Downton Abbey (British version)

Page 5 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 19  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Downton Abbey (British version)

Post  dday515 on Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:42 pm

inversed wrote:I assume there are clips from Season Two? I doubt it would spoil too much but I also don't want to deprive myself of the delight of hearing her deliver the lines in context!

Not having seen all of season 2, (watching it stateside) - there were a few lines I didn't remember, so yes, it does include season 2. Nothing that spoiled anything, I don't think!

dday515

Back to top Go down

Post  mrinsouciance on Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:13 pm

Anyone catch last night's episode?

Oh, O'Brien; you just can't quite let yourself go over to the good side, can you?

Mrs. Patimore is becoming one of my faves, too.

The Ethel "surprise" was fairly predictable.

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 on Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:42 pm

mrinsouciance wrote:
The Ethel "surprise" was fairly predictable.
Agreed. Though every time this show does something soapy like that, they give us something awesome like the moment Mary sees Matthew.
Which was also predictable and could have been cheesy in the wrong hands, but was just awesome instead.
...or maybe I'm just a giant sap, heh.
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  mrinsouciance on Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:48 pm

That means I'm a giant sap, too. It was awesome, and the actress playing Mary is fantastic.

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  maxell131313 on Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:01 pm

I wear my giant sap t-shirt with pride.

I knew it was coming and yet, it still got to me. It was a lovely moment. That and Bates coming back to DA and the googly-eyes he and Anna give to each other. Love them.

In other stories: Does Thomas actually DO anything other than smoke cigarettes and make condescending remarks to everyone around him? I mean, he's supposed to be in charge of the whole convalescent hospital and yet I never see him under a mountain of paperwork red tape or talking to any military types, patient or otherwise. I'm finding him to be the most pointless character ever.

Also, if Sybil runs off with Branson I'll never forgive her.
maxell131313

Back to top Go down

Post  mrinsouciance on Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:39 pm

maxell131313 wrote:In other stories: Does Thomas actually DO anything other than smoke cigarettes and make condescending remarks to everyone around him? I mean, he's supposed to be in charge of the whole convalescent hospital and yet I never see him under a mountain of paperwork red tape or talking to any military types, patient or otherwise. I'm finding him to be the most pointless character ever.

I was thinking the same thing last night. I don't understand why Carson and Hughes don't tell him to stick it and stay out of the staff dining area (since he makes sure to remind everyone constantly that he's not part of the Downton staff). I haven't noticed them showing the nurses hanging around in there, after all.

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian on Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:49 pm

I don't even get why O'Brien hates Bates so much. I mean, I get randomly hating a co-worker. Boy, do I. But she always wants, like, REVENGE!, and I just don't get it. I get it with Thomas because he's a little shit, so that's just how he rolls. But with O'Brien and her, "I guess I know how to hold a grudge longer than you" or whatever it was she said, I just don't get it. It's Bates. Hate him, fine, but what's the grudge for? Am I forgetting where he actually did something to her, besides just exist and be crippled and get a job that Thomas wanted but probably wouldn't have kept for very long because he sucks?

I don't know how I'm supposed to feel about Sybil and Branson, and I think that's because of the show's light-speed timeline. They were just starting to get friendly at the end of Season 1, and now it's like a bajillion years later and he wants to run away with her and I missed all the in-between parts that help me figure out whether I'm either supposed to root for them or not. Sybil seems pretty indifferent, so I guess I am, too? Still, thanks for not trying to kill that guy, Branson. I like that I can still like you.

Oh, Mary and Matthew. Mary's face was so great when he showed up, and it was totally delightful shipper fun times when he started singing. You kids. Get your shit together already (although I'm not getting my hopes up for this to be resolved in anything resembling a timely fashion).

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed on Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:09 pm

Yall, I had a dream last night that I time-traveled back to Edwardian England and was hanging out with Sybil, trying to convince her that she should get with Branson. I tried to explain that in the future, class is less important. Things got extra-challenging when my cell rang and I had to explain about text messages.

I also don't get why Mrs O'Brien hates Bates so much. Even Thomas was like, "Whatever, I've got more important things to do."

Poor Moseley though. He's kind of obsequious but I feel sorry for the sap.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:44 pm

HOORAY!!! I wasn't sure if you guys were talking about this show on the US schedule or not and I have been afraid of being spoiled. But it seems you are. So this thread is my new home. I am obsessed with this show. I mainlined Season 1 a couple weeks ago and now I'm enjoying the heck out of Season 2. I laughed out loud seeing that you guys call him Mistah Behhhts, because that is the exact same thing I call him, spelled the same way. I LOVE ME A YORKSHIRE ACCENT. They call it wutherin', that sound.

