Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Comic Books and Graphic Novels

+25
year of the cat
RiverThames
big chicken
The Dude
pizzagirl20
Lurker
Miss Moneypenny
Dachelle
dday515
Instant Monkeys
oxymoron
Rhilin
vwlphb
Bad Username
Eris Rising
Charishawk
Kiran
Red Wolf
Raksha
punzy
TiffanyNichelle
Menshevixen
narfzz
laddical
Luthien
29 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Comic Books and Graphic Novels Empty Comic Books and Graphic Novels

Post  Luthien Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:07 pm

After some great recommendations in the previous incarnation of this thread (thanks whoever mentioned "Winter Soldier"), I went on a bit of a comics kick. I am a casual reader who would be put to shame pretty quickly by a dyed-in-the-wool fan, but I found some things recently at the library and through recommendations from my local comic store that were really enjoyable.

The manager at my local comic book store suggested I try "Thor: The Mighty Avenger" by Roger Langridge and holy cow, I was blown away. It was the best series I've read in ages. I didn't know anything about Thor other than what I'd seen in the movie, and the series was a perfect introduction. I'm so disappointed that it's been cancelled. It was so well-written and beautifully drawn. Thor/Jane forever! (I don't know what's going on in regular continuity and if they're not together, please don't tell me).

At the library, I checked out a couple of collections from Marvel: "Marvel: 1602" and "You Just Hit The Jackpot". I'd read the original Marvel 1602 collection by Neil Gaiman several years ago, but I never knew there was more. I really liked the rest of the stories, with the 1602 Spider-Man probably my favourite; the artwork was lovely and the final page is my new desktop wallpaper (Peter Parquagh and Marion Jane web-swinging away). "Jackpot" was a collection of stories about Peter and Mary Jane from her introduction onwards, and it was a great, fascinating read. There was one comic in particular called "Parallel Lives" that was fantastic, and another great one featured Captain America. I love reading older comics, both for the artwork and the writing.

Finally, I found two DC collections at the library: "Superman: Secret Origin" and "Green Lantern: Secret Origin". I loved the Superman story, but didn't care for the Green Lantern one. I'm not familiar with Green Lantern at all; haven't seen the movie or ever read a GL comic. I didn't like Hal Jordan, he came off as a jerk. In fact, most of the characters seemed unlikeable. Maybe it's just not to my taste. I did love the Superman one, especially the supporting cast. I have a soft spot for Superman, though.

Luthien

Back to top Go down

Comic Books and Graphic Novels Empty Re: Comic Books and Graphic Novels

Post  laddical Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:11 pm

The manager at my local comic book store suggested I try "Thor: The Mighty Avenger" by Roger Langridge and holy cow, I was blown away. It was the best series I've read in ages. I didn't know anything about Thor other than what I'd seen in the movie, and the series was a perfect introduction. I'm so disappointed that it's been cancelled. It was so well-written and beautifully drawn. Thor/Jane forever! (I don't know what's going on in regular continuity and if they're not together, please don't tell me).

I rec'd that one for you on the old thread! It really is amazing, and I'd never read a Thor book before. I want more comics to be like it - FUN.

In regular continuity, Thor is currently dead because of prophecy shenanigans during the Fear Itself cross-over. He'll be back in a few months, though, since I imagine Marvel will have yet another shake-up on the Avengers front so that the team approximates who'll be in the movie.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  narfzz Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:46 pm

I just read the new Hulk and new Wolverine and the X-men. Is there any rec's for what I should read to catch up on the what happened in the continuity? Especially for the later series, I'm curious to what happened to Jean Grey and what is the Hellfire Club? I'm so intrigued that I'm tempted to see if I can find a friend with all the old comics and marathon them.

narfzz

Back to top Go down

Post  Menshevixen Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:38 pm

Skipping through the daisies with 100 Bullets. I wish I had discovered this series sooner--I kept hearing about it and never got around to it, and now I finally have and I'm so happy, it's amazing.
Menshevixen
Menshevixen

Back to top Go down

Post  Luthien Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:12 pm

I rec'd that one for you on the old thread! It really is amazing, and I'd never read a Thor book before. I want more comics to be like it - FUN.

So that's why it sounded so familiar! Thanks so much. I wish to goodness Marvel would do something like that for other heroes. Spider-Man, for example. Or Captain America. I like comics to be fun and so few are at the moment. I kind of wish Marvel had been the company to throw everything out and start over rather than DC. I think they need it more.

Thor is currently dead

Comics and soaps: the only two places where a sentence like that makes sense. I wonder how many times Thor has died over the years? Though the more I think about it, most comic characters have only died once or twice.

I'm still reading "Archie: The Married Life", but it's getting a little tangled. I was fine when it was simply two parallel universes, but now they're crossing over and it's all a little weird. Then again, Archie has always been a little weird. There's an ad in the latest issue for an upcoming "Archie Meets KISS" issue.

Skipping through the daisies with 100 Bullets.

I looked this up, and it sounds intriguing!

Luthien

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:19 pm

If anyone was reading the Fear Itself event you should definitely check out the follow up comics like Fear Itself 7.1.
Spoiler:
TiffanyNichelle
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:23 am

I'm still reading "Archie: The Married Life", but it's getting a little tangled. I was fine when it was simply two parallel universes, but now they're crossing over and it's all a little weird. Then again, Archie has always been a little weird. There's an ad in the latest issue for an upcoming "Archie Meets KISS" issue.

how is this an upcoming issue? Is Archie marketed to people in the 80s? I am so confused!

