Unpopular Fame Opinions You Hold

Page 19 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Unpopular Fame Opinions You Hold

Post  puddingcup on Sat May 03, 2014 12:29 am

Unfortunately I've spent too much time at sites where people DID mean that they thought she wasn't worth being on the planet much less married to a future king. I mean, there is some serious hate going on for this woman and there's no need for it.

Wow, I didn't know that, that's horrible. I could understand if some of it came from envy, what with the becoming a princess fantasy etc. I haven't seen any of that. To me, all I've seen is mass adoration of Kate M and I don't get it.

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge on Sat May 03, 2014 12:38 pm

The royal I don't get the hype for is Prince George. He's cute and everything, but I've seen him on so many magazine covers and I wonder WHY. He's a baby- all he does at this stage is cry, eat, poop, and sleep. I even saw a headline that said something like, "How Prince George Took To His Australian Trip." WHY?

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  emrie on Sat May 03, 2014 12:42 pm

All the reporting was absurd on that trip. "Prince George, already taking to his royal birthright, steals a toy from a girl and makes her cry." It sounded like an article from the Onion! He's a cute chubby little baby, and I love cute chubby little babies, but lets not personify him as more than that.

emrie

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Sat May 03, 2014 2:34 pm

mayram wrote:
whatthedeuce wrote:I was aghast watching her perform at the Oscars. She sounded godawful, and it really did look painful seeing her reach for those super high notes. I remember thinking, "If I just listened and didn't know that was Idina Menzel, Broadway superstar, singing, I'd have thought it was a joke."

It wasn't, that was Adele Dazeem. ;) (That will just never get old for me.)
Bwahahaha! No, it most certainly does not. My sister and I were laughing for at least 2 weeks straight over that.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Sat May 03, 2014 2:58 pm

maxell131313 wrote:
puddingcup wrote:

Really? I certainly didn't mean to be mean. I didn't mean that Kate Middleton is useless as a person and a human soul, but from the point of view of celebrity gossip.

Okay, that was how I interpreted your statement at first, but now that you've clarified, I apologize for thinking that was what you meant. Unfortunately I've spent too much time at sites where people DID mean that they thought she wasn't worth being on the planet much less married to a future king. I mean, there is some serious hate going on for this woman and there's no need for it.

It's cool if people don't like her hair or fashion or think the constant media attention is unwarranted. I mean, I don't really even see the point of a monarchy anymore, but I'm a rude American so what do I know?  I just find royalty interesting from a historical POV and, let's face it, if given the opportunity to wear all those diamonds I'd be all over that like white on rice. (Girly girl trumps all where sparkly jewelry is concerned).  

Really a figurehead monarchy is probably more useful than when it was some inbred wahoo actually running a country.
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Sat May 03, 2014 3:21 pm

My unpopular opinion was I never got the dislike people had for Cressedia Bonas. She seemed pleasant enough. Just kind of a rich hipster. And I mean I think Prince Harry is charming and attractive but dude dressed like a nazi and has been heard slinging around racial slurs like it ain't no thing but a chicken wing, so I've never thought he was a prize, aside from being a fun royal to watch.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  eco on Sat May 03, 2014 4:47 pm

My thought was always that Kate Middleton knew she wanted to marry William from the very beginning and did everything possible to ensure that she would be the perfect princess and future queen consort. Everything about her image seemed to have been carefully managed and calculated from the outset - the boring and proper wardrobe, the perfect hair and makeup, the total lack of photos of her falling out of nightclubs while drunk. She never seemed to put a foot wrong, ever, even without any protection or apparent guidance. It took like ten years for the paparazzi to get a topless sunbathing photo, for god's sake. I actually like her a lot, and I do think her charm and humor and her relationship with William is quite genuine. But she played a long game, and she played it masterfully.

