Now Playing At a Theater Near You

Page 39 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Now Playing At a Theater Near You

Post  Algae on Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:02 am

Coneycat, we took my kids and my niece and nephew to see Paddington this weekend, too. It was very sweet and all the kids enjoyed it. Krill (3) fell asleep for the last half hour, but that's all right. It was just such a nice, simple movie without being garish or gross (earwax aside) or anything. Just nice.

Spoiler (?) <<
Spoiler:
I did have a bit of a chuckle that Peter Capaldi first popped up around a Red Telephone box and wondered if the parallel to the Blue Police Box was intentional.
>>
Algae

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar on Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:49 am

Saw Boyhood last night and thought it was fascinating. I kind of just wanted it to keep going, you know? I can't remember the last time I thought that about a movie that was almost 3 hours long. (When I saw Return of the King in theatres, and we got to Ending #3, I was like "Oh, COME ON!")
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  sagitare on Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:14 pm

Coneycat wrote:There was one moment when Paddington is reminded of home when I puddled up a bit, but otherwise it was pretty much all smiles all the time.
Was that when
Spoiler:
he's watching the old movie and walks through the screen? Because I'm getting a bit teary just thinking about it! That was so well done.
sagitare

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat on Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:15 pm

sagitare wrote:
Coneycat wrote:There was one moment when Paddington is reminded of home when I puddled up a bit, but otherwise it was pretty much all smiles all the time.
Was that when
Spoiler:
he's watching the old movie and walks through the screen? Because I'm getting a bit teary just thinking about it! That was so well done.

It was! And yes, it was a beautifully sniffly moment.

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 on Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:31 pm

I saw Whiplash last Thursday and man, it was incredible. it was gripping and tense and just SO MUCH, you know? J.K. Simmons was fantastic and if he wins best supporting actor it will be so well deserved. But I also thought Miles Teller was wonderful as well - there was so much emotion in the things he didn't say or react to and I thought it was prefect. The last ten or fifteen minutes alone were phenomenal.
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:47 pm

Whiplash had me squirming and climbing the back of my chair like no movie that actually falls under the genre "suspense" ever has. I think the real, tangible evil of Fletcher's behavior had something to do with that. It's easy to remind yourself it's only a movie when everything's amped up and more than a little unreal. But JK Simmons was at least one teacher and one boss that I've had in real life - and they didn't even offer the bullshit excuse of trying to find the "next Charlie Parker" - they were just unmitigated assholes.

That final showdown drum solo was fucking amazing. I didn't even care that it was sometimes obvious that what Teller was doing with his sticks had nothing to do with the soundtrack. The sound was gorgeous and Teller and Simmons sold it.

Really is the only one of the BP nominees I've seen to give Selma a run for my personal pick. Not that I think either is actually likely to win.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 on Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:15 pm

Oh, man, when Fletcher
Spoiler:
finally zeroed in on Neiman and what he was doing as he was playing the solo and the look on his face was just like "See? See? This is why I pushed you, just keep going" was the most superb acting from Simmons. My eyes were glued to the screen.

Incredible.
eventide82

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:30 pm

You guys are getting me so amped to watch Whiplash. I hope I remember to catch it this weekend! I'd also really love to see The Theory of Everything while it's still in theaters.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 on Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:55 pm

We saw The Theory of Everything on Saturday night and I enjoyed it. Eddie Redmayne was great, and I thought he and Felicity Jones worked incredibly well together. The story was great, but I wished at times they focused in a little more on Jane's story. But overall it was good.
eventide82

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy on Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:06 am

Saw Jupiter Ascending yesterday. It was amazing. Also not good. But amazing. Visually it was really beautiful. Plot and dialogue wise it was a mess, but a highly entertaining one. Also elf-wolf-man Channing Tatum and Sean Bee.

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:08 am

I just barely saw the trailer last week when I found out Douglas Booth is in it, and that movie looks like a mess and a half. The effects do look great as expected, but Channing Tatum looks laughable, and Mila Kunis seems like a wooden block. I hope the acting is better than the trailers would lead one to expect.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy on Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:55 am

No I think the trailers do a good job of showing you exactly what is in the movie. So if you didn't see the trailer and say to yourself, "Are you not entertained?", skipping it is not a bad idea.

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf on Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:29 am

I was entertained by the trailers, I do want to see this. SHould I continue on my plan or save my time and money?

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:08 pm

How do you feel about Speed Racer and Cloud Atlas?

Not that this really has anything in common with either of those movies. But if you saw either of those movies and resisted the Wachowskis' insistence on doing whatever the fuck they were doing at any given moment, this movie is *so* not for you.

To that end, I loved it. Even though I recognize every single structural flaw (like, even *I* was banging my head against the armrest and back of my seat the *third time* Caine saves Jupiter from her former self's evil children).
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf on Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:32 pm

I haven't seen those, but I don't mind the Matrix sequels.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy on Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:01 am

If you were entertained by the trailer and are willing to leave expectations for a plot at home, go see it. It is beautiful, and really ridiculous. Go with people that enjoy the ridiculous.

