Now Playing At a Theater Near You

Page 37 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Now Playing At a Theater Near You

Post  laddical on Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:07 pm

Yes
Spoiler:
They did say the initial ten embryos would be gestated outside a womb - they glossed over it in one line of dialogue and absolutely no explanation - and that the ten would then be used for surrogacy. I would assume they have a way of telling how at least one or more of the ten would be female, but I'm not sure how genetic testing would work at the embryonic stage before the development into one or the other begins.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:32 pm

But
Spoiler:
still, you would have to wait for those 10 to grow up, and then gestate more.  So even if five people survive to the new planet, they're going to be raising 10 kids?  When Anne Hathaway made it to the planet I was all "good luck being pregnant every moment for the rest of your life WHILE taking care of the children by yourself!"
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  jaraga on Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:36 am

Saw Nightcrawler last week. Jake Gylenhaal (sp?) was so creepy and intense and not in a hot way. I don't think I could buy him as a romantic hero ever again. Though he probably never wants to play a romantic hero ever again.

Also saw Interstellar. TARS and CASE, best movie robots since R2D2 and C3PO.

jaraga

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:05 pm

He looks so intense and scary in that movie with the dramatic weight loss and that hungry look in his eyes. I still need to see that while it's in theaters.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:09 pm

I saw Nighcrawler a few weeks ago, and I thought it was good, and found it surprisingly...funny? It was a nice adult intelligent movie, but I wasn't as wowed by it or Jake's  performance as the ink spilled about it led me to believe I would be.

I also just watched The Babadook and I initially I thought it was a bit overated *as a horror film* though I thought it was still very good family drama about parental alienation of the non-Baldwin variety.
Spoiler:
Perhaps it's because the Babadook itself is such a literalization of her metaphorical feelings about her child and her life, and also he's a little bit Edward Gorey in his imagery
But then when I went to sleep I had holy fucking nightmare about it, so I have to concede it was in fact pretty damn scary. I also appreciate that it's a film written/directed by a woman and passes the Bechdel test.

blixie
Mod Squad

http://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Morning Angel on Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:05 pm

Steve Carell is excellent in Foxcatcher as I expected, but Channing Tatum was also very impressive, which I did not expect. Not that he's a bad actor, but I didn't expect to be so impressed by the physicality of his character. He conveys so much with very little dialogue.
Morning Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  Jordan Baker on Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:37 am

Just saw the long delayed/partially buried Jennifer Lawrence/Bradley Cooper film Serena. It was... weird. I've been trying to find some information about what happened to it in post-production because it plays like a film that was taken away from the director during editing and then hacked up and pasted back together by studio execs, but haven't found much.  I did find out that it was once set to star Angelina Jolie, which is funny because as I was watching it I was thinking that Lawrence is good, but Jolie would have killed in the role.

Jordan Baker

Back to top Go down

Post  vwlphb on Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:43 pm

I went to see Annie today, and frankly I'm shocked it only has 29% positive reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. Based on the film I would have expected it to be somewhere around 55-60%.

Sure it was cheesy, but so is the source material. Quevenzhane Wallis was charming. My main complaint was that it could easily have been half an hour shorter, but I really enjoyed it. A lot of the reviews I saw complained it should have more social commentary on the wealth gap and other modern society issues, which seemed a bit of a high expectation of a kids movie. I thought it had a decent amount of snark to it on politics and technology.

vwlphb

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:05 pm

Night at the Museum was cheesy (I took my nieces), but when Robin Williams' Teddy Rosevelt said good bye I may have teared up a little.

Last edited by bookworm on Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:29 pm

Dude, I gasped when Plutarch appeared in Mockingjay. I miss Philip Seymour Hoffman.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:54 pm

vwlphb wrote:I went to see Annie today, and frankly I'm shocked it only has 29% positive reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. Based on the film I would have expected it to be somewhere around 55-60%.

Sure it was cheesy, but so is the source material. Quevenzhane Wallis was charming. My main complaint was that it could easily have been half an hour shorter, but I really enjoyed it. A lot of the reviews I saw complained it should have more social commentary on the wealth gap and other modern society issues, which seemed a bit of a high expectation of a kids movie. I thought it had a decent amount of snark to it on politics and technology.

Was there a redemption arc for Miss Hannigan, like the trailer hinted?

