Unpopular TV Opinions You Hold

Page 10 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Unpopular TV Opinions You Hold

Post  xyzzy on Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:34 pm

I'm starting to hate Homeland. Danes and Lewis are absolutely riveting masters of their craft, but this show is just getting stupid. None of the characters make sense to me and no one seems to behave the way actual humans behave. It's annoying.
xyzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Matinee on Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:40 pm

laddical wrote:It would almost be further proof, Instant Monkeys, that you and I are the same person except for your Baltar comments.

Because I'll be the *real* odd duck out and say that I loved the character of Gaius Baltar. Which isn't to say I approved of his choices, just that I believed them for the character and I loved watching it. Baltar was the only character over the course of the show where I didn't say, "FUCK, that character's ruined for me now" at some point. Every other character at some point did something that I thought broke them beyond repair - though that turned out to almost never be entirely true. But Baltar, being broken from the outset, intrigued me with his desire for goodness and redemption being at odds with major personality disorders that kneecapped his every attempt to do something genuine.

I actually didn't hate Baltar - in fact, I disliked the president MORE than I did him. I think because the writers' intent was for him to be broken and unlikeable, whereas I really didn't like a lot of her decisions and actions, but felt like the writers' intent was for me to just love her. Did not!

Overall, while I watched the whole thing through, and was fine with the ending, my only emotional attachment was Helo and Athena in the end. I would have been fine with good or bad endings for all other characters, but I wanted them to have their happy family, dammit!

Matinee

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:37 pm

I'm largely in agreement with you, RiverThames, about the problems with BSG. I'd also like to add that the shift of the show's focus was jarring to me and made me lose interest quickly. I thought the show was most intriguing when it was about a group of humans trying to survive after an apocalypse, but then "Downloaded" happened and the show's focus shifted abruptly to the nature of Cylons and their religion and all that jazz. And I'm sorry, I do not CARE about robot religions and their mysticism or any of that shit.
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear on Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:47 pm

I started watching because I really liked the show, but in the end I just watched it for Baltar being crazy and the possibility Apollo would take his shirt off again.
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:58 pm

queenofdenile wrote:I'm largely in agreement with you, RiverThames, about the problems with BSG. I'd also like to add that the shift of the show's focus was jarring to me and made me lose interest quickly. I thought the show was most intriguing when it was about a group of humans trying to survive after an apocalypse, but then "Downloaded" happened and the show's focus shifted abruptly to the nature of Cylons and their religion and all that jazz. And I'm sorry, I do not CARE about robot religions and their mysticism or any of that shit.

Oh, I'm with you there. I'm convinced that when they made "Downloaded" they were struck with ideas that they thought were totally awesome but, unfortunately, had very little to do with the show they had already made up until that point. But they just shrugged and went with that.
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:20 pm

RiverThames, your Black Market rant was a thing of beauty. I lol'ed.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:24 am

I watched 3 seasons and part of S4, I believe, and I distinctly recall disliking Roslin not only because she bored me but also because I felt I was supposed to adore her, and I hated many of the political decisions she made. OTOH, Baltar was supposed to be fucked up, and he fascinated me. Plus, he was the one character that sometimes made me laugh, and the show was so grim and dreary that any bit of humor was greatly appreciated.

I stopped watching before the show reached its conclusion, but I'm glad that the two characters I always enjoyed actually ended up together. Helo and Athena were the least annoying characters by far. However, I'm sorry to hear that Starbuck didn't just die at the end. I haaaaaaated that character.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  oxymoron on Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:21 am

The Biggest Loser is coming back. More yelling at and generally humiliating fat people while they lose weight in unhealthy ways! Yay!

oxymoron

Back to top Go down

Post  choubetcha on Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:47 pm

Thanks, BreezyK! That definitely sounds worth picking up. I think I'll put it on my Christmas list.

choubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:30 pm

I have never once watched Biggest Loser. I thought it was supposed to actually be uplifting and encouraging. What sorts of things do the contestants tend to do to lose weight?

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Putli Bai on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:39 pm

Why do all my escapist crime-solving dramas have to get so SERIOUS BUSINESS every so often. It's February Sweeps - so of course, on Bones, which is already on my last nerve, we see
Spoiler:
Brennen get shot.
And Castle has a lovely two-parter where
Spoiler:
Alexis gets kidnapped.

Look, shows. All I want from you is a murder of the week with a side of clever banter. That's it. Maybe T. J. Thyne can take his shirt off every once in a while. Other than that, amuse me.

Oh, and while we're at it - stop it with season-long arcs with super villains. I didn't like it when the X-Files did it (I always skipped the "myth arc" stories), and I don't like it when you do it. Especially you, Bones, because you do it so very badly.

Murder. Crime solving. Witty banter. That's it.
Putli Bai

Back to top Go down

Post  Snarker on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:30 pm

My UO:

Jared Padalecki is 10X the actor that Jensen Ackles is. I've been watching Youtube clips of Jensen in various roles in addition to Supernatural, (Dark Angel, All My Children, Smallville, My Bloody Valentine), and he's exactly the same in every one. Every mannerism, every tick, every vocal inflection, it never varies, and it's very soap opera-ish.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the Supernatural constantly has Jared playing different roles, (possessed Sam, Samifer, Souless!Sam, DemonicJunkie!Sam, Crazy!Sam, etc.), while Jensen has never done anything similar.

This is grounds for a firing squad according to TWOP and IMDB.