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:28 am

Fuck Kingsman: The Secret Service.

I really should have known better, since I'm aware of Mark Millar's craptacularly cynical view from his comic book writings, and I know that Matthew Vaughn has never met a shocking bit of violence he didn't like. But Colin Firth is so damn wonderful in the trailers (and in the movie itself, if I'm honest) that I allowed myself to hope that maybe this was a fun twist on James Bond.

And from a pure story perspective, I really liked it. Unfortunately, that story is told with the most despicable glee in its graphic violence. Bloodless graphic violence, which is something I don't understand. I think I might have been more forgiving of the violence if Vaughn would have committed to it - but likely he would have ended up with an NC-17 rating. This is a movie where a man gets sliced in half from head to groin, his halves fall away from each other and there isn't a drop of blood spilled. And then, as if to draw attention to this antiseptic slaughter, we're informed that the villain will vomit uncontrollably if he sees so much as a *drop* of blood - and yet he saunters into the room after this vivisection and the only cleaning done is to cover the body with a sheet when there should be a fucking pool of blood all over the floor.

Seriously. Fuck this movie.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat on Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:58 pm

I saw Kingsman yesterday and had a lot of goofy fun. It was a lot less spoofy and a lot more violent than I was expecting, but I adjusted. And there were a couple of genuinely shocking moments, which is unusual and which I appreciated. The characters were a lot of fun to watch, which is my big draw in a movie of this type. So yeah, it was a fun way to spend the afternoon of a random vacation day.

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:47 pm

It was not quite as I expected. I too was thinking there would be more spoof and less weird violence. But Colin Firth, Mark Strong and Taron Egerton were all delightful. Egerton more than held his own in the film. I did have a moment where I thought Eggsy's mum was Billie Piper. And how much does Samuel L. hate Spike Lee?
Not perfect or exactly what I'd hoped for but still a fun way to spend the afternoon.
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:39 pm

And how much does Samuel L. hate Spike Lee?

I hadn't heard about that. I know they disagree strongly over Tarantino's movies, but they did make Oldboy together last year.

But Colin Firth, Mark Strong and Taron Egerton were all delightful.

They really were, which just makes how much I was repulsed by this movie hurt all the more.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle on Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:07 pm

The only thing I hated about the movie was
Spoiler:
the princess offering anal sex at the end.
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:28 pm

I could have done without that too, TiffanyNichelle. And I thought I'd read somewhere that SLJ based his performance on Spike Lee due to some bad blood.
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat on Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:42 pm

As proof that everyone has their own special things to be weirded out by-- there's a bit late in the movie when the Kingsmen are flying their aircraft (originating, and presumably registered, in Britain) someplace and the pilot calls into a control tower as November something-something-- the aircraft registration begins with "N" and consists of a series of numbers and letters. That's American-- "N" is assigned to US aircraft, followed by a series of numbers and possibly letters. British planes are registered as G and then four letters. (Canadian aircraft are "C" and four letters.) Earlier in the movie we see a different aircraft with the British registration clearly shown. That jolted me during the movie, and left me scratching my head a little because in-story the flight clearly originated in Britain, and even if government-owned British aircraft follow a different registration system, this one wasn't government and N is American. I'm actually doing some research even as we speak to find out if I'm missing something!

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  sagitare on Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:57 pm

I was so disappointed by Kingsman. Everything about this movie was way too fucking long: the talking scenes, the action scenes, the time it took to get Taron Egerton's story going (or maybe that was me desperately wishing for the kid to step into the story for real so that maybe something interesting could start happening), the way even something like the bloody cliched 'countdown to oblivion' scene was drawn out as long as it possibly could be when you know the clock isn't going to hit 0 and you're just mentally yelling at the screen that you've seen this in a million other bloody movies, so really? This is what you're paid screenwriters came up with, are you kidding me??

Folks, when the bucketloads of charisma from Egerton, the mere presence of Mark Strong, and Colin Firth in tailored suits cannot save this movie, then I can only weep at the overall failure of humanity.

This should never have been a two-hour plus movie. Edited down to an hour and a half and it might have been zippy and fun. As it was, had I been there by myself I would have walked out. Let that sink in for a moment. Colin Firth. Tailored suits. And I would have walked out.

And yes, the
Spoiler:
anal sex offering from the princess was just really fucking gross.
sagitare

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:49 am

I hadn't really thought about it, but yes. Too long. Especially the fight sequences. After Harry killed his twentieth white supremacist in the church I think we got the point, but there were still fifty or sixty to go.

Also:
Spoiler:
WAY TO WASTE MARK HAMILL, GUYS.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 39 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top