Now Playing At a Theater Near You

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Now Playing At a Theater Near You

Post  harvey the penguin on Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:02 am

eventide82 wrote:
harvey the penguin wrote:The Artist is adorable and charming and I love it. And I know I'm not the first person to say this by a long shot, but Oggie the Dog needs a Best Supporting Actor Oscar nomination!

harvey, my husband and I are so excited to see that when it comes out here! We love Jean Dujardin ever since seeing him in the OSS films a few years ago. I think it's part of the French film festival starting here in February. Can't wait!

I watched one of the OSS films after The Artist. He's so good! Too bad he doesn't really speak English enough to become a huge star...
harvey the penguin

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:12 pm

Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol

KA-RAAAAAAAAZY.

The Burjh Kalifa sequence was just insane - easily the equal of the Langley break-in from the first movie.

I love how this series seems to (with the possible exception of II) be getting better with age. Of course it helps that each movie has become more and more a team effort and less All About Ethan. Even III, with its Ethan Getting Married plot, was a team effort movie overall. I also appreciate the lighter tone, but with comic moments that make sense without being stupid. Overall, this felt far more like an update of the original series than any of the other movies have.

Paula Patton's got a real Jennifer Garner vibe going with her - lookswise especially. I'm wondering if that's some of JJ's influence on the casting.

I loved how Brad Bird got his signature A113 reference into the movie. I hope he continues to work with animation as well, but I look forward to seeing what else he does with live action - this movie was terrific.

I'm also really glad....

Spoiler:
Julia's not dead; her "death" was a spoiler I'd gone into the movie knowing about and it was the one thing that kind of hung over the movie. It also would have spoiled my enjoyment of going back to revisit the third one. The Ving Rhames cameo was a nice touch, too.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:15 pm

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I liked it, and I did think Rooney Mara was quite good. Daniel Craig is super duper hot, newsflash. As with the Swedish movie, I thought it made more sense than the book and flowed a lot better, but that's hardly difficult. The
Spoiler:
rape scene
was really hard to watch, which is as it should be, I guess.

I agree about the change to the end -- made sense, and actually it was kinda funny and unexpected for those who had read the book.

I already knew who the bad guy was, but I did think it was decent misdirection how
Spoiler:
Martin seems like the only one who is trying to get Mikael to stay, which ends up being because he actually wants him to find Harriet.

I lost count at five appearances of sandwiches. Not even kidding. The first one within 90 seconds of the beginning of the movie. Clearly someone was also amused by the sandwich thing. Like when the lawyer guy shows up and is like "can I have some of that?" and Mikael goes "Oh, a sandwich?" and he's like "Uh, no, some Scotch." Hee hee. SANDWICHES.

Last edited by Instant Monkeys on Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear on Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:32 am

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy: For about the first five minutes, I was afraid that Gary Oldman wasn't going to say a thing during the rest of the movie. I swear he spends at least 20 minutes of this movie staring quietly at something.

The plot takes a while to get going. Everyone's hair is terrible. The cigarette budget for this movie must have been astronomical, because in just about every scene, at least two people are smoking. It's the kind of movie that I liked the more I thought about it, though I'm not sure I would watch it again. Oldman, Benedict Cumberbatch, and Tom Hardy are excellent. Colin Firth is an amusing douchebag. The four of us who watched it really liked it, though the couple who came out after us totally hated it.

Lady Edith from Downton Abbey shows up for about 10 seconds as a secretary. I nearly choked on my pop when I saw her.
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  Menshevixen on Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:14 pm

Once Haywire hits the theatres I am convincing my boyfriend to do a Haywire/Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy double feature. Might as well see ALL the gorgeous men at one go. Also I have a lady crush on Gina Carano.
Menshevixen

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear on Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:27 pm

I was not digging the blond hair on Cumberbatch, but he wears the shit out of this light-colored suit with a bright blue tie and pocket square.
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  Putli Bai on Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:04 pm

Unlucky Bear wrote:Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy: Colin Firth is an amusing douchebag.

I was on the fence about this one, but now I'm going to have to see it.
Putli Bai

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:48 pm

The Artist was such a delight. I absolutely loved the various little homages to Citizen Kane and Grand Hotel and Singin' In The Rain among others. And Uggie is the best doggie movie star since Asta.
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  epudom on Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:37 pm

I saw The Artist last weekend, and enjoyed it immensely; I've been wishing I knew how to tap dance all week.

In the last week I've also seen Mission Impossible - okay I suppose. I mostly went as there were delays to trains one evening after work and I couldn't face the rush hour stress; Haywire - probably my least favourite Soderbergh film to date, but entertaining in its own way, and J. Edgar - my knowledge of the man is pretty limited, but if only a fraction of the film is accurate, dude had many, many issues. The constant time jumps were a bit confusing at times as well.
epudom

Back to top Go down

Post  Morning Angel on Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:39 pm

Unlucky Bear wrote:Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy: For about the first five minutes, I was afraid that Gary Oldman wasn't going to say a thing during the rest of the movie. I swear he spends at least 20 minutes of this movie staring quietly at something.

The plot takes a while to get going. Everyone's hair is terrible. The cigarette budget for this movie must have been astronomical, because in just about every scene, at least two people are smoking. It's the kind of movie that I liked the more I thought about it, though I'm not sure I would watch it again. Oldman, Benedict Cumberbatch, and Tom Hardy are excellent. Colin Firth is an amusing douchebag. The four of us who watched it really liked it, though the couple who came out after us totally hated it.

