Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unpopular TV Opinions You Hold

+77
choubetcha
Paris, Texas
Kiran
Melk
Mulva
Bad Username
Binky
oxymoron
punzy
Poubelle
Snarryfan
bbridges
Grainne Mhaol
jaraga
Agent Sculder
puddingcup
jensa
Carrie Ann
Menshevixen
Raised by wolves
Gilraen
Cutebutpsycho
PrincessCleo
Miss Moneypenny
maxell131313
Disclaimer
mrinsouciance
Esseilte
QueenSix
wenchsenior
Snarker
sagitare
LadyGayle
Instant Monkeys
biakbiak
BreezyK
Gallifrey Girl
dday515
The Dude
RiverThames
MichiSichi
demgirl
TiffanyNichelle
Raksha
aninnocent
ulkis
mandalaya
katha
ActonBell
laddical
Gillian
Matinee
Shalamar
inversed
caltrask55
katesti
Putli Bai
Luthien
big chicken
tothemax
Unlucky Bear
mokey75
punkysdilemma
Crowbridge
Jasmine
blooey
Eris Rising
xyzzy
mayram
Cynara
harvey the penguin
Auroura76
blixie
queenofdenile
whatthedeuce
truecrystal
jcpdiesel21
81 posters

Page 3 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Unpopular TV Opinions You Hold - Page 3 Empty Re: Unpopular TV Opinions You Hold

Post  jcpdiesel21 Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:54 pm

Luthien wrote:RE: the Big Bang Theory
I don't get this show AT ALL. To me, the humor comes off as laughing AT nerds and not WITH them.

There was a marathon of this show basically all Christmas week on the Comedy Network, and I had to see it all the time because everyone else in my family loves it. I don't find it amusing at all: it's definitely laughing at nerds, and the characters are one-dimensional stereotypes. They're just boring. Honestly, I'm not a prude but I find some of the jokes are in really poor taste. Maybe I'm just getting old.
I confess to never watching an entire episode of this show, but whenever I've come across it and left it on for a little while, I have not laughed a SINGLE time. And yes, it does laugh AT the nerds and not WITH them, which reinforces stereotypes. One of my husband's co-workers is always referring to him as either Leonard and Sheldon, and while he does have nerdy tendencies, equating him to one of these characters is a little insulting.
jcpdiesel21
jcpdiesel21

Back to top Go down

Unpopular TV Opinions You Hold - Page 3 Empty Re: Unpopular TV Opinions You Hold

Post  queenofdenile Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:11 pm

I do think Sheldon is funny and that Jim Parsons has great comic timing. But it seems like every time I turn on one of the cable channels for sitcom reruns, I only catch repeats of Chuck Lorre or Seth MacFarlane shows, and that just depresses the hell out of me.
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Matinee Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:52 pm

jcpdiesel21 wrote:
Luthien wrote:RE: the Big Bang Theory
I don't get this show AT ALL. To me, the humor comes off as laughing AT nerds and not WITH them.

There was a marathon of this show basically all Christmas week on the Comedy Network, and I had to see it all the time because everyone else in my family loves it. I don't find it amusing at all: it's definitely laughing at nerds, and the characters are one-dimensional stereotypes. They're just boring. Honestly, I'm not a prude but I find some of the jokes are in really poor taste. Maybe I'm just getting old.
I confess to never watching an entire episode of this show, but whenever I've come across it and left it on for a little while, I have not laughed a SINGLE time. And yes, it does laugh AT the nerds and not WITH them, which reinforces stereotypes. One of my husband's co-workers is always referring to him as either Leonard and Sheldon, and while he does have nerdy tendencies, equating him to one of these characters is a little insulting.

This is my feeling. From what I've seen, it's fairly lazy, straightforward "nerd" jokes and stereotypes. And what bothers me is that people seem to read it like it's a show that's "in" with and understands the nerdy academic crowd, but I just don't feel it does.

Maybe it got better in later seasons and I was just exposed to poor episodes but it just did not make me laugh.

