Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

eBay and Other Online Sellers

5 posters

Go down

eBay and Other Online Sellers Empty eBay and Other Online Sellers

Post  Escape Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:51 pm

I have been reminded this week of why I hate eBay with a burning passion. I listed my iPhone 4 with an auction price and a Buy It Now price on Sunday night. On Monday morning, a person with a brand new account and no feedback purchased it using Buy It Now. Almost 4 days later and there's been no communication from this person. No payment, no replies to emails, nothing. So I now have to cancel the transaction... but in order to do that I have to wait a certain amount of time for the buyer to respond and then eBay can take up to an additional 7 days to "make a decision" on my case. So now I have that much longer because some random ass person decided not to pay for what they bought. When I relist, I'm totally making it a pay immediately auction.
Escape
Escape

Back to top Go down

eBay and Other Online Sellers Empty Re: eBay and Other Online Sellers

Post  tothemax Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:22 pm

I've always sold my old iPhones on Craigslist. The upsides are cold hard cash and quick resolution (usually within hours of listing), though you will get spammed from someone in Kenya who wants to send his agent to buy the phone from you.

tothemax

Back to top Go down

Post  curryalley Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:25 pm

tothemax wrote:I've always sold my old iPhones on Craigslist. The upsides are cold hard cash and quick resolution (usually within hours of listing), though you will get spammed from someone in Kenya who wants to send his agent to buy the phone from you.

Nigerian princes need phones, too.

curryalley

Back to top Go down

Post  Escape Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:28 am

curryalley wrote:
tothemax wrote:I've always sold my old iPhones on Craigslist. The upsides are cold hard cash and quick resolution (usually within hours of listing), though you will get spammed from someone in Kenya who wants to send his agent to buy the phone from you.

Nigerian princes need phones, too.

Truer words, man.

This board may be magic! About 1 hour after I bitched about this here, the person finally replied to my request for cancellation. They said a family emergency caused them to forget to pay. Yeah, all those emails I sent, I'm sure you missed every single one of those.

Off to relist!
Escape
Escape

Back to top Go down

Post  mayram Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:04 pm

Escape wrote:I have been reminded this week of why I hate eBay with a burning passion. I listed my iPhone 4 with an auction price and a Buy It Now price on Sunday night. On Monday morning, a person with a brand new account and no feedback purchased it using Buy It Now. Almost 4 days later and there's been no communication from this person. No payment, no replies to emails, nothing. So I now have to cancel the transaction... but in order to do that I have to wait a certain amount of time for the buyer to respond and then eBay can take up to an additional 7 days to "make a decision" on my case. So now I have that much longer because some random ass person decided not to pay for what they bought. When I relist, I'm totally making it a pay immediately auction.

Ugh, that just happened to me recently too. And since eBay has this need to make everything 1000% harder on the seller, I managed to click some totally unclearly described button that started ANOTHER 7-day waiting period after I'd already waited out the first one. I was just trying to close the damn thing out so I could get my huge final value fee back and instead it wanted to give the buyer just one more chance to ignore me for 7 days.

though you will get spammed from someone in Kenya who wants to send his agent to buy the phone from you.

OMG, I don't remember if I posted about this at the old board or not, but I was in the post office a month or so ago and actually saw a person trying to cash a money order they got from one of these scams. It was FASCINATING. I mean, I know people must fall for it because the spammers keep trying, but I've never actually seen/met anyone who is that dumb.

It was super awkward for the post office guy to try to explain it all, he was showing the clueless one all of the subtle differences that the fake money order had and then the guy speaks up about how he's supposed to cash this and send money back to the person who gave it to him. You could pretty much see the clerk holding back the "OMG, how stupid are you??" I was totally riveted, I didn't even mind the huge line for once!

mayram

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:48 pm

mayram wrote:OMG, I don't remember if I posted about this at the old board or not, but I was in the post office a month or so ago and actually saw a person trying to cash a money order they got from one of these scams. It was FASCINATING. I mean, I know people must fall for it because the spammers keep trying, but I've never actually seen/met anyone who is that dumb.

It was super awkward for the post office guy to try to explain it all, he was showing the clueless one all of the subtle differences that the fake money order had and then the guy speaks up about how he's supposed to cash this and send money back to the person who gave it to him. You could pretty much see the clerk holding back the "OMG, how stupid are you??" I was totally riveted, I didn't even mind the huge line for once!
WOW! That's amazing. Yeah, I've always thought there MUST be people who fall for these things, but I've never met one in real life. The poor guy.

I think there was a New Yorker article a long time ago about Nigerian scammers and a guy who fell for them. Hmm. Ah, here it is! Fascinating stuff.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum