Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unpopular TV Opinions You Hold

+77
choubetcha
Paris, Texas
Kiran
Melk
Mulva
Bad Username
Binky
oxymoron
punzy
Poubelle
Snarryfan
bbridges
Grainne Mhaol
jaraga
Agent Sculder
puddingcup
jensa
Carrie Ann
Menshevixen
Raised by wolves
Gilraen
Cutebutpsycho
PrincessCleo
Miss Moneypenny
maxell131313
Disclaimer
mrinsouciance
Esseilte
QueenSix
wenchsenior
Snarker
sagitare
LadyGayle
Instant Monkeys
biakbiak
BreezyK
Gallifrey Girl
dday515
The Dude
RiverThames
MichiSichi
demgirl
TiffanyNichelle
Raksha
aninnocent
ulkis
mandalaya
katha
ActonBell
laddical
Gillian
Matinee
Shalamar
inversed
caltrask55
katesti
Putli Bai
Luthien
big chicken
tothemax
Unlucky Bear
mokey75
punkysdilemma
Crowbridge
Jasmine
blooey
Eris Rising
xyzzy
mayram
Cynara
harvey the penguin
Auroura76
blixie
queenofdenile
whatthedeuce
truecrystal
jcpdiesel21
81 posters

Page 7 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Unpopular TV Opinions You Hold - Page 7 Empty Re: Unpopular TV Opinions You Hold

Post  tothemax Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:38 am

Cutebutpsycho wrote:
PrincessCleo wrote:
The Sherlock fandom kind of makes me want to become the biggest Elementary stan ever. I think I have a repressed troll problem.

You and me both. But I happen to like Sherlock. I think that it's the Moffat fans who really are hyping it up (and he's also got no problem trolling everyone else with his comments that Elementary is going to ruin "the brand").

I laugh whenever Moffat gets indignant about Elementary. The format along (3 eps per season in the UK versus twenty-something [?] in the US) pretty much guarantees that the shows won't be anything alike.

tothemax

Back to top Go down

Unpopular TV Opinions You Hold - Page 7 Empty Re: Unpopular TV Opinions You Hold

Post  ActonBell Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:18 am

I really like Moffat's writing, but I wish he would swear off interviews forever because he always comes off as such an obnoxious douchebag.
ActonBell
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:29 am

Cutebutpsycho wrote:
I think some of it is the fandom thing and that television has gotten more involved than before (I think the AV Club had a great article about how The Sopranos started the whole trend of installment telelvision). Basically you have to watch every episode, catch every detail and do multiple watchings to get everything.

I don't know about you, but that's just exhausting. And there's so many shows that do it now -- Breaking Bad, Treme, The Wire, etc. I'm not saying that I want nothing but procedurals, but I can't watch all those shows on top of Doctor Who, Star Trek and whatever else everyone is throwing at me.

So I guess that I wish people would lay off. I appreciate how involved fandom can get. I know I get involved in the stuff I really dig, but stop nagging me. And stop knitting me Daleks. I don't want them. They're not going to make me watch Doctor Who, cute as they are.

This pretty much explains why I hate Community. I don't want to analyze a sitcom and figure out inside-jokes and references and whatever else they have going on unless it's funny on the surface. I'll analyze the hell out of a show like Arrested Development, but that's because it made me laugh from the get-go, and the little details/references/etc. were an added bonus. Aside from the Modern Warfare episode, Community made me occasionally chuckle, but that's it.

Plus, I effing hate Senor Chang. So much.
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:41 pm

Now this thread is making me sad that no one has knitted me a dalek.
ActonBell
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:10 pm

Yeah, I was reevaluating the quality of my friends too when I read that. They all fail, deeply.

