Unpopular TV Opinions You Hold

Page 2 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Unpopular TV Opinions You Hold

Post  Unlucky Bear on Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:56 pm

My husband and I just started watching HIMYM on Netflix last week and now we're halfway through the second season and hooked. I'm sad that it sounds like the show quality is dropping off so steeply, though.
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma on Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:10 pm

S3 is still decent but after that...yeah.
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  tothemax on Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:01 pm

I caught a Thanksgiving ep of HIMYM, and I really wanted to like Barney (that's NPH's character, right?), but I couldn't. The episode overall was pretty bad so I don't think I got a fair perspective of the show, but I couldn't bring myself to watch another episode.

tothemax

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:45 pm

I think that it's Josh Radnor for me. It's not that he's a bad actor, he's just overshadowed by much of the other talent in the room. Also, Ted comes across as somewhat ineffectual and without a strong core character.
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:21 pm

Which reminds me my UO about that show above and beyond that it never clicked with me generally, Radnor is the only one of the cast who I actually like and makes me laugh. Yes I say this even with my boyfriend Jason Segel and the otherwise delightful NPH in the cast, Josh never feels like he's trying too hard with Ted, he is the only one I find both interesting and likable.

blixie
Mod Squad

http://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:33 pm

I also love Ted, and knowing that's unpopular (especially with critics) makes me sad.
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Auroura76 on Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:04 am

Ted's near and dear to my heart also. He's like the Ross of this show, who coincidentally, I ALSO loved, but everyone hated.

And in other CBS comedy news, I don't get the appeal of The Big Bang Theory. I don't think I've ever even cracked a smile at one of the promos.

I don't get this show AT ALL. To me, the humor comes off as laughing AT nerds and not WITH them. Plus, it's not even funny! I don't think any of them are likable, and the show is so stereotypical.

Auroura76

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:04 am

Josh Radnor has the most thankless role. Ted's the main character who is , ya know, SEARCHING FOR THE MOTHER, and yet he's overshadowed by everyone else. I think JR handles the role so well though and makes Ted a relatable doof. He's totally the Ross of HIMYM. Same goes for Johnny Galecki as Leonard on The Big Bang Theory.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  truecrystal on Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:23 am

Phoebe Tonkin who plays Faye on The Secret Circle is the worst actress I've seen on a tv show since Mischa Barton. Her voice, her mannerisms, everything about her plucks on my nerves. And her character is every bit as annoying as she is.

Dalia and Lisa are the best things about Suburgatory. I actually watch the show in spite of George and Tessa.

Lately, I've been laughing out loud at The Middle as much as if not more than Modern Family.

truecrystal

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:05 pm

Phoebe Tonkin who plays Faye on The Secret Circle is the worst actress I've seen on a tv show since Mischa Barton. Her voice, her mannerisms, everything about her plucks on my nerves. And her character is every bit as annoying as she is.

Yeah I hate her, I think I hate Faye more than Tonkin, but her sing song tic makes me want to whip things at the screen. Shelley Hennig is easily the best actor on that show and also the prettiest.

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken on Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:33 pm

Diana is easily the smartest teen on that show, too. You'd think Faye would have learned a lesson by now about just casting a spell to enhance her powers, or any spell at all, without doing some research, but no, there she is making the same mistake all over again for the 1000th time.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge on Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:10 pm

I'm taking us waaay back to get a few My So-Called Life UO's off my chest (shut up, I got the DVD's for Christmas, and I've been watching the shit out of them lately):

-I never thought the final scene in the "Self-Esteem" episode was sweet and endearing (you know, the one where Jordan finally acknowledges Angela in public and takes her hand.) This seems to be the favorite scene among fans, but I didn't like it when it first aired, and I don't like it now. It's like Jordan finally deems Angela worthy to be his girlfriend, and her face lights up...UGH. SO FREAKING PAINFUL. I know none of the moments on this show were "perfect", and they captured what it's like to be a teenager pretty well, but just taking her hand was never enough for me after he treated her like shit and misspelled her name in that freaking letter (okay, he had dyslexia, but still.) I hated the way Angela became a pathetic little shell around Jordan which was the point of their whole relationship, but yeah...never thought that moment was sweet. I just kept thinking Jordan was an asshole, and that their entire relationship would still be on his terms.

-I don't hate Patty. Sure, she was an uptight nag, but she was hardly the worst mother/wife in television history. There were times where I even felt for her, since Graham could be a schlubby, philandering asshole. No wonder she cracked the whip so much- someone had to.

-"My So-Called Angels" is easily the worst episode of the entire series, but I will say that Wilson Cruz's acting is superb. I thought Rickie's story was ruined by that Juliana Hatfield angel and her stupid boots. What a waste.

-Upon first viewing, I though Sharon Cherski was a whiny little bitch, but watching it as an adult, my opinion has drastically changed. Angela was the bitchy one for dropping her best friend like a hot potato without any explanation. Okay, maybe I should have realized that before, but I didn't, so...yeah.

-"Life of Brian" is the best episode of the series, but I don't think this is a UO. I know Brian was a weirdo, but I loved him anyway.

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:21 pm

I think Brian was one of the most complex characters on the show. I can't get through a Brian scene without feeling about five different emotions at the same time. One minute I want to shake him for being a Nice Guy jackass, and two seconds later I'm cringing with embarrassment because seriously, his entire life was one humiliatingly awkward moment after another. I hate his sense of entitlement and bitterness around Angela, but ya know what, sometimes she DID use him and sometimes that resentment was justified.

