The Avengers

Page 6 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Avengers

Post  epudom on Sun May 06, 2012 7:13 pm

Just back from my 2nd viewing, and it was probably slightly more enjoyable, as I could concentrate on the characters and dialogue more, instead of following the plot.

On the way home I was trying to sum up my favourite moments, and I think I've got it down to this list.

Son of Coul on hold while Black Widow is kicking Russian ass.
Son of Coul being such a fanboy of Cap.
Cap's excitement at getting the flying monkey reference.
Black Widow outsmarting Loki.
All of Tony's obnoxious nicknames (Loki - Reindeer Games & Rock of Ages/Thor - Point Break/Hawkeye - Legolas - have I forgotten some?)
The pilot who drew the short straw and had to get Hulk's attention.
Everything Hulk did in NY.
epudom

Back to top Go down

Post  Snarryfan on Sun May 06, 2012 8:33 pm

I loved Loki's "performance issue" when trying to put the whammy on Tony.
Hulk grabbing the ejecting pilot and then tossing him.
Loki's entire speech to Black Widow was amazing.
Jeremy Renner is dreamy. (Not a scene, just a comment)

Snarryfan

Back to top Go down

Post  Agent Sculder on Sun May 06, 2012 9:27 pm

Unlucky Bear wrote: Thor was AMAZEBALLS, btw. Loki was so delightfully evil, and I was blown away by how handsome Chris Hemsworth is, like, couldn't even concentrate on the plot for stretches at a time.

Right there with you. I can't even tell you what the hell was going on in the scene where he was shirtless. My brain just shut down. Come to think of it, I think I had a similar reaction to Chris Evans too. I am terrible, shallow, shallow person.

Another cute thing, I loved seeing how excited people were for the movie. There was a kid in an Iron Man costume, and I saw quite a few people with Cap's shield on their shirts.

Agent Sculder

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Sun May 06, 2012 10:01 pm

Thoughts from a third viewing:

GOOP is really rocking those short short jean cut-offs (Daisy Dukes for us oldtimers). Pepper really might be her best role ever.

The tracking shot that begins with Widow jumping onto one of the Chitauri skiffs then follows Iron Man up the side of a building and concludes with a 360 sweep around Hawkeye is just mindblowing.

The scene where Cap is fighting the three Chitauri in the bank, I love how he jumps and curls up in a ball behind his shield as the grenade goes off.

In fact, watching Cap in motion at any time was a thing of beauty - particularly when he jumped off the bridge onto the bus, down to a car that was flipping over from an explosion then spring boarded off of that into a tuck and roll and came up running. THAT'S COMICS, MOTHERFUCKERS!!!!!!!!!

And the moment where Iron Man ricochets his beams off Cap's shield. And the slo-mo shot of Thor and Cap standing back to back catching their respective "boomerangs". So perfectly right.

My 8-year old loved it, and she hasn't seen any of the lead-in movies yet. She's absorbed enough comixology from just being around me, though, that she knew everyone by sight. Except
Spoiler:
Thanos
, whom she didn't recognize but was very interested in.

The destruction of the Joint Dark Energy Mission at the beginning was very Joss - right down to a vanload of people outracing a sinkhole. Guess they shouldn't have built the JDEM on top of a Hellmouth.

And finally, the Helicarrier takeoff is breathtaking. It's one of those moments where I still can't believe I'm seeing something so *out there* without someone trying to rein in the craziness and make it more "believable".

Last edited by laddical on Sun May 06, 2012 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa on Sun May 06, 2012 10:42 pm

One other thing I thought of was how much I love that during the final battle
Spoiler:
Tony is the ONLY one who believes that Bruce will show up to help. He just has complete faith. And it makes Hulk's saving him later on that much better. I really love how they were able to build the friendship between those two without having a ton of screentime to do it. I had an awww moment when they drove off together at the end.

And on a more shallow note, Scarlett Johannson is really gorgeous in HD. And as a straight female, even I was mesmerized by her ass during the Loki interrogation scene.
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Sun May 06, 2012 10:48 pm

AND.... AND!!!!!!

Speaking of body parts that come through loud and clear in this movie...

