The Hunger Games

Page 2 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Hunger Games

Post  Carrie Ann on Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:37 pm

queenofdenile wrote:I don't think they look glamorous, though. Not overly stylized or fashionable or anything. Just fake and plastic. Even Effie covered in weird makeup doesn't scream glamor to me. They look like mannequins and not quite human.

I think that's why Effie's the only one I really love. I always pictured her sort of looking not-quite human, so that picture totally works for me. The others I agree are not really ideal for the tone of the movie, but I hope that's a failure of marketing, and not of the final product.
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  The Lady of Shalott on Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:50 pm

Vanity Fair did a spread on the film, and while the photos are really "Vanity Fair wants this to be like Twilight," Jennifer Lawrence's interview sounds better.

When I auditioned, I told [director] Gary [Ross], “I understand if you don’t hire me, but please remember that after Katniss shoots a bow and kills someone, her face cannot be badass.” So there’s nothing cool about her. It’s not like she looks around the arena and goes, Yeah, I got this. I think she looks around helplessly, and thinks, I made a promise to my sister that I would survive; now I have to kill in order to do so.

That sounds pretty promising! I still have my fingers crossed that this will turn out well somehow.
The Lady of Shalott

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:55 pm

It sounds like she's taking the role really seriously. I'm glad they cast her.
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:20 pm

When I auditioned, I told [director] Gary [Ross], “I understand if you don’t hire me, but please remember that after Katniss shoots a bow and kills someone, her face cannot be badass.”

I like this a lot.

But shit, no kidding about Vanity Fair wanting this to be Twilight. Those pictures look like a J.Crew spread.
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  narfzz on Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:17 pm

rivki8699 wrote:Rue looks like she's going to break my heart.

And thinking about the posters as art created by the Capital, the plasticness makes sense. Everything has to look pretty, before the games begin.

I agree!

I'm mentally preparing myself so as not to break down in tears in the theater. I can't imagine how everything is going to be translated over to movie. I wonder how they're going to do Rue's death and Katniss' singing, I'm expecting tears at that part at the very least.

narfzz

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:50 pm

Actually for a second, I thought I was looking at the Twilight cast photos that Vanity Fair did a few years ago. It looks like the same type of setting and posing. They're not putting much thought into these things, are they?!

Also, Josh Whatshisname, the guy playing Peeta, looks about ten in the cast photo. I had a hard time finding him in it at the start.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:34 am

I'm grateful and not at all surprised that Jennifer Lawrence is taking the role that seriously. Katniss is a badass but not because she consciously wants to come across that way. She's a young girl in a horrible situation who has to kill to survive, and I'm sure Jennifer will convey that brilliantly.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Maestro on Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:53 am

She looks beautiful in the photos. I still feel like the guys were a giant miscast though. I hope the acting brings it because Peeta looks way too young and Gale looks way too old.

Maestro

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Username on Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:13 am

I was sceptical about Jennifer Lawrence's casting at first, because as has already been said Katniss is supposed to be small and undernourished, and JL looks like a perfectly healthy twenty-something year old. I really like her as an actor though, there's a scene in X-Men: First Class where Raven and Xavier are in a bar, and Xavier introduces Raven as his sister. At that point JL gets a look on her face that's kind of...vulnerable, but pleased. It's hard to explain, but between that and the interview The Lady of Shalott linked to it seems like she really Gets It.

Bad Username

Back to top Go down

Post  curryalley on Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:11 pm

Bad Username wrote:I was sceptical about Jennifer Lawrence's casting at first, because as has already been said Katniss is supposed to be small and undernourished, and JL looks like a perfectly healthy twenty-something year old. I really like her as an actor though, there's a scene in X-Men: First Class where Raven and Xavier are in a bar, and Xavier introduces Raven as his sister. At that point JL gets a look on her face that's kind of...vulnerable, but pleased. It's hard to explain, but between that and the interview The Lady of Shalott linked to it seems like she really Gets It.

To be fair, JL had her 21st birthday in August so she barely qualifies as a twentysomething. And I don't want the cast to look dangerously underfed because it's dangerous for the actors - who knows how many years Christian Bale has taken off his life with the way his weight has gone to extrememes for parts. "She looks too healthy!" seems unfair criticism when you're comparing Book Katniss to a glammed up movie star.

curryalley

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:49 pm

To be fair, JL had her 21st birthday in August so she barely qualifies as a twentysomething. And I don't want the cast to look dangerously underfed because it's dangerous for the actors - who knows how many years Christian Bale has taken off his life with the way his weight has gone to extrememes for parts. "She looks too healthy!" seems unfair criticism when you're comparing Book Katniss to a glammed up movie star.