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:09 am

Didn't Archie meet The Punisher once? I vaguely remember running across that in a discussion of the most bizarre crossovers I had with someone somewhere once (memory like a steel trap, y'all).
Raksha
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:10 am

Yeah. The Punisher is hunting down one particular criminal, who skips town to Riverdale. And guess what, he looks almost exactly like Archie. There's various mistaken identity hijinks, but in the end the criminal is arrested.

I found it online a couple of years ago. Not bad for what it is.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:09 am

When I became disabled and started living on a tiny fixed income, I had to give up my comic book habit (it was, like, $200 a month). But I can't fucking take it anymore. I needs me some comics!

So I'm letting myself follow Angel & Faith and only one X-book. So what is the best ongoing X-Men book right now?
Raksha
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:42 pm

Ugh I just found out that X-23, one of the only female-lead series is being canceled. Thanks for nothing.
TiffanyNichelle
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:29 pm

Really? I'm so annoyed. I was all excited they were bringing Hellions back.

Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Charishawk Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:37 am

X-23 was canceled? Boo.

I am so, so behind on even my regular comics, like 6 months behind and haven't even read Fear Itself yet (thank you real life) but I was super-excited to get the first Legion: Secret Origins issue in my pull-box on my latest visit to the store, because I am (sort of) on the cover! Whee! The gal falling through the portal, i.e. Phantom Girl? I posed for that! Woo!

P.S. It is hard to stand on one leg under bright lights while pretending to fall backwards in a bathing suit while someone takes pictures of you from weird angles and another person holds onto you from behind so you don't fall down.

Charishawk

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:01 pm

Charishawk wrote:X-23 was canceled? Boo.

I am so, so behind on even my regular comics, like 6 months behind and haven't even read Fear Itself yet (thank you real life) but I was super-excited to get the first Legion: Secret Origins issue in my pull-box on my latest visit to the store, because I am (sort of) on the cover! Whee! The gal falling through the portal, i.e. Phantom Girl? I posed for that! Woo!

P.S. It is hard to stand on one leg under bright lights while pretending to fall backwards in a bathing suit while someone takes pictures of you from weird angles and another person holds onto you from behind so you don't fall down.

You're sure that this was for the comic? You didn't just respond to a Craigslist ad, did you?
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:12 pm

Charishawk wrote: Whee! The gal falling through the portal, i.e. Phantom Girl? I posed for that! Woo!

Really? Wow that is so cool!
TiffanyNichelle
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Charishawk Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:27 am

Eris Rising wrote:
Charishawk wrote:X-23 was canceled? Boo.

You're sure that this was for the comic? You didn't just respond to a Craigslist ad, did you?

Hee! No, I swear! Actually it was kinda funny; Tom is a friend whom I hadn't seen in awhile, and I got in to town kind of late, got to the studio, and the first thing he says after, "Hey! Good to see you," or whatever was, "Hey! Would you be a photo reference for me?"

Charishawk

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:16 pm

Joe Simon, co-creator of Captain America, has died. First Jerry Robinson, now this, someone better check in on Stan Lee. :-(
TiffanyNichelle
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Menshevixen Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:07 pm

This Huntress is Helena Wayne. Interview with Paul Levitz.

I'm sad Blackhawks and Static Shock are getting axed, but I'll be picking up Worlds' Finest and Earth-2. And I'm glad Batman Inc will be back finally.
Menshevixen
Menshevixen

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Username Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:09 pm

Mensevixen, I came here to post just that. I'm a bit disappointed that Helena Bertinelli is no more, I really liked her. Apparently she didn't exist at all, in the DCnU 'Bertinelli' was always an alias for Helena Wayne.

I'm starting not to like new Birds of Prey. I'll keep buying in the hope that it gets better, and to support a female-centric book, but I don't like that the main focus seems to be on Starling. Black Canary barely got two lines in issue 4, and apart from Oracle she was my favourite Bird. I like Poison Ivy though.

Bad Username

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Username Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:27 pm

Toronto Batman walks the streets, freaks people out. This is really funny, I cracked up at "Batman, I need a huuuug!" "MY PARENTS ARE DEAD!", and being foiled by the salami thingie.

Bad Username

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:36 pm

Marvel brings Samuel L. Jackson's Nick Fury into the 616 universe.

Yeah, yeah, whatever. Good-bye, Col. Fury the Elder, old soldiers never die they just blah blah blah away.

The more important take away from these continuity acrobatics - AGENT PHIL MOTHERFUCKING COULSON is now in the Marvel 616.

It's about. Damn. Time.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Luthien Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:10 pm

Agent Coulson has made it to the comics? Woo hoo! *dance of joy* Does he look like Clark Gregg? I have watched "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor's Hammer" a dozen times, and it's still just as awesome.

I don't know much of anything about Nick Fury in either the Ultimate or 616 universes; in fact, I basically only know him from the movies. The one time I did read a comic he was in, it was an Ultimate Spider-Man and he was being a complete jerk to Peter Parker, which automatically puts him on my hate list.

Luthien

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:22 pm

He does. He's on the last couple of pages scanned at the link.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:28 pm

I'm happy that Coulson is 616 and I don't mind that they gave Nick a new son right after they killed off his other son last year and hey this version is black, whoa diversity (rme)! But come on, did they have to take his eye, shave his head and give him a goatee? We already have Ultimates Nick Fury which is basically SLJ. Why take away from the awesomeness that is 616 Nick Fury? Come the hell on.

I read the miniseries that introduced the new son of Fury and the character that was Coulson before we knew he was Coulson looked nothing like him until this final issue.
TiffanyNichelle
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:31 pm

I believe Phineas Flynn said it best: "Yes. Yes they did."

Woah. Disney synergy moment....
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content