Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LiveJournal

+16
Siena
Red Wolf
sagitare
ulkis
MtOlivePickles
Cutebutpsycho
inversed
Binky
particle_person
Poubelle
xyzzy
whatthedeuce
bbridges
tothemax
blooey
allochthonous
20 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

LiveJournal  - Page 2 Empty Re: LiveJournal

Post  blooey Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:43 pm

I definitely participate less than I did when I first got my journal. RL just gets in the way. I had loads of free time nine years ago compared to now, and I think other people on my flist are the same. Now, even when I have half an hour, I have so many other online and RL commitments that staying in touch with my LJ friends gets pushed to the back burner. Also, the novelty of social networking has worn off a little; I no longer feel the need to share every little thing I do or thought I have with the internet.

And the internet has changed so much in the last few years. I was in college when the internet first became A Thing, back when AOL was cutting edge, and some of these newfangled Web 2.0 changes like the ones LJ has implemented have made the internet less fun for me. They're unwieldy and counterintuitive and they make my eyes hurt. As a result, I use the internet more as a tool than the merry-making device it was for me when it first started.

I'm so annoyed by this because there is no other place on the internet that serves my social networking needs like LJ does. I imported my journal over to Dreamwidth yesterday, and I don't like it. DW is supposed to be exactly the same, but it's not. Twitter is completely unusable for me, and Tumblr makes me want to lurk rather than actively participating. I don't like DW, I don't like Tumblr, I don't like Twitter.

One of the ljnews updates said that they're going to reintroduce an S2 style with the same look and functionality as the previous default pages, so I wonder if they're trying to encourage people to buy paid accounts for the custom comment pages.

ETA: Just a heads up: One person on my friends list had automatic renewal/payments turned off, and LJ turned them back on without telling her. So, you know, check your accounts.

Last edited by blooey on Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:49 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : OMGWTF)

blooey

Back to top Go down

Post  MtOlivePickles Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:29 am

Fast Company talks about "The Return of LiveJournal".

A quote I thought was interesting:
Petrochenko told us that the community push is taking place because LiveJournal “is a trove of amazing community-driven, user-generated content. Its content consists of not just blog entries and photos, but hundreds of thousands of comments posted by people who are passionate about the topic at hand.”
Yeah, because the changes made to commenting have made it so much easier to read.

MtOlivePickles

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:32 am

Well did you note this part? (Italics are mine.)
Reaction from longtime users has been overwhelmingly negative--LiveJournal patrons slammed the redesign on the service's official blog.

LiveJournal's leadership has made it clear that their future American business strategy lies in generating new traffic rather than catering to the service's current small-but-loyal membership.
They OFFICIALLY don't give a shit about us. Not just unofficially.
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:00 pm

Well, I'm glad to have that cleared up, once and for all! Oh, except not really.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  sagitare Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:26 am

Anyone having issues with accessing LJ lately? I can't get into any pages at all from home, although I was able to see ONTD from work the other day.
sagitare
sagitare

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:15 am

So I have an account, that I only use for commending on other people's entries. Today I noticed I have 60 messages in the inbox. They're all announcements of one kind or another. Is there an easy way of selecting them all, so I can delete them? I can get four or five at once, but that just seems too long and tedious.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:32 am

Right next to the "Read" button at the top of the inbox, there should be a small square that you can click so that you delete all the messages on the page at the same time.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:19 am

That's working, thanks!

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:59 pm

Glad to be of help!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:07 pm

So now LJ-cuts look totally different--there's a little pair of scissors, three dots, then an ordinary-looking link. Did I miss an announcement or something? Is it just my flist acting weird?
Poubelle
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:11 pm

Yes, they screwed stuff up again unnecessarily. They announced it yesternight.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:28 am

It's uglier and I've scrolled by several cut entries because I think it's just a link elsewhere, not the rest of the post. And the scissors just look stupid. THE PARENTHESES WERE FINE, JEEZ. Stop pulling this Facebook-style nonsense.
Poubelle
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:05 pm

There's already a fix for it, but I forgot where I found it. I'll link you to it once I find it! Here it is! I will never understand the concept of fixing what is far from being broken. They do all the damn breaking!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:54 pm

It looks like the LJ-cuts are back to parenthesis once more.
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:13 am

They finally managed to fix one thing, but sadly, it's not something I really cared much about. I was kinda surprised about the hoopla surrounding the new look of the LJ cut.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:37 pm

Yeah, I didn't like it, but I didn't care per se.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:30 am

If they can reverse that stupid, useless change, why can't they just give us back comment subject lines? I still miss those and found them useful as do mods of many communities!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Siena Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:46 pm

Huh, a scouring of my cache seemed to fix it, but things were downright weird for a while there.

So LJ just logged me out and wants me to either create an account or log in using OpenID. Any idea what the heck is happening? I was able to post a test entry but I'm not staying logged in.

Siena

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhilin Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:14 am

Is anyone else having trouble with livejournal? Whenever I try to go to the front page, or a community, I can't connect, but every webstatus page I've checked has said that livejournal should be working.

Rhilin

Back to top Go down

Post  maxell131313 Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:07 pm

A friend of mine in CA is having the same problem so it's not just you. To say she's angry is an understatement.
maxell131313
maxell131313

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:08 pm

It was messed up yesterday, too. And down a lot. Apparently there's more political upheaval in Russia?
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:15 pm

With the complaints I see here, I am super surprised that it's actually working decently for me. I haven't had problems with LJ in weeks, come to think of it!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Wed May 15, 2013 10:17 pm

Wow. All I can see properly at this point is my goddamn inbox. Every time I try to check any communities, I get Frank the Goat's ugly ass eyeballing me with wires in his mouth.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  PrincessCleo Thu May 16, 2013 12:32 pm

Some of my entries are coming up, but others aren't? Including the one I'm trying to edit at the moment? Get your face out of my face, Frank.
PrincessCleo
PrincessCleo
Admin

http://http;//cleolinda.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell Thu May 16, 2013 1:08 pm

It's kind of funny to read the comments section of ONTD and just see people's animated gif avatars with no text.
ActonBell
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum