Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Comic Books and Graphic Novels

+25
year of the cat
RiverThames
big chicken
The Dude
pizzagirl20
Lurker
Miss Moneypenny
Dachelle
dday515
Instant Monkeys
oxymoron
Rhilin
vwlphb
Bad Username
Eris Rising
Charishawk
Kiran
Red Wolf
Raksha
punzy
TiffanyNichelle
Menshevixen
narfzz
laddical
Luthien
29 posters

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Comic Books and Graphic Novels - Page 5 Empty Re: Comic Books and Graphic Novels

Post  Bad Username Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:39 am

Can anyone recommend any X-Men storylines for me? I'm fairly unfamiliar with them, but have read half of Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men story. I like Kitty and Peter, if that helps.

ETA: And to return the favour if anyone else is chasing recommendations, I can't recommend Batwoman enough. No matter how much the new-52 annoys you, everyone needs to be reading Batwoman. The new Captain Marvel is knocking my socks off too.

Bad Username

Back to top Go down

Comic Books and Graphic Novels - Page 5 Empty Re: Comic Books and Graphic Novels

Post  laddical Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:50 am

The Avengers' Captain Marvel or the DC-Superhero-Formerly-Known-as-Captain-Marvel that has been officially rechristened "Shazam", even though that's supposed to be the name of the wizard that gave him his powers?

Stupid New 52.

Anyway, X-Men. I don't know a whole lot about them, but the two storylines I keep hearing about are "Days of Future Past", the basis for the next movie, and "God Loves, Man Kills", which inspired part of the second one.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Username Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:38 am

It's Marvel's/The Avengers' Former-Ms-now-Captain-Marvel, sorry, I should have clarified. And thanks for those recommendations, they sound great.

Bad Username

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:49 am

If you're looking for something recent and on-going, I'd recommend the new Marvel Now X-Men (#1 just came out last week) and Uncanny X-Men. The former is an all-female team, all of whom I adore (including Kitty). The latter follows Cyclops' now outlaw band dealing with the fallout from Avengers vs. X-Men (which I also recommend, and it's a limited series that's in TPB now) while they try to locate and help the new mutants that are suddenly starting to pop up again. I'm really fascinated by how militant Cyclops has gotten and honestly, this is the most I've ever liked him in comic book form. I haven't read it, but I hear a lot of good things about All-New X-Men too, though I wonder if that might be of more interest to people who are really familiar with the X-Men's original class' origins, since it involves bringing the original 5 young X-Men forward in time to deal with the fall out from A v. X and deals a lot with their reactions to what they have become.

As for old stories, I second Laddical's recs. I'd also recommend The Mutant Massacre storyline (and since it's a big crossover event, I even looked up all the issues for you! It's probably been reprinted all together in TPB form, but just in case: Uncanny X-Men #210-214, X-Factor Vol. 1 #9-11, New Mutants Vol. 1 #46, Thor Vol. 1 #373-374, Power Pack #27, Daredevil Vol. 1 #238). I liked a lot of Grant Morrison's run on New X-Men (even if I hated Frank Quitely's art with a fiery passion). The 'E is for Extinction' story arc in particular made my blood run cold. The Dark Phoenix Saga is an all-time classic (Uncanny X-Men #129-138). The Uncanny X-Men story arc 'From the Ashes' has vintage '80s Kitty Pryde and Colossus, and it's also the origin of the famous "Professo X is a JERK!" cover that you still see all the time.

If you love Kitty, I'd recommend Excalibur, which is a British mutant team that she was a part of for a long time. It started in the late '80s and they pretty much gave Chris Claremont free rein for the first couple years, so things get batshit crazy and downright silly sometimes, but I really enjoyed it. Other writers kind of gave it its own voice; I particularly loved Warren Ellis' run.

That's all I can think of at the moment. I'm sure I'll be kicking myself for not adding 10 others as soon as I've gotten some sleep.
Raksha
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:57 am

even if I hated Frank Quitely's art with a fiery passion

Seriously, how is he one of the most highly regarded artists working right now? Everything he draws looks lumpy and saggy.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Username Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:06 am

Thank you so much Raksha! Your and laddical's recommendations have gone on my Things From Another World wishlist. When they go into my cart for purchase, who can say? But at least I have somewhere to start.

