Unpopular Fame Opinions You Hold

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Unpopular Fame Opinions You Hold

Post  Pop'n'Fresh on Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:26 pm

He did seem genuinely repentant over the whole 'mong' debacle. Of course he should not have said it, but he said it in pure ignorance, not bigotry, and appeared very open to listening to and having a discussion with the parents of Downs' children who contacted him on Twitter.

Pop'n'Fresh

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:33 pm

I have no patience for public figures who don't know enough not to use "mong." And that's hardly the only ignorant/bigoted thing he's said.
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:24 pm

I watched that KStew movie that also stars Jesse Eisenberg (Adventureland?), and she was actually not half bad. From what I'd read about her Twilight film performances, I expected absolutely atrocious line delivery and no sense of emotion, but she handled the role pretty well. She won't be winning Oscars anytime soon, but she's not a total suckfest. Based solely from that one film (since I've seen none of her other work), I think she has enough potential to actually become a solid actress if she chooses a wider variety of roles.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Grainne Mhaol on Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:33 am

He did seem genuinely repentant over the whole 'mong' debacle. Of course he should not have said it, but he said it in pure ignorance, not bigotry, and appeared very open to listening to and having a discussion with the parents of Downs' children who contacted him on Twitter.

He is a repeat offender when disabilities are concerned. In 2007, he made a crack about M.E. that encapsulated all the prevailing misconceptions about the illness. Of course, he did apologise afterwards, like the recent incident.

The persistent attitude of entitlement that many comedians have about sensitive issues (see Frankie Boyle) is what bugs me the most - like they're doing a public service - breaking taboos and saying things that needed saying. Except that taboos against insulting genuinely afflicted people are there for a pretty good reason, in my free-speech venerating opinion. /rant
Grainne Mhaol

http://foodcultureinireland.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasmine on Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:15 am

I just don't find Community funny almost ever. And sometimes it's both not funny and boring, as in tonight's episode which Sepinwall et. al. went crazy over, and I sat there watching it wondering when something interesting was going to happen. I'm sure that I just don't get the 27 layers to every episode, and all of the amazing references to x,y,z, but I feel like it's kind of a failure when something can't be funny or interesting on its face. I did like the show at one point, and then this season mostly lost me, but the different timelines episode was great, but I'm starting to think that the great episodes are aberrations.

Jasmine

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:22 am

Your Community is my Parks and Rec (though I quite liked tonight's episode) but I think that would go in Unpopular TV opinions.

The persistent attitude of entitlement that many comedians have about sensitive issues (see Frankie Boyle) is what bugs me the most - like they're doing a public service - breaking taboos and saying things that needed saying. Except that taboos against insulting genuinely afflicted people are there for a pretty good reason, in my free-speech venerating opinion. /rant

I feel the same way and it drives me to extreme irritation when I hear these comedians defend themselves, claiming that they're being "edgy." They especially like to do this with jokes about rape. O rly? That's edgy? Then how come I can't see a single comedy movie, TV show, stand-up routine, or sketch comedy group that doesn't have rape jokes? How is it edgy if everyone's doing it? /rant
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa on Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:13 am

I guess my unpopular opinion about Kristen Stewart is that I don't buy for a second that she's not interested in the fame or being a movie star. One doesn't make the choices she's made if all you want is to do your little indie films unbothered. Jumper, Zathura, Twilight, Snow White, and now maybe Akira. Regardless of whether they succeeded or not, they're all attempts at a big, mainstream career. And I think her PR team has been very savvy in making her more fashion-friendly and approachable in the last couple years.

I do like her though, even though I agree with people who've taken issue with some of her past quotes. Basically I think that while she's a smart girl, she's also a 21-year old who's been pretty coddled and successful her entire life and that's bound to give one a lack of perspective at times.
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:40 am

And sometimes it's both not funny and boring,

Everything is relative, but man "funny" most of all. I've spent untold episodes of P&R not laughing and trying to figure out what's so wonderfully hilarious about it, or how anyone tolerates Ansari's Tom or Plaza's April without their slapping hand getting twitchy. But then I accept that I just don't get it and it doesn't mean it's a bad show. Like even TBBT, I've watched that a few times and think its VERY funny, but it's still *not for me*. Raising Hope has had a sever sophomore slump, but even when it's not funny I still kind of adore it. Because I like the characters and cast enough to hang with it past the not funny.

she's also a 21-year old who's been pretty coddled and successful her entire life and that's bound to give one a lack of perspective at times.

Definitely every time she does/says something stupid I remember she's still pretty young, but I never buy that her awkwardness is a put on which is what I think a lot of people lay on her. If she's still pulling this I want fame but hate it stuff when she's 30 or 40 (hi Daniel Craig and Russell Crowe) than I'll call bullshit.

blixie
Mod Squad

http://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:41 pm

Basically I think that while she's a smart girl, she's also a 21-year old who's been pretty coddled and successful her entire life and that's bound to give one a lack of perspective at times.

I think that's a pretty fair assessment of her, given the interviews I've read. Teacher/education issues are a particular sore spot with me, which is why I went all "DAMN YOU KSTEW" when she said that bit.

