The Avengers

Page 5 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Avengers

Post  Cutebutpsycho on Sat May 05, 2012 9:40 pm

From what I've seen of the Iron Man movies, I love Pepper too. She's the master of holding shit down, despite the fact that she's dealing with an overgrown toddler with excessive money and a supersuit.

I think that roles like this make me like Gwynnie, despite the fact that in real life she's hilariously out of touch.
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Sat May 05, 2012 10:28 pm

So who is
Spoiler:
Thanos
?
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Sat May 05, 2012 10:43 pm

Just got back from second time. What happens with Widow and Banner is actually roughly this: Widow tries to calm Banner down and starts to say something like, "I swear ON MY LIFE that we'll...." and then Banner starts to transform and screams at her: "YOUR LIFE?"

So much I still love about it. Tony calls Hawkeye "Legolas". Hee.

Long story short, Bookworm:

Spoiler:
Thanos is an alien from Titan, a moon of Saturn. He's a deformed member of a race called The Eternals that were created by the Celestials to be the protectors of Earth and... yadda yadda yadda, he grew up not quite right in the head; when he was a kid he met a woman who was the incarnation of Death and is trying to conquer the universe to win her love. Which is the ominous portent in the line The Other says just before Thanos' reveal: "To challenge the humans... is to court death."

RiverThames, I hadn't noticed exactly what Hawkeye was doing with his bow and quiver the first time through. That was spectacularly awesome. Though I have to think he should have run empty a lot earlier than he did.

Miss Moneypenny, I love Pepper, too. At least as played by GOOP. I'm honestly not a fan of Iron Man in the comics (the whole Marvel universe in general - excepting Spider-Man before "One More Day"), so I don't know what she's like in the comics.

Which serves to remind me: Hollywood is a notoriously uncreative town. How is it that we are four years on from the launch of the Marvel Cinematic Universe and Warner Bros. isn't even seriously talking about doing a Justice League project like this? Green Lantern and Man of Steel should have been the opening salvos.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Agent Sculder on Sat May 05, 2012 11:50 pm

Just got back from seeing it, and boy was that movie a lot of fun! I'm impressed at how well Joss was able to keep it an ensemble film. I really enjoyed the characters of Hawkeye and Black Widow and I hope at some point we get a film that focuses on the two of them. Although I also like Iron Man and Thor, my favorite Avenger has to be Cap. He's just so damned decent.

The action sequences were great, but I really thought the best part of the film was how funny it was. The only bad thing: right behind me was a kid who wasn't always able to understand everything that was going on (she sounded pretty young) so her mom would explain things from time to time. Honestly though, I had a great time, and I definitly want to see it again!

Agent Sculder

Back to top Go down

Post  bbridges on Sat May 05, 2012 11:52 pm

I had been so convinced for so long
Spoiler:
that Joss was going to kill Coulson that I had convinced myself he wasn't going to kill him anymore. Of course I was wrong.

I loved the movie though. The first time that the Hulk really worked for me on film. I think the Mo-Cap probably helped a lot, because it made The Hulk seem more real. And Ruffalo is great. I also liked that the film managed to have it make sense that all of these people were on the same team. Ground level threats and flying threats that everyone on the team was facing.

Steve's glee at
Spoiler:
understanding the Flying Monkeys reference was great.

There was also a super adorable child in his Captain America Halloween costume in my screening. It was the best.

Can we start petitioning for some kind of SHEILD movie? With Black Widow and Hawkeye and super badass Maria Hill?
bbridges

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Sun May 06, 2012 12:03 am

Seriously; I can't believe Marvel hasn't announced Agents of SHIELD or something. I want it to be a prequel - Hawkeye, Widow and Coulson, tearing it up in Budapest ("Just like that time in Budapest." "You and I remember Budapest very differently."). With maybe some Maria Hill to actually give Cobie Smulders something to do.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  sagitare on Sun May 06, 2012 12:57 am

Echoing everyone that it was a seriously awesome movie. It's strength was the quality and consistence of Joss's writing, that he obviously had a very clear and specific vision for how each person's stories would be told individually and also how those stories would come together. Without that it would have been just a total mess of a movie. I came away feeling that I learned a lot about each character, especially Black Widow. I really liked how she came alive as a much more fully rounded person with more depth than I had seen before.