In the last scene of the fight where Tony's lying flat on his back... when you're in the second row, RDJ's nostrils are like the abyss Nietzsche wrote of. Scary stuff.

Also: Steve says "Son of a gun." Hee. So square.

Last edited by laddical on Mon May 07, 2012 1:07 am; edited 1 time in total
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  rivki8699 on Sun May 06, 2012 11:23 pm

I saw this today with one of my best friends, and we both just freaking adored it. I just couldn't have been happier.

Spoiler:
I adored all the Black Widow stuff - the fact that she's introduced in a reverse interrogation scene, and then uses that again on Loki was pretty brilliant.

Ruffalo was great as Bruce Banner, and I loved how he just geekily clicked with Stark. And when he just goes to town on Loki - the entire audience burst into applause. That was so awesome.

I adored how Captain America was giddily excited about catching a pop culture reference.

And, you know, all the banter. It was so very Joss - down to the omnipresent daddy issues. So wonderful.
rivki8699

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Sun May 06, 2012 11:30 pm

Got back from seeing this a few hours ago and really enjoyed it. For me, Downey really stole the show every time he was onscreen. I haven't seen any of the other movies with these characters, so now I really want to go back and watch Iron Man. I know Hulk got a lot more enthusiasm (at least judging by what people said to me on Twitter), but I was down for Downey. (I felt bad for all the superheroes in this movie that didn't have any shield or armor or invulnerability. All that stuff blowing up, burning, flying at them, and nothing but luck on their side!)

One weird thing I noticed in the beginning that really started to bother me as the movie went on...whenever the craft the heroes are in takes off, shifts sideways, and so on, nobody inside seems to feel the accelerations. Like, try standing still without holding onto anything when even a BUS starts moving. Unless you've braced yourself, you'll be tossed all over. I normally give superhero movies a pass on this basic physics stuff, but it all looked just enough off for me to find it really jarring (no pun intended) after a while. I guess my criterion for when movie physics needs to be taken into account is "when things appear wrong to my eyes, without needing to pass through my brain."

swsa wrote:And on a more shallow note, Scarlett Johannson is really gorgeous in HD. And as a straight female, even I was mesmerized by her ass during the Loki interrogation scene.
She really is. I kind of couldn't take my eyes off her for the whole movie. I know it's male gaze and all that, but I'm male and my gaze was happy to be catered to.

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  FiggyPudding on Mon May 07, 2012 3:33 am

So much fun. Everything was well integrated, the humor, each character's contribution, and they managed to do it with some heart. Plus, the second after credits scene was hands down the best one I've ever seen (in terms of satisfaction level and appropriateness).

FiggyPudding

Back to top Go down

Post  dionneshea on Mon May 07, 2012 12:55 pm

Argh! I purposefully didn't come in here until after I'd seen it, and thus totally didn't know about the after-credits scene. (The second one - the first one just kind of confused me.) Dang it.

I LOVED it. I was going to see it, regardless (they had me at 'Mark Ruffalo'), but I'm so glad it was such a fun time. The biggest laugh from our audience was a tie between Hulk just beating the snot out of Loki, and Tony poking Bruce with the stick. That was hilarious.

I know next to nothing about Marvel comics so this was all new to me, but I didn't feel like I was lacking anything by not knowing anything which was what I was worried about. I'm sure I missed some in-jokes and what have you, but all-in-all I'm happy with what I got. The aforementioned Mark Ruffalo was fantastic, as was RDJ and whichever Chris is Captain America. The fight scenes were great, the action was fun, and there were hardly any lagging places. But the interpersonal relationships were where it was at. Tony/Bruce, Natasha/Barton, Thor/Loki, Tony/Steve - all fantastic stuff. Yay! Can't wait for the next five films.
dionneshea

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Mon May 07, 2012 1:02 pm

I was taking a drink of water when Tony poked Bruce with the stick. I nearly did a spit take, it was so unexpected, completely hilarious and fully in character.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  jensa on Mon May 07, 2012 1:39 pm

Saw it again yesterday and have nothing constructive to add except for Wow, did you see Chris Evan's shoulders when he was working that punching bag? Dear god.