Bad Username

Back to top Go down

Post  vwlphb Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:53 am

Have I posted here about how much I love Princeless? Seriously, it is super charming, and well written, too. I have been enjoying it a ridiculous amount. I mean, just check it out.

vwlphb

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:24 pm

laddical wrote:
even if I hated Frank Quitely's art with a fiery passion

Seriously, how is he one of the most highly regarded artists working right now? Everything he draws looks lumpy and saggy.

I know right! Everyone looks so dumpy. I remember seeing some pin-up thing he did of Emma Frost and I physically recoiled from the page. *shudder* And the fact that he frumped up so much of The Authority's most awesome storylines still makes me actually angry whenever I think about it.
Raksha
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:57 pm

Bad Username wrote:Can anyone recommend any X-Men storylines for me? I'm fairly unfamiliar with them, but have read half of Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men story. I like Kitty and Peter, if that helps.
Seconding (Thirding?) The Dark Phoenix Saga and Days of Future Past. They both fall into the categories of "they're classics for a reason."

There's also a lot of good solo issues, if you can find them:

I adore Uncanny X-Men # 153, "Kitty's Fairy Tale," which is a charming AU, with plenty of Kitty.

Uncanny X-Men # 200, "The Trial of Magneto," does a great job of bringing together a lot of the themes of the series. (Links also contain spoilers for the issues.)

Uncanny X-Men # 309, ". . . When the Tigers Come At Night!", despite the silly title, is a great exploration of Charles Xavier. While I really liked Joss's run on Astonishing X-Men, I did roll my eyes at how he dumped his typical Daddy Issues on the team's metaphorical daddy, which doesn't really give the Professor his due. Apparently, it's collected in the TPB X-Men: The Wedding of Cyclops & Phoenix.

Uncanny X-Men # 321, "Auld Lang Syne," is also a great exploration of Xavier and Magneto's relationship. It was part of the Legion Quest crossover, which was . . . uneven at best, but this issue is a giant Xavier/Magneto fanfic one of my all-time favorites. It will probably be easier for you to find the X-Men: Legion Quest TPB than the individual issue.

Also, I must recommend 1602, by Neil Gaiman and Andy Kubert. It's a reimagining of the entire Marvel universe, set in the Elizabethan Era, and makes clever use of historical and literary allusions. Although not specifically about the X-Men, they do feature prominently, and you probably have picked up everything else you need to know about the rest of the Marvel heroes through movies or cultural osmosis. Just make sure you buy the original 1602 and not the mediocre spin-offs that Marvel produced, hoping to milk money out of that cash cow. Some things should be kept as limited series.

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:05 pm

Gwynevere1 wrote:
Uncanny X-Men # 321, "Auld Lang Syne," is also a great exploration of Xavier and Magneto's relationship. It was part of the Legion Quest crossover, which was . . . uneven at best, but this issue is a giant Xavier/Magneto fanfic one of my all-time favorites. It will probably be easier for you to find the X-Men: Legion Quest TPB than the individual issue.

Ha! Yeah, I just re-read it recently and the bromance is pretty epic. Their breakup must have been one of those really nasty, prolonged ones that exhausted everyone around them!
Raksha
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:38 pm

Astro City returned yesterday, which makes the absence of Doctor Who somehow easier to bear.
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:08 am

Okay, I just found out what happened in Avengers Arena #10:

Spoiler:

Ugh.

In topics that don't ignite my nerd rage, I've been thinking of picking up Winter Soldier (because I really need yet another title on my pull list. It's fine, I don't need to buy food.). How do people like that one? Is it good? Would it be okay to jump on now, or should I get the TPBs first?

ETA: Also, Hawkeye #11 spoilers:
Spoiler:
Raksha
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:03 am

Raksha wrote:In topics that don't ignite my nerd rage, I've been thinking of picking up Winter Soldier (because I really need yet another title on my pull list. It's fine, I don't need to buy food.). How do people like that one? Is it good? Would it be okay to jump on now, or should I get the TPBs first?