Matinee

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:58 pm

My husband REALLY wanted to watch BBT, so we got the first disk on Netflix and I'm so not enjoying it. The guys are so unlikeable, and Kaley Cuoco is a TERRIBLE actress. Seriously, I can't stand her character. And yet, I feel like I know so many people who LOVE the show.
Unlucky Bear
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:53 am

What I don't get about Big Bang Theory is how popular it is. I don't hate it by any means. I've seen some episodes that I've liked, and I've seen some episodes that I haven't liked. I generally never watch it because it's always on against something else I'd rather watch instead. I find it so aggressively mediocre. Not terrible, not great, just...there. I understand why people like it, but I don't understand why people LOVE it. Like, there are people at my job who barely watch TV but they will swear up and down that Big Bang Theory is the most hilarious thing ever, and I get all Michael Bluth "...her?" about it. I don't feel like the show tries hard enough to earn that level of devotion.

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  tothemax Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:51 pm

Gillian wrote:What I don't get about Big Bang Theory is how popular it is. I don't hate it by any means. I've seen some episodes that I've liked, and I've seen some episodes that I haven't liked. I generally never watch it because it's always on against something else I'd rather watch instead. I find it so aggressively mediocre.
I think the same reasoning applies to How I Met Your Mother.

tothemax

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:17 pm

tothemax wrote:
Gillian wrote:What I don't get about Big Bang Theory is how popular it is. I don't hate it by any means. I've seen some episodes that I've liked, and I've seen some episodes that I haven't liked. I generally never watch it because it's always on against something else I'd rather watch instead. I find it so aggressively mediocre.
I think the same reasoning applies to How I Met Your Mother.

It didn't used to be that way. During the first and second seasons, HIMYM was sublime - nothing put me in a better mood (and this was before I got on Zoloft). Then it became pedestrian and hit and miss, but those first two seasons were magic.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:32 pm

Yeah, now they're just stalling until Ted can meet the mother.

After seeing the latest Nikita episode, I hope the mother is Sarah Clarke.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:40 pm

It didn't used to be that way. During the first and second seasons, HIMYM was sublime - nothing put me in a better mood (and this was before I got on Zoloft). Then it became pedestrian and hit and miss, but those first two seasons were magic.

I completely agree with this. It was something quite special those first two seasons, and then it became a little too soapy and reliant on its own schtick. I still watch it, though -- once I become attached to characters, I'm willing to see a series through to the bitter end just to see how it ends.
ActonBell
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:45 pm

While I enjoy The Big Bang Theory (and I'm certainly a member of the subculture they're mocking), I could never, ever get into How I Met Your Mother. This despite either liking or (at worst) having no issue with any of the actors in the main cast. The gimmick is interesting, but for me it's played out in an unconvincing manner.
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:37 pm

Actually I thought there was a lot of great stuff in HIMYM seasons three and four, too. I still think the episode where Marshall forgets his pants and Laura Prepon guest-stars as Ted's obnoxious girlfriend Karen is the funniest episode they've ever done - not the best overall episode, but the funniest. Yes, funnier than "Slap Bet."
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Auroura76 Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:24 am

Agreed; I don't like season 1 as much (despite great moments, of course) because Ted is way too earnest and lovey dovey. I have never met a single dude like that. The show really hit its stride in season two (Swarley is what won me over), and for me, the sweet spot is seasons 2-4. I couldn't be as invested after Stella left, who is still my favorite of Ted's girlfriends.

I agree with the above on Big Bang Theory; I tried several times but it's too broad and 90s sitcom for me to like. I don't find it clever.

I can't stand It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. It's like Sarah Silverman; everyone says it/she are edgy and controversial and that's why they're funny. No. They're just assholes.

Auroura76

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:19 am

I used to love HIMYM, but then I just never bothered watching S5, and when I re-watched some eps with my younger sis, 95% of the material was really un-funny.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  katha Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:47 pm

I have no problem watching characters who are nasty people be the lead in a show. As long as they're interesting I'm all fine. In fact, I may even specifically seek out these kinds of shows. I watch House because of House. I got hooked on Sherlock because I found Sherlock in this rendition so absolutely terrifying in his coldness. And so I'm always kinda bemused when parts of the fandom inevitably start moaning about what horrible people they are and how they would rather watch a show about all the much nicer supporting characters. And it really frustrates me, since I have to stop participating in discussions because I constantly want to point out: "That's the point of the show! It's a show about a scary and awful person! If they made it about all the nice characters, it would be a different show!"