Of course, right after I wrote her off, I got my EW in the mail and read an interview with her, Pattinson, and Lautner, and she was so witty and funny in the whole thing that they might as well have called it the "KStew Slowly Wins QoD back" issue. Though I suppose that title wouldn't have the same mass appeal...
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:31 pm

Grainne Mhaol wrote:The persistent attitude of entitlement that many comedians have about sensitive issues (see Frankie Boyle) is what bugs me the most - like they're doing a public service - breaking taboos and saying things that needed saying. Except that taboos against insulting genuinely afflicted people are there for a pretty good reason, in my free-speech venerating opinion. /rant
Yes to all of this. I love language and I am anti-restrictions on speech and free expression. But it rankles me hard when people get all self-righteous about not wanting to be "PC." It's not like some stuffed-shirt overlord arbitrarily decreed that you can't say certain funny words just to be a killjoy. Everything that's become "un-PC" to say has done so for a reason, the reason being that it has hurt people, people who are just as real and legitimate, people who have acquired a voice and begun to use it to emphatically state that they're not OK with what you're saying. You can't put that information back in the bottle; you don't get to just ignore them because it's too much work and making jokes at their expense is too much fun. And it's not because the Man is trying to keep you and your comedy stylings down, it's because we've evolved as a civilization to the point where it's no longer OK to shit on people who are different. It's not heroic or Robin Hood-like to call somebody a retard, it's putting your hands over your ears and saying "la la la I can't hear you when you tell me that my words are hurtful to you because I don't want to think about your feelings because it's too much trouble." /also ranty
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Pop'n'Fresh on Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:32 pm

swsa wrote:I guess my unpopular opinion about Kristen Stewart is that I don't buy for a second that she's not interested in the fame or being a movie star. One doesn't make the choices she's made if all you want is to do your little indie films unbothered. Jumper, Zathura, Twilight, Snow White, and now maybe Akira. Regardless of whether they succeeded or not, they're all attempts at a big, mainstream career. And I think her PR team has been very savvy in making her more fashion-friendly and approachable in the last couple years.
Yeah, I think she's absolutely intent on becoming a big mainstream movie star and is pursuing that (both through her choice of roles and an aggressive PR campaign) very hard.

Pop'n'Fresh

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynara on Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:51 pm

I've always thought it's hilarious that many people (not here, people in general) appear to have no idea Kristen Stewart was ever in ANYTHING before Twilight, and is actually a pretty good actress. She's been working since she was an androgynous 10-year-old! Did you never see Panic Room on TNT?

Cynara

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 on Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:21 pm

I watched Speak a few months back, and K Stew was really good in that Of course, her slouchy, mumbly style worked well for the character.
She was good in The Runaways, though.
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:08 pm

I (still) find Jude Law INSANELY hot. What can I say, he is my exact type (except for, y'know, personality). When I saw him appear in Hugo I think I clasped my hands together and sighed aloud.

There, just wanted to get that off my chest.
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:01 pm

I think hes hot too.

I mean his hairline is jacked but whatever the rest of him is still good.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:56 am

My unpopular opinion is that I never found Jude remotely hot even when he was at the height of his fame a few years ago. He's not a bad-looking guy, but there's nothing particularly stunning or attractive about him to me either.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear on Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:53 am

I love Jude Law, too. Or maybe I just love him as Dr. Watson to RDJ's Sherlock Holmes. You know, whatever. Cough.
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:55 am

I think hes a great actor. He had that year where he was in everything and it was like ugh, but I usually love his performances in general.

And I maintain he was the best thing in AI: Artificial Intelligence
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:04 am

I have a soft spot for him due to Music from Another Room. One of those little movies no one saw, but I thought he was totally charming in it.
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle on Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:59 am

Kiran wrote:And I maintain he was the best thing in AI: Artificial Intelligence

You would be entirely correct.

And yeah, he's perfect opposite RDJ. That movie got the Holmes/Watson relationship so, so right, and a huge part of that is the chemistry between the two leads. (His delivery of "I'm on my honeymoon!" in the trailer for the sequel never fails to crack me up.)

While we're on the subject of actors-everyone-is-supposed-to-be-attracted-to, I'm really glad Brad Pitt has aged into "movie star we're supposed to take seriously" instead of "movie star who is OMGSOHOT" that was getting shoved at us a few years back. Because seriously, the man does nothing for me. He's not ugly or anything, but lookswise I find him so... blah. (He isn't half bad at that acting thing he does, though.)
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 on Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:21 am

queenofdenile wrote:I have a soft spot for him due to Music from Another Room. One of those little movies no one saw, but I thought he was totally charming in it.

I totally saw that movie. You're right, he was good in it.
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  The Glen on Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:03 am

I agree about Brad Pitt, with the exception of A River Runs Through It. For whatever reason, he was really handsome in that, while I don't find him so in much else.

The Glen
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  katha on Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:16 pm

I don't find Law attractive, but I think he's a very good actor. And I can easily believe that his (former?) looks may have actually hurt him somewhat there, in that people weren't ready to take him seriously. Of course they also contributed to his fame etc. etc., so I don't pity him or anything, but IMO he's somewhat misperceived.

katha

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa on Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:26 pm

Jude Law really did have one of my favorite SNL's ever and I think it's half the reason I've never written him off. His monologue was great and a TRUE monologue. And omg, I still crack up just remembering his Peter O'Toole impression.
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho on Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:39 pm

I think the only time I noticed Jude Law is as Watson. But it could be the facial hair and the chemistry with RDJ getting in the way. Other times, I just don't see it.

My thing is that I will always consider Brad Pitt hot. I remember he basically made me realize what the big deal was about boys when I was 16, thanks to Thelma and Louise. I also think he's a good actor if you give him something quirky and fun to play with. If you give him something leading-mannish is (I'M LOOKING AT YOU TROY), he seems to freeze up and become this wooden, Silly-putty thing which is not fun.
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top