Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unpopular Fame Opinions You Hold

+99
jstilwe
rivki8699
LadyGayle
ActonBell
Agent Sculder
Gillian
Paris, Texas
gannetguts
Binky
wenchsenior
Gilraen
puddingcup
Morning Angel
slmader
Snarryfan
naughty zoot
Genevieve
ulkis
Melk
Raksha
draco vulgaris
punkysdilemma
mandalaya
Never Enough
dionneshea
Jude
Skyblade
bosoxgirl
Red Wolf
easybreezy
PrincessCleo
mayram
Rhilin
Gallifrey Girl
maxell131313
Kookla
Swarley
oxymoron
Tabby
mrinsouciance
punzy
Corvus
UmaOprah
Coneycat
big chicken
eco
sobe
sunni94
truecrystal
Heather
Putli Bai
VodouDoll
Decca
TiffanyNichelle
Algae
Esseilte
Lis
laddical
mialoubug
bbridges
Eris Rising
Cutebutpsycho
eventide82
Poubelle
Unlucky Bear
Kiran
Cynara
Instant Monkeys
blixie
swsa
Pop'n'Fresh
Miss Moneypenny
Evil Lincoln
mokey75
Matinee
QueenSix
katha
Jasmine
Crowbridge
dinahmoe
Carrie Ann
jcpdiesel21
sagitare
curryalley
biakbiak
caltrask55
Pumpkin Cake
katesti
paablish
Ceci
The Glen
blooey
whatthedeuce
Grainne Mhaol
Sheli
The Dude
tothemax
19uses
queenofdenile
103 posters

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Go down

Unpopular Fame Opinions You Hold - Page 4 Empty Re: Unpopular Fame Opinions You Hold

Post  Instant Monkeys Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:54 pm

I did love Jude Law on SNL. That Peter O'Toole thing was gold.

I first fell in love with his hotness in Gattaca, and then it was cemented in The Talented Mr. Ripley (which was practically a two-hour advertisement for Jude Law's hotness, so, let's just say they made a sale). In recent years I've felt his looks have declined, but then in Hugo he looked super hot again (albeit in a more mature dad-ish way), and I was relieved, heh. Maybe he got some hair plugs or something.

I also thought he was great in A.I., but I am a giant stan for that movie so that's par for the course. (Exception: Robin Williams.)

I've said this many a time, and I certainly don't think it's unpopular anymore, but talking of matinee idols, Tom Cruise has never done a SINGLE THING for me, and it has nothing to do with the Scientology stuff or the height or any of the other stuff about him. Right from Top Gun and all his peak stuff, I have never seen it AT ALL. The famous smile just looks cheesy to me. Maybe something about his nose and his...face. I don't know. He does nothing for me.

I also have to add Patrick Swayze to that list. I think he seems like an AWESOME guy, I have a lot of fondness for him, and I was terribly sad when he died (and he certainly was a fine physical specimen, objectively speaking), but even when Dirty Dancing and Ghost were out and everyone was swooning I never understood what on earth was supposed to be so attractive about him. I think his face is kind of hideous actually. Was it JUST the body? Maybe when I was 13 he was too much man for me to appreciate and it forever colored my feelings for him or something. But, yeah. Never got it. Again, would have enjoyed hanging out with him because he seemed delightful. But attracted, no.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Unpopular Fame Opinions You Hold - Page 4 Empty Re: Unpopular Fame Opinions You Hold

Post  mokey75 Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:32 pm

Instant Monkeys wrote:
I've said this many a time, and I certainly don't think it's unpopular anymore, but talking of matinee idols, Tom Cruise has never done a SINGLE THING for me, and it has nothing to do with the Scientology stuff or the height or any of the other stuff about him. Right from Top Gun and all his peak stuff, I have never seen it AT ALL. The famous smile just looks cheesy to me. Maybe something about his nose and his...face. I don't know. He does nothing for me.
I've never, ever liked Tom Cruise. I've never seen the appeal. Maybe I was just this side of too young for him when he started getting hot, but mostly, he's always creeped me out. I think I've told this story before, but my good friend hates him because of the way he runs, which is all purposeful and forced. It's very "I. AM. RUNNING." (Not in the Forest Gump way.) After she gave a 10 minute diatribe on it once, I can't not notice it anymore. And he runs in like every movie!

