Video Games

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Video Games

Post  punzy on Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:09 am

You might try the other Elder Scrolls games (Morrowind, Oblivion). Are you after the sandbox, the fantasy genre, or both together?

Edit: I read 3PS as 3DS, I don't know why.

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf on Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:54 am

Well, I don't like to be railroaded. The semi-openness of Borderlands is fun. But I'm more interested in the fantasy angle. Right now, I want to play with virtual swords and bows and such.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy on Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:47 am

Have you tried Assassin's Creed 2 or Dragon Age: Origins? They both have quests, but in Assassin's Creed 2 you can ignore them at will (there are sometimes map points you can't get to for plot reasons) and in Dragon Age you can do them in pretty much whatever order you like. You also get to kill people and explore in Assassin's Creed, but the hero is way less fun. The older Elder Scrolls games should definitely work for you too.

Last edited by punzy on Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Matinee on Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:18 pm

Plus the Alistair romance in Dragon Age is, for a video game, pretty charming. I watched the husband play the first one and it was my favourite game to be a spectator for.

Matinee

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf on Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:19 am

I'm terribly bad at taking advice, even when I ask for it. I ended up trying Skyrim, and then Borderlands 2. Both of them are pretty good, in their own ways. I think I'll buy them both, once all the DLCs are out. Or, are there any plans just to release a complete DLC bundle at any point for either? I just want to minimise the number of transactions and downloads I have to do to have the full things.

Skyrim is really funny in a way. It's the ground, really. So full of lumps and bumps. I sort of pity whoever was responsible for putting them all in. What kind of job would it be to get up in the morning and spend the rest of your day modelling and placing rocks and trees?

Borderlands 2 makes me just a little bit annoyed. You see, when it comes to FPS games, I'm a cheater from way back. Usually just god mode. I play games for relaxation, not for constant stress and watching my health bar trickle down. I found instructions on how to activate god mode, but they don't seem to work. I'm having to learn how to play properly, and it's giving me a time. At least Salvador has regenerating ammo & health. That helps a little.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:24 pm

Red Wolf wrote:Skyrim is really funny in a way. It's the ground, really. So full of lumps and bumps. I sort of pity whoever was responsible for putting them all in. What kind of job would it be to get up in the morning and spend the rest of your day modelling and placing rocks and trees?
An AWESOME job! Hee. I know you were being flip/rhetorical, but I have always secretly wanted to be a videogame designer, except that I don't know how to design videogames and probably have no clue of what it actually involves and am way not good enough at computer-science stuff/programming/coding, but in my fantasy life that's one of my dream jobs. I really have the kind of constitution to sit and tweak things patiently over and over again. I actually think I would find it pretty relaxing to sit there with my graphics tools and add lumps and rocks to the ground.

Of course in reality it wouldn't be relaxing because I'd probably work for EA and be putting in 900 hours a week and never be caught up. But I can pretend.

Anyway! Reading this thread is bad for me because I always want to try all the games. I wish I had the time/money to get good at more of them.
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Matinee on Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:27 pm

Red Wolf wrote:
Borderlands 2 makes me just a little bit annoyed. You see, when it comes to FPS games, I'm a cheater from way back. Usually just god mode. I play games for relaxation, not for constant stress and watching my health bar trickle down. I found instructions on how to activate god mode, but they don't seem to work. I'm having to learn how to play properly, and it's giving me a time. At least Salvador has regenerating ammo & health. That helps a little.

Hahaha! This is why I also don't play that sort of game too much anymore. I used to cheat or wait for someone else to finish the game and run around chaotically. I don't like things to be hard. One game that I found rather fun in this way was Crackdown - it's less "epic" than you may be looking for, but it can be some really fun mindless play, and the skills aspect is enjoyable (if you don't just set it to god mode to start off).

Matinee

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:30 pm

My favorite mindless game is a finished version of either "Arkham Asylum" or "Arkham City". You don't really have anything to fear from any of the random thugs wandering around, but they're usually numerous enough that you can build up some fantastic combos and try out *all* of your tricks and gadgets - something that's hard to do during the game proper when you're worried about finishing a goal instead of just being fancy. The combat flow system is a thing of beauty and it really does feel like you're Batman (or Catwoman, in "City").
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  choubetcha on Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:52 pm

I saw this article on Skyrim's geology today and immediately thought of you all.

choubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post  Fiammetta on Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:57 pm

So I'd like to recommend Bioshock Infinite very, very highly. Just finished it. The less said about the ending the better, but I thought it was the best combination of storytelling and fun game mechanics (love that skyhook) I've seen in a long time. The themes are fairly dark, but meticulously thought out. Elizabeth is easily my favorite game companion ever. Her body language around you changes according to how she feels about you at that point of the story. Amazing.