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  vwlphb on Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:14 pm

Put behind a spoiler tag in case anyone cares:
Annie spoiler:
There is. It's sort of like the 1982 version, minus the death threat - Hannigan plots with Will Stacks (Jammie Foxx)'s campaign director to find fake parents for Annie. When she finds out that the fake parents are going to hide Annie until the election is over then dump her on the streets somewhere, she feel guilty and goes to tell Stacks what happened.

vwlphb

Back to top Go down

Post  dionneshea on Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:02 am

I saw Into the Woods, today. It was delightful! I've never seen the stage show, so I didn't really know what to expect other than loving Sondheim and most of the cast. I was wary of Johnny Depp's involvement, but thankfully it's a small role, and he did very well in it. All were great. Chris Pine was a real standout because he was so flipping funny. I didn't know he could be that funny. It was just a super fun movie, if you're into musicals. There are some sad spots, too, but I thought it was a good time. If you enjoy musicals, I recommend it.
dionneshea

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:03 pm

I saw Into the Woods yesterday too. I thought it was great. My sister and I were OBSESSED with it when it first came out. We were concurrently obsessed with Star Trek: TNG, and I am not kidding that we spent hours sometimes -- and I was in high school by then; I am so cool -- playing this elaborate thing where our Barbies were the various ST:TNG characters, and those characters were performing Into the Woods. Picard was the narrator, Bev was the Baker's Wife, Data was the Baker, Riker and Geordi were the princes, Troi was Cinderella, Wesley was Jack...it was Nerdy Child Inception. We didn't have enough Barbies so like this weird wooden Dutch doll was Wesley/Jack. It was a good time. A squeaky pig was Milky White and we called it Milky Oink. OH GOD WE WERE SUCH COOL TEENS.

Anyway. I hadn't seen/listened to it in YEARS (I kinda OD'd on it, like with Phantom of the Opera), and I'd forgotten a lot of the songs, but of course they instantly came back to me with all the lyrics intact once I heard the opening notes. I think they nicely surmounted a lot of potential problems with adapting such a stagy, snarky show (the birds, the cow falling over, the narrator thing) into a movie, making certain humorous bits work in the slightly new setting and letting other ones gracefully go.

I think even with my love for it I didn't really appreciate back then HOW brilliant it is. I realize it's a banally obvious thing to say that Stephen Sondheim is a genius, but...Stephen Sondheim is a genius. And I also liked Meryl and really everybody was great, except the wolf felt really self-indulgent, like the movie was interrupted for Johnny Depp to come in and be Johnny Depp (and like they told him to dress as a wolf and he just half-assed it like a slacker teen who gets by on charm all the time instead of doing his homework and they just rolled their eyes and said fine) and then after that we could get back to the movie. Someone needs to say no to Johnny Depp sometime.
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed on Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:24 am

Instant Monkeys wrote:I saw Into the Woods yesterday too. I thought it was great. My sister and I were OBSESSED with it when it first came out. We were concurrently obsessed with Star Trek: TNG, and I am not kidding that we spent hours sometimes -- and I was in high school by then; I am so cool -- playing this elaborate thing where our Barbies were the various ST:TNG characters, and those characters were performing Into the Woods. Picard was the narrator, Bev was the Baker's Wife, Data was the Baker, Riker and Geordi were the princes, Troi was Cinderella, Wesley was Jack...it was Nerdy Child Inception. We didn't have enough Barbies so like this weird wooden Dutch doll was Wesley/Jack. It was a good time. A squeaky pig was Milky White and we called it Milky Oink. OH GOD WE WERE SUCH COOL TEENS.

This may be one of the greatest things I have ever read.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:50 am

vwlphb wrote:I went to see Annie today, and frankly I'm shocked it only has 29% positive reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. Based on the film I would have expected it to be somewhere around 55-60%.

Is "Tomorrow" sung to Barack Obama to inspire him to kick his Cabinet into gear to end the recession? No? THEN I'M OUT, BITCHES.
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mayram on Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:36 am

I saw Into the Woods, today. It was delightful! I've never seen the stage show, so I didn't really know what to expect other than loving Sondheim and most of the cast. I was wary of Johnny Depp's involvement, but thankfully it's a small role, and he did very well in it. All were great. Chris Pine was a real standout because he was so flipping funny. I didn't know he could be that funny. It was just a super fun movie, if you're into musicals. There are some sad spots, too, but I thought it was a good time. If you enjoy musicals, I recommend it.

I saw this yesterday and I loved it. Chris Pine was fabulous because he was so clearly having a blast. The song with him and the other blonde prince in the waterfall just killed me, they were hamming it up like crazy. His 80's Ken doll hair made me laugh too. The line "I was raised to be charming, not sincere" got a big laugh.

The little girl who played Little Red Riding Hood was the most annoying bit of the movie, she had that precocious stagy child actor thing going on and it really grated. Also didn't care too much for the Johnny Depp sequence, it got very creepy with the lyrics of little girls and flesh and all that.