I don't get Zooey Deschanel. She's pretty and all, but 500 Days of Summer was soooo boring to me. (Though I did laugh for about 10 minutes at the ending when
Spoiler:
) She's really annoying on New Girl, and the over-the-top twee/hipster/ridiculousness of her and Justin Long together on the show is over the top. And that whiny-yet-breathy-yetmanic voice she has on the show grates.
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:26 pm

I love Zooey -- I think it was back on the old board where I explained my inability to resist her despite my awareness that there are things about her that are obnoxious. And I really like New Girl. BUT. I saw her on Craig Ferguson, and her voice was SO ANNOYING that it dimmed my love for her a bit. She had SUCH a drawling, Valley Girl-sounding (to my ears at least) California accent that I almost couldn't listen to her. I realize she grew up there, but she also must tamp down on it a little when acting because I've NEVER heard it that much before. She also wore a Minnie Mouse dress and ears with a bow -- it was Halloween, and she SAID it was because she accidentally left her real dress at home, but, that was a step (or more) over the line for me, man.

So I still love her and I still enjoy New Girl, but I would like her to dial it back just a tad. Also, I'm really tired of how short Jess's dresses are. Since she's a TEACHER, a profession that is used a lot as justification for her cutesiness and childlike behaviors and quirky t-shirts, shouldn't she want to take steps not to flash anyone while climbing around on the floor with the kids?
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:13 pm

Zooey seems like a lovely person, but man, she annoys me so much now. She's just the cutesiest, quirkiest poster girl for the hipster community, and that charm has worn thin with me. I don't think she tries to be quirky or cutesy, but that's how she always comes off to me, and it grates on my nerves.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:32 pm

She makes me want to kick puppies. There is nothing like whimsy, especially from a grown-ass woman, to bring out my cranky side.
Miss Moneypenny
Miss Moneypenny

http://daisyrazor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:48 pm

Instant Monkeys wrote:
So I still love her and I still enjoy New Girl, but I would like her to dial it back just a tad. Also, I'm really tired of how short Jess's dresses are. Since she's a TEACHER, a profession that is used a lot as justification for her cutesiness and childlike behaviors and quirky t-shirts, shouldn't she want to take steps not to flash anyone while climbing around on the floor with the kids?

I don't mind her so much in interviews and the like (though she is overly precious), but New Girl just sets my teeth on edge. I've tried to watch it twice now due to my appreciation of her in previous roles, but I came too close to smashing the television too many times. Now my wife won't let me watch it lest we end up having to invest in a new TV.
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:18 pm

Don't let Sean Penn see this thread!
The Dude
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:20 pm

Zooey Deschanel has the style and persona that I usually hate, but I love her. I love her singing voice, I want her wardrobe, and I think she's actually a very thoughtful and interesting person.

I think that's the reason I DON'T watch New Girl. Because I want to continue liking her, and if I watch the show, I'm almost certain I will feel like most of you here.
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:47 pm

I actually really like the New Girl. I find it charming.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Pop'n'Fresh Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:15 pm

Jude Law said something not so nice about David Tennant when they were in competing (except not, because theatre shouldn't be a competition) Hamlets a few years ago, and is thus dead to me.

I watched Wall Street not long ago and can't believe how hot and charming Charlie Sheen is in it. I feel all dirty for that.

Pop'n'Fresh

Back to top Go down

Post  bbridges Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:33 pm

Kiran wrote:I actually really like the New Girl. I find it charming.

I agree. I've always been meh on Zooey herself and the show started off annoying me but it kind of grew on me. I have problems with the show but it absolutely makes me laugh and I like her in it.
bbridges
bbridges

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:36 pm

I agree. Its gotten a lot better recently. I think because Schmidt has really become a break out, and the rest of the supporting cast is holding its own.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:33 am

I kind of hate how much Zooey Deschnel is pushed as this totally indie, alternative actress... like she doesn't have two well-connected parents.