Snarker

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:55 pm

I noticed on LJ that Dean and Jensen are far more popular than Sam and Jared. Back when I wayched in the first season, I believe I found Jared as Sam far more compelling, acting and story-wise. I've always been curious about the vast craze over Dean/Jensen instead of Sam/Jared but have just never really cared enough to ask anyone over there because I don't actually want a long explanation, and the fans seem rather rabid and rambly.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:58 am

whatthedeuce wrote:I noticed on LJ that Dean and Jensen are far more popular than Sam and Jared. Back when I wayched in the first season, I believe I found Jared as Sam far more compelling, acting and story-wise. I've always been curious about the vast craze over Dean/Jensen instead of Sam/Jared but have just never really cared enough to ask anyone over there because I don't actually want a long explanation, and the fans seem rather rabid and rambly.

Cause he's hotter (generally speaking). I actually tuned into that show for Jensen, but i'm not THAT big a fan so the extreme Jensen/Dean favoritism turned me into a Sam fangirl. I actually do think Jensen is the better actor, but not by THAT much. The way some people talk about what a tragedy it is that poor Jensen is employed as the second lead on a tv show for 8 years cracks me up.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Snarker on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:11 am

But Ulkis, don't you know that Jensen is the best actor ever! He'd be winning an Oscar every year if it weren't for his forced servitude in Supernatural. Yep, he'd be the next Tom Cruise, bowlegs and all.

I agree with Whatthedeuce about Sam being more compelling. However, since S4, the show seems to have gone out of it's way to destroy and marginalize Sam and make him completely unlikeable. It has to be deliberate.

Snarker

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:51 am

If I knew nothing about the show besides what I see on LJ, I wouldn't know Jared was even a lead on that show. Misha Collins as Castiel seems to be the most popular actor and character next to Jensen/Dean. I would think the show was mostly about him!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Snarker on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:55 am

Which is why I don't put much stock in LJ as being representative of the show's real-world fanbase. The reality is, the much heralded 'Return of Castiel' ep's ratings were flat, and Cas-centered eps in general aren't that highly rated.

Anyway another UO:

I hated the Gilmore Girls, a.k.a. The Adventures of Talky Meat and her First World Problems daughter. I keep hearing what a great show it was, but all I see was a couple of over-priveledged, self-confident to the point of delusional, yapping jerks surrounded by grotesquely twee townsfolk who worshiped them for no apparent reason.

Snarker

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:02 pm

I actually have the gall to be surprised that the LJ fandom isn't representative of the majority. It's the only exposure I have to the show really so to hear that Castiel is not the be-all end-all of the show is kinda earth-shattering in as much as my earth can be shattered over a show I don't give a shit about.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  mandalaya on Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:53 pm

Misha Collins himself is highly entertaining - Castiel, usually far less so. And he's been really boring this season for me.

I think Jensen is often a better actor than Jared, but not in all cases and less so as the show has gone on. For one, Jensen always seems very uncomfortable and unsexy in love scenes. Sometimes his kiss scenes are okay, but if there's simulated sex, it's just awkward if not actively terrible, whereas Jared is usually quite hot in love scenes (even the ones he wasn't having with his now-wife). And technically I prefer Jensen's looks so my opinion is not based on that. I agree with the poster who said that they've given Jared a lot more variety in what version of Sam he's playing. He doesn't always do a seamless job of it, in my opinion - sometimes he's quite clunky - but he must be better at it than Jensen because he's asked to do it far more often.
mandalaya

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle on Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:24 pm

Popping in to the SPN thread reminds me of my SPN UO: I hate Crowley. I enjoyed him the first season he popped up and a few times after that. But now I'm burned out on Crowley and I hope they kill him off. And I hope they don't bring Bobby back. I loved Bobby. He was a fave but around the time he ended up in the wheelchair, I stopped liking him. The season after that? I was beyond done with him.

They want to bring back an old character? Resurrect Bella. Or Ellen. I loved Ellen.
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:57 am

I hated the Gilmore Girls, a.k.a. The Adventures of Talky Meat and her First World Problems daughter. I keep hearing what a great show it was, but all I see was a couple of over-priveledged, self-confident to the point of delusional, yapping jerks surrounded by grotesquely twee townsfolk who worshiped them for no apparent reason.

It seemed like it had good writing but just not my type of show. Not a fan of the (never-ending) dialogue at all.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:18 am

I'm such and Aasif Mandvi fanboy, I am totally underwhelmed by John Oliver being the only interim host of The Daily Show.
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  Snarker on Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:40 am

And I hope they don't bring Bobby back. I loved Bobby. He was a fave but around the time he ended up in the wheelchair, I stopped liking him. The season after that? I was beyond done with him.

I feel the same way about Bobby.  It really irked me that in the last ep of S4, Bobby wanted to let Sam out of the panic room and feed him demon blood so he could kill Lilith, but two eps later, after Sam had been let out of the panic room by Cas, (and don't get me started on that!), drank demon blood and killed Lilith, Bobby was all, "You started the Apocolypse!  You must pay for that!).  Uh Bobby, you (and Dean, another 'don't get me started on that!' matter), wanted to kill Lilith, so the whole, "let's hold Sam solely responsible" thing really grated.

That and Bobby being the font of all knowledge, making the boys look stupid.  I liked it better when they figured things out for themselves.

Another UO:  I don't think that Criminal Mind's Shemar Moore is any worse an actor than the others.  Sure, he's not Mr. Emo, but that works for the character.

Snarker

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:15 pm

I'm such and Aasif Mandvi fanboy, I am totally underwhelmed by John Oliver being the only interim host ofThe Daily Show.

Not that I think they would not have John hosting if this wasn't the case but Aasif is going in Atlanta for most of the summer filming a movie.
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:23 pm

I just don't see Aasif as a host. Maybe it's because his normal delivery is so over the top and histrionic.

But also because I still can't look at him without thinking of the abysmal Airbender movie. So much hate.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top