I don't have any opinion about Cressida, but I read some article in the Telegraph which I thought was quite interesting - it said that they broke up over her not wanting to spend money traveling to Tennessee if their relationship wasn't really going anywhere. Although her family is titled and wealthy she supposedly supports herself on a £20,000 yearly salary and she was reluctant to spend the £650 on a plane ticket to Memphis. Apparently Harry flies coach when it is a private trip like this one, and he wasn't planning to pay for his girlfriend as well as all his security detail.

eco

Back to top Go down

Post  Gilraen on Sat May 03, 2014 7:56 pm

My thought was always that Kate Middleton knew she wanted to marry William from the very beginning and did everything possible to ensure that she would be the perfect princess and future queen consort. Everything about her image seemed to have been carefully managed and calculated from the outset - the boring and proper wardrobe, the perfect hair and makeup, the total lack of photos of her falling out of nightclubs while drunk. She never seemed to put a foot wrong, ever, even without any protection or apparent guidance. It took like ten years for the paparazzi to get a topless sunbathing photo, for god's sake. I actually like her a lot, and I do think her charm and humor and her relationship with William is quite genuine. But she played a long game, and she played it masterfully.
This seems right. She's kind of working the Margaery Tyrell thing, except since it's a figurehead monarchy, the stakes are pretty low (for everyone else) and it's all good.

Gilraen

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Sun May 04, 2014 12:23 pm

eco wrote:
whatthedeuce wrote:I kinda feel bad admitting this, but I think Idina Menzel has a terrible voice. "Let It Go" is an amazing song, but I cringe hearing it on the radio because her high notes are so shrill and painful. It sounds like she struggles to reach those notes, especially in the chorus. She sounds mostly good on the Wicked cast recording, but even then, she sounds like she has a tough time with the chorus in "Defying Gravity."

I must have never seen Idina Menzel in anything that involved singing before, because the first time I heard "Let It Go" I couldn't believe my ears. I remember it was after the Oscars and she was singing on Jimmy Fallon or something and I thought it was just the poor sound quality from my computer. Then I heard it on the radio and was like "IS THAT WHAT SHE REALLY SOUNDS LIKE? WHYYYYY?" I change the station as soon as it comes on. I don't even get to the shrill high notes, because the nasal quality of everything else is so horrible I have to MAKE IT STOP as soon as I can.

Go listen to the original cast recording of Rent (not the movie, because that's her voice post-Wicked era). Her voice was so much different. I don't know if it was better, but she definitely had a much less smoothed polished sound, in a good way, imo. Not that I still don't like her, because I do.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  eco on Sun May 04, 2014 3:25 pm

ulkis wrote:
eco wrote:
whatthedeuce wrote:I kinda feel bad admitting this, but I think Idina Menzel has a terrible voice. "Let It Go" is an amazing song, but I cringe hearing it on the radio because her high notes are so shrill and painful. It sounds like she struggles to reach those notes, especially in the chorus. She sounds mostly good on the Wicked cast recording, but even then, she sounds like she has a tough time with the chorus in "Defying Gravity."

I must have never seen Idina Menzel in anything that involved singing before, because the first time I heard "Let It Go" I couldn't believe my ears. I remember it was after the Oscars and she was singing on Jimmy Fallon or something and I thought it was just the poor sound quality from my computer. Then I heard it on the radio and was like "IS THAT WHAT SHE REALLY SOUNDS LIKE? WHYYYYY?" I change the station as soon as it comes on. I don't even get to the shrill high notes, because the nasal quality of everything else is so horrible I have to MAKE IT STOP as soon as I can.

Go listen to the original cast recording of Rent (not the movie, because that's her voice post-Wicked era). Her voice was so much different. I don't know if it was better, but she definitely had a much less smoothed polished sound, in a good way, imo. Not that I still don't like her, because I do.

Ok, listening to the clips of the Rent Original Broadway recording from 1996 and her voice is…really different. Definitely not as shrieky and nasal as it sounds in "Let it Go," it almost doesn't even sound like the same person. Then I was on iTunes and listened to one of the duets from Wicked, and her voice is still much better than it sounded for Frozen.

eco

Back to top Go down

Post  mandalaya on Sun May 04, 2014 3:57 pm

I'm glad to know that there are others out there who don't love the performance of Let It Go. It's a great song, and Idina Menzel performs it well in her style, but I have no desire to listen to it on its own, despite having enjoyed it in the context of the film. She has what I call a Broadway voice - lots of edge. It's probably necessary in a theater, even with amplification, but isn't necessary in a recording, and I don't find it pleasant. I'm also not a fan of adult women singing in shallow voices, which sound babyish to me, and Menzel often uses an element of that. Pop music often benefits from some vocal edginess - Let It Go would probably be less exciting if sung in an operatic contralto style, for example - but, yeah, I agree with y'all.
mandalaya

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Sun May 04, 2014 6:07 pm

Ok, listening to the clips of the Rent Original Broadway recording from 1996 and her voice is…really different. Definitely not as shrieky and nasal as it sounds in "Let it Go," it almost doesn't even sound like the same person. Then I was on iTunes and listened to one of the duets from Wicked, and her voice is still much better than it sounded for Frozen.