Fiammetta

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf on Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:02 am

Ahh, I do love reading about EVE Online. I'll never play it, of course. But the behaviour of its players never ceases to amuse me. From here:
“At the time, I had been dating a girl for only three weeks and was terrified. I certainly did not want to mention that I had been elected as an Internet space politician.”
Internet space politician. I'd love to have that as a job title.
Not just the players, of course:
“For me, real life has stopped being interesting. The economy of Eve is what I care about.”
I'm one to talk, I've been absolutely addicted to Skyrim for two months now.

And of course the all-time classic:
Players were once caught plotting to cut the power lines to another player’s house to leave him exposed during a major battle.
Every time I read about that, it makes me laugh.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  Melk on Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:11 pm

Anybody else been following the reveals of the next-gen consoles? I have an X-Box 360, and I really love it, so was fairly confident I was going to purchase an X-Box One. No longer. PS4 all the way - no charges for second hand games, a more powerful engine, and £80 cheaper. I am converted.
Melk

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:16 pm

Sony totally nailed the timing on the PS4 price announcement. The day after XBone comes out at $499, they sweep in at $399. And the tagline they have (at least on their Amazon page) is about giving gamers the ability to play "what they want, when they want, where they want."

I'm sure Sony's got a few features in the PS4 that are less than optimal, but at least this time around they're not wasting time and energy on the "all in one system" that they tried with PS3 and Microsoft is trying now with XBone.

The deal breaker for me though was the "always on" Kinect. No. Especially not after the NSA debacle this week.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy on Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:10 pm

Yeah I love my 360, but the always on Kinect is creepy and the must connect to Microsoft once a day is bullshit. We may still end up with an XBone with tape over the Kinect as my husband is a big Halo fan. If the games I want have controller support for the PC we may end up making a fancy gaming PC and hooking it up to the TV. Or see if Microsoft caves before buying a PS4.

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf on Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:03 pm

Okay, I need some Steam help, please. I finally bought the Skyrim DLCs, since they were on sale. I went through the checkout and all, and then Skyrim updated. I see that the esms are installed when I go to Data Files, but when I actually enter the game, I don't see any way of accessing the new content. And while Steam tells me I've bought the DLCs, they don't show up in my library. Am I just missing something obvious, or do I need to get on to tech support? Thanks!

Edit: Hah! The answer was to exit the dungeon and head into town. One of those things that looks really obvious in hindsight...

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy on Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:48 am

Oh Steam summer sale, you take so much of my money and then my time.

On an unrelated note, I am playing Star Wars: the Old Republic. My character is a Jedi Knight and is a race that is green-skinned. He is also of the large muscular body type. I made a comment a few weeks ago about wishing I could have his armor be only purple pants, and it turns out you can do that! So my husband (who does all the trading junk) bought me invisible chest armor, boots, and gloves, and turned leg armor purple with a dye kit. Now my Jedi looks like the Hulk. It is awesome. Several times people have driven by, stopped, backed up and stared at him. And I have gotten amusing messages (e.g., "BRUCE BANNER, PELTED BY GAMMA RAYS AND TURNED INTO THE HULK!" "Smash, Hulk!"). I would enjoy the game for this aspect alone.

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Fiammetta on Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:31 am

Yeah, thanks to the Steam Summer Sale, I have bought and finished Tomb Raider, and I'm about halfway through Max Payne 3. Oh, Steam, why you do this?

Fiammetta

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:05 am

Interesting Grantland article about Myst and its influence (or lack thereof) on gaming.

I loved Myst and Riven so very much. Has anyone played Myst V? It's $9.99 on Steam and I might give it a try.
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:05 pm

Waiting for Assassin's Creed IV to download. It is taking such a long time and I want to play! Waahh!

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:19 pm

I have been super into an RPG that was released in 2007 called The Witcher. It was exactly what I was in the mood for. I'm some guy (I didn't get to set up my character but I think the tradeoff there is a stronger sense of the character), it has an intense storyline, and I go wherever the quests tell me to to and kill monsters (I have two swords! One for humans and one for monsters) and talk to people. I love myself! I like being a witcher and I like my sarcastic voice. I'm doing it on the easiest difficulty because I suck at this sort of thing, but I'm doing all right so far (I'm nearly done with Chapter 2). The locations are pretty, the music is nice, the voice acting is not terrible, the graphics are...probably good for 2007, which is much better than I'm used to...it has moral ambiguity, it does have a fair number of scantily dressed ladies (including a FULL-FRONTALLY NUDE dryad, who I had sex with, not gonna lie) but the women characters are at least respected (even the hookers) and have important parts to play in the story (well, some of them) and my character is not a dick to them. Overall, it's awesome. Apparently it's based on a Polish fantasy series. I got it for $2.50 for Mac (this is why I play games from 2007 -- I like them to be for Mac, and cost $2.50), and there's a sequel that was $4.99 but is now back up to $20, boo. Luckily it's going to take me a while to finish this one so hopefully it'll go on sale in the meantime. BECAUSE I'M GONNA NEED IT.