I think the inspirational substitute teacher episode and the Halloween episode were easily worse than "My So-Called Angels." But that might be because the church scene with Rickie and Patty just makes me sob like a baby.
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge on Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:08 pm

Yeah, the church scene was very well done. I'll give it that.

"Halloween" is pretty bad, as is "The Substitute". I like Sharon's poem, though.

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:52 pm

but watching it as an adult, my opinion has drastically changed. Angela was the bitchy one for dropping her best friend like a hot potato without any explanation.

Perhaps that is why I always hated her ass with a passion, I was an adult when the show was on, and I just found her character to be a TOTAL unrootable bitch , and an utterly shallow one to boot. Yes Sharon I died my hair magenta you could never understand the depth and intelligence of a soul with magenta hair, get lost. It was schaden-y goodness when Sharon and Rayanne found themselves naturally and spontaneously bonding in ways magenta soul could never understand, because she's so much better than....everyone.

I want to shake him for being a Nice Guy jackass

See one of the reasons I liked Brian Krakow is because I don't think he was under any delusion of being a nice guy, he wasn't trying to be nice, or think that Angela should love him because he was nice. I do think he was whiny and resentful, but I interpreted that as his hating himself for not being able to say no and hating Angela for realizing he could never say no to her, which is somehow different for me than expecting her to return his romantic feelings.

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge on Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:37 pm

Heh-heh..."magenta soul." I like that. :)

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  truecrystal on Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:32 pm

Perhaps that is why I always hated her ass with a passion, I was an adult when the show was on, and I just found her character to be a TOTAL unrootable bitch , and an utterly shallow one to boot.

I started watching the series as an adult too and I couldn't even finish it because I hated Angela so so very much.

truecrystal

Back to top Go down

Post  Luthien on Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:58 pm

RE: the Big Bang Theory
I don't get this show AT ALL. To me, the humor comes off as laughing AT nerds and not WITH them.

There was a marathon of this show basically all Christmas week on the Comedy Network, and I had to see it all the time because everyone else in my family loves it. I don't find it amusing at all: it's definitely laughing at nerds, and the characters are one-dimensional stereotypes. They're just boring. Honestly, I'm not a prude but I find some of the jokes are in really poor taste. Maybe I'm just getting old.

When I was home for Christmas my mom was watching the Waltons (she got DVDs as a gift) and I have no idea what's popular or unpopular about such an old show, but my sweet lord, do I hate Mrs. Walton. Other characters are passable, even smug John Boy is okay at times, but I can't stand the mother.

Luthien

Back to top Go down

Post  Putli Bai on Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:35 pm

I'm old enough to have watched "My So-Called Angels" when it aired, and (at the time) was young enough that it killed me, just killed me. I'm sure adult me would have a very different reaction, but it was a long time before I could listen to "Feel Like Going Home," on the Notting Hillbillies CD without tearing up.
Putli Bai

Back to top Go down

Post  katesti on Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:38 pm

Putli Bai wrote:I'm old enough to have watched "My So-Called Angels" when it aired, and (at the time) was young enough that it killed me, just killed me. I'm sure adult me would have a very different reaction, but it was a long time before I could listen to "Feel Like Going Home," on the Notting Hillbillies CD without tearing up.

Yep, this. I still cry and cry and cry every time I watch it, even though I know as a grown-up that all the Hatfield stuff is ridiculous. I maintain, though, that everything else is fantastic and elevated even more by Wilson Cruz's brilliance.

katesti

Back to top Go down

Post  caltrask55 on Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:01 am

So I just watched all the Grimm episodes and I can't believe I am saying this but I am finding Monroe....hot. I know! Maybe it's the character or the scruffy beard? I have seen the actor in a million things and he is far from attractive but for some reason Monroe is doing it for me!

caltrask55

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:43 am

caltrask55 wrote:So I just watched all the Grimm episodes and I can't believe I am saying this but I am finding Monroe....hot. I know! Maybe it's the character or the scruffy beard? I have seen the actor in a million things and he is far from attractive but for some reason Monroe is doing it for me!

I totally called him being the unexpected sex symbol on the show.
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:03 am

See one of the reasons I liked Brian Krakow is because I don't think he was under any delusion of being a nice guy, he wasn't trying to be nice, or think that Angela should love him because he was nice. I do think he was whiny and resentful, but I interpreted that as his hating himself for not being able to say no and hating Angela for realizing he could never say no to her, which is somehow different for me than expecting her to return his romantic feelings.

Actually that sounds like a perfect summation of Brian. You're right, I don't think he considered himself nice at all.

I did like Angela even though she was a brat, but in terms of female leads of high school shows that were canceled too early, she's no Lindsay Weir.
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed on Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:44 am

I was the target demographic for MSCL when it came out and oh my god I loved it so much. I re-watched it as an adult, and while I recognize that Angela is a whiny, self-obsessed brat, I still love that the show captured a lot of what being a teenager was like then. I was so much like Angela in high school that watching it now takes me right back there.

I think Freaks and Geeks is a far better show overall, though.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar on Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:32 pm

Monroe on"Grimm" is the werewolf, yeah? I know what you mean. I love that actor, actually - even when he was playing a bad guy in season one of "24".
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top