The Avengers

Page 8 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Avengers

Post  Kiran on Tue May 08, 2012 4:01 pm

Jessica Chastain is so ubiquoutous now that I think she'll be more like Emily Blunt or Anette Bening in that its a foot note of what if in her career rather then a hinderance.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny on Tue May 08, 2012 4:28 pm

Skyblade wrote:
RiverThames wrote:

Apparently Jessica Chastain is cast in IM3, but no word on who she's playing yet. Just saying.

I think she passed due to scheduling conflicts. So if it is Danvers, she can join Dougray Scott and Staurt Townsend in the "most famous for who they didn't play" club.

The casting note I saw said "sexy scientist," so probably not Carol. I don't think Ms. Marvel has anything to do with the storyline they're (probably) pulling from for IM3, either.
Miss Moneypenny

http://daisyrazor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Menshevixen on Tue May 08, 2012 4:33 pm

Rumors are that IM3 was supposed to be based around
Spoiler:
the "Extremis" storyline
(should that be in spoilers? I don't know). The thing I read about Chastain said she would have been playing a former lady friend of Tony's.
Menshevixen

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Tue May 08, 2012 5:00 pm

Menshevixen wrote:Unless that furry in a bikini is...SQUIRREL GIRL.

Yeah, that'd be fun, but it'd be so unfair to
Spoiler:
Thanos
. She is - occasionally - the most powerful being in the Marvel Universe.

Though I think it'd be nice if, as I've heard, they plan to rotate the cast around a little and not necessarily bring all six back, if maybe they brought in Luke Cage and Jessica Jones with their rugrat in tow, which would mean we could have Squirrel Girl as the au pair.

Menshevixen, that tidbit is included in nearly every press release about IM3 at this point, so I don't think I'd consider it something we need to tag. Yeah, there might be one or two spoilerphobes out there who don't want to know even that much, but there has to be some kind of cutoff, or else we'd never be able to talk about
Spoiler:
Soylent Green is people
without tags.

Though honestly, I'm having so much fun tagging
Spoiler:
Thanos
that I may never stop doing it.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  curryalley on Tue May 08, 2012 5:12 pm

I literally just read the pst 13 pages of this thread and all you excitement makes me want to go see the movie again. I think my favorite things that haven't been mentioned already are: just how awesome it is to see Black Widow have stuff to do - by far the most developed role of any comic book movie I've seen; and how real the stakes felt during the battle. I read a quote where Joss explains that he decided to put them in a war and it pays off. Movies struggle with how to present a challenge big enough for a super hero to solve with the result of ever bigger and sillier villians. This felt appropriate is scale to the team and better, it felt as if they outmatched. It felt like they could lose. I loved that.

One minor nitpick thing that is simply my own personal question:
Spoiler:
Why not have Thor power the suit with lightning before Iron Man flew the bomb through the portal? I know they needed a way to explain why the suit didn't short out during Iron Man's fight with Thor but since it ran at 400% I kept waiting for a pay off where that turns out to be important and then it didn't happen.

curryalley

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Tue May 08, 2012 5:41 pm

On curryalley's spoilered question:

Spoiler:
I don't think Thor was aware that Tony was low on power. I don't think he was sharing that information.
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  curryalley on Tue May 08, 2012 5:56 pm

RiverThames wrote:On curryalley's spoilered question:

Spoiler:
I don't think Thor was aware that Tony was low on power. I don't think he was sharing that information.

Spoiler:
Tony could have asked.

curryalley

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Tue May 08, 2012 5:59 pm

There wasn't exactly a surfeit of time. As it is
Spoiler:
Tony barely got to the missile in time to keep it from impacting Stark Tower. I have no idea what kind of insulation is built into your standard nuclear missile, but I'm sure I wouldn't want to risk a Thor-size lightning strike in the vicinity of one.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny on Tue May 08, 2012 6:01 pm

curryalley wrote:
RiverThames wrote:On curryalley's spoilered question:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Tony could have asked.

Plus, this is a guy who spent nearly an entire movie dying rather than ask for help.
Miss Moneypenny

Back to top Go down

Post  curryalley on Tue May 08, 2012 6:10 pm

I was wondering about though,
Spoiler:
not from a character perspective (though why didn't Tony ask, was there no time?) but just pointing out that the suit power up stood out as moment where I went, "Aha! This shall be important later." And then it wasn't.

curryalley

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky on Tue May 08, 2012 6:27 pm

curryalley wrote:I was wondering about though,
Spoiler:
not from a character perspective (though why didn't Tony ask, was there no time?) but just pointing out that the suit power up stood out as moment where I went, "Aha! This shall be important later." And then it wasn't.

