Comic Books and Graphic Novels

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Comic Books and Graphic Novels

Post  TiffanyNichelle on Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:54 pm

One last angry geek moment, I've seen a quote that say something like movie fans would be confused if they started to read the 616 comics and saw that Nick Fury was a white guy. But isn't that why you can then point them in the direction of the Ultimates line which was created to keep new X-Men movie fans from being confused by all the continuity in the 616verse? And after Miles Morales was created there was a big deal about how the Ultimateverse counted just as much as the 616 and there shouldn't be any lesser value placed on it blah blah blah.

TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:12 pm

I agree completely. But it's something I think I can live with - unlike "One More Day", which I still haven't been able to get past. There's a lot going on with Spidey right now that I like - he's a full fledged Avenger now, for crying out loud. And yet... every time I go to pick up a book with him in it, I can't help thinking about all of the bullshit leading up to this otherwise awesome period in Peter's life.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle on Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:21 pm

I so agree about One More Day. I'd just started reading SpiderMan again and that happened and it was like, well I guess I'll just keep up with him in other team books and not his own. I'm just cranky because Nick Fury has been kicking ass lately and it feels like, well who cares, don't want the movie fans to be confused. What? Eh.

This is just Marvel, you know. Give you something you love (Coulson!) while making you annoyed and confused by something else (new Nick Fury!)
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  vwlphb on Mon May 14, 2012 12:07 am

I've always been a DC/Vertigo girl, but after doing the all day Marvel Movies Marathon leading up to Avengers premiere, I decided I want to give Marvel a shot.

So does anyone have any recommendations for someone whose main exposure has been the Marvel Cinematic Universe?

vwlphb

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhilin on Mon May 14, 2012 9:30 am

Runaways is/was really good (I haven't kept up with it though, so I don't know if it's still going or gotten bad). It's also pretty isolated from the main Marvel universe, save some cameos, so you don't have to worry about backstory that's confusing if you're just starting.

Rhilin

Back to top Go down

Post  Luthien on Mon May 14, 2012 12:28 pm

I'm not a long-time Marvel reader, but I do love the Marvel Adventures books. These are all-ages stories, but they're so good! Specifically for the Avengers, I recommend Avengers: Captain America for Cap, and Thor, The Mighty Avenger for Thor (this two volume series was the best thing I read in comics last year). Both these stories start from the beginning and tell their origin stories and early adventures in an accessible way. I don't know as much about the other Avengers, but they appear in lots of the Marvel Adventures stories and seriously, I cannot praise these books highly enough. There's a completely amazing fight in one of them with Loki, which ends with Captain America tricking him into revealing his evil plan on national television and there's this great line: "Did you just humiliate a deity in front of 300 million potential worshipers?" Yes, yes Steve did.

Marvel is also doing a new series called "Season One" which are books designed to introduce the major teams and characters to new readers. Right now Fantastic Four, X-Men, Spider-Man, and Daredevil are out.

Luthien

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Mon May 14, 2012 12:44 pm

The Season One books are also designed as "soft reboots" - not changing anything major, just updating origins to bring them forward in time relative to the present.

Though I have to give the stink-eye to them drawing Bobby Drake to look like Justin Bieber. Beyond the awfulness of the idea, X-Men Season One would, relative to the present, be set in the late '90s or early Aughts. The horror of Bieber would be well after Bobby's teen years for the time being.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue May 15, 2012 12:05 pm

vwlphb wrote:So does anyone have any recommendations for someone whose main exposure has been the Marvel Cinematic Universe?
This may be a strange suggestion, but 1602 was an amazing series. It's Neil Gaiman's re-imagining of the Marvel Universe set in the Seventeenth Century, and all the major players are there: Fury, Cap, Thor, Natasha, Hulk. (I think Tony may be missing, though.) The series (collected in that link) is a great ride through the Marvel Universe, with witty allusions to real history and literature. Just make sure you only buy the original 1602 series and not the rubbish knock offs and sequels by other creators that Marvel has kept churning out.

(All my other favorite Marvel stories are for the X-Men, not the Avengers.)