I agree. She's definitely skinny, and I wouldn't want any actress to put their health at risk just for a role. You don't want to be seen glorifying anorexic figures.
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Username on Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:45 pm

Thanks curryalley, I wasn't sure how old she is. I definitely don't want any of the actors to diet Christian Bale-style, I guess the problem is there's no 'good' way to portray undernourished children on film.

Bad Username

Back to top Go down

Post  curryalley on Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:48 pm

Bad Username wrote:Thanks curryalley, I wasn't sure how old she is. I definitely don't want any of the actors to diet Christian Bale-style, I guess the problem is there's no 'good' way to portray undernourished children on film.

I agree there's not a good way to show it. I think in terms of the film, the world building fills in those gaps. It just can't be shown on screen the way it is in the book.

curryalley

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa on Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:23 am

Trailer is out. I don't know. Jennifer looks good to me. But there's a flatness to the direction here that's underwhelming. And Josh is still really not working for me.
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:38 am

How did I miss the casting of Wes Bentley? He looks good, ridiculous facial hair and all.

Creepy Lenny Kravitz is creepy. Yergh.

Hemsworth looks kind of terrible. Hutcherson actually worked in the training scenes. The whole thing just has a very *cheap* vibe to me which is disappointing. I really wish someone like Alfonso Cuarón had directed it.

blixie
Mod Squad

http://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:40 am

Jennifer looks good to me. But there's a flatness to the direction here that's underwhelming. And Josh is still really not working for me.

Agreed on all three counts. Jennifer looks good and seems very right for Katniss performance-wise, based on the snippets, but Josh as Peeta just looks wrong. I can buy Jennifer as Katniss OR Josh as Peeta - the combination, however, doesn't work for me. Looks-wise, anyway. I don't know enough about the casting process to know if they read extensively together, or if they were cast separately and then thrown together on-screen. Whether they have the right chemistry acting-wise or not, I don't know - too soon to tell for that one.

And I don't dig the cinematography or direction at all.
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:59 am

I liked it. It didn't blow me away, but nothing about it made me think the movie is going to not be good either. I think the problem was that they tried to put too much in the trailer.
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:44 pm

I AM EXCITED!!!

I'm sure I'll have thoughtful critical things to say about it eventually, but for now I just thought it was awesome. AWESOME!! I can't wait.

I'm having Harry Potter flashbacks to the weirdness of hearing stuff that you've only read pronounced out loud. It's "Mell-ARK"? I thought it was "MELL-ark." And "Pan-EM," not "PAN-em"? Crazy.
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl on Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:14 pm

I'm very excited by the trailer, I thought it was great. Also thrown by the pronunciation of Peeta's last name.

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  BreezyK on Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:18 pm

I really liked a lot of it. The kids in their drab clothes going to the Reaping? The craziness of the stadium during the interviews? The beginning of the Games? LOVED IT. But man, I'm just not feeling Peeta and I agree with queenofdenile that he just doesn't work with Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss. I'm really really hoping I can get over this because it looks otherwise awesome.

BreezyK

Back to top Go down

Post  curryalley on Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:32 pm

I thought it looked good, I am excited. Jennifer Lawrence is going to be great in this. I was surprised by how much we see Gale. I loved the way they included the video screens. Loved Cinna's "I'm here to help you make an impression," which was an excellent excellent touch.

curryalley

Back to top Go down

Post  BreezyK on Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:56 pm

curryalley wrote:I loved the way they included the video screens.

YES, this too! Even though I know that there's a lot of strategy around storytelling, what the Districts see isn't really talked about very much in the book, so I love that we might get to check in on how the story of the Games is being portrayed to the Districts through this format. Very excited about that part.

BreezyK

Back to top Go down

Post  Grainne Mhaol on Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:36 pm

I really liked it. Jennifer Lawrence looks fantastic, and I'm not too worried by the actor playing Peeta, mostly because it took ages for me to warm up to bookPeeta anyway. Here's hoping they handle the character development. There is a 'flatness' to some of it, but I'm putting that down to the unfinished nature of the beast. The start of the Games, though? Chills.
Grainne Mhaol

http://foodcultureinireland.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian on Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:17 pm

I haven't seen enough of Hutcherson as Peeta to be worried about him, or really even to get an impression. I think his hair looks weird, but that's small potatoes for me. I'm really excited about him, and I think he's going to do a great job. I really think he's going to pull it off. It'll be a bummer if I end up disappointed, but I've seem him be really good in other movies, and I think he gives off a kindness vibe that really matches Peeta to me.

Overall, I'm super excited. The trailer didn't get me all hyped up the way the Harry Potter trailers always managed to, but I liked so much of what I saw. I loved the screens, and I loved how extremely out of place Effie looked at the reaping. She was so, so awkward, but in a good way.

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  Genevieve on Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:19 pm

I am intrigued and excited.
Genevieve

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 14  Next