Everwood is one of the most underrated shows ever. It was all that sanctimonious and narrow-minded Seventh Heaven claimed to be but never managed: A wholesome, thoughtful and warm show about family and live in general.

katha

Back to top Go down

Post  mandalaya Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:08 pm

caltrask55 wrote:So I just watched all the Grimm episodes and I can't believe I am saying this but I am finding Monroe....hot. I know!

Silas Weir Mitchell (I know everyone can find imdb, I just thought I'd put his name in here)! I just looked him up the other day after seeing the Closer ep in which he plays a priest. There's something really appealing about him - he can play scary, but he seems to have an underlying cuddliness that comes through. It was interesting to see him play a straightforwardly kind character (the priest), he does that well too.

Both HIMYM and Big Bang Theory wax and wane for me. My dad, an extroverted scientist, LOVES BBT and feels that it portrays the people he was in grad school with quite accurately, so I can't really argue with that, but I agree it sometimes seems to be mocking geekery more than celebrating it. I'm glad they now have regular characters who are female nerds, as the Kaley Cuoco character wears pretty thin for me, especially watching the guys react to her. HIMYM often feels like it's dragging things out unnecessarily, but I can't really blame them for taking another season since it's being offered - I just wish they'd either abandon the original trope of That First Meeting or be a little less obvious about stringing us along.
mandalaya
mandalaya

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:56 pm

I have no problem watching characters who are nasty people be the lead in a show. As long as they're interesting I'm all fine. In fact, I may even specifically seek out these kinds of shows. I watch House because of House.

I only watched a couple of episodes in the early seasons, but I remember thinking if I were surrounded by the dolts House was surrounded by I'd be sarcastic and cranky too.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:54 am

mandalaya wrote:Both HIMYM and Big Bang Theory wax and wane for me. My dad, an extroverted scientist, LOVES BBT and feels that it portrays the people he was in grad school with quite accurately, so I can't really argue with that, but I agree it sometimes seems to be mocking geekery more than celebrating it. I'm glad they now have regular characters who are female nerds, as the Kaley Cuoco character wears pretty thin for me, especially watching the guys react to her.

My physicist husband also loves BBT and recognizes a lot of the characteristics in the people in his department (especially Sheldon). I suppose I could be missing the laughing-at in my excitement over Lord of the Rings references.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:36 am

My husband is a comic book geek and loves it when the guys on BBT start arguing over the merits of one comic book character over another, or one version of the X-Men universe over another. Me, I'm shallow - I just think all the guys on the show are cute and that the jokes are funny. :)
Shalamar
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  aninnocent Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:13 pm

I just watched Shark Tank and I loved it. Shoot me now.

aninnocent

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:19 pm

I have a super unpopular opinion about The Big Bang Theory - Penny is by far my favorite character.

It feels good to get that off my chest!
Raksha
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  aninnocent Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:05 pm

I love Penny too. Even worse is I like her with Leonard.

aninnocent

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:28 pm

aninnocent wrote:I love Penny too. Even worse is I like her with Leonard.

Oh, thank God. After some time online, I was beginning to think that I was the only one besides the showrunner and the writers.
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:41 pm

People don't like Penny? I think Kaley Cuoco does a fabulously hilarious job on that show, and I love the character's combination of snark and sweetness. While catching up on S4, I realized that Kaley reminds me a lot of Jennifer Aniston as Rachel Greene. She seems to exhibit similar mannerisms and her line deliveries are reminiscent of Jen.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:07 pm

Penny is the only time I've ever been able to stomach Kaley. I didn't like her on that John Ritter show and I didn't like her in some earthquake TV EVENT!!!!

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:08 pm

Also, the Penny/Sheldon combo favored by many fans seems horrific to me, and would destroy the integrity of both characters.
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next