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Putli Bai Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:18 pm

I was a big Wings fan, back in the day. My favorite episode is the one where Helen has a concussion, and Joe and Brian have to keep her up all night. To this day, I still tell people "I'm the tired I've everest been."
Putli Bai
Putli Bai

Back to top Go down

Post  jensa Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:26 pm

mokey75 wrote:
This pretty much explains why I hate Community. I don't want to analyze a sitcom and figure out inside-jokes and references and whatever else they have going on unless it's funny on the surface. I'll analyze the hell out of a show like Arrested Development, but that's because it made me laugh from the get-go, and the little details/references/etc. were an added bonus. Aside from the Modern Warfare episode, Community made me occasionally chuckle, but that's it.

See, I am the exact opposite. I didn't care for Arrested Development but love Community. But that's okay, its possible to coexist peaceably.

jensa
jensa

Back to top Go down

Post  maxell131313 Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:37 pm

Putli Bai wrote:I was a big Wings fan, back in the day. My favorite episode is the one where Helen has a concussion, and Joe and Brian have to keep her up all night. To this day, I still tell people "I'm the tired I've everest been."

Hee! All you Wings fans make me so happy. I was watching an episode on Youtube the other day where some doctor talks Brian into getting a new nose and he and Joe, Lowell, Antonio, and Roy were sitting around the table talking about who they think the handsomest man is. (In order: Kevin Costner, Peter Jennings, Tom Petty, Sylvester Stallone, and John Forsythe.)
maxell131313
maxell131313

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:05 pm

I always loved when Antonio talked about Edna the Big-Faced Girl. "There's more...face."
TiffanyNichelle
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:02 pm

I was only a moderate Wings fan, but I'm surprised that Tim Daly was considered the hot one. I always liked Steven Weber myself. What was this big proposal scene? Does anyone have a YouTube link?

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  mayram Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:51 pm

Proposal starts somewhere in the 3 minute mark

but I'm surprised that Tim Daly was considered the hot one. I always liked Steven Weber myself.

See this is part of what I like about the show, the Hackett brothers were so different but each appealing in their own way. Tim Daly is WAY hotter than Steven Weber physically, IMO, but Steven Weber's character had such a magnetic personality. I could totally picture them being equally hot commodities, one because he's super hot and the other because he's so much fun.

I love seeing all the Wings love, I was talking about this show with someone from work not long ago and they were shocked to meet someone else who loved this show...or even remembered it!

ETA: I do wish that the hairstylists had done a better job with Tim Daly's hair throughout the series, they made a lot of missteps with that mop!

Last edited by mayram on Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

mayram

Back to top Go down

Post  Luthien Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:52 pm

Basically you have to watch every episode, catch every detail and do multiple watchings to get everything.

I don't know about you, but that's just exhausting.

Yes! Exactly. I get overwhelmed with so many shows like this out there: after all, I have movies to watch and books to read, too. (And books all seem to be series these days, too!). I like to come to shows organically, in my own time. Friends tried to get me to watch Doctor Who for the last six years, but it was only last winter that I decided to watch, just for me, no pressure. It was the same for Firefly.

All you Wings fans should check out The Daly Show. And I just caught myself plugging a show when I've just said I don't like people doing that to me. Oh, the hypocrisy.

Luthien

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:12 pm

Yes, but are you holding them hostage in your house going "I'm SURE YOU WILL LOVE THIS EPISODE! THIS ONE!" or knitting them a tiny Tim Daly?
Cutebutpsycho
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  Agent Sculder Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:33 pm

whatthedeuce wrote: It's sad to say that I can't bring myself to watch Sherlock because I'm sick to death of it already, thanks to LJ.

One of the things I sometimes HATE about the internet is that it helps breed obsession, which then leads to a backlash. I admit, I love Sherlock, and I love it because I think it's a really interesting take on Sherlock Holmes (a character I've liked most of my life). I think what really has elevated the show is the performances of the lead actors. Without them, I doubt it would be half as good as it is. And at any rate, I honestly think of Sherlock as being more like 6 films than a TV show.

So if you enjoy good acting and like the Sherlock Holmes stories, I think you'd like the show. But I can totally understand how the internet can totally turn you off. Which is why I didn't watch Firefly until LONG after it was cancelled.

