Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Downton Abbey (British version)

+61
mandalaya
Melk
bookworm
SarahJanet
Lily Rose
particle_person
slmader
Nerg
xyzzy
Decca
dionneshea
boutros boutros kitty
sagitare
Corvus
VodouDoll
Poubelle
pamchenko
lil d
laddical
chibimanda
Auroura76
fuh
Rhilin
emrie
tothemax
Jessica
wenchsenior
themis
RiverThames
Instant Monkeys
dday515
Shadowlass
BreezyK
biakbiak
Fraoch
laurelin_kit
maxell131313
bbridges
choubetcha
Tabby
MLIS
schwa
inversed
puddingcup
Unlucky Bear
Carrie Ann
mialoubug
mrinsouciance
naughty zoot
mokey75
salamandersam
Gillian
Francie Nolan
QueenSix
epudom
Morning Angel
harvey the penguin
Queen Esther
caerbannog
Kiran
Genevieve
65 posters

Page 2 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 19  Next

Go down

Downton Abbey (British version) - Page 2 Empty Re: Downton Abbey (British version)

Post  Francie Nolan Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:23 pm

I'm desperately trying not to read the spoilers, but I just finished the first series and had to come here. Oh, I am hooked--it is so dramatic! It is so dramatic that there was actually a dramatic chord played when Robert gets the telegram that war has been declared. And Thomas and O'Brien (OMG, O'Brien! With the soap!) are like a couple of silent movie villains. I'm desperately trying to hold off until the second series comes to PBS in January, but I don't know if I can wait.

Francie Nolan

Back to top Go down

Downton Abbey (British version) - Page 2 Empty Re: Downton Abbey (British version)

Post  Morning Angel Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:31 pm

The Christmas special packed more development in it than the whole of series 2, I think. The ending made me so happy. Perversely,
Spoiler:
I'm a bit tired of Bates, which is too bad given how much I liked him in series 1.
Morning Angel
Morning Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  epudom Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:18 pm

Oh, the drama!

Spoiler:

Maybe there should be 2 hour specials every few months as that might actually keep the plot moving along at a reasonable pace!

epudom
epudom

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:44 pm

Is PBS going to include the Christmas special when they show the second season? I see no reason why they wouldn't, but I'm curious nevertheless.

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  Francie Nolan Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:25 pm

Grrr...trying so hard to be a good girl and wait 13 more days until PBS starts airing the second series. I only just got hooked so I'm sure I would have cracked earlier if I'd watched when it first aired. I need my fix of Maggie Smith bon mots and EVIL Thomas twirling his non-existent mustache. (Please tell me Thomas gets to have a mustache to twirl in series two).

Francie Nolan

Back to top Go down

Post  salamandersam Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:34 pm

I'm so happy after the Christmas Special, though a perverse part of me wants a Dowton/Boardwalk Empire cross over. I wasn't surprised about Sybil, but wasn't expecting them to have so much plot development in a 90 minute special compared to the entirety of season 2.

salamandersam

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:39 pm

Francie Nolan wrote:Grrr...trying so hard to be a good girl and wait 13 more days until PBS starts airing the second series. I only just got hooked so I'm sure I would have cracked earlier if I'd watched when it first aired. I need my fix of Maggie Smith bon mots and EVIL Thomas twirling his non-existent mustache. (Please tell me Thomas gets to have a mustache to twirl in series two).
I KNOW![/Monica] All of you people with your spoilers are killing me, heh.
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  Genevieve Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:54 am

Aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh. Just watched the Christmas special. So many feelings and so much flailing on my part.
And as always, Maggie Smith is so divinely awesome.
Genevieve
Genevieve

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:12 pm

Since the first episode of the second season aired last night for us poor, delayed Americans, heh:

Oh Bates, why must you be so noble and break my heart? Well, and Anna's, too, I guess. I knew it wouldn't be so easy for them to get together, but must you crush my soul 30 seconds later, Show? Poor, cowardly Mosely.

It's good to know that Thomas still sucks. As does Edith- even when you're supposed to feel sorry for her, I feel nothing. I just find her so unlikable, and not even in a fun way. But Maggie Smith continues to rule. I love the Lady Grantham/Isobel relationship.

Also, I watched the first season on my tiny 20 inch tv. Last night, I watched it in the living room in HD, and my lord, this show is gorgeous. My husband felt badly for "banishing" me to the bedroom (I watched it when he was watching football), heh.
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:16 pm

It's good to know that Thomas still sucks. As does Edith
Yes, yes, yes. Daisy as well, though in a different way. I want to slap her silly - well, sillier.

naughty zoot
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  mrinsouciance Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:24 pm

I love that O'Brien has the hots for Lang. I'm glad to see they've decided she's not the cartoon villain that Thomas is (one of those is enough). That and all the shit she was pulling on Ethel, the obnoxious new maid (who looks like she was separated at birth from Olivia D'Abo).

I'm also wondering what the story is with Matthew's fiance', because you know they'll need to get her out of the way at some point and Carlisle obviously has some dirt on her.

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:54 pm

Daisy is the only character on this show I actually hate. Because the others can be awful but I find them interesting. Shes just awful and annoying to me.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  mialoubug Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:01 pm

My husband said she reminds him of a Disney character. She is annoying but she is so, so young.
mialoubug
mialoubug

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:03 pm

She is, but damn her uptalk gets to me. I think the actor is also not as good as the rest of the cast.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:24 pm

I agree, Kiran. Plus, she can't be that young anymore - it's been what? Four years since the timeline started?

I have what may be a stupid question, but: the farmer that Edith kissed. Is he married? I thought that was his sister, but someone on another message board mentioned it was his wife. I totally missed something by being meh about Edith, didn't I?
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  mrinsouciance Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:35 pm

I'm pretty sure it was his wife, and not a sister/cousin. That's what I took away from it, anyway.

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:23 pm

It's definitely his wife - he's the guy whose life was saved by Isobel's interference at the hospital in Season 1.

Last edited by Carrie Ann on Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Carrie Ann
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:34 pm

Edith sucks. We were waiting for her to drive the tractor through those farmers' house at some point.
Unlucky Bear
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:51 pm

I caved and have already watched the entire second series so hearing you guys talk about it is so much fun.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:56 pm

mrinsouciance wrote:I love that O'Brien has the hots for Lang. I'm glad to see they've decided she's not the cartoon villain that Thomas is (one of those is enough). That and all the shit she was pulling on Ethel.

I'm glad about O'Brien's development too. Pure evil is just as dull as pure goodness in a character, though I didn't get that she has the hots for Lang. It was to O'Brien's credit that she admired Lang's mad valet skillz. They tried to redeem Thomas with the blinded soldier, but that bit just wasn't as compelling, even though it was more dramatic. He's still the evil gay (see TLo).

Please can I have all of Lady Mary's clothes.

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:26 pm

Daisy on this show reminds me a lot of Daisy on Bones. That is . . . not a good thing, because Daisy on Bones is the absolute worst. But she bugged me a lot less last night than she did last season. Unless she did something stupid in the last 45 minutes, because I haven't watched those yet.

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:12 pm

I got to see a preview screening of the first hour of the new season on Saturday morning at the local indie movie theater, and I didn't realize that there was a second hour. I'm so glad I tuned in to watch it again! And I am SO GLAD I can go into this thread again!!! My thoughts, I have many of them:

I was feeling better about Edith (who I don't hate as much as everyone else), glad that she finally found something to do with herself, until she so willingly kissed the married farmer. I refused to feel sympathy for Thomas even when he was crying over the dead solider. I was about dead from how adorable William was when he asked Daisy to be his girl and when he turned up in uniform all proud of himself. But I have a very bad feeling about how that's going to turn out. And come ON Daisy, don't be such a dingbat. I was glad to see a less-evil side to O'Brien, since she seemed to have been really affected by being responsible for Cora's accident. She's still a bitch, but embarrassing the annoying new maid is on a far different level from trying to get Bates fired for stealing. Maybe Lang will give her something else to focus on. I'm very curious to see how she acts with Thomas back, especially because she seems to have some real affection for him.

And oh, oh, oh Anna and Bates. As soon as they were making Plans for the Future, I knew it was all going to blow up. I so want Mrs Hughes, Carson and Anna to go kick Vera's ass.

Final thoughts about Edith: Everyone hates her, and I understand that. But why not have similar hatred for Mary then? I mean, Edith at least has a reason for being the way she is: the "plain," overlooked sister, always being put down by the prettier, more charming Mary. Nobody seems that interested in her, not even her parents. Yes she writes the letter to the Turkish Ambassador, but Mary destroyed Edith's chance at marriage for no reason other than spite.

Don't get me wrong, I am rooting for Mary and Matthew, and I like that all the characters are so complex. I just don't think Edith should get all the hate.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:47 pm

I really thought Mrs. Hughes was going to have Vera killed at some point. She's head housekeeper; don't tell me she doesn't know things.
Unlucky Bear
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  schwa Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:09 pm

I'm so glad this is back! Between this and War Horse, I've had a very WWI heavy week so far.

I was very conflicted when Thomas was somewhat sympathetic at the beginning. But of course he was the same old Thomas when he came back, so I didn't feel guilty hating him.

schwa

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:28 pm

Final thoughts about Edith: Everyone hates her, and I understand that. But why not have similar hatred for Mary then? I mean, Edith at least has a reason for being the way she is: the "plain," overlooked sister, always being put down by the prettier, more charming Mary. Nobody seems that interested in her, not even her parents. Yes she writes the letter to the Turkish Ambassador, but Mary destroyed Edith's chance at marriage for no reason other than spite.
Didn't Mary ruin Edith's chance at marriage because Edith wrote the letter that fanned the flames of the gossip about Mary and the dead Turk? I'm asking because I'm seriously not sure. I was trying to remember the other night. But I thought that Edith struck first, and Mary was just evening the score.

Right now I hate Edith because seriously? A married farmer? She looked so devastated when the farmer's wife booted her ass, but what was her plan there? To kick out the wife and start life over as a farmer's wife? Stealthy sex in the barn after a hard day's work?

Anna and Sybil are the best. Just seriously the best. And they are both seriously decent at turning down lovesick dudes without destroying their pride. Well, Anna is better at that than Sybil, but they're both just so cute and awesome. Poor Branson. I don't see this going well for him. I did love when he was not-so-subtlety asking Sybil if she would ever be able to return to her old life. His timing sucked, but you could see that he was a little stoked about her answer.

And William! Good God, that boy is adorable. I don't even want to think about what the war might do to him.

I'm trying to decide what I think is going to happen to Matthew's fiancee whose name I don't remember. At first I thought she was going to die tragically, but now I kind of think that Bates' crazy wife is going to die, and they can't both conveniently die. Ultimately, I think it's Matthew's fiancee who'll die. Tragically. In a bombing in London or something. These scandalous hints with the newspaper guy are totally a red herring. There's no way this girl's backstory could be more scandalous than Mary's. I still don't know what's going to happen to Bates' wife.

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 19  Next