Downton Abbey (British version)

Page 16 of 19 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Downton Abbey (British version)

Post  xyzzy on Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:45 am

Matthew's death was ridiculously telegraphed. Lady Mary could never live without Matthew, then he's driving his "fast" car with a stupid grin on his face. Silly. I'm still looking forward to Series 4, however. It's soapy fun with pretty clothes. I'm satisfied.
xyzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Morning Angel on Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:15 pm

xyzzy wrote:Matthew's death was ridiculously telegraphed. Lady Mary could never live without Matthew, then he's driving his "fast" car with a stupid grin on his face. Silly.

Somewhere else, someone called this the "City of Angels" move (after that Meg Ryan classic, of course). A ridiculous way to die.
Morning Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:13 pm

Re: Lady Edith's men. You forgot gaptooth.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Morning Angel on Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:43 am

A new role is being cast for series 4. I have so many suggestions!
Morning Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:48 pm

I don't know if I will be ready for that tbh...
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily Rose on Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:15 pm

Yeah, I am not up for that, it seems too soon.

Lily Rose

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 on Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:32 pm

So,
Spoiler:
Mary gets YET ANOTHER DUDE to romance her, while Edith is left with Inappropriate Suitor number 2000? Boo!
If you'd ask me after season 1 if I would ever be on Edith's side over Mary's, I would have thought you were crazy.
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:13 pm

Spoiler:
Since the seasons can come a number of years in the future, it could work out that she's been in mourning for a couple of years.
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily Rose on Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:23 pm

But it's already been like 10 years since the show started or something. If they jump ahead again then Mary will be 65 and look 25.

Lily Rose

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:44 pm

I don't think there will be any huge time jumps. I expect the end of the series to be all of Robert's attempts to save Downton brought to wrack and ruin on October 29, 1929. The theme of the series seems to be the end of an era - he gave us a season to enjoy pre-war Downton, but now we're watching the death rattles as Downton comes to terms with a post-war world. In the end, Downton can't be saved in any meaningful way.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Morning Angel on Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:19 pm

I'm not really happy about this development either, but I'm pretty sure I'm not going to like anything coming out of Matthew's demise.

Spoiler:
And yes, I wish Edith wasn't always getting the short end of the stick.  Indeed, I would rather have seen the love interest be for Edith.  However, I think it was fairly common at that time that a widow would try to remarry quickly.  However, Mary is independently wealthy, so she doesn't absolutely need a new suitor.

Last edited by Morning Angel on Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Morning Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  dionneshea on Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:02 pm

Did anybody tune in yesterday?  I faithfully acquired it as soon as it was available online.

There were a lot of things I liked. Thomas returning to his scheming ways, even  inadvertently doing some good for poor little Sybbie. Someone on tumblr mentioned that they could see Thomas and Sybbie have a similar relationship to Carson and Mary through the years, and I think I would like that. But as soon as Thomas smiled at Nanny West, you knew she was done for. Don't mess with Thomas.

Speaking of Mary and Carson, their scenes were very good.  She really went for the jugular when she told him he was being out of line. And then when she went to apologize, it was so very sweet.  Sometimes I wish he was her father and not that pill, Robert. Oh, my God, when Robert's explaining to Tom how much misery there is if you lose someone you really love?  Remember Sybil, Robert? You know, YOUR DAUGHTER?! Oy.

I'm very unhappy to see smirky Edna coming back, but I think she will be a good villainess - a worthy replacement of Mrs. O'Brien. However, could people please just listen to Mrs. Hughes when she's giving advice. She's right. Just go with it.

All-in-all, very happy that my show is back.

Last edited by dionneshea on Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
dionneshea

Back to top Go down

Post  xyzzy on Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:27 pm

I watched it.

I just dislike Mary so very much. She's egregiously narcissistic; when she was wondering aloud if all of her "softness" was something only Mathew saw or could bring out in here I was going "yep, you are, indeed, a stone-cold bitch." I feel sorry for her child(ren) already.

Robert. He is so ridiculously outclassed by his former driver in business acumen, common sense, and intelligence that it's almost embarrassing. Misogyny oozes from his pores--and let's not forget that he allowed classism to kill his youngest daughter. If it weren't for his affection for Pharaoh and Isis I would consider him sub-human. (I do give him a bit of a pass for not allowing Barrow to be imprisoned for his sexuality, however.)

As much as Barrow's behavior used to irritate me, I could understand where it came from and I did sympathize with him. It was nice to see his scheming come to a good end for once. His motivation may have been selfish, but I do think he sensed that the nanny was bad news and saw a quick way to be rid of her. I do quite like the idea of he and little Sybil becoming friends. Hopefully she's more deserving of such steadfast devotion than Mary.

Oh, Edith. I am envisioning a future where she and her husband are living in Germany when Hitler invades Poland.
xyzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  xyzzy on Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:18 pm

So it's been a couple weeks.

Unless I'm reading this wrong, I think we were treated to TWO sexual assaults in the most recent episode; one of the violent variety and one of the dubious consent variety. I think the actress who plays Anna did a fabulous job, but there's no way that I believe Fellowes' characterization of Mr. Bates for a single second in this episode. He's not so thick as to believe that his wife sustained bruising, a cut lip and forehead, and a sudden hatred for physical closeness because she hit her head on a sink. And even if he did, there's no freaking way he'd let her walk home alone while claiming to be dizzy and sporting these injuries. Blah.