I also am gratified that there is some sympathy for stupid dumb Edith in here. I can't help it, I like her and I feel bad for her. She is the plain sister. Nobody likes her. She is the Jerry from Parks & Rec of this show. I actually cried when she got recognized for helping the soldiers and everyone toasted her. And I felt AWFUL when Mary fucked up her engagement with the nice boring guy who was perfect for her. Stupid Mary. I have been annoyed at Mary for a long time, but I have to say I have softened on her this season. And I got a little mushy when Matthew came back. I wanted them to run up and hug each other, but of course we don't do that, it would not be proper. In general, though, I've had a hard time feeling a lot of sympathy for her. But HER CLOTHES ARE AMAZING.

Have you all seen this, and part 2? Some amusing stuff. "This is Thomas, our evil footman." (Intensive spoilers for season 1, but nothing beyond that.)

I took that quiz a while back and I got Mistah Behhhhts. And I was happy with that. I love him and his nobility. STUPID VERA.

Perhaps I'm in the minority but I adore Daisy. Everything she says is hilarious.

And obviously the Dowager Countess, but that should go without saying. Quick and dumb story: My cat looks like she's wearing clown pants (her butt is furry and one side is black and the other side is tan), so her nickname is Clown Pants, and sometimes I just call her "Clown" or "Clowny," and so I have dubbed her the Dowager Clowntess of Marlboro (my street name). She's about as useful as Violet and about as disgusted/horrified by everything, heh.
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear on Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:08 am

My husband is annoyed because we're slowly getting him sucked into the show. Our Sunday Night X-Files Club is watching Downton Abbey instead for the moment, and he and my friend's boyfriend are stuck watching it with us. He claims that he's ignoring the TV when it's on, but then he'll ask me all sorts of questions about the first season in the car on the way home. ONE OF US
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:33 pm

I actually liked that Thomas is over any desire for 'revenge' on Bates. He was mad because he felt he deserved the valet position. But now he has a better job than valet, so why would he want to mess with Bates over it?
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 on Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:42 pm

Unlucky Bear wrote:My husband is annoyed because we're slowly getting him sucked into the show. Our Sunday Night X-Files Club is watching Downton Abbey instead for the moment, and he and my friend's boyfriend are stuck watching it with us. He claims that he's ignoring the TV when it's on, but then he'll ask me all sorts of questions about the first season in the car on the way home. ONE OF US
Exxxxxcellent. My husband told he wants to do a marathon viewing of season 1 soon, because "all these tv people keep talking about it." Well, YEAH. Because it's awesome!
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  themis on Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:29 pm

My MIL recommended Downton to me last year during their annual snowbird visit with us, and she'd watch and I would keep half an eye on it while cooking dinner, not registering a ton other than the house and the insanely beautiful costuming. I liked it fine. This year, knowing she'd want to talk about the show and it was finally back on, I streamed season one again prior to her visit and gulped it down in one happy weekend, and now we're watching it together. It is deliciously soapy, I love it. Also, why don't I have jet beaded dinner dresses and gloves and perfect cloche hats? Not fair.

I did miss a couple of episodes in season two. Have they addressed Thomas' and O'Brien's relationship, ever, why are they such symbiotes? I would guess
Spoiler:
he's her illegitimate son, or something -?

themis

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear on Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:35 pm

They're both the biggest a-holes downstairs, so they're naturally drawn to each other?
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  mrinsouciance on Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:42 pm

Unlucky Bear wrote:They're both the biggest a-holes downstairs, so they're naturally drawn to each other?

That's my best guess, the same way malcontents at a job site are drawn together to gripe about work.

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  wenchsenior on Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:10 pm

mokey75 wrote:
Unlucky Bear wrote:My husband is annoyed because we're slowly getting him sucked into the show. Our Sunday Night X-Files Club is watching Downton Abbey instead for the moment, and he and my friend's boyfriend are stuck watching it with us. He claims that he's ignoring the TV when it's on, but then he'll ask me all sorts of questions about the first season in the car on the way home. ONE OF US
Exxxxxcellent. My husband told he wants to do a marathon viewing of season 1 soon, because "all these tv people keep talking about it." Well, YEAH. Because it's awesome!

My husband's far more obsessed with this show than I (although I like it a lot). He has watched all the online behind the scenes stuff, and done the online "which character are you" meme.

wenchsenior

Back to top Go down

Post  Jessica on Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:31 pm

Am I forgetting where he actually did something to her, besides just exist and be crippled and get a job that Thomas wanted but probably wouldn't have kept for very long because he sucks?