Your food money is safe. It was canceled and this week was the last issue.
Miss Moneypenny
Miss Moneypenny

http://daisyrazor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Username Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:59 pm

vwlphb wrote:Have I posted here about how much I love Princeless? Seriously, it is super charming, and well written, too. I have been enjoying it a ridiculous amount. I mean, just check it out.

That looks really cute, I'll definitely have a look.

Gwynevere1, thanks for those recommendations.

Here's some of what I'm reading:

FF - I've read the first five issues, and I like it. It's cute and kind of pulp-y.

Justice League of America - The first four issues. It's okay, I'm going to give it another couple of issues.

The New Deadwardians - a 6-issue miniseries set in Victorian England. A zombie plague occurs, and the upper classes become vampires to protect themselves. It's very good, I recommend it highly.

Saga by Brian K. Vaughan. I'm waiting for trades on this one, so I'm only up to about issue 7. This was marketed as a sci-fi Romeo and Juliet story, which really put me off because I hate Romeo and Juliet. Two people from warring peoples fall in love and have a baby, they are hunted down by a variety of weird bounty hunter types.

X-Men #1. I liked it, but as I said I'm not really an X-Men reader so I can't say whether or not it's 'good'. It looks like it's shaping up to be an interesting story though.

Chin Music - the first issue so far. I picked it up because I like Tony Harris' artwork, and it sounds like a pretty good story. The first issue didn't really have much going on, but I'll keep reading and hope it picks up.

Movement #1, by Gail Simone. An Anonymous-type group of superheroes protect the powerless from the powerful. I love Gail Simone and will read anything she writes (and she's writing Red Sonja! #1 out in July). This book is really really good, and I highly recommend it for anyone who's willing to give money to DC ;-)

And of course Batwoman and Captain Marvel, as I mentioned.

Bad Username

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:17 pm

Bad Username wrote:
X-Men #1. I liked it, but as I said I'm not really an X-Men reader so I can't say whether or not it's 'good'. It looks like it's shaping up to be an interesting story though.

I'm really excited about this book. I love all the characters, so I'm glad to see them together. Loved Rogue being the team powerhouse again, with that train. There were just a few tiny character beats that made me go "eh?", like Kitty saying "OMG!" I...don't think that's a thing Kitty would ever say. Unless she's teasing Jubilee, which is what I'm choosing to believe was happening.

But just to make things even better, Adam WarRock made a song called "X-Women" in honor of this book. I'm amazed at how many characters he managed to cram in there!
Raksha
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:27 am

Is anyone else reading Young Avengers?  I'm so freaking obsessed!  It's so, so good!  I heard somewhere that Gillen and McKelvie intend this as a kind of pop song, and I can see that.  The writing sparkles and the art is flawless.  McKelvie is the king of facial expressions.  And the way they play with the layouts of pages is exciting and really fun.

If you need more convincing, here's Comics Alliance's rave review (they basically spoil the shit out of the first issue and talk about the general overarching theme of the series, but other than that it's not too spoilery.  Also, there are a few scans of some standout pages, but they don't really reveal much out of context).  If you don't mind TONS AND TONS of spoilers, this episode of Matt & Brett Love Comics covers everything I could possibly say about the series so far.

If you want something completely spoiler-free to convince you, this page of Loki trying to convince the others to do something will do it.  Okay, okay.  One More!

Also, I found the comic book shop near my new apartment today.  It is GLORIOUS!
Raksha
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  Menshevixen Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:36 pm

Miss Moneypenny wrote:
Raksha wrote:In topics that don't ignite my nerd rage, I've been thinking of picking up Winter Soldier (because I really need yet another title on my pull list.  It's fine, I don't need to buy food.).  How do people like that one?  Is it good?  Would it be okay to jump on now, or should I get the TPBs first?

Which is a damn tragedy because Brubaker's WS was really good and, for my money, LaTour's was maaayyyybe even a little bit better.

Rucka's new book Lazarus started yesterday and I luff it already. :B
Menshevixen
Menshevixen

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:50 pm

Menshevixen wrote:
Miss Moneypenny wrote:
Raksha wrote:In topics that don't ignite my nerd rage, I've been thinking of picking up Winter Soldier (because I really need yet another title on my pull list.  It's fine, I don't need to buy food.).  How do people like that one?  Is it good?  Would it be okay to jump on now, or should I get the TPBs first?