Quick question: did anyone see it in IMAX? Was it worth it?
jensa

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Mon May 07, 2012 1:49 pm

did you see Chris Evan's shoulders when he was working that punching bag? Dear god.

I KNOW! I don't know what the normal turn-of-phrase for the masculine version of an "hourglass" figure might be - inverted triangle figure? But whatever it is, CE was seriously rocking it.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  epudom on Mon May 07, 2012 2:37 pm

jensa wrote:Saw it again yesterday and have nothing constructive to add except for Wow, did you see Chris Evan's shoulders when he was working that punching bag? Dear god.

Dude, did you see his butt in that scene? I've seen many men wearing sweatpants in my lifetime, but none that looked as good as that.
epudom

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Mon May 07, 2012 2:39 pm

I thought he was wearing khakis. Just checked, and they're sweats. Khaki colored sweats? That seems... weird. But maybe appropriate for a time-lost guy like Steve?
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho on Mon May 07, 2012 2:58 pm

Every time I see that ass from the trailer, I keep muttering Miss New Booty under my breath.

I'm shallow like a kiddie pool.
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy on Mon May 07, 2012 3:02 pm

epudom wrote:
jensa wrote:Saw it again yesterday and have nothing constructive to add except for Wow, did you see Chris Evan's shoulders when he was working that punching bag? Dear god.

Dude, did you see his butt in that scene? I've seen many men wearing sweatpants in my lifetime, but none that looked as good as that.

Yeah, I was paying too much attention to his ass to notice his shoulders. I may need to see the movie again, so I can take in more.

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Mon May 07, 2012 3:21 pm

This discussion is making me feel better for checking out Scarlett. :)

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Mon May 07, 2012 3:27 pm

It's not like you were just going on and on and being creepy. No one should ever feel bad for acknowledging beauty. And there was certainly a lot of it for any taste in this movie.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Fiammetta on Mon May 07, 2012 3:34 pm

I saw the movie twice, and both times I'm pretty sure I held my breath during that punching bag scene. Meanwhile, Hemsworth's triceps looked amazing during that scene on the Helicarrier when he's being informed of Jane Foster's whereabouts. The various personal trainers definitely deserve some props.

The second viewing made me like the Black Widow a little better, especially as I started to see how her character was used to help bind the group more tightly. My favorite moments were when she was just that little bit afraid (especially of the Hulk), but hardheaded enough to do what needed to be done. At times I think Scarlett Johansson's delivery is a touch flat, but it suits Whedon's one liners just fine.

Fiammetta

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell on Mon May 07, 2012 3:46 pm

I feel like such a leering old perv for writing this, but I was soooooooo grateful for the 3D in that scene.
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Mon May 07, 2012 3:49 pm

"How is that a party?"

I think Widow might actually be my favorite character in the context of having the whole team together.

And it's NOT just because she's a well-proportioned redhead in a skintight suit.

NO! It's because she's the one who has the farthest to go and she does it. When it comes to being a spy, no one can match her, but in this group she's outclassed by almost everyone on some level. Even Hawkeye is almost supernatural with his archery. She's surrounded by gods and magic and superscience craziness and it's understandable that she's scared by it. But she's the epitome of that old adage that bravery isn't about not being afraid, it's about being afraid and doing what you need to do anyway. The moment when she goes to bounce off Cap's shield she has this little, "Why the hell am I here?" look on her face. And then she goes and does something completely badass.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Mon May 07, 2012 5:39 pm

Hawkeye and Black Widow may be my new otp.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny on Mon May 07, 2012 5:46 pm

Kiran wrote:Hawkeye and Black Widow may be my new otp.

They have been my OTP since I saw the first set pictures, which I thought made me completely insane, but since I was TOTALLY RIGHT, I will now brand myself clairvoyant.
Miss Moneypenny

http://daisyrazor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle on Mon May 07, 2012 5:48 pm

punzy wrote:
epudom wrote:

Yeah, I was paying too much attention to his ass to notice his shoulders. I may need to see the movie again, so I can take in more.

Luckily I found a .gif of it on ONTD and I had to make a tumblr entry dedicated to it.
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top