Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Downton Abbey (British version)

+61
mandalaya
Melk
bookworm
SarahJanet
Lily Rose
particle_person
slmader
Nerg
xyzzy
Decca
dionneshea
boutros boutros kitty
sagitare
Corvus
VodouDoll
Poubelle
pamchenko
lil d
laddical
chibimanda
Auroura76
fuh
Rhilin
emrie
tothemax
Jessica
wenchsenior
themis
RiverThames
Instant Monkeys
dday515
Shadowlass
BreezyK
biakbiak
Fraoch
laurelin_kit
maxell131313
bbridges
choubetcha
Tabby
MLIS
schwa
inversed
puddingcup
Unlucky Bear
Carrie Ann
mialoubug
mrinsouciance
naughty zoot
mokey75
salamandersam
Gillian
Francie Nolan
QueenSix
epudom
Morning Angel
harvey the penguin
Queen Esther
caerbannog
Kiran
Genevieve
65 posters

Page 10 of 19 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14 ... 19  Next

Go down

Downton Abbey (British version) - Page 10 Empty Re: Downton Abbey (British version)

Post  VodouDoll Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:50 pm

Yeah, she has her own place. She told Thomas's Duke ex-boyfriend who came to visit that one time that her house was designed by Christopher Wren and invited him over to see it. I have no idea why that random detail stuck in my head.

VodouDoll

Back to top Go down

Downton Abbey (British version) - Page 10 Empty Re: Downton Abbey (British version)

Post  Corvus Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:42 pm

I have no idea why that random detail stuck in my head.
Because the Dowager Duchess said it.

<Me at work these days, to everyone's annoyance.>
Corvus
Corvus

Back to top Go down

Post  Tabby Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:31 pm

Yeah, she has her own place.
She lives in the estate's Dower House. On noble estates, it's where the widow of the former title-holder moves to when he dies.
Tabby
Tabby

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:33 pm

They have shown her house several times, it has a stone gate opening to a courtyard and then it's usually a scene with her and Cora.
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  sagitare Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:18 pm

Looks like the station that airs the show up here will be re-airing the series from the beginning starting on the 22nd. NOW I CAN FINALLY FIND OUT WHAT EVERYONE'S GOING ON ABOUT WITH THIS SHOW.
sagitare
sagitare

Back to top Go down

Post  VodouDoll Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:17 am

Did any other Arrested Development fans die at, "No touching!" We laughed so hard we had to pause the show.

I'm happy for Daisy that she finally has someone who really takes an interest in her and cares what happens to her. William's dad is such a nice man. I couldn't be more pleased at how that storyline resolved.

VodouDoll

Back to top Go down

Post  Francie Nolan Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:42 am

VodouDoll wrote:Did any other Arrested Development fans die at, "No touching!" We laughed so hard we had to pause the show.

OMG, I was laughing so hard I had tears running down my face. I am now picturing an AD/Downton crossover, with Lucille and Lady Violet getting into an epic battle of the bon mots.

I just finished watching and still need to process, but all the internet reassurance that the Christmas special is the best of the season was so, so right.

Francie Nolan

Back to top Go down

Post  Morning Angel Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:48 am

VodouDoll wrote:Did any other Arrested Development fans die at, "No touching!" We laughed so hard we had to pause the show.

Yes, that is what I was referencing in my post on the previous page. That made me laugh so much; I had to pause as well!

I love the Xmas episode. The pacing was just better overall.
Morning Angel
Morning Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  VodouDoll Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:49 am

And once we finally pulled it together and unpaused, my husband said, "And now the guard will bring them ice cream sandwiches," which set us off all over again.

VodouDoll

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:08 am

Oh, I am in so much love with the Christmas special. Applause! Applause for the adorable proposal and the happy twirling in the snow! Eight years (give or take) is a LONG-ASS TIME to have a slow burn going, and I pray so hard they just let these kids go through with it. I so want to see their version of married couple bickering. It will be so adorable.

Aww, I also hope that next season we get to see lots of Sybil and her super political Irish baby toddler tween fuck it, I have no idea how old this kid will be in Season 3.

