Middleton. She's pretty, and she and William seem happy and that's nice, but basically she's ordinary and useless. Some of her clothes are nice, but some are boring, as to be expected of her.

It's okay to not care about all the hype that surrounds her (even I think it goes too far) but calling her useless is rather mean.
maxell131313

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Thu May 01, 2014 6:17 pm

I kinda feel bad admitting this, but I think Idina Menzel has a terrible voice. "Let It Go" is an amazing song, but I cringe hearing it on the radio because her high notes are so shrill and painful. It sounds like she struggles to reach those notes, especially in the chorus. She sounds mostly good on the Wicked cast recording, but even then, she sounds like she has a tough time with the chorus in "Defying Gravity."

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  eco on Thu May 01, 2014 10:43 pm

whatthedeuce wrote:I kinda feel bad admitting this, but I think Idina Menzel has a terrible voice. "Let It Go" is an amazing song, but I cringe hearing it on the radio because her high notes are so shrill and painful. It sounds like she struggles to reach those notes, especially in the chorus. She sounds mostly good on the Wicked cast recording, but even then, she sounds like she has a tough time with the chorus in "Defying Gravity."

I must have never seen Idina Menzel in anything that involved singing before, because the first time I heard "Let It Go" I couldn't believe my ears. I remember it was after the Oscars and she was singing on Jimmy Fallon or something and I thought it was just the poor sound quality from my computer. Then I heard it on the radio and was like "IS THAT WHAT SHE REALLY SOUNDS LIKE? WHYYYYY?" I change the station as soon as it comes on. I don't even get to the shrill high notes, because the nasal quality of everything else is so horrible I have to MAKE IT STOP as soon as I can.

eco

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Fri May 02, 2014 12:37 am

I was aghast watching her perform at the Oscars. She sounded godawful, and it really did look painful seeing her reach for those super high notes. I remember thinking, "If I just listened and didn't know that was Idina Menzel, Broadway superstar, singing, I'd have thought it was a joke." When she sings in a lower register, it's fine, but she just gets beyond screechy when she has to hit a strong high note. (I thought I might get flogged for that opinion, but as always, there's at least one person in agreement, which is one of the very comforting things about being on this particular board!)

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Grainne Mhaol on Fri May 02, 2014 3:22 am

I totally agree. Her Tony performance of 'Defying Gravity' was shockingly bad. When I saw Frozen, I suspected there was a lot of Autotuning of her voice, so it came as so surprise that she sounded so wretched at the Oscars.
Grainne Mhaol

http://foodcultureinireland.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  woolhat on Fri May 02, 2014 8:14 am

She's just loud and bleating and this Frozen nonsense has given rise to an epidemic of screechy, sing-along secondhand embarrassment.
woolhat

Back to top Go down

Post  mayram on Fri May 02, 2014 10:03 am

whatthedeuce wrote:I was aghast watching her perform at the Oscars. She sounded godawful, and it really did look painful seeing her reach for those super high notes. I remember thinking, "If I just listened and didn't know that was Idina Menzel, Broadway superstar, singing, I'd have thought it was a joke."

It wasn't, that was Adele Dazeem. ;) (That will just never get old for me.)

puddingcup, I also have extreme disinterest in Kate Middleton and her outfits. I don't dislike her or anything, but nothing will get me flipping magazine pages faster than a story about her.

mayram

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup on Fri May 02, 2014 10:55 am

It's okay to not care about all the hype that surrounds her (even I think it goes too far) but calling her useless is rather mean.

Really? I certainly didn't mean to be mean. I didn't mean that Kate Middleton is useless as a person and a human soul, but from the point of view of celebrity gossip. She isn't a performer, so we can't know her from her professional actions, and she isn't known for her personal actions, either altruistic or outrageous. We only know her for who she married, what she looks like, and her fashion. That could be plenty for gossip fodder, but I just don't find her particular story nor her fashion, very interesting. Of course, it's only my opinion, and judging by media coverage, an unpopular one.

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  maxell131313 on Fri May 02, 2014 3:43 pm

puddingcup wrote:

Really? I certainly didn't mean to be mean. I didn't mean that Kate Middleton is useless as a person and a human soul, but from the point of view of celebrity gossip.

Okay, that was how I interpreted your statement at first, but now that you've clarified, I apologize for thinking that was what you meant. Unfortunately I've spent too much time at sites where people DID mean that they thought she wasn't worth being on the planet much less married to a future king. I mean, there is some serious hate going on for this woman and there's no need for it.

It's cool if people don't like her hair or fashion or think the constant media attention is unwarranted. I mean, I don't really even see the point of a monarchy anymore, but I'm a rude American so what do I know? I just find royalty interesting from a historical POV and, let's face it, if given the opportunity to wear all those diamonds I'd be all over that like white on rice. (Girly girl trumps all where sparkly jewelry is concerned).
maxell131313

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top