Not only did I love how genuinely witty and funny it was, but how well that humour was integrated into the movie. Even
Spoiler:
Thor's "He's adopted"
didn't seem out of place. Nothing took me out of the flow of the story. While there are many candidates for best line, the one that got the biggest laugh in our theatre was
Spoiler:
Tony's "Clench it, Legoloas" to Hawkeye as he flew him up to the top of a building.
And as for
Spoiler:
Coulson's death...yeah, Joss being Joss I should have seen that coming, too. Honest to god, the theatre went *dead silent* when that happened. You could have heard a pin drop. But you know, even knowing Joss's predilection for doing this, I'm not entirely convinced that this is the last we'll see of Coulson. I mean, this is COULSON we're talking about! I think if any character can somehow rise from the ashes of Joss Whedon's pen it's him!
Mark Ruffalo was terrific. Some of my favourite scenes were Banner and Stark on the ship, just two genius scientist geeks hashing out a problem. I liked how the genuine admiration between the two of them was so apparent.

(Also? Chris Evans has pretty, pretty eyelashes.)

Oh! And
Spoiler:
the scene in the shawarma shop at the very end? Just SLAYED me. The people who were left in the theatre totally lost it. It was such a Joss touch and only something he could have gotten away with, I think!
I would absolutely see this again. Just a massively smart, entertaining movie.
sagitare

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky on Sun May 06, 2012 1:12 am

I really enjoyed it!

I wished for 5 minutes more of witticisms and 5 minutes less of Destruction of Manhattan, but I enjoyed it.

Everyone's talking about
Spoiler:
Coulson. He's not dead, people. He's NOT. Fury as much as said so when Robin from HIMYM pointed out the cards wouldn't have been soaked in blood. And they never showed us his body OR the medic calling him dead. Also, was Coulson in a happy relationship? No. Therefore he's not dead. Joss only kills people when they are in happy relationships, guys. That's why I thought he was going to kill Pepper.

I really want a movie about Jeremy Renner and Black Widow. A friend of mine told me one was filmed and scrapped?

Loved the Hulk way more than I expected. Mark Ruffalo did a great job and
Spoiler:
Hulk thrashing Loki, Hulk side-punching Thor, Hulk SMASH
all made me howl.

In conclusion, I want the sequel like right now.
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Sun May 06, 2012 1:22 am

I totally need to go again. But I'll gladly go for a non-3D matinee and save money.
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Putli Bai on Sun May 06, 2012 1:30 am

Finally saw it today, and agree with every single positive comment in this thread. If I had been in charge of the car keys, we would have seen it again immediately. And maybe a third time. I don't know what was funnier,
Spoiler:
Tony Stark calling Thor "Point Break," or Hawkeye "Legolas."

I poked around on IMDB a bit, and discovered that LOU FERRIGNO did the voice work for the Hulk, which makes me love Joss Whedon just a little bit more.
Putli Bai

Back to top Go down

Post  MtOlivePickles on Sun May 06, 2012 1:35 am

I think everyone's hit the points I was going to make (including the remark about Chris Evans and his eyelashes, good Lord), but I have to say one of the best/worst parts for me was
Spoiler:
right after Coulson dies, there was dead silence in the theater, then this audible gasp and some dude shouting, "That's some bullshit!" Helped alleviate some of the tension.

MtOlivePickles

Back to top Go down

Post  sagitare on Sun May 06, 2012 4:14 am

binky I agree with you regarding
Spoiler:
the death of Coulson.
I definitely think there was room there for a bit of a side-eye in regards to the whole thing, and this isn't just me desperately wishful-thinking it (well, maybe just a little bit, heh.)
sagitare

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Sun May 06, 2012 5:50 am

Two completely shallow observations:

I liked the shot of Widow from behind when she went to interrogate Loki.

And I appreciate that they left Thor's arms uncovered until Shit Went Down at the end.

And a slightly less shallow one, but only just:

I remember thinking in early images from this movie that Widow looked really weird with short hair. But then when I re-watched Iron Man 2 this week, I thought she looked really weird with long hair. But... it's red, so I can't complain either way, really.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa on Sun May 06, 2012 12:38 pm

Will break the opening weekend record held by Potter, it's just a question of by how much. They're predicting $200 million. I'm agog.
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  Agent Sculder on Sun May 06, 2012 1:23 pm

swsa wrote:Will break the opening weekend record held by Potter, it's just a question of by how much. They're predicting $200 million. I'm agog.

Damn. But judging by the reaction to the trailer for The Dark Knight Rises in my theater, I'm not sure how long that record will stand. That said, I am thrilled for Joss. After having so many BAD experiences with feature films, I'm glad he's got a solid hit on his hands.

