The Hunger Games

Page 14 of 14 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Hunger Games

Post  inversed on Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:17 pm

The Dude wrote:
I know this is YA, so doubt there will be any allusion to the tons of hate sex I'm sure Effie and Hamich have.
I am with you 100% on this.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 on Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:11 am

inversed wrote:
The Dude wrote:
I know this is YA, so doubt there will be any allusion to the tons of hate sex I'm sure Effie and Hamich have.
I am with you 100% on this.

YES.
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynara on Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:42 am

Fourthed!

Cynara

Back to top Go down

Post  dionneshea on Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:58 pm

Anyone else catch Mockingjay this weekend? I'm wondering if it's going to do as well at the box office as the previous two. I went yesterday afternoon, and I don't think the theatre was even close to full. I mean, it was showing on three screens, but I was at the ATX (where you can book your seat ahead) and that's usually the one that fills up first.

I'm not sure what I thought about this one. Much less action, but that was to be expected. I think they've done an even better job at developing Coin's character than the book did. However, the movies make Snow out to be a much more cartoony, mustache-twirling villain than the books.

I wished there was more Finnick. The Katniss-Finnick friendship is one of my favourite parts of the book. I wasn't sure if it would be right, but in the end I liked that they gave Effie the Fulvia and prep team parts of the book. Haymitch felt like he was barely there, but Woody was greats in the scenes that he was present.

There was little-to-no focus on the romances, so that was great. There was an acknowledgement that Katniss loves Peeta, but it's clear that as much as she knows she loves him, she doesn't know in what way. And she does kiss Gale once, but it's marred by the fact that he knows she's only doing it because she feels badly for him.

I did think the scene where Peeta returns was great. I didn't expect it to be so violent. And kudos to Hutcherson and the make-up team, because he looked like a different person by the end of the movie.

I had actually forgotten Philip Seymour Hoffman was dead until they had the dedication at the end. He is enjoyable in the role.
dionneshea

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:25 pm

I really enjoyed it, but thought they should have ended it two minutes earlier (during the first cut to black). The audience thought that was the end and the groaning was palpable. But then it came back and went on for two more minutes and ended in a much less intense place.

Otherwise, I really enjoyed it.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian on Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:24 am

I did think the scene where Peeta returns was great. I didn't expect it to be so violent.
I was genuinely surprised by how far they took that scene. I thought it was a good choice, but I wasn't expecting it at all. And I agree with Laddical, I really wanted the movie to end there.

There was little-to-no focus on the romances, so that was great. There was an acknowledgement that Katniss loves Peeta, but it's clear that as much as she knows she loves him, she doesn't know in what way. And she does kiss Gale once, but it's marred by the fact that he knows she's only doing it because she feels badly for him.
I thought they handled this so well. I think they conveyed perfectly how important both Peeta and Gale are to her, but everybody is so damn traumatized that any real focus on romance would have been ridiculous. I think I remember being annoyed about that in the last book, but it's been so long I might be remembering wrong. Of course, now that Peeta's back it'll probably kick up a notch in the next one, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

I wanted more Finnick, but I'm glad they managed to keep in the bits about what his life was like after he won his games. That was really messed up and sad, and I had wondered if they were going to make room for it in the movie. I don't think that whole sequence was edited particularly well, but I was glad they got it in there.

Overall I thought it was well done and really enjoyed it. I think I liked Catching Fire better, but a lot of that has to do with how much these half-movies annoy me in the first place.

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:15 pm

laddical wrote:I really enjoyed it, but thought they should have ended it two minutes earlier (during the first cut to black). The audience thought that was the end and the groaning was palpable. But then it came back and went on for two more minutes and ended in a much less intense place.

Otherwise, I really enjoyed it.

I thought that was what they were going to do. Ending with Peeta screaming was creepy, though. I felt it was a bit boring and dragged for the first half, but was tighter in the second half.

Effie was awesome. I loved her so much.

I thought the melody they wrote for "Hanging Tree" was really great, and dove tailed nicely into the scene at the hydroelectric plant. I've listened to it over and over again, and they nailed the Appalachian folk song tone.

And anyone who has been to Dragon*Con probably recognized the Downtown Atlanta Marriott for the Tributes Tower scenes.
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  Snarryfan on Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:03 pm

I continue to love Donald Sutherland. He is so creepy and so effective in the role--plus it is great to watch him and Lawrence who have a really interesting give/take.

Snarryfan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kookla on Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:51 pm

I thought this improved upon the terribly written third book substantially, and was pleasantly surprised given the mediocre reviews it has been getting. I still think Book Three could have been reworked into one excellent movie instead of two mediocre-good ones, but I have to say that the book's material really benefited from the visual medium. Like, a lot.