Y'all were right, Lord Grantham did redeem himself from his random, assy, maid indiscretion. It's still annoying that it happened because it's obvious that it happened solely so that conversation between him and Mary could take place, but it was a nice conversation, so I'm prepared to just deal with it. As long as they never, ever speak of it again.

I'm having withdrawals already. I miss this show terribly when it's not on, which is, like, 46 weeks out of the year. So sad.

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:03 am

Our X-Files/Downton Abbey club had a drinking game going tonight; we were drinking apple pie schnapps out of wine glasses like the classy ladies we are. We were joking that we would do a shot every time the dowager said something awesome, every time someone tried to manipulate Daisy, every time Edith did something pathetic, etc. I joked at the start that if Edith got a marriage proposal this episode, we would have to do a waterfall until the episode ended. When Sir Anthony showed up in the first 10 minutes, everyone was thinking "oh shit," but thankfully for our livers' sakes, that didn't go anywhere.
Unlucky Bear
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  VodouDoll Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:16 am

I have to say, every time I watch this show there's at least one moment that makes me so glad I was born nowadays instead of back then. This week it was when Mary told Matthew about Mr. Pamuk and he whined, "Why would you doooooo this? Did you loooooove him?" and the truth was, of course not, she'd just met him that day. She did him because she was 19 years old, and he was really hot, and honestly, it's none of Matt's business anyway. But that wasn't an acceptable answer back then.

Long live feminism!

VodouDoll

Back to top Go down

Post  boutros boutros kitty Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:10 pm

I think I'm going to need a time-line for this show. And I love the Chicken Lady so much.

boutros boutros kitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Francie Nolan Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:31 pm

Morning Angel wrote:Yes, that is what I was referencing in my post on the previous page. That made me laugh so much; I had to pause as well!

I remembered your post as soon as I heard that line, which I'm still giggling about.

The dowager was on fire again. Her "Do you promise?" was fantastic, as was her hurried explanation of Sybil's marriage to Sir Anthony. "He doesn't shoot pheasants." Ha! I wish we were able to catch up with Sybil and Branson at least a little bit in this one. I guess we'll see them and their Fenian babies next season.

Is it me or does Sir Anthony have a case of the crazy eyes? You could practically hear Edith's "Woohoo!" when he told her about his arm. She does love her some war-wounded. Though that storyline just kind of dropped midway through. Poor Edith, even Julian Fellowes forgets about her.

Francie Nolan

Back to top Go down

Post  dionneshea Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:09 pm

I was confused on something with the trial, and I'm wondering if I missed something. How did the prosecution find out about the private conversations between Mr. Bates and Lord Grantham, and the other ones used in the trial? Did Thomas rat, and if so did we see it, or are we just to presume? I was in and out of my living room for part of it, so I'm wondering if I missed a major plot point there.

Other than that, I quite liked the Christmas episode. For the first time I sort of understood where Daisy was coming from so I didn't entirely hate her. I liked seeing Mary ditch Sir Richard. The trial was interesting. Could have used some Sybil and Branson. Oh, and I really enjoyed the servants' ball. Matthew dancing with O'Brien was the stuff dreams are made of.
dionneshea
dionneshea

Back to top Go down

Post  Morning Angel Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:54 pm

dionneshea wrote: Oh, and I really enjoyed the servants' ball. Matthew dancing with O'Brien was the stuff dreams are made of.

I loved Matthew's reaction to Lord Grantham he was going to have to dance with O'Brien! (That and his face when Mary told him her fling with Pamuk was about lust!) Mary's reaction to Thomas coming to dance with the Dowager Countess was also priceless. Nothing scares Thomas!

I have to say, I was kind of hoping there was going to be a bold move with Bates, and he was actually going to be hanged. Bates's storyline has been really iffy this year; I kind of wanted to see something different. But I do realize it might have be a bit too bold. lol
Morning Angel
Morning Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:13 pm

Francie Nolan wrote:The dowager was on fire again. Her "Do you promise?" was fantastic,
That was THE BEST. I giggled fiercely at that.

Though that storyline just kind of dropped midway through. Poor Edith, even Julian Fellowes forgets about her.
Hee hee, true. Poor Edith indeed.