I thought they were trying to establish
Spoiler:
that Iron Man and Thor were surprisingly evenly matched, despite one being a God that throws lightening.
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny on Tue May 08, 2012 7:35 pm

curryalley wrote:I was wondering about though,
Spoiler:

Yeah, I wonder if it at least had a callback in the final battle that got cut for time. I guess we'll see in the extras.
Miss Moneypenny

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Wed May 09, 2012 1:06 am

I guess Agent Galaga is becoming a meme around the nets? I saw a lot of references to him on tumblr today, and a few gifs of him flipping his screen back to the game, so I'm not really sure if this is something with traction or not. But it amuses me. I'm wondering how that came together - was the Galaga thing worked out in advance with Namco-Bandai? Possible. But it's equally possible that RDJ came up with it right then and there and Joss and Feige went back and worked it out and then shot the guy's flip back as filler.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa on Wed May 09, 2012 11:38 am

Yeah, I could see the Galaga gag being either Joss or RDJ. I did love the one interview where RDJ talked about how whenever he wouldn't care for a line and would tell Joss, Joss would come back with 3 pages of different options. "Oh, so this is how it works. I just pick something off the menu." Heee.
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  Wildog27 on Wed May 09, 2012 11:53 am

Wildog27

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Wed May 09, 2012 12:59 pm

RiverThames

Back to top Go down

Post  dionneshea on Wed May 09, 2012 1:31 pm

I read that yesterday and LOVE it. It's everything I love about their relationship, but couldn't put into words. Also, in 2 of those 4 gifs, I love that it looks like Mark Ruffalo is trying not to laugh.
dionneshea

Back to top Go down

Post  curryalley on Wed May 09, 2012 1:52 pm

I saw it again yesterday. I actually liked it better the second time around; not only could I enjoy the script more but I was less impatient. The first time I was so overanxious in the beginning, I was nearly bored because WHY WEREN'T THEY AVENGING ALREADY. Now I could appreciate the way the pieces fit together.

One thing I appreciated: how vulnerable everyone is. Everyone bleeds, even the demigod and Tony inside his suit. They are people and they can break.

Part of me is still boggled that Joss Whedon is behing this. Joss Whedon, whose only film was Serenity which tanked (despite being awesome). Who can't keep a show on the air. Who no one had ever heard of until you heard of him, usually about the same time whatever he was working on got cancelled. Joss Whedon. Now making movies with Robert Downey Jr, the biggest movie in the world. Boggled. Oh and if I didn't love him before, I will love him forever now because of this:

(Kind of a gay pride/Newsies vibe: sentence accomplished!)

ANd that Tony/Brice post was excellent.

curryalley

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Thu May 10, 2012 12:11 am

laddical wrote:I guess Agent Galaga is becoming a meme around the nets? I saw a lot of references to him on tumblr today, and a few gifs of him flipping his screen back to the game, so I'm not really sure if this is something with traction or not. But it amuses me. I'm wondering how that came together - was the Galaga thing worked out in advance with Namco-Bandai? Possible. But it's equally possible that RDJ came up with it right then and there and Joss and Feige went back and worked it out and then shot the guy's flip back as filler.

Speaking of memes on the net, I've been seeing the Crazy Theory of
Spoiler:
bringing back Coulson as Vision
get a LOT of traction out there. Like, it keeps getting suggested. Especially on io9.
RiverThames

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf on Thu May 10, 2012 6:06 am

Well, this is interesting.
Spoiler:
Joss blames Feige for Coulson.

I suppose you can't get away with blaming the boss unless it's actually his decision.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  Skyblade on Thu May 10, 2012 9:46 am

Spoiler:
I definitely knew he was a dead man walking when he came out with the others at at Comic Con. I was like "Oh boy, they are building him up for something." And you know what? They were right. It's not Cormac McCarthy, but for a movie this huge, you needed something to give it that weight, and frankly, this is typical hero's journey stuff. Happens with Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, etc. Even a great deal of Marvel's other movies. Man, what it must be to be Clark Gregg right now. Four years ago, he gets a phone call to be some guy in Iron Man. Just some guy. Not even in the comics. Now he's in one of the hugest movies of all time, and he's so beloved people refuse to believe he's dead.

I'm not sure I want him as Vision, though. The point of the Vision is that he feels so estranged from those around him, his isolation being kind of a self-imposed neurosis. Coulson-Vision would just be like "Oh, so I can do that now." And then villainy would be fucked.

Skyblade

Back to top Go down

Post  rivki8699 on Thu May 10, 2012 4:03 pm

Shoot.
Spoiler:
Now I actually think Coulson's dead. My reasoning for him not being dead was largely based on the fact that no matter how very Joss his death felt, Joss wasn't in control over the universe, and the guys in charge had brought Coulson into the comics and stuff, so he couldn't be permanently dead. But if the plan was from the masters of the Marvelverse, well, he may in fact stay dead.

In non-spoilery talk, can I just say how much I hate Loki? (Apparently this is an unpopular opinion?) He's just such adolecent, self-righteous asshole. All his stupid monologues just made me want to smack him. So, props to Hiddleston I guess, for making him so very hateable.
rivki8699

Back to top Go down

Post  MtOlivePickles on Fri May 11, 2012 1:09 am

In non-spoilery talk, can I just say how much I hate Loki? (Apparently this is an unpopular opinion?)

Oh Lord, it is. Well, in certain circles. I don't have much love for Loki, but find him kind of interesting character-wise. I was seriously boggled by people who came out of Thor practically swimfanning for him, though. He was pretty insufferable near the end, so
Spoiler:
when Hulk beat the snot out of him, I kind of have to say that it was pretty well-deserved.

MtOlivePickles

Back to top Go down

Post  curryalley on Fri May 11, 2012 1:15 am

I hate him too. Mostly because in Thor
Spoiler:
he decided the best way to gain Odin's approval was by destroying the Odenheim? Really? All Odin ever did was blather about peace and he exiled Thor for breaking that peace. Just what did you think this was going to gain you, Loki? Be smart. Your plan sucks.

curryalley

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Fri May 11, 2012 1:21 am

I think by the time he decided to destroy Jotunheim he was beyond desiring Odin's approval and just wanted any power he could get for himself.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top