Things that especially worked:
- downplaying how angry Katniss was at Haymitch, because they really didn't need to waste time on that conflict
- actually seeing the film crew following her, getting material for their propos; I especially like the way we could see how genuine, emotional moments were manipulated into propaganda in this regard
- speaking of genuine emotional moments: the song!! They did a great job with "The Hanging Tree." It was haunting.

I really enjoyed it, but thought they should have ended it two minutes earlier (during the first cut to black). The audience thought that was the end and the groaning was palpable. But then it came back and went on for two more minutes and ended in a much less intense place.
I totally disagree. I needed that thematic tie-in at the end. I liked the contrast between Coin's speech that was clearly meant to bolster the rebellion and sound optimistic ("We liberated the tributes, yaaaaaayyyy! Worship the cause! Worship my leadership!") juxtaposed with the actual damage caused to these so called "symbols" of the rebellion - Katniss and Peeta. Speaking of which:

And kudos to Hutcherson and the make-up team, because he looked like a different person by the end of the movie.

Seriously. His appearance was one of two things (the song being the other) that actually affected me and stayed with me after the movie was over. He looked precisely like someone who had been heavily tortured during an actual war.

I didn't think it was amazing, but it was definitely good.

Kookla

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynara on Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:18 pm

bookworm wrote:I thought the melody they wrote for "Hanging Tree" was really great, and dove tailed nicely into the scene at the hydroelectric plant.  I've listened to it over and over again, and they nailed the Appalachian folk song tone.
I stayed for the credits, and until I saw it, I thought they had used an actual Appalachian folk song. It's still stuck in my head.

Cynara

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:44 pm

I have JLaw's voice singing The Hanging Tree stuck in my head. I have somehow neglected to watch the first two THG films, but once I heard The Hanging Tree remix they play on the radio, I knew I had to hear the sparse version in the movie. It's so beautiful, and I love when the mass of voices kicks in. Overall, I really enjoyed this movie though I'm one of those who felt it should have ended right when Katniss blacks out to leave the audience with the biggest possible WTF??? cliffhanger. But I also understood the sorta overview of the last two minutes and how horribly everyone has suffered and will continue to suffer and struggle as the rebellion continues.

Donald Sutherland officially creeps me the fuck out after this movie. He is just perfect as Snow. I thought Josh Hutcherson really nailed the emotions in every Peete interview broadcast for Panem to see. The make-up jobs that made him look frailer with every interview were handled brilliantly. He seemed to be vanishing by the time Katniss seems him at the end.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  dionneshea on Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:51 pm

Has anyone else seen Part 2, yet? I went on the weekend, and the theatre was full-ish, but definitely not close to being full. I'm not surprised that the box office, while good, isn't what they were hoping for.

It was a good enough movie. Not as good as Catching Fire, but I think better than Part 1 of Mockingjay. I was surprised to see how much of it Philip Seymour Hoffman was in as I thought he died before they even started filming this movie. Some of it seemed oddly rushed, and there were some odd choices in there.
Spoiler:
I though Finnick would have a much bigger role, so that his death would have more of an impact. Ditto Prim.
I thought the way they left things with Katniss's mom and Gale were kind of abrupt and off. Not as abrupt as Johanna, Pollux and Cressida - none of whom even get mentioned after their final scenes. I thought maybe splitting the book into two movies would help flesh out those parts, but they really didn't.

Not the greatest movie I've seen. Not even the greatest movie I've seen this month, but I didn't resent my time or money, so obviously not terrible.
dionneshea

Back to top Go down

Post  Snarryfan on Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:09 pm

I saw it on Saturday. It was an evening show and the theatre wasn't quite 1/2 full. I liked it--particularly the scene between JLaw and Donald Sutherland. The two of them had a great chemistry and Sutherland brings this amazing blend of humor and menace to his few scenes. I found the "conclusion" to the war really moving, particularly in light of everything going on in the world with the refugee crisis. The moment that brought tears to my eyes was:
Spoiler:
The little girl in yellow screaming for her mother

I thought the movie improved upon the book whose ending always felt like Collins wrote herself into a corner.

Snarryfan

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:44 pm

dionneshea wrote:Not the greatest movie I've seen. Not even the greatest movie I've seen this month, but I didn't resent my time or money, so obviously not terrible.

Agreed. I don't know, maybe it should have been one movie.

To be honest . . . overall, I am still bothered by Peeta's casting. They shoulda gone with another actor, imo.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 14 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14

View previous topic View next topic Back to top