I guess a decade of belting "Defying Gravity" and "Defying Gravity" lite songs like "Let It Go" have taken their toll on her voice. That's not me being snarky, because I do agree that she definitely is not as great as she was even on Wicked.

I'm also not a fan of adult women singing in shallow voices, which sound babyish to me, and Menzel often uses an element of that.

Ah, now you've hit the nail on the head for me why I like her Rent-era voice better - she sounded less girlish, which is weird since she was so young in that role (which is why I feel a bit mean saying well she was best in the recording that she did in her mid-20s, but not THAT bad since I know she really re-trained her voice in order to do Wicked).

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Sun May 04, 2014 7:25 pm

Whoa, I just saw a vid of her singing "Over the Moon" back in '96, and her voice sounds way stronger and fuller than it does now. I would definitely prefer to hear more of that quality in her voice rather than the nasally sound issuing from my radio when "Let It Go' comes on the radio.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma on Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:35 pm

Re: this, I must be the only person that thinks Emma Watson is, uh, not a very good actor.
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken on Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:55 pm

punkysdilemma wrote:Re: this, I must be the only person that thinks Emma Watson is, uh, not a very good actor.  

No, you're not. I doubt she's got the vocal chops to sing the songs either.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  Melk on Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:10 pm

Aw, I wish I didn't agree but I do. I applaud her immensely for her amazing stand for feminism, and I recognise that she's very accomplished. But I find her acting so self-aware. She never just immerses herself in the part, I swear I can see her thinking through each facial expression.
Melk

Back to top Go down

Post  Corvus on Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:58 pm

I dunno. I thought she was convincing swinging an axe at Jonah Hill.

Thinking about it, though, it occurs to me that while she's been a household name for most of her life, she hasn't had the opportunity to play very many roles.
Corvus

Back to top Go down

Post  katesti on Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:31 pm

But she is just so pretty. SO PRETTY. I can forgive a lot from people who are that pretty. Although...is anyone that pretty?

TL;DR PRETTY

katesti

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 on Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:50 am

Corvus wrote:Thinking about it, though, it occurs to me that while she's been a household name for most of her life, she hasn't had the opportunity to play very many roles.

This is true - her IMDB only lists 6 other films outside of Harry Potter, plus four in production so I think she really hasn't had the chance to test her acting chops that much just yet.
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Grainne Mhaol on Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:34 am

I saw The Perks of being a Wallflower for the first time last night, and while the film itself was wonderful, Emma Watson... was not. She always seemed a bit stiff and self-conscious, like she was concentrating on her accent too hard. She was adequate in the role but I couldn't help thinking that there were dozens of actresses who would have had much more spark.
Grainne Mhaol

http://foodcultureinireland.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:48 am

See I thought she was good, I love that movie and think she does a good job with the role. To each their own.

blixie
Mod Squad

http://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dionneshea on Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:14 pm

I wasn't overly fond of the film in general, but I thought she was good in The Bling Ring. Her character was pretty much the exact opposite of Hermione - vapid, materialistic, selfish - and she was totally believable.
dionneshea

Back to top Go down

Post  eco on Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:34 am

I think Emma Watson is very, very pretty, and very, very smart and articulate in real life, but honestly, the only things I've ever seen her in are the first Harry Potter and BALLET SHOES. Also, after someone pointed out that she acts with her eyebrows, that's ALL I can see.

eco

Back to top Go down

Post  Putli Bai on Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:13 pm

I love me some Muppets, but I don't think Miss Piggy is funny or entertaining.

There. I said it.
Putli Bai

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:18 pm

Honestly don't think that's an unpopular opinion. Kermit is well rid of her.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top