Apparently Mary's new love interest is about to announce his engagement to someone else? Sounds.. familiar.

I would have liked to punch Robert in the face. He's in a position where he wants to sell land to pay taxes, but he'll gamble away the fortune on games of chance while lying to his wife's face the entire time. What a guy.
xyzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  dionneshea on Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:14 pm

Anna's rape was one of the most horrific things I've seen on TV. I'm not a fan of Bates, and didn't like him for any parts of this episode, but I did also think it was out-of-character for him to just let her walk off like that. However, I almost think it was done for the viewers' sake, because it would have been even harder to stomach watching her fend off his care in her state. I also found it odd that Mrs. Hughes would let Anna out of her sight that night.

I'm really hoping that what was implied happening with Branson and Edna did not actually happen. He was at least VERY drunk. They put in the implication that she could have spiked his drink which would mean he was drugged. I'm holding on to hope that she's just trying to trick him into thinking they slept together. But regardless, what's really bugging me is the fact that all I've seen in the press is people calling it a "doomed romance" or an affair. Which, NO. If someone has drugged the other person into sleeping with them, then it's a rape, not a romance.

Robert is just the dumbest. He really is. The only reason I still tolerate his presence is that the Dowager still scores points off of him regularly. He's an easy target.

I really want poor Isobel to find a reason to be happy again. She's breaking my heart.

dionneshea

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:20 pm

Poor Bates. His wife doesn't trust him not to murder her rapist.
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  xyzzy on Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:37 am

Yeah, that kind of bothers me.
xyzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:14 am

Well this just sounds like all kinds of fun. Can't wait!
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Morning Angel on Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:24 am

RiverThames wrote:Poor Bates.  His wife doesn't trust him not to murder her rapist.
I know! Yikes. The characterization of Bates is so wonky. I had very low expectations for Fellowes to handle such a difficult subject deftly, but so far, it hasn't made me want to throw my TV through the window so it's something. I thought it was going to end up being all about Bates' pain. At least, it has been slightly better than that.
Morning Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:38 am

Yeah, it's definitely not All About Bates.

And I'm not sure how I should feel about Barrow. He still seems slimy, but he engineered getting rid of the horrible nanny, and seemed to turn on Braithewaite on a dime, so... yay?
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dionneshea on Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:53 am

I still think it has been just as much about Bates as it has been about Anna which I do not like. I was also off-put by the fact that Bates has been such a pill (not that it's out of character - he's usually a pill) and chastising Anna for having fun and being friendly and then she gets raped. Like it almost had a cause and effect feel that I REALLY didn't like. I'm fairly certain Fellowes didn't do it intentionally, but the fact that it's there unintentionally is almost as bad. Don't have fun ladies, and always listen to your husbands, otherwise you'll get raped. Not on.

Also, I think Anna's concern is valid, because Bates does have that somewhat dark side to him, but I also think it's a way for her to validate her decision not to tell him to herself and to Mrs. Hughes.

As for Thomas, his characterization, unsavoury though he may be, is consistent. He can almost always tell which way the wind is blowing and manages to stay just a step ahead. I think because he's gay, it's a skill he must have developed over time. And he can always suss out an opportunity when it presents itself to him. He's a survivor.
dionneshea

Back to top Go down

Post  xyzzy on Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:18 am

I actually expected Braithewaite to stick around a lot longer, but I certainly wasn't disappointed to see her go.

Based on the nextweeklies it seems that Barrow is going to bring in a carbon copy of O'Brien to replace Braithewaite. And the thing with O'Brien ended so well for him.

I still think it has been just as much about Bates as it has been about Anna which I do not like.
I disagree with this a little bit. When someone in a relationship is sexually assaulted it does have an effect on the non-victimized partner. I think Bates' confusion and worry is appropriate, and the fact that he blames himself because he doesn't have all the facts also feels right to me. What doesn't feel right is his apparent inability to put 2 and 2 together.

Don't have fun ladies, and always listen to your husbands, otherwise you'll get raped.
This I completely agree with. I also don't think it was intentional on Fellowes' part, but it's difficult to escape that conclusion based on the way the narrative was presented. I would have preferred that the rape come completely out of the blue, if you know what I mean, without Bates' jealousy being an issue.
xyzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  dionneshea on Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:30 am

xyzzy wrote:
I still think it has been just as much about Bates as it has been about Anna which I do not like.
I disagree with this a little bit. When someone in a relationship is sexually assaulted it does have an effect on the non-victimized partner. I think Bates' confusion and worry is appropriate, and the fact that he blames himself because he doesn't have all the facts also feels right to me. What doesn't feel right is his apparent inability to put 2 and 2 together.
Actually, I agree. My "do not like" comes more from me just being over the Bates character as a whole rather than the fact that his side of the story is being told. I've been over him since last season and the unending jail saga and I've basically reached the point where I have no patience any time he's been given screen time. However, his point of view is something that should be seen in this story. I just don't want it to become about him and not about her.
dionneshea

Back to top Go down

Post  bbridges on Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:02 am

Edith is totally going to get pregnant, right?
bbridges

Back to top Go down

Post  dionneshea on Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:11 am

bbridges wrote:Edith is totally going to get pregnant, right?
Of course. And then someone (Gregson, the baby, the doctor, anyone really) will die. That's how Downton does. For every baby born, someone close to them must die.
dionneshea

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 19 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top