The Hunger Games

Page 12 of 14 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Hunger Games

Post  bbridges on Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:12 pm

Personally I'm still on the never left the station train of Jesse L Williams. He has such pretty eyes and would also rock the fishing net. I would accept Armie Hammer as a substitute.
bbridges

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell on Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:41 pm

Jessie L Williams is gorgeous, and I would love for him to play Finnick because it would enrage all of the racist twits who complained about the casting for Rue and Cinna.
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  Raised by wolves on Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:12 am

Finnick is only 24 though so that's way too young for JLW. He would be a great Chaff (who is either black or I assumed he was) and it would be great for me because Chaff lasts til the end of the book, thus maximizing the pretty.
I think The Rock would make a great Brutus and I doubt she'd take the part if it were offered but I can totally see Charlize Theron as Enobaria.

Raised by wolves

Back to top Go down

Post  Menshevixen on Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:04 pm

bbridges wrote:Personally I'm still on the never left the station train of Jesse L Williams. He has such pretty eyes and would also rock the fishing net. I would accept Armie Hammer as a substitute.

Pretty much my preferences on the topic.

This Claflin fellow is cute...but not godlike (and in SWATH he was, as stated, bland). Someone on Tumblr called Finnick "Helenus of Troy" and that's my thoughts. The actor should be astounding.
Menshevixen

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa on Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:28 pm

My issue with Claflin is there's just a distinct lack of...swagger. There's something very timid and polite about him that not only doesn't set the screen on fire, but makes him feel all wrong for Finnick for me.
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  Putli Bai on Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:48 pm

bbridges wrote:Personally I'm still on the never left the station train of Jesse L Williams. He has such pretty eyes and would also rock the fishing net. I would accept Armie Hammer as a substitute.

Ooooh, co-signed. Casting complete.
Putli Bai

Back to top Go down

Post  Paris, Texas on Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:59 pm

Ditto to those suggestions!

It probably makes little difference to the story if Finnick is older than 24 (kind of how it didn't matter if the audience assumed Katniss was 18 in the first film instead of 16). It would just mean he had been pimped out by the Capitol for several years longer, but be still young enough to have a bloom-of-health sex appeal. And yeah, it would be totally funny to witness the eruption if some ethnic dude was cast. Kind of how with the first Harry Potter movie a lot of fans complained about the ultimately irrelevant fact that Daniel Radcliffe didn't wear coloured contact lenses or that his eyes weren't CGI'd green. It is mindblowing how those whiners missed that Rue was black.

Speaking of Chaff, I can't recall what he was doing the whole time in the arena and I can't remember if we saw him at all in it. I assumed he was hunting down the careers. Was it revealed how he died? I pictured David Harewood as Chaff. However, the thought crossed my mind that if Wesley Snipes was cast he could have an onscreen reunion with Woody Harrelson. Though in no way, shape or form do I desire to see Wesley Snipes marring this franchise.

Paris, Texas

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken on Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:05 pm

I thought Wesley Snipes was in jail for failure to pay his taxes.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  vwlphb on Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:32 am

Sam Claflin officially cast as Finnick Odair.

vwlphb

Back to top Go down

Post  mandalaya on Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:36 pm

Yeah, Clafin doesn't seem like Finnick to me, but maybe they can pull off something amazing that transforms him. I hope so!
mandalaya

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:29 pm

Rented it and remained spoiler free. I'm impressed. Let's just say the last YA book series phenomena that I saw poisoned the well a bit.

It's obvious spiritual predecessor was Rollerball (the original James Cann one), but it stands equal to that movie.

Even though her character was supposed to be over the top I'm like how Elizabeth Banks took on the role. This is about the only instance I haven't been drooling at her, which means she did a good job. Reminds me of how Amy Proehler or Amy Sedaris would go all out in their comedic roles.