Outside of those two, I thought everyone was great and it was such a fun movie.

mayram

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky on Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:30 pm

Instant Monkeys wrote:I saw Into the Woods yesterday too...
I think even with my love for it I didn't really appreciate back then HOW brilliant it is. I realize it's a banally obvious thing to say that Stephen Sondheim is a genius, but...Stephen Sondheim is a genius. And I also liked Meryl and really everybody was great, except the wolf felt really self-indulgent, like the movie was interrupted for Johnny Depp to come in and be Johnny Depp (and like they told him to dress as a wolf and he just half-assed it like a slacker teen who gets by on charm all the time instead of doing his homework and they just rolled their eyes and said fine) and then after that we could get back to the movie. Someone needs to say no to Johnny Depp sometime.

To be fair, if Johnny Depp was allowed to do what he wanted, he'd probably have been wearing a real wolf carcass and had an wolf jaw implanted in his face. I do agree that the Wolf parts were oddly disconnected from the rest of the movie and I'm not sure why.

Chris Pine was my favorite. I didn't know he could sing. He was clearly having a blast. I also can't believe that I preferred him over Johnny Depp, my favorite for years.
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:34 pm

Also didn't care too much for the Johnny Depp sequence, it got very creepy with the lyrics of little girls and flesh and all that.

To be fair, it's *supposed* to be creepy by bringing the sexual subtext of the original story right into the text.

I think the reason it feels so disconnected from the rest of the movie is that there's really no way to do it properly if you're setting the rest of the movie up as "realistic". Unless you stage-ify the whole film, you're stuck with two options: going with a realistic wolf (CGI most likely) which then runs into the problem of how we're supposed to accept the wolf eating Red and Granny whole, or going with a stagey representation of a wolf, which they did, which runs into the problem of not matching the realism of the rest of the movie.

I think the stagey representation was the best of those two options - and as stagey wolves go, I think the zoot suit Tex Avery thing was brilliant. But honestly, I would have preferred it if the whole movie had been more stagey and less realistic. Hell, they could have presented the whole thing in real time on a proscenium stage as if performing live and just used the cameras for close-ups and editing and I probably would have been fine with it.

As it is, I love it. It's a solid capture of one of my favorite musicals, and if the wolf bit doesn't quite gel with the rest of the movie, it's only one small part and it's over and done in the first thirty minutes.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:58 pm

Was there a redemption arc for Miss Hannigan, like the trailer hinted
?

vwlphb wrote:Put behind a spoiler tag in case anyone cares:
Annie spoiler:
There is. It's sort of like the 1982 version, minus the death threat - Hannigan plots with Will Stacks (Jammie Foxx)'s campaign director to find fake parents for Annie. When she finds out that the fake parents are going to hide Annie until the election is over then dump her on the streets somewhere, she feel guilty and goes to tell Stacks what happened.

Thanks!

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:56 am

I saw Wild thought it was quite good, and Laura Dern was dynamite, and while I appreciated how it inspired her to make peace with her pain, I love these kinds of reminders why I would never ever fucking do something like that. Neither hiking 1000 miles alone, nor heroine. I also thought the ending contemplation was super kind of bullshit-y and that her mother's summation of a similar sentiment went down much better 20 minutes earlier.

blixie
Mod Squad

http://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rivki8699 on Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:10 pm

I just saw Into the Woods last night, and I adored it. It's my favorite musical, so I was a bit worried when I heard rumors that they were cutting it down substantially for "moral" reasons, but that was clearly not the case. They cut it for time/flow, and I think it worked. As much as I love that second Agony and the Baker's song with his father, they would have been completely out of place in the movie, given how they shortened the timeframe.

Chris Pine was definitely the stand-out for me, but I knew that he would be the moment he was cast. He is unspeakably perfect in that role. And Meryl Streep was much better than I was expecting - her Children Will Listen was lovely, and that is not an easy song to sing.

At the end, during You Are Not Alone I was thinking about how lovely all the singing was in the movie - such a sharp contrast to Les Mis. Hopefully well get more movie musicals where everyone can sing.
rivki8699

Back to top Go down

Post  Snarryfan on Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:07 pm

I saw Into the Woods the day after Christmas and really loved it. They captured the snarky humor really well. Chris Pine was amazing--as one reviewer put it "he is doing a full Shatner the way he can't do in Star Trek."

I also was crying during the end once No One is Alone started up. I think I may have been the only one in my theatre weeping because I have a soul.

I was surprised by how many kids, like 7/8 years old, were there. This is not a musical for kids!

Snarryfan

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy on Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:16 pm

I saw it last weekend and really liked it. I am another one who had the musical memorized. I think they did a good job making it fit into a 2 hour movie. My Mom thought the wolf part didn't work very well, as on the stage you can use your imagination and on film they need to show it and it just ended up weird. Also, Cinderella's prince gets bored real quick.

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:03 pm

There were two women behind me who had never seen the play. Their comments were cracking me up. When Prince Charming starts in on the wife, one of them said really loudly "is he for real?" I thought the cuts made sense, and Chris Pine made me die in the "Agony" number.
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 37 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top