Back to top Go down

Post  vwlphb on Wed May 16, 2012 9:57 am

I think I actually read a couple of issues of 1602 when it first came out, because I was in my biggest Neil Gaiman phase. I should give it another chance.

I picked up The first issue of Thor, The Mighty Avenger and I liked it a lot. I'll be sure to check out your other recs too, thanks!

vwlphb

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Thu May 17, 2012 11:42 am

So I've never actually read a book with the Sentry in it, but I've been using him in "Marvel Super Hero Squad Online" lately so I went to read up on him...

What the holy hell? In addition to the superhero Sentry, the guy is also the potentially world-shattering villain "The Void"? Who, in his first rampage, killed over a million people? And the response to this devastation is for Reed Richards to build a machine that make the world forget about the existence of the Sentry because... that keeps the other side of him under wraps? Or something?

I thought Reed and Tony conspiring to make the world forget about Peter Parker unmasking was stupid. But this... how exactly is Reed Richards a good guy, again?
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  oxymoron on Thu May 17, 2012 1:12 pm

vwlphb wrote:I've always been a DC/Vertigo girl, but after doing the all day Marvel Movies Marathon leading up to Avengers premiere, I decided I want to give Marvel a shot.

So does anyone have any recommendations for someone whose main exposure has been the Marvel Cinematic Universe?

Kurt Busiek's run on the Avengers was really good, as was Roger Stern's. The Thunderbolts (the older stuff) was interesting as well. Not sure about now.

oxymoron

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Username on Thu May 17, 2012 9:44 pm

laddical wrote:I thought Reed and Tony conspiring to make the world forget about Peter Parker unmasking was stupid. But this... how exactly is Reed Richards a good guy, again?

I just read Civil War, and it's my first real foray into the Marvel-verse, apart from some Spiderwoman when I was a kid. I thought that the storyline was going to be that Reed and Tony were drugged or something, because they were so quick to acquiesce to the government's demand for registration. As much as I can see their point though about superpowered people needing some sort of regulation, I thought the 42 project was pretty creepy (and a Hitchhiker's reference?).

Bad Username

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf on Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:47 am

So Pepper Potts caught my attention. My initial thought was, that's a new take on camel toe. My second thought, there's an interesting idea for the next Iron Man movie. I wonder if Paltrow would like to join in the suit games.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Username on Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:49 pm

I dug out one of my Gail Simone 'Birds of Prey' trades last night, and was reminded of this panel with Black Canary and Huntress making fun of Batman. I lol'd.

Bad Username

Back to top Go down

Post  Menshevixen on Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:12 am

I miss the old Birds so much! I'm really enjoying the new lineup and creative team (it's one of my favorite DCnU titles), but sometimes my heart cries for Zinda and Helena. Heh, remember when Black Canary kissed Batman and everyone was like SO HOW WAS IT??
Menshevixen

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf on Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:27 am

That pic is just asking for him to turn up. Does he? What issue is that, anyway?

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Username on Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:31 pm

It's the third volume, "Between Dark and Dawn". I don't know which issue, I'll have a look when I get home. I'm, um...."working" right now. Batman doesn't show up, I was expecting to see the cowl shadow in a corner of the panel, but no such luck.

Menshevixen wrote:Heh, remember when Black Canary kissed Batman and everyone was like SO HOW WAS IT??

No! What? Which issue? One thing I love about the Birds is how hard they play after work; they talk, they ogle the male heroes, they go out drinking (attempting to corrupt Hawk in the process). I think Gail Simone really struck a good balance between superheroes who are serious about their work, but who manage to hold onto their humanity and senses of humour.

I don't love the new Birds book, but it's growing on me. I saw Oracle as the anchor of the group, and I guess Black Canary is filling that role now. The new group has maintained what I saw as one of its core functions; that is, it's a chance for redemption for masks who may be less than heroic. It was revealed in World's Finest that Helena Bertinelli is dead, which is really sad, so there's not much chance she's coming back, but I'm hoping she might be in witness protection. I doubt it though.

I never really thought of Gwyneth Paltrow as the action hero type, but who knows, I say stick her in the suit and see.

Bad Username

Back to top Go down

Post  Menshevixen on Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:13 am

Bad Username, I couldn't remember the exact issue, but the Internet tells me it was BoP #90. Amusing scene.

