Downton Abbey (British version)

Page 18 of 19 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Go down

Downton Abbey (British version) - Page 18 Empty Re: Downton Abbey (British version)

Post  inversed on Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:34 am

I just watched the Christmas Special and other than the Sad Bateses are Sad storyline (which please god let it be over now) really enjoyed it. I remember thinking when Rose showed up that this was going to be a weak attempt at adding in new blood but she's just so charming and sweet that I'm glad she's there. And of course the best thing ever is Carson and Mrs. Hughes. I don't care how hokey it might be, I am 100% on board that ship. (Also can you imagine Carson trying to be passionate?)

inversed

Back to top Go down

Downton Abbey (British version) - Page 18 Empty Re: Downton Abbey (British version)

Post  alexdegenhardt on Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:02 pm

I liked the Christmas Special. My biggest problem is the merry-go-round with which Bates is accused of murder at any given point. Somehow Fellowes can't write anything interesting with the both of them. Any attempts result in Prison. I also like Rose a lot better than I originally thought I would. I was glad the wedding went ahead and wasn't stopped despite the shenanigans.
alexdegenhardt
alexdegenhardt

http://alexdegenhardt.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:40 pm

alexdegenhardt wrote:I liked the Christmas Special. My biggest problem is the merry-go-round with which Bates is accused of murder at any given point. Somehow Fellowes can't write anything interesting with the both of them. Any attempts result in Prison. I also like Rose a lot better than I originally thought I would. I was glad the wedding went ahead and wasn't stopped despite the shenanigans.

Yeah, I liked how when Rose's mother made her last-ditch attempt to sabotage, the mother of the groom was all, "Nope, nope, nope, wedding is happening, nope."

And I think a lot of credit goes to Lily James for taking a character who could be excruciating on paper and making her incredibly charming.
RiverThames
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Melk on Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:18 pm

I only just saw the Christmas special today. I loved it - especially Carson and Mrs Hughes. I'm so glad she just said yes there and then, I was dreading some absurd drawn out storyline where she took forever to make up her mind. And dear lord I hope they just leave Anna and Bates alone now. I cannot take any more of their interminably boring subplot.

I am absolutely on board with Matthew Goode's character as a potential love interest for Mary. When he leaped into his car and swept off dashingly she looked distinctly swoony.
Melk
Melk

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed on Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:10 am

Anyone else enjoying this season so far? If Lady Edith doesn't become a successful working mother I will be really sad.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  slmader on Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:39 am

I am loving it so far. I want Edith to be happy. I was weepy last night watching Mr. Carson and Mrs. Hughes get married. I think the battle between the Dowager Countess and Isabel is hilarious.

Last edited by slmader on Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

slmader

Back to top Go down

Post  dionneshea on Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:56 pm

I was saying last night, I think I'm cautiously optimistic that Fellowes will finally let Edith be happy. Bertie Pelham is cute and seems to dig her a lot, she's doing well with the magazine, she's got Marigold. Could everything finally come up Edith?

I'm enjoying the hospital story line a lot more than I thought I would. I do love seeing Violet and Isobel at odds.

Tom is back - hooray!

I want to love Daisy so much, but she keeps opening her mouth and ruining it. I have no problem with her wanting to change her circumstances, and I agree with her on most things, but she's so grating. That awful teacher was a terrible influence on her.
dionneshea
dionneshea

Back to top Go down

Post  Fraoch on Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:19 am

Thomas is killing me. He just wants a friend and a job!

Fraoch

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed on Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:23 am

I know, I can't believe I feel sorry for Thomas Barrow. But I do! I don't care about the hospital storyline actually, I prefer Violet and Isobel to be frenemies, not enemies. So happy Tom is back!

Daisy, omg, shut up please.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:00 pm

Is it me or has the actor who plays Tom look a little pudgy?
bookworm
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed on Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:29 am

Oh yeah, he's definitely gained some weight. All that fatty American food!

What is the endgame for Thomas here? I worry that he's going to kill himself.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:30 am

I had thought that the end of the series would be The Carsons retiring, Barrow taking over as butler (after some attitude adjustment), and Anna becoming housekeeper (or something like that). If the series ends with the Dowager Countess dead I will be very put out. She needs to out survive everyone based on sheer willpower.
bookworm
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  Morning Angel on Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:53 am

bookworm wrote:I had thought that the end of the series would be The Carsons retiring, Barrow taking over as butler (after some attitude adjustment), and Anna becoming housekeeper (or something like that).  If the series ends with the Dowager Countess dead I will be very put out.  She needs to out survive everyone based on sheer willpower.  

Fellowes is certainly enjoying making us think any character could drop dead at any second.  The dining scene this week was not wholly unexpected, but not quite what I had in mind.

Also, I really need for Edith to be happy; otherwise, I'll really be put out.

Last edited by Morning Angel on Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Because I hopefully don't put out, I'll just be put out.)
Morning Angel
Morning Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed on Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:01 am

I'm sure Julian Fellowes will be glad to hear that. ;)

Carson needs to learn a lesson about how to be a husband and not a butler. (The week after my uncle and aunt got married, she made him friend chicken. He said it was good but not as good as his mother's. They've been married over 30 years and she's never made him friend chicken again.)

