View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Hunger Games

Post  jensa on Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:47 pm

New posters!
jensa

Back to top Go down

Re: The Hunger Games

Post  swsa on Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:57 pm

Not really getting why they decided "plastic dolls" was the way to go with this art work.
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed on Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:03 pm

Not crazy about the art either but loved seeing Haymitch and Cinna!

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:13 pm

Oh Jesus H. Christ I totally forgot the man who haunts my nightmares is playing Cinna. There is just so no way I can even *try* to watch this movie even if it didn't look like it sucked in other ways.

blixie
Mod Squad

http://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:31 pm

I was leading a freshman book club meeting yesterday, they were reading Hunger Games, and they were all really excited about the movie. They really liked Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss (apparently the author hand picked her for the role?), but they were unsure about Woody Harrelson as Haymitch.

The posters do look a bit artificial, but considering the futuristic nature of the film I can understand why they went with something more otherworldly.
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:09 pm

Plastic dolls seems to be Summits thing.

I am still excited.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:13 pm

I think the artificialness lends an otherworldly quality to a futuristic movie.

I'm excited about the movie too. I was leading a freshman book club meeting yesterday, and they were all really excited. They loved Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss (apparently the author hand picked her?), and they weren't sure about Woody Harrelson as Haymitch. It was interesting getting a different point of view from the targeted demographic.
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:44 pm

I think those posters would be perfect for a film adaptation of, say, Scott Westerfeld's Uglies series, where the characters in that world are surgically altered at the age of 16 to upgrade from "Uglies" to "Pretties" to fit a cookie-cutter, ultra-clean, rigid, plastic standard of beauty.

But in an adaptation of The Hunger Games, I want to see dirt and grime and the appearance of people being actually hungry. I want the arena and initial presentation outfits to look artificial, not for the whole WORLD of Panem to look artificial.

Of course it's too early to tell if it WILL look like that, since right now, all we have are a handful of character posters. But the teaser trailer gave us a Katniss who looked like she could've been a Girl Scout just going for a hike in her backyard, so, I'm skeptical.

And now that I'm thinking of Uglies, it occurs to me that while JL doesn't fit my image of Katniss, she fits my mental image of Tally Youngblood much more closely...
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Grainne Mhaol on Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:37 pm

I kind of feel the same way, queenofdenile. It's all a bit clean and pristine so far. I want more dirt and grime, dammit! I'm also nervous about how much violence they can get away with in a PG-13 movie. It's not that I want blood and guts, but the impact of the deaths in the book was so devastating that I'm not sure how they can replicate it onscreen.
Grainne Mhaol

http://foodcultureinireland.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 on Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:27 pm

Ooh, I don't know about the long hair on Haymitch. It seems a bit...too young? Anyway, plastic-ness aside, based on those posters, Gale and Peeta are almost exactly how I pictured them, and even Katniss to a certain extent.

I'm really looking forward to this movie.
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:33 pm

eventide82 wrote:Ooh, I don't know about the long hair on Haymitch. It seems a bit...too young? Anyway, plastic-ness aside, based on those posters, Gale and Peeta are almost exactly how I pictured them, and even Katniss to a certain extent.

I'm really looking forward to this movie.

I know, right? The long hair on Haymitch threw me.
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:48 pm

Nothing about those posters says "The Hunger Games" to me. Not even the logo. Effie looks like she'd be on the poster for the latest Cirque du Soleil show, which I guess fits, but again... if I didn't know it was Effie I was looking at I never would have guessed it.

Gale, especially, looks like he's on an American Eagle poster or something, not a day away from starvation in a Shithole Future.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:24 pm

Josh Hutcherson looks about 13 to me in that poster. It's quite a contrast since Liam Hemsworth appears very manly and mature in his individual poster. Still not over the casting of Lenny as Cinna. I keep going "WTF?" everytime I remember that he'll actually be in the films.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  paablish on Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:45 pm

This is way too pretty for me. I agree with queenofdenile it looks like an Uglies promo more. I met a guy who was an extra on the set and the pictures he showed me were a bit more grimy, so here's hoping.

paablish

Back to top Go down

Post  rivki8699 on Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:30 pm

Rue looks like she's going to break my heart.

And thinking about the posters as art created by the Capital, the plasticness makes sense. Everything has to look pretty, before the games begin.
rivki8699

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:35 pm

That poster makes me think Rue looks like a high school student, not a twelve year old.
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:40 pm

Its probably just the poster because imdb says the actress only turned 12 a couple days ago.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:43 pm

That's why I was surprised by the poster and specified it was the poster I was talking about because all the photos I have seen she looked like a twelve year old.
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:44 pm

Ah. Probably just shopping. Summit has never had the best marketing.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:55 pm

rivki8699 wrote:Rue looks like she's going to break my heart.

And thinking about the posters as art created by the Capital, the plasticness makes sense. Everything has to look pretty, before the games begin.

That makes so much sense. Thanks for pointing it out!
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:54 pm

rivki8699 wrote:And thinking about the posters as art created by the Capital, the plasticness makes sense. Everything has to look pretty, before the games begin.

I like your take on it, rivki. Everyone was dolled up for their pre-Games interviews and stuff before the Games, so the posters looking glamorous rather than gritty would make sense.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Maestro on Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:26 am

I like the gold eyeliner on Cinna. Liam has a really ugly profile... damn.

Maestro

Back to top Go down

Post  curryalley on Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:30 pm

Still excited for this. I'm reserving my judgey for the trailer.

curryalley

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:42 pm

I don't think they look glamorous, though. Not overly stylized or fashionable or anything. Just fake and plastic. Even Effie covered in weird makeup doesn't scream glamor to me. They look like mannequins and not quite human. I get the "glamor before the games" approach in theory, but if that's what they were going for, it didn't come across, IMO.

I do love Rue's pose with her downcast, soulful eyes. She looks right for the part.
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:31 pm

queenofdenile wrote:I don't think they look glamorous, though. Not overly stylized or fashionable or anything. Just fake and plastic. Even Effie covered in weird makeup doesn't scream glamor to me. They look like mannequins and not quite human. I get the "glamor before the games" approach in theory, but if that's what they were going for, it didn't come across, IMO.

I do love Rue's pose with her downcast, soulful eyes. She looks right for the part.

I agree. I don't really see any metacommentary going on with these pictures - there's no sense of these being something that people in-universe would see. That would be a really cool idea, but I would expect a lot more flash and pizzazz.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 14 1, 2, 3 ... 7 ... 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top