Now I understand some of the reactions I've got about my cat being named Cato.
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken on Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:51 pm

Jonathan from Buffy is in talks to adapt Mockinjay. I had no idea Danny Strong had transitioned into writing or that he'd won an Emmy for Game Change.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 on Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:09 am

He's been writing for a while - he was nominated for an Emmy in 2008 for writing Recount. I think he's going to go a long way as a writer, which pleases me. I met him a few years ago and he was a lovely guy.
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:35 am

Hes kind of an inspired choice too since his writing is so politically themed.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa on Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:45 pm

Teaser trailer for Catching Fire

I really liked it. Digging the Snow/Plutarch scenes a lot.
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:55 pm

I liked it a lot. I will always be a Peeta girl, but I was surprised at how well Liam Hemsworth came across. I mean I thought he was fine in the first one, but he didn't have a lot to do.

I am so excited to see the past victors, but I suspect they know that and thats why they are not showing them quite yet.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:18 pm

I'm glad they don't feel shackled to the Katniss-only POV of the books.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Putli Bai on Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:56 pm

laddical wrote:I'm glad they don't feel shackled to the Katniss-only POV of the books.

I agree. I think the next two movies have the potential to break the "the book was better" stereotype. There is an amazing story told in the trilogy, but having it all from Katniss' POV really hamstrings the telling of it.
Putli Bai

Back to top Go down

Post  Snarryfan on Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:47 am

The new movie is incredible. I was in a packed theatre, full of teenagers, and no one opened a phone and no one talked once the movie began--I think only two people got up to use the bathroom in the whole 2.5 hours. It is a wonderful adaptation of the book because it does not sacrifice the moments that made the book so great in order to make the movie "fit." The acting is superb and Jennifer Lawrence proves the Oscar was not a fluke. I saw it in regular theatre 2D.

Also, poor Not Thor.

Snarryfan

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynara on Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:58 pm

Heh. In my house we refer to him as Lesser Hemsworth.

Cynara

Back to top Go down

Post  jstilwe on Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:37 am

Loved it, and I really enjoyed the added depth to the characters. Peeta and Effie in particular get some nice development, and the love triangle is handled well.

My favorite moment was Elizabeth Smart's delivery of "That's not very festive!"

I can't imagine how they're going to do the third book; there's just too much crazy shit.

jstilwe

Back to top Go down

Post  dionneshea on Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:33 pm

I actually think that the third book, not unlike The Deathly Hallows, will benefit from being two movies. Usually I'm against that, because it seems like such a money grab, but there is too much story in the third book for one movie. Honestly, there was too much story in the third book for the third book to handle.

I saw it yesterday and Catching Fire was sooooo much better than The Hunger Games. The boys got more character development this time, so they were much more interesting and much less wooden. Haymitch was also developed nicely as was Effie. They struck the perfect chord with both Finnick and Johanna which will be so important in the next film. Actually, Beetee was also very well done, but Jeffrey Wright was unexpected perfect casting in that role. (I love him.)

They had to cut out a lot, and for the most part I didn't miss it, but I really think they should have kept in the scenes with the two refugees from 10 (?) trying to make it to District 13 so that wasn't so out of nowhere. I also thought they should have included in there somewhere the 2nd quarter quell and how Haymitch won it because it's so important to his character.

My only problem, which may seem major, but isn't in the grand scheme of things, is that I still think that Jennifer Lawrence was miscast and it has nothing to do with her appearance. I love her, I thought she was great in Winter's Bone, and very good in Silver Linings Playbook, but there doesn't seem to be any depth in her performance. It all seems surface mugging and wincing. Maybe part of that is the nature of the character as Katniss is so closed off, but honestly, it didn't seem to me like anything else was going on there. It was enough to pull me out of the film a couple of times.

But all in all, I would have given The Hunger Games a 6/10 and I'd give Catching Fire a solid 8/10. Maybe even an 8.5.
dionneshea

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude on Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:38 pm

I haven't seen it yet - probably will go tomorrow night - but would like to share The Onion's Review of Catching Fire because I just know I'm going to agree with it.

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:08 pm

I saw it last night. My review:

ROOOOOOOOOOOO! (sob)

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:45 pm

I re-read the trilogy this week. I never had the same level of problems with Mockingjay that it seems most people had, but upon re-reading it does seem to be something that could benefit from a two-film adaptation. Especially if they make the climax of the first part the "breaking" of the Nut and the rescue of Peeta.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 14 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top