That was a delightful episode! And now PBS is showing a making-of!
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:26 pm

Yeah, to be honest I kind of hoped the season would end with Bates being hanged and Mary and Anna going to America. Not that I don't like Bates and Anna but their story is just so depressing now.
Unlucky Bear
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  mrinsouciance Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:18 pm

Instant Monkeys wrote:That was a delightful episode! And now PBS is showing a making-of!

Whoa, Lady Sybil! *fans self*

I am counting on the vengeful return of Carlisle. That guy is gold in terms of villainy. Thomas is more the bumbling villain, at this point.

We laughed out loud at Mary's expression when her father's all "So, are you marrying Carlisle because Pamuk croaked in your bed?"

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  Jessica Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:27 pm

I was confused on something with the trial, and I'm wondering if I missed something. How did the prosecution find out about the private conversations between Mr. Bates and Lord Grantham, and the other ones used in the trial?

ME TOO. How does the prosecution know ANY OF THE THAT? Julian Fellows, we all watch Law and Order; you best be able to explain that.

That being said, I lit'rally squeeed when Matthew and Mary FINALLY got together. As much as I love their UST, it's about damn time. Although I demand to see that wedding. If Season 3 opens like six years later, I am going to be mightily irked.
Jessica
Jessica

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:43 pm

Jessica wrote:That being said, I lit'rally squeeed when Matthew and Mary FINALLY got together. As much as I love their UST, it's about damn time. Although I demand to see that wedding. If Season 3 opens like six years later, I am going to be mightily irked.
I clapped delightedly and said "YAY!" like a total goober.

I also demand to see the wedding. I've been worrying that Season 3 will open and they'll be DIVORCED or some tricksy bullshit like that.

And I admit I was also a tiny bit disappointed that we're not going to get The Adventures of Mary and Anna in America.

I was struck this episode by how unnervingly Sir Anthony Strallan resembles Chris Carter. Run, Edith!
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:46 pm

I am really tired of this Bates and Anna thing dragging out so long. I used to be so invested in their Love Against All Odds and now I'm just annoyed by all the crap that's thrown in their way. When Bates was talking about how long his appeal would take, and how she needs to have fun and make friends, I was so hoping he'd say "So go to America with Lady Mary!" Humpf. Anna and Mary would have had such a good time in a less classist society. You know they'd be going to speakeasies and rouging their knees and all that jazz.

Prison Bates is kind of hot though.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  Fraoch Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:13 pm

I third the demand for M&M's wedding. The wedding attire will be TO DIE FOR.

I like the friendship that has developed between Anna and Mary throughout the series. Maybe some crazy excuse for a road trip can be developed for the next season that takes them to America, if even for a few weeks or something.

Fraoch

Back to top Go down

Post  maxell131313 Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:19 pm

I'm with TLo that if they don't start marketing Downton Abbey snowglobes after this episode, they're missing out. I'd snatch that up in a heartbeat.

Loved the whole episode so, so much. (Thomas' dog-napping aside.) I'm hoping with Shirley McLaine showing up next season it's because she's arriving for M&M's wedding? I'm crossing my fingers. Well, that and seeing Sybil's baby.

I want to reiterate my desire to be Violet when I grow up. She gets all the best snarks.
maxell131313
maxell131313

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:09 am

The Ouija board thing was kind of dumb, but it was super fun to see all the downstairs people playing with it. And it was a total kick to see the rich folk play charades. Mary was so adorably dorky at it. The Christmas episode really was just a lot of fun. Aside from the whole Bates thing, that is.

I honestly did not believe that Mary and Matthew would just straight-up get together and get engaged with no ambiguity whatsoever. That is not how this show works. As I was watching, I started imagining this scenario where Mary and Anna do go to America because Sir Richard douches it up big time and goes big with his Crawley smear campaign, and Matthew just promises to be waiting for her when she comes back, and that would be their tentative romantic resolution. And then Season 3 would open with Mary and Anna in the US, hanging out with Shirley MacLaine and a bunch of American cowboys*. It would have completely ruled.

*I cannot express how much I loved Robert's line about Mary bringing home a cowboy to shake things up a bit. If the proposal scene hadn't been so damn perfect (I've watched it on YouTube like 60 times now), that's exactly what I would have wanted to see happen.

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 19 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14 ... 19  Next