The Avengers

Page 2 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Avengers

Post  Charishawk on Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:51 am

swsa wrote:I'd sort of cooled off on this recently, but seeing the trailer before THG has me completely psyched for it again. The shot of Hulk catching Iron Man mid-air was what really got me.

I loved that bit! Also the exchange between Tony and Loki in the Superbowl commercial.

I'm avoiding spoilers as much as I can, personally. I suspect it's going to be good, and want to go in without knowing the whole plot in advance.

Charishawk

Back to top Go down

Post  Wildog27 on Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:59 am

What I'm really curious to see is how they're going to handle the Hulk, whether he's going to be a mindless creature or if Banner will have some control over the creature. The latter seems likely with the scene that you guys are referring to with him catching Iron Man in the air.

Wildog27

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat on Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:09 pm

Most of you have probably seen this already, but:

Everyday objects as seen by Tony Stark, Loki, and Coulson.

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:44 pm

but seeing the trailer before THG has me completely psyched for it again.

Whereas the mechanoid Mayor Snake kind of made me say, SRSLY Loki (Joss), a SLED? I mean I still wanna see it, but that particular stinger made me giggle. Also I think RDJ and awesome Hulk aside, I might be rooting for Loki.

blixie
Mod Squad

http://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy on Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:07 pm

Coneycat wrote:Most of you have probably seen this already, but:

Everyday objects as seen by Tony Stark, Loki, and Coulson.

I've seen it before, but I love it so much. Agent Coulson is the best.

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:04 pm

The two short features they've done on him for the Thor and Captain America DVDs are just the most awesome things ever.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Luthien on Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:09 pm

Does anyone have a link to those Coulson shorts? My DVDs are bare-bones and I can't locate them on them, so I suspect they must be on just the blu-rays or special editions. The Coulson character has just the right touch: he could come off as some shady government douchebag harshing the heroes' good time, but instead he's pure awesome and he has the best smile.

Luthien

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny on Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:30 pm

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor's Hammer And I've never seen the other one, so I'd also appreciate a link!
Miss Moneypenny

http://daisyrazor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:43 pm

The Consultant

That one is based largely around The Incredible Hulk, so spoiler warning for that movie.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Luthien on Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:41 pm

"A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor's Hammer" is so awesome I want to hug it and squeeze it and call it George. Thank you so much! "The Consultant" was good too; I love the look on the other agent's face when he realizes that Coulson has such a high clearance level he hasn't even heard of it.

Luthien

Back to top Go down

Post  Wildog27 on Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:09 am

I'm watching back through the Avengers' character movies, and while it's getting me more excited about the movie, it's also making me realize how... perfunctory some of the movies seem. Iron Man is still the best of them from my perspective, mostly because it has a great sense of fun (and lack of expectation) about it that none of the others really got to. Iron Man 2 missed a lot of that and still seems like a mess, plot-wise while slipping into fan service with War Machine and trying a bit too hard to set up for The Avengers. Thor has some nice moments in it. I really like Hemsworth as Thor, and I think Hiddleston as Loki gives a lot of promise for this summer. I love Branagh's direction and I think he does a strong job on the film, so maybe I like this one more than I thought I did. I haven't rewatched Captain America yet, but I also remember liking that one better than Thor last year.

I'm still very much looking forward to The Avengers and I'm still a little amazed that we're actually getting a superhero movie of the caliber that it seems like we're going to get.

Wildog27

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:08 pm

Joss Whedon is asked, "Who would win in a fight, Buffy or Black Widow?" and gives full-on fanfic as an answer:

Buffy would go easy at first, but as soon as Natasha popped her with a Widow Sting, she'd start bringing some slayer brawn to the fray. Natasha's fast, but a couple of good connects and she's wobbling, possibly something broken — she whips out her glock and now Buffy's dodging — right where Natasha wants her. Natasha shoots the cable holding the steel barrels and they tumble onto Buffy, nearly burying her — Buffy just arcs out of the way, grabbing the splintered cable and swinging directly onto Natasha, a bullet grazing her cheek as her feet land hard on the Russian's shoulders, sending her back flat — crack! — on the floor, Buffy wrenching the gun away and tossing it, fist ready for the final strike. Natasha, struggling to stay conscious, says the fight's over. Buffy agrees, but Natasha explains: She poisoned Buffy hours ago. That waitress that brought her salad …? Natasha smiles. The poison is dormant — 'til it's activated by adrenaline. Buffy's eyes narrow. "Too bad I didn't use any." Wham! Natasha's out for the count, and Buffy's heading — slowly — to Willow for a mystical cleanse.

RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:09 pm

I loved that so much. I want more Buffy, but not so badly that I'm willing to read the comics. I'm still on the fence about The Avengers, but this interview is pretty persuasive.
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:54 pm

It opens internationally in two weeks, in the US in three, and it still doesn't have a rating from the MPAA. I'm curious as to what the hold up is. Probably two or three frames of "excessive gore" that Joss, Joey Q, and John Lassiter are having to haggle with the board over. I think it'd be hilarious, though, if the problem was that the movie was actually being held up because it got a PG and now everyone's trying to figure out how they can amp it up so they don't get stigmatized with the kiddie rating.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny on Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:38 am

laddical wrote:I think it'd be hilarious, though, if the problem was that the movie was actually being held up because it got a PG and now everyone's trying to figure out how they can amp it up so they don't get stigmatized with the kiddie rating.

I vote nudity.
Miss Moneypenny

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat on Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:59 pm

Entertainment Tonight thing on The Avengers.

Is it May 4 yet?

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  jensa on Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:01 pm

Miss Moneypenny wrote:
laddical wrote:I think it'd be hilarious, though, if the problem was that the movie was actually being held up because it got a PG and now everyone's trying to figure out how they can amp it up so they don't get stigmatized with the kiddie rating.

I vote nudity.

As long as it's male nudity. And if they really want PG-13, I am sure Samuel L. has a few F-bombs in his pocket somewhere.
jensa

Back to top Go down

Post  Wildog27 on Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:13 pm

Critics have seen it.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MarvelFreshman/news/?a=57776

Two takeaways

1) They apparently loved it.

2) It has a 2:20 running time, which in my mind is great news. I was hoping they wouldn't try to shoehorn this into a 1:50 fastmover.

Wildog27

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:22 pm

From the Unpopular Fame Opinions thread:

punzy wrote:Norse Gods: all a "bag of dicks"? Discuss.

Probably. But judging just from Thor, I'd say there are quite a few of them that come off pretty well. The Warriors Three, Sif, and Frigga don't really have enough to do to ever have a "bag of dicks" moment. And Heimdall - I simply will not hear a word against Heimdall. Heimdall was AWESOME.

Odin earns the label, but is semi-justified, being the All Father, Lord of the Nine Realms. He's got a lot on his plate.

Thor has it in spades, but at least he learns his lesson thanks to Odin's bag of dickery. That sounds dirtier than I intend, but I'm riding this metaphor to the ground. And... that sounded dirtier than I intended, too.

And Loki is a trickster. Even before he knew about Odin's deception he was a jerk, so I don't see him having much in the way of justification, and certainly, since he's still a bag of dicks in The Avengers, no redemption.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat on Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:22 pm

I dunno...

Loki committed treason (Frost Giants in the vaults.)

Thor and Odin were just as indifferent as Loki to the two poor guards who died in the incident.

Thor went into a homicidal rage and murdered a bunch of Frost Giants who were pretty much just minding their own business. (Abetted by Heimdall, who knew Odin had forbidden the trip and had to know Thor was a homicidal hothead.)

Sif and the Warriors didn't know Loki had committed treason, and he was next in line for the throne, so as far as they knew he was legitimately king or regent or whatever, and they ran off to get Thor back just because they didn't like Loki, which is treason. (Abetted by Heimdall, who had reason to be suspicious of Loki but no proof.)

Thor was put in a position to redeem himself at about the same time Loki was put in a position to go completely off the deep end, which both of them did.

And there was a great deal of A+ parenting all around. (Odin, when your kid is having hysterics, it's not the time to tell him you took him home just because you thought he might come in handy someday. And Frigga, when your kid has just gotten over hysterics, maybe he deserves a minute to talk about things before you get back on the subject of his brother, yes?) [Yes, yes, I know, Odin was falling into Odinsleep and not coherent. Still. Textbook "what not to say."]

So yeah. Bag of dicks all around, really. And yet I really really liked it!

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf on Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:15 am

So I've seen it. Pretty good. 3D is fairly non-existent, though. Also, the bonus scene is during the credits instead of after. So essentially, you can leave five minutes earlier. I watched the whole credits, though, just in case. Nothing more. :)

Cobie Smulders looks really good in a skintight blue uniform.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny on Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:09 pm

It's out pretty much everywhere but the US tomorrow, if you're avoiding spoilers and have international geek friends.
Miss Moneypenny

Back to top Go down

Post  Caramel Coffee on Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:32 am

Oh man, I loved it so much. Not to raise anyone's expectations or anything.
Caramel Coffee

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat on Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:11 am

Someone on DeviantArt has reworked the verbal confrontation between Cap and Iron Man. ("Take away the suit and what are you?")

(I know I shouldn't find this as funny as I do. But I do.)

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:39 am

That's the kind of thing that I'll randomly think of in years and I'll *still* crack up.

(Related, but off-topic: There was an old Non Sequitur cartoon that was a single panel with the text "The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle" and a picture of Rocky Balboa delivering a jab that had Bullwinkle J. Moose falling backwards, arms splayed. I have never been able to find that strip since, but 18 years later, I still chuckle when I think about it. This is going to be the same.)
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top