Are Mrs Patmore and Mr Mason going to end up together? It would be super cheesy but also super sweet for Daisy's mom-figure and dad-figure to get married.

How much do I not care about this hospital thing any more?? I feel like every episode just rehashes the same plot points with slightly different characters.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  mialoubug on Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:13 pm

Carson needs to learn a lesson about how to be a husband and not a butler. (The week after my uncle and aunt got married, she made him friend chicken. He said it was good but not as good as his mother's. They've been married over 30 years and she's never made him friend chicken again.)

THIS was my husband. Only it was his ex's fried chicken. And yeah, have never, ever made it again, even when I was pregnant and craved it like whoa. We've been together 30 years as well.

Must be something about fried chicken.
mialoubug
mialoubug

Back to top Go down

Post  Morning Angel on Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:00 pm

inversed wrote:I'm sure Julian Fellowes will be glad to hear that. ;)

lol Dammit!  This is one expression where I shouldn't forget the "be".

You got "friend" chicken though so we're even. ;)

I really thought Carson had more sense than that though... Shut up, dude.
Morning Angel
Morning Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  xyzzy on Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:47 pm

I was actually somewhat surprised by the burst ulcer in the middle of dinner. You don't really expect a society show to involve spraying blood on the fine linens. I thought this storyline was going somewhere else entirely--Robert, suffering from stomach cancer, finds out that he could have lived longer if only his doctor's hospital facilities were more updated. So I'm sort of glad it didn't go that way.

I can't even imagine what Mary's reaction will be upon learning Marigold's true origins. It disturbs me that Barrow has a bigger heart than Mary. I figure it's going to go one of two ways--"Edith, you tramp, my child shall not be sharing the nursery with your slut baby." or "My darling Edith, I am so glad to find out that in this way I shall be forever superior to you--I only kill my lovers, I don't get impregnated by them."
xyzzy
xyzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:04 pm

I thought it was interesting how everyone had a little bit of blood on them. It really showed how gory it was.
bookworm
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed on Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:51 am

Maybe I'm being overly optimistic but I think this might be Mary's opportunity to show that she can be a decent human being to Edith. My reading of her reaction was more "Woah, why would everyone keep something so huge from me? Do they really think I'm that mean of a person?" Given Mary's own indiscretions, her slut-shaming Edith would be Trump-level hypocrisy.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  Morning Angel on Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:04 am

Poor, poor Edith. The storyline with Edith and Mary made me cry so. Edith ALWAYS gets screwed over. I had a hard time rejoicing for Mary in this context.

Poor Barrow; that story went where I expected it to, but I hope he gets a slightly better outcome during the Xmas episode, which will be the real finale of the show.
Morning Angel
Morning Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  dionneshea on Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:34 am

I did not like it. Edith should have told Bertie the truth, but I actually believe she would have before they got married. Mary was such an utter bitch in this episode, and then she gets her happy ending. Like, what? And I LOVE Matthew Goode, but I never felt even the slightest spark of chemistry between Henry and Mary so everyone going on and on about how they love each other was mystifying to me, because I never saw even a hit of it. Ending on their marriage was perplexing to me. And did they ever address her huge concern with his occupation and how it terrifies her?

And while I love Mary (honestly, I do), Tom telling her that she was a coward just like all bullies are was VERY satisfying.

Poor Thomas indeed. While it seemed like he was going that way for weeks, now, the actual outcome seemed so rushed. I'm hoping in the Xmas episode, Bertie comes back and makes Edith a marchioness and they take Thomas to be their butler.
dionneshea
dionneshea

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:23 pm

I think Barrow is going to become the Dowager Countess' butler now that Spratt is an Agony Aunt writer.

I had a hard time feeling happy for Mary because of Edith. Julian Fellows better have Bertie come back and beg for her back or I will be extremely upset.
bookworm
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  dionneshea on Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:16 pm

bookworm wrote:I think Barrow is going to become the Dowager Countess' butler now that Spratt is an Agony Aunt writer.  
Oh, of course! And Denker and Barrow in the same household? DELICIOUS. They'd need to have a spin-off with just them.
dionneshea
dionneshea

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed on Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:11 pm

I AM SO PISSED RIGHT NOW. Mary is a huge, selfish, hateful bitch and gets a happy ending anyway?? What is this bullshit? And Edith just gets to stare wistfully at the children? COME. ON. If this doesn't get sorted out in the Christmas special I am going to be REALLY PUT OUT.

(And Barrow's suicide attempt is barely a footnote? I really want to see some kindness toward Thomas from someone other than Mary Fucking Crawley.)

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  slmader on Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:04 pm

inversed wrote:I AM SO PISSED RIGHT NOW. Mary is a huge, selfish, hateful bitch and gets a happy ending anyway?? What is this bullshit? And Edith just gets to stare wistfully at the children? COME. ON. If this doesn't get sorted out in the Christmas special I am going to be REALLY PUT OUT.

(And Barrow's suicide attempt is barely a footnote? I really want to see some kindness toward Thomas from someone other than Mary Fucking Crawley.)

THIS.

I really want Edith to marry Bertie, not just because I want her to be happy but because I want Mary to have to curtsy to her.

slmader

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 19 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19  Next