Downton Abbey (British version)

Page 4 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11 ... 19  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Downton Abbey (British version)

Post  BreezyK on Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:44 am

On the other hand with a second hand report she sent a letter to grieving strangers that had the potential to ruin Mary's reputation in "appropriate" society and worst case scenario tarnish the entire family with mucking the waters of a well-connected foreign nationals death.

And it's STILL having an impact, even two years later. Ugh, I really hate Edith. If it weren't for her big mouth, Mr. Bates would still be around. Also, that poor farmer's wife. To me, Edith is so much more selfish and shallow than the other 2 sisters - I hated how she laughed at Mary praying. We've also never seen her be a bit kind to any of the servants, unlike Mary and Sybil.

BreezyK

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:23 pm

I don't think shes shallow so much so that shes deeply embittered. I don't particularly like Edith as a person but the second season did give me sympathy for her and I think the actress does a good job. I got Anna too.

Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  mrinsouciance on Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:06 pm

inversed wrote:Which Downton Abbey character are you?

It says I'm Matthew Crawley. Cue the theme to The Jeffersons!

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:10 pm

I think Edith had a bit of middle child syndrome that she never got the chance to grow out of. Mary is the oldest and is good looking and can be quick with a snide rejoinder when provoked. Sybil was the youngest who was indulged in her 'odd' notions because aww, isn't she an adorable young girl. I reckon Edith felt a bit lost, was beyond peeved that the guy she liked was being thrown in Mary's direction (Mary who seems to get everything she wants) and wasn't able to one-up Mary in any way.
Because aside from getting married, there wasn't much else for Edith to do and I think that factored into her decision to send the letter. That now, the world would know that Mary wasn't so perfect and not so deserving of everything she got simply because she was the first born.

I know the show gets slated for being a glorified soap opera but I think it's strengths lie in the fact that the characters are pretty well defined so you follow them through the journey and there's always plenty to discuss about them. And that's why it's getting the ratings.

Rock on, Julian Fellowes! Rock on!

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 on Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:31 pm

inversed wrote:
Also, did they actually have intercourse? Mr. Pamuk said "You can still be a virgin for your husband on your wedding night" which makes me think they just got up to other shenanigans. Not that it changes THE SHAME OF IT ALL but still. (I also love the "MR PAMUK, MY LOVER" comments from Mary.)
I figured they just got up to shenanigans as well. In fact, while giving my husband the first season rundown before Sunday's episode started, I told him that,
Spoiler:
Mary fell victim to the "baby Jeebus won't cry if you enter through the back door" ploy, heh.
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  mialoubug on Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:28 pm

I've wondered this myself. I thought her shame was mostly in his being in her room at