Agent Sculder

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:15 am

All you Wings fans should check out The Daly Show.

The episode where he has his "Superman flashback" is solid gold. He will always be my preferred voice for Superman, and the sight of him and Nathan Fillion "flying" still makes me giggle.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:16 pm

Agent Sculder, I'm sure I'll give Sherlock a try soon enough since it's only got a handful of eps, but man, seeing friends squee about it constantly everyday just puts me off. I'm sure they're justified in their squeeing, and lord knows I do the same when I find a new obsession, but all the John/Sherlock shippers make cringe.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:59 pm

whatthedeuce wrote:Agent Sculder, I'm sure I'll give Sherlock a try soon enough since it's only got a handful of eps, but man, seeing friends squee about it constantly everyday just puts me off. I'm sure they're justified in their squeeing, and lord knows I do the same when I find a new obsession, but all the John/Sherlock shippers make cringe.

Love the show, but I also can't stand the John/Sherlock shippers, if only because it's too bloody obvious and unoriginal. I mean, if it's been lampshaded over and over again in the show, then what's the point?
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:55 pm

People who just read into every tiny move two characters make freak me out. Maybe John turned away from Sherlock because he can't stand looking at his face anymore and not because he doesn't want Sherlock to see the love burning in his eyes. You ever think of that, rabid shippers who want to uncover subtext in EVERY SINGLE GESTURE?

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:58 pm

I swear I'm not trying to pimp Community, but the show put together a funny montage of Abed and Pierce to show how fans will read into any sort of random interaction between two characters and make it have all sorts of romantic portent.
ActonBell
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:41 pm

whatthedeuce wrote:People who just read into every tiny move two characters make freak me out. Maybe John turned away from Sherlock because he can't stand looking at his face anymore and not because he doesn't want Sherlock to see the love burning in his eyes. You ever think of that, rabid shippers who want to uncover subtext in EVERY SINGLE GESTURE?

THIS!! SO MUCH THIS!!! It drives me up the wall.

I have to say, on a somewhat related topic, that Steven Moffat doesn't annoy me the way he does a lot of other people. I'm not an apologist or anything, but I can see where he's coming from with regards to the Elementary thing. I know that Sherlock Holmes has been around in one incarnation or another over the years, but if I'd gone to the bother of updating it and making the show and then it gets wildly successful, I'd be pissed off too if other TV people came over, conferred about the possibility of taking the show to another country, and then turned around with their own version. I would be watching closely to see just if any of my show was influencing theirs because then I'd have done all the ground work for them to leech off.

I'm not saying he's right or wrong, I'm just saying I get why he said what he did.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  jaraga Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:20 am

Everybody loves Downton Abbey right?

jaraga

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:52 am

I bet it' brilliant, but I just have zero interest in even trying it.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Grainne Mhaol Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:37 am

First season was amazing, but in my opinion it took a catastrophic nosedive in season two. Almost unwatchable.
Grainne Mhaol
Grainne Mhaol

http://foodcultureinireland.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:48 am

whatthedeuce wrote:I bet it' brilliant, but I just have zero interest in even trying it.

This is pretty much my feelings. I'm sure it is really well written and acted, like everyone says it is. I just do not give one single fuck about costume dramas. I don't want to watch it and I wish people (namely my sister) would take "no, thank you" for an answer.
Raksha
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  bbridges Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:13 pm

There is absolutely nothing more annoying than politely going "I just don't like that kind of thing" and someone else going "But you'd like this one!" Maybe I would but if you force me to watch I'm not going to enjoy it very much!

I actually really like the second season of Downton Abbey. I thought all of the complaining about it being 'too soapy' was silly since the first season was super soapy and most of the problems really came down to Fellowes being reluctant to spend a lot of time away from Downton and pacing since he wanted to get through the entire war in one season.
bbridges
bbridges

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next