Anyway, I clearly played too much yesterday because I DREAMED about it, ALL NIGHT. So obviously my reaction to that was to play for just as long today. I love weekends.
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy on Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:13 am

I purchased the Witcher and Witcher 2 during the Steam summer sale! I have yet to play them because the Steam summer sale is for buying games you don't get to for years, but I am glad you are having fun! I will also be playing on the easiest difficultly because most of what I know about the game is that is described as "challenging" and "Witcher" may mean "sleeps with a bunch of witches".

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:17 pm

The other reason I picked easiest difficulty (there's three levels) is that for the harder ones you apparently have to use alchemy a lot, and that's not my favorite thing to worry about. I have used/made potions a couple of times, but I really just want to walk around getting clues and fighting stuff, and I didn't want to not be able to do things if I hadn't made the right potion or whatever. It hasn't been INSULTINGLY easy -- I've died a few times (though mostly when I'm being careless or fighting a boss guy), and the end-of-chapter villains have taken several tries (and some outside research on how best to go about it). I'm sure for an experienced RPG-er it wouldn't be challenging, but I don't want to be challenged that much.

There are a fair number of opportunities to sleep with ladies, but you don't really have to (often it depends on what dialogue option you do). There IS plenty of unnecessary sexiness, like one of the main women characters, I went to her house at night and her "pajamas" were this sheer minidress that you could see her undies through. It was like a Sims outfit that a 14-year-old boy would make. This character is a medic and has plenty to do in the game that's not related to being a fine fine lady, but apparently the artists just...couldn't...help making her pajamas incongruously sexified. Also, I was at this site trying to figure out how to do something and was looking around all the entries for the game, and one of the categories was "Women of The Witcher" and I clicked on it and literally it was a whole section about what women you can sleep with in the game and how to do that. (Admittedly, that was the doing of whatever fanboys put together the site, not the game.) Oh, videogame culture.

So far there's no actual witches. Well, there was one I guess. But I didn't kill her. Or sleep with her.

The other thing is it kind of crashes a lot. But I've developed the habit of saving incessantly, so it's been all right.

I hope you like it! Many years from now. :)
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Fiammetta on Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:12 pm

I've played The Witcher 2 (having only started the first one), and I think you'll enjoy it a lot. It's got a stronger overall story arc, and seems less focused on getting Geralt in bed with dozens of women.

I'm actually really looking forward to The Witcher 3: cinematic trailer (Charles Dance!) and gameplay demo. I guess it'll be released next year sometime.

Fiammetta

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:03 am

Fiammetta wrote:I've played The Witcher 2 (having only started the first one), and I think you'll enjoy it a lot. It's got a stronger overall story arc, and seems less focused on getting Geralt in bed with dozens of women.

It's funny you said that, because today I was reading an article in praise of The Witcher's fourth chapter, which says that most of the people the author knows who started the game quit after the beginning:

As The Witcher 3 starts catching more eyes, friends who haven't played the series inevitably end up asking me "should I play the first two games in the series?" Many people will recommend playing The Witcher 2[...]. While I'd agree with that, I'd also add that everyone should play the first game [...] it's one of the finest examples of the genre... but there's a caveat.

In just about every conversation I've had regarding The Witcher, someone always admits to quitting, usually during the game's extensive opening swamp section. It's hard to blame them. That's where I originally quit, too.

(Spoilers in that article for later parts of the game.) I DID just get through the swamp part and, yeah, it was getting a little tiring. I'm enjoying 1 but also excited for 2!

I'm actually really looking forward to The Witcher 3: cinematic trailer (Charles Dance!) and gameplay demo. I guess it'll be released next year sometime.

Sweet!! That looks awesome. And I see it's listed as being for PC, which means it'll hopefully get ported to Mac eventually. In like five years when I'm ready to play it.

I read a couple articles about it today (work was slow) (a welcome development as work has been kicking my ass for the last few weeks) and I love that the company was just started by these random Polish whippersnappers who pretty much learned on the job, and they basically singlehandedly created the Polish videogame industry. And they are very anti-DRM apparently. Good for them. So much rather support this kind of thing than EA. (Don't worry, EA, you'll get my Sims money in due time, you cheap sexy bastards.)
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:42 pm

Bioshock Infinite is $7.49 right now (for Mac). Worth it? I've heard it's good. Things that appeal to me: interesting story, nifty art direction. Things I'm leery of: First-person shooterdom. Would a novice first-person-shooter-er enjoy it? Does it ramp up a little or do you have to start out being awesome at FPS-ing?

I'm doing fine right now with a game (see my 100 enthusiastic posts above) that is I guess a first-person sword-er, but as far as guns I haven't played a ton.

Also, I won't be lost if I haven't played the previous ones, will I?
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top