Another one of my favorite lines was Thor's "You're so tiny!" The delivery, plus the fact it's absolutely TRUE just SLAYED me. I have to say, I totally dig the lord of Asgard's sense of humor.

Agent Sculder

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Sun May 06, 2012 2:07 pm

DKR won't have the the 3-D factor boosting its numbers up.
RiverThames

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Sun May 06, 2012 2:11 pm

Also - and maybe this is just me projecting - I just don't feel like there's nearly as much anticipation for it. Had it come out last year, or two years ago, I think it would absolutely be THE movie to beat. But I don't know... I think four years is just too damn long for a sequel to something as huge as The Dark Knight. I'm feeling the same way about Star Trek - the easily had fan-based momentum is gone. There's an anticipation fatigue that's set in - we were so excited for it for so long that we've run out of steam.

And plain and simply - as good as it might be, we can already see that TDKR isn't going to be in the same ballpark of "fun" as The Avengers.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa on Sun May 06, 2012 2:19 pm

Yeah, and I do think a huge reason for TDK's crazy success was the Joker and the brilliant marketing surrounding him. Bane and Catwoman can't really compare. I also don't see a lot of families taking their 7-8 year olds to see TDKR, which judging by my showing, is a big part of The Avengers' box office.

I'm terrible at predicting this stuff though. I really didn't think this film would have this kind of draw.
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Sun May 06, 2012 2:40 pm

So I noticed a credit in the movie that read, "Special make-up effects for The Other and Man #1...", and I could not figure out what they meant by that. Man #1? Special make-up effects for an extra? When did that happen?

Spoiler:
Apparently, Man #1 is how they credit Damion Poitier, who "plays" Thanos. I wonder if that's the casting they want to go with. It's hard to say - some news sites are reporting on the Thanos spoiler as if the casting on the character is firm, but I'm not sure a two second glimpse of a heavily made-up face is going to enough to lock Marvel into the casting if they feel like they need a more established actor in the role.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Sun May 06, 2012 2:44 pm

Yeah. Much of his resume has "uncredited" or is a character with a number (i.e. Thug #2, Ranger #4). Even his Joss-based previous credits are essentially glorified extras.

Funny about
Spoiler:
Thanos: Entertainment Weekly more or less called it a year ago based on the Thor easter egg.

And don't get me wrong, I think DKR will do VERY VERY well. But the 3-D $3 price push probably was a big help in Avengers shattering the record.
RiverThames

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Sun May 06, 2012 2:52 pm

You know, I don't think I ever noticed that particular item in Thor - I was too busy thinking about the Tesseract/Cosmic Cube.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Sun May 06, 2012 3:10 pm

But a lot of that Potter box office total was helped by the fact that the films (the last few anyway) opened on a Wednesday rather than the traditional Friday, which was never really mentioned by a lot of the Potter Breaks All Records Since Time Began type reports.

I'm actually very excited for The Dark Knight Rises and for Star Trek 2 as well. My excitement has no statute of limitations! I'm almost pavlovian trained to get gleeful at the mention of their names!!

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Sun May 06, 2012 3:13 pm

laddical wrote:You know, I don't think I ever noticed that particular item in Thor - I was too busy thinking about the Tesseract/Cosmic Cube.

It is quite literally blink-and-you'll-miss-it. It's in a darkened recess of Odin's Vault, and the blast from the Eradicator briefly illuminated the area up enough to see it.
RiverThames

Back to top Go down

Post  Snarryfan on Sun May 06, 2012 4:07 pm

I LOVED this movie! I drove around to find a Redbox that had Thor because um...Tom Hiddleston is a very pretty man. And he made a very good villian.

I will show myself out.

Snarryfan

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear on Sun May 06, 2012 4:56 pm

Haha, we did the same thing Friday night, SnarryFan, but no luck because apparently eveyone else in town had the same idea. We managed to find it at our out-of-the-way Family Video. (Thor was AMAZEBALLS, btw. Loki was so delightfully evil, and I was blown away by how handsome Chris Hemsworth is, like, couldn't even concentrate on the plot for stretches at a time.)

Anyway.

I effing loved this movie. I don't really have much to say that hasn't been said already, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I loved Mark Ruffalo, I loved Chris Evans, I snorted really loudly when Iron Man called Hawkeye "Legolas", and I really want to see the grand, stabby love story of Hawkeye and Black Widow. As soon as the movie was over, I wanted to stay in the theater and watch it all again.
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top