Which is a damn tragedy because Brubaker's WS was really good and, for my money, LaTour's was maaayyyybe even a little bit better.

Rucka's new book Lazarus started yesterday and I luff it already. :B

I liked the writing, but the whole "hey, let's brainwash Natasha again!" plotline and ensuing manpain lost me; it felt like lazy plotting.
Miss Moneypenny
Miss Moneypenny

http://daisyrazor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:22 am

So when I started buying comics again, I decided to limit my monthly comics to 3 because I am so fucking poor. As of this moment, I have 11 titles on my pull list, and now I've been suckered in to following the Infinity event and I'm already planning to follow the Battle of the Atom upcoming storyline. Goddammit, Marvel. I have no self control at all.

Also, how the hell did I not know Kieron Gillen does a Writer Notes type commentary thing for every issue of Young Avengers that comes out? What am I even doing with my life?? I am very pleased to have an excuse to paw through all my Young Avengers issues again.

In other news, it's giving me whiplash to be reading the new issues of Uncanny X-Men at the same time I'm re-reading the original X-Factor series. I'll be reading some X-Factor and I'll be all "Cyclops you dick!! YOU. DICK." And then a new issue of Uncanny will come out and I'll be all "THAT WAS AWESOME. Cyke, you are badass now." Also, I'm really surprised by how much I want Cyclops and Emma Frost to work their shit out and get back together.
Raksha
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:38 pm

Are there any current/ongoing (Western) comics written by women which have a female lead or a female-dominated ensemble?  I know of Batgirl and The Movement by Gail Simone and Captain Marvel by Kelly Sue DeConnick.  Are there any others?  Thanks.

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:40 pm

Are you only interested in superhero stuff? Because Kelly Sue DeConnick (and a female artist) is also doing a book called Pretty Deadly, which I gather is a supernatural western. The first issue is coming out on the 23rd. Honey West: The Girl for Hire is a comic adaptation written first by Trina Robbins, then by Elaine Lee, about a PI in the 60s (the original books were also by a woman). Also I think most (all?) of the My Little Pony series are written by women.

Also, they're no longer currently running, but Marjorie Liu did a short series (limited series?) Black Widow book in 2010 and an X-23 solo title from 2010-2012.

In other news, does anyone know WTF is up with Hawkeye's publishing schedule? I needs me some Hawkguy and it's been way too long!
Raksha
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:04 am

The first issue of Sandman: Overture came out this week and it's fabulous! I'm so, so excited about this book. It's supposed to be a prequel to the original Sandman series and it's already delightfully weird. I'd love it for the story alone, but the art just puts it over the top. I don't know how I've managed to overlook J.H. Williams III until recently, but he is phenominal. I love his layouts and the innovative ways he lays out his panels. Like, that scene with The Corinthian where the two page spread was set up like Corinthian's mouth-eyes and the panels were the teeth. Amazing and completely traumatizing! And the colorist Dave Stewart deserves a lot of credit as well. It adds even more amazingness to an already great book. So gorgeous.

Also, I have no words to say how excited I am about the upcoming Black Widow solo book. Phil Noto on art, you guys! Phil Noto!
Raksha
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:35 am

Shameful confession: I've never enjoyed Neil Gaiman's work. It's nothing I can put my finger on, just never clicked for me.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:06 am

Fair enough. He definitely has a certain groove to his work and if that's not your particular thing then you're not going to find anything in his bibliography for you. Luckily, his story kinks are my story kinks, so I'm happy.

However, I will say that if you run across Sandman: Overture in a store or know anyone who has a copy of it lying around, you should definitely flip through it just to see the art. It's extraordinary and worth looking at for its own sake.
Raksha
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:29 am

JH Williams III does the art for Overture. In my opinion, he is the greatest comic book artist of his generation, and deserves to end up at the same level of respect as Kirby or Ditko. If he doesn't, it will likely only be because his work is done in their shadow on characters they and their contemporaries created. But the way he makes every inch of every page a work of art - even the gutters between panels - that's something he does better than anyone.

And Dan Didio and Geoff Johns and their anti-marriage, anti-character growth point of view are fucking idiots for letting him (and Blackman) go. Especially without letting them finish the arc they were working on.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next