There was also this interveiw a few months back where she talked about the fact that someone's taste in music or movies says nothing about who they are as a person, or their ability to make movies/music, like it was some huge revelation. I'm sorry, but if you're over the age of 30 and think that even needs to be said, you have a lot of catching up to do. (I mean, maybe if you're over the age of 30 and doling out life advice to teenagers, then I'd understand.) Though that statement did make me think the hipster thing she's got going is probably coming from who she genuinely is.
Poubelle
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:22 am

Yeah, I think she's a hipster because that's who she actually is and not because she's putting on some facade or anything. Doesn't make her any less annoying. In fact, I think I might actually like her a bit more if I knew she were putting on some act to try to be as hipsterish as possible!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:26 am

Hah, I would totally love an actress (or any celebrity, really) who played at the hipster thing to get fans/attention/a fame niche or something, but deep down just liked leaving the Top 40 station on in the car and rushed some Greek organization in college, and whose idea of a good weekend involved beer and watching whatever pro sport was in season, maybe taking in the latest blow-shit-up blockbuster. But they switched to wearing American Apparel and talking about the latest Sub Pop release and oh em gee Godard and maybe bought a fixie because their team said it was more "marketable."

It would be, well, ironic.
Poubelle
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:44 pm

For me, the sincerity in her image is what makes me like her more. If there's anything more annoying than hipsters, it's ironic making fun of hipsters while doing the very same thing hipsters do.

This comparison may seem weird but that's also why I still like Lady Gaga (even though sometimes I want to say, "Okay, we get it, hon. Everyone sees you.") Zooey Deschanel and Lady Gaga have completely different images they portray to the public but I don't think it's an act for either of them. I think Zooey really is just that cute and Lady Gaga really is just that weird.
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:45 pm

I actually really like Nicki Minaj because her weirdness seems so genuine while it often feels to me that Lady Gaga is more putting on a show for everyone. That's not to say that I dislike Gaga or don't think she's intrinsically an oddball, but I usually get the feeling that she's being blatantly weird for the sake of maintaining her public persona rather than because she actually wants to wear or do the things that she does.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:24 pm

I enjoy Lady Gaga but I agree. I think she is intrinsically weird but I also think at this point shes just desperate to top herself.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:42 pm

whatthedeuce wrote:I actually really like Nicki Minaj because her weirdness seems so genuine while it often feels to me that Lady Gaga is more putting on a show for everyone. That's not to say that I dislike Gaga or don't think she's intrinsically an oddball, but I usually get the feeling that she's being blatantly weird for the sake of maintaining her public persona rather than because she actually wants to wear or do the things that she does.

I thought that until I saw the holiday special. Now I'm beginning to re-suspect that she actually is that strange.
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  mialoubug Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:07 pm

Post mokey75 Yesterday at 12:32 pm

Instant Monkeys wrote:

I've never, ever liked Tom Cruise. I've never seen the appeal. Maybe I was just this side of too young for him when he started getting hot, but mostly, he's always creeped me out. I think I've told this story before, but my good friend hates him because of the way he runs, which is all purposeful and forced. It's very "I. AM. RUNNING." (Not in the Forest Gump way.) After she gave a 10 minute diatribe on it once, I can't not notice it anymore. And he runs in like every movie!

I was JUST talking with coworkers about this yesterday! Because I'm wicked old, I remember when Cruise busted out of Risky Business. I couldn't stand him. I've never seen Top Gun or Jerry Maguire or any of his top films. I only ever saw him in Magnolia, where I thought he was decent. Other than that, he does nothing for me.
mialoubug
mialoubug

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:06 am

The only role that I can stand Tom Cruise in is in the Mission: Impossible series, in which he does an EXCELLENT job of playing Tom Cruise as a secret agent. Other than that? I'm a hipster Tom Cruise hater: I hated him before hating him was cool.
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:56 am

I actually just saw an interview of Tom's today, and man, he is looking damn good for 49!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:59 am

I love Movie Star Tom Cruise, couldn't care less about Real Life Tom Cruise. But his presence is pretty much a guarantee of my butt in a seat. I don't know why. Magnolia, Jerry Maguire, Top Gun, and the Missions: Impossible are a few lifetimes worth of goodwill in my book, I guess.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Lis Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:20 am

Ha, mialoubug, reading this thread I just wanted ot go back to that as well! I feel exactly the same, there, as Instant Monkeys!
And mokey, this is for you...

Lis

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:28 am

Lis, that is a.mazing. I cannot wait to send it to my friend. (I once mailed her a picture of Tom Cruise on-set getting ready to take off, and she called and cussed me out for 10 minutes, heh.)
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next