You nailed part of what I love about the Birds. For one thing, they were always EATING. As someone who loves to eat and whose going-out plans usually involve lots of food, I appreciated that the Birds always had take-out and stuff. I hate that Helena is dead now--I prefer to think that she faked her death and is teaching high school somewhere in peace.
Menshevixen

Back to top Go down

Post  Charishawk on Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:36 pm

I second the Runaways recommendation from a few posts back. The early books are great. No offense to Joss Whedon's other works, but once he took over it went downhill - the characters got kind of generically Whedonized, and whoever was doing the art drew the characters so similarly that I literally could not tell one from another half the time. But before that: awesome.

Also, as I mentioned to vwlphb on Twitter, I really like the Civil War crossover. Sure, there's some potential that was unfulfilled in how deep I feel they could have gone with the story and all, but it's one of the best crossovers out there even so, in my opinion; AND it does well at including almost all of the main characters. I love the Spider-man arc, and the Iron Man and Cap stuff of course. I even did a "reading list" on Amazon a while ago to organize all the trades to pick up to get the whole story (OCD! OCD!).

Also, did you guys know that a Civil War prose novel by Stuart Moore just came out? I haven't gotten it yet, but I'm planning to!

I've really enjoyed Matt Fraction's Iron Man run, too. I'm a little behind (on all my comics reading!!) but as of where I left off it was still good.

On another topic, I know we have a "self-promotion" thread, but since I think y'all are the ones who might actually care about this, I'll mention here that I've started writing a weekly column over on the news site ComicMix. They've actually just published my ninth column (woo! compared to the rest of the people who post there that's nothing, but still: woo!) which also features one of my webcomics. Yay? So, you know...check it out? Maybe?

ALSO. I can't say much about it yet, but you guys, I am currently co-writing an original comic with another previously published writer, and we plan to raise money to get it published traditionally (without having to sign over the rights to a big company) via Kickstarter, and I am SUPER EXCITED, and it is going to be AWESOME. ...That is all. Hee.

Charishawk

Back to top Go down

Post  Luthien on Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:48 pm

Civil War prose novel by Stuart Moore

I know this is the comics thread, but does anyone have any recommendations for novels based on comics? I stumbled across two Spider-Man paperbacks at a book sale recently: Carnage in New York and Goblin's Revenge. I enjoyed both, especially the Carnage story. I've seen a novel called The Last Days of Krypton around, but since it's by Kevin J. Anderson I won't touch it with a ten-foot pole. Are there any others out there I should know about?

Luthien

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:53 pm

I enjoyed It's Superman! by Tom de Haven, which puts Superman in roughly the same time period he was originally created in.

But yeah... avoid Last Days.

Last edited by laddical on Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf on Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:13 pm

I've read three novelisations. The Death of Superman (or whatever its official title was) by Roger Stern. I used to enjoy it, but nowdays I can't get past the bucketloads of exposition to get into the story. Batman - Knightfall, I dunno who. I didn't like it, and sold it off second-hand after only one read. Batman - No Man's Land, Greg Rucka I think. The best of the lot. I hear there are more subplots in the comics, but this distills them down to 350 or so pages. Good reading, with some popular characters like Cassandra and Helena. Worth a read.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:16 pm

Luthien wrote:I've seen a novel called The Last Days of Krypton around, but since it's by Kevin J. Anderson I won't touch it with a ten-foot pole.
Ahahaha, he wrote terrible X-Files novels too.
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Luthien on Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:34 am

Is there nothing Anderson can't ruin? It was his terrible Star Wars novels that made me throw up my hands in despair and chuck them out of my house. And while I'm not a Dune fan, I see from reviews on Amazon that his Dune sequels are reviled. I'll have to check out the Death of Superman novel; I see my library system has it. I read some of the comics years ago.

Luthien

Back to top Go down

Post  Menshevixen on Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:41 am

I recommend the No Man's Land novelization by Greg Rucka, which covers that Batman event with a few changes. He also wrote a couple of novels that tie into his Queen and Country series, but aren't direct novelizations.
Menshevixen

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top