Lady Edith from Downton Abbey shows up for about 10 seconds as a secretary. I nearly choked on my pop when I saw her.

I liked that movie too, though I was so tired when I went to see it and it's so slow, I faded out for a few minutes. lol I got very excited at the presence of Lady Edith as well. Hee.
Morning Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  jcpdiesel21 on Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:16 pm

Haywire was enjoyable, but could have been better. I wish there had been a little more in the way of action scenes, as those were electric. I do appreciate that there was a legitimate story built around the action, and hope that Gina Carano continues to make movies. She was exciting to watch. The throwback music used throughout the film was fun, too.
jcpdiesel21

Back to top Go down

Post  mayram on Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:00 pm

Saw Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close over the weekend. It was okay, didn't hate it, but definitely not worth the kind of Oscar noms it apparently scored. The kid was far less annoying than I had expected based on the fact that every line he spoke in the previews made me want to poke stuff in my eardrums. He did a pretty good job conveying that weird kid vibe and pulled off some genuinely funny lines here and there.

The premise of the movie was pretty weird and random so it's kind of impressive that the movie even comes together as well as it does.

mayram

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa on Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:14 pm

So I kind of hated The Descendents. I came out of it feeling a bit "That's it?" But then started to really think about it and got more and more annoyed. I mean,
Spoiler:
did I seriously just watch a movie where a woman is in a coma the entire time and her worth as a wife, a mother, and a friend is demeaned as she's LITERALLY berated while unable to say a single word? It was just...uncomfortable.
And on a shallow note, I'm not getting the technical praise either, as I don't think Hawaii has ever looked so dreary or cold to me. I get that that was the point at times, but even in places where we were meant to see the beauty, I didn't feel it.
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  Case on Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:28 am

Heigl. Oh,Heigl.

One For The Money. Not as awful as V.I. Warshawski.
Not good,however. A thoroughly mediocre adaptation.
A third rate,insignificant little movie,one that won't affect people's love for the books.
Case

http://www.facebook.com/case.crum

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynara on Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:23 am

Guys, you all need to drop whatever you're doing and go see The Artist RIGHT NOW. It really is that awesome.

Cynara

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:04 pm

I saw The Grey tonight, and I have to admit that this movie is deeper than these last movies Liam Neeson has made. I was expecting it to be less about male introspection and more about kicking wolf butt. I mean, it's no Wrath of the Titans, but not bad. I'm a woman though, so a lot of the guy philosophizing made me roll my eyes.

Last edited by bookworm on Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  Putli Bai on Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:13 pm

Roger Ebert really liked The Grey as well. I was planning on giving it a pass, but now you've got me interested.
Putli Bai

Back to top Go down

Post  MaddyCat on Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:45 am

I saw Haywire and really liked it. Soderbergh knows how to make a gorgeous film; I mean, some of those shots were jaw-droppingly gorgeous and all the man candy was bonus! I love Ewan, so it was great to see him playing against type.

The fight scenes were brutal. I total bought Carano as a bad-ass MoFo. Gorgeous action fun.

MaddyCat

Back to top Go down

Post  jcpdiesel21 on Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:41 pm

The Artist was enjoyable and a lot of fun. The story was simple but effective, and the movie used sound in some surprisingly effective ways. Uggie is awesome; I want one of my own! This was not my favorite film of the year, but definitely worth a viewing. The lead actors in particular are incredibly charming and perfect in their roles.
jcpdiesel21

Back to top Go down

Post  epudom on Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:01 pm

Went to see Shame this afternoon, and it is one of the bleakest things I've ever watched. Naked Fassbender ass notwithstanding, this is not a fun movie. Also it has made me even more apprehensive about watching the first McQueen/Fassbender film Hunger; I've had it on the pvr for a few months and heard it was brutal, but am now too afeared to even watch 5 minutes.
epudom

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:37 pm

Hunger was so bleak that it almost physically hurt. Plus, I wasn't expecting to see Fassbender drop that much weight. It was very jarring for me. I expected it from Christian Bale in The Machinist, but I went into Hunger not knowing much of anything really, so the transformation into emaciated Bobby Sands caught me way offguard. Obviously, I should've taken a note just from the title, but I just am not that smart.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:50 pm

OMG, The Artist is deserving of every bit of praise it's getting and then some. Just delightful and lovely all the way through, and I think I'm a little in love with Jean Dujardin, Berenice Bejo, and Uggie the Dog.
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:33 pm

The Artist still hasn't hit a theater I can get to.

So this weekend, I'm gonna pay to see a movie I already own three times over. Or rather, I'm going to pay to get some collectible Darth Maul-themed 3D glasses.

Oh, hell, I'd be doing that anyway. But it would be nice to be able to also see The Artist.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  dionneshea on Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:24 am

I saw Harry Potter and the Woman in Black tonight and thought it was quite good. Now, I hate horror films, particularly on the big screen, as they tend to aggravate my anxiety, so I can't say I had a good time, but I can appreciate it as a well-done film. Daniel Radcliffe was very good, and it was fantastically shot. He really could have used a sassy, gay friend, though. "Look at your life, look at your choices. You just saw a creepy face in the window so you run into the house to see what it was? And why are you still in the house?!". I would recommend it to horror fans.
dionneshea

Back to top Go down

Post  slmader on Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:13 am

I saw The Woman in Black two weeks ago and you're right, it's pretty good. The score is awesome and the scares were good scares. I shrieked a couple of times. I also thought Daniel Radcliffe was really good. I'm not a big fan of gorefests so it was nice to go see a scary move that didn't really have any blood in it.

slmader

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top