No, right? I was wondering this too, myself.

I hate O'Brien. I hate hate hate her. I want to push her down a well I hate her so much. (Obviously, I enjoy hating her as much as I do, but seriously, she might as well have a mustache to twirl.)
Jessica

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear on Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:37 pm

PBS busted selling unauthorized "Downton Abbey" merch

Damn it, I want some knockoff jewelry from this show!
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian on Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:04 am

Motherfucker, those bastards killed William. Nooooooooooo!!! He was the most adorable! Why does Thomas get to live and we have to lose William (although I did cackle at O'Brien's remark about William haunting Thomas)? I mean, yeah, that death anvil has been hovering steadily over his head since the first episode, but I was hoping they'd just have him come back traumatized or something. Time moves so fast on this show that he'd be over it by the beginning of Season 3.

And now for the part where I'm awful, because I'm relieved on Daisy's behalf. That poor girl with all those people ganging up on her. I feel so bad for her. I actually like her a lot more this season. With the way this show usually goes, I was half expecting William to make a miraculous recovery so that Daisy could spend the rest of her life feeling trapped and guilty.

Uh-oh, no sexytimes and no heirs for Matthew. Chin up, dude. Jason Street found a way to knock up a waitress, you can totally do it, too. Because you live in a fancy soap opera.

I could not give less of a shit about the maid who was around for fifteen minutes and then had herself an illegitimate baby. However, watching Mrs. Hughes sneak off to go see her reminded me of Mrs. Hughes sneaking off to meet a gentleman friend last season. Whatever happened there?

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  laurelin_kit on Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:08 am

Nothing, really. She met up with him, he proposed, she decided she wanted to stay where she was.
laurelin_kit

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian on Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:13 am

He proposed??? Holy moly, I really should have finished my Season 1 re-watch. I don't remember that at all.

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  laurelin_kit on Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:19 am

They didn't show it. She just gave a sad monologue about how she's not a young girl any more and she's made her choices etc etc.
laurelin_kit

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear on Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:29 am

We were pretty traumatized over Matthew and William's injuries. I feel really bad for Lavinia. I kind of want her to go away so he and Mary can get back together, but then she was so upset when Matthew broke off their engagement. I am conflicted. My viewing partners have been making jokes for weeks that if Matthew dies without an heir, Downton Abbey is going to end up going to an even less desirable distant relation, like a bootblack in Surrey or something. This is looking more and more likely.

I am so annoyed with Daisy. She wouldn't get into these messes if she would quit let people manipulate her all the damn time, though I do think that once they knew William was dying, she should have sucked it up and married him. I couldn't figure out where I knew William's dad from, but then I realized he was Matthews from the Horatio Hornblower movies, and so I love him. I did love Maggie Smith pulling rank on that vicar or whatever.

Someone just needs to have Vera killed already.

Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed on Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:02 am

Oh, William. I'm glad Daisy married him, even though I did feel bad that she was being pushed into it. It seemed like she realized how important it was to William in the end. (Also her hair was adorable.) Lots of tears at our house at the wedding.

So sad for Matthew and Lavinia too. Can I say that I really appreciate the show writers not making her into a catty bitch, and not having she and Mary at each others' throats? I'm very curious how Mary is going to get out of this engagement with Sir Richard.

Already super tired of Vera. She has to have some sort of motivation for being such a heinous bitch beyond "I don't want my husband to be happy." There had to have been some good qualities in her at some point, or else Mr. Behhhhts (love that!) wouldn't have married her in the first place! Mrs. Hughes needs to push her in front of a tram already.

Sybil and Branson's storyline needs to go somewhere other than "You love me!" "I don't know that!" "Run away with me, screw your family!" "I can't!" because it's getting stale.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 on Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:25 am

inversed wrote:Oh, William. I'm glad Daisy married him, even though I did feel bad that she was being pushed into it. It seemed like she realized how important it was to William in the end. (Also her hair was adorable.) Lots of tears at our house at the wedding.
It's amazing how dusty my house got around that point. Even the Countess was crying. Poor William. And I felt badly for Daisy, too, even though she is insufferable most of the time. I'm glad she was able to keep her mouth shut and let poor William die happy.

And I totally agree about Lavinia. I want her gone and out of Mary and Matthew's way, but I'm glad they didn't make her eeeevil or something.

Branson is a dolt. Sybil can do so much better than him. Tell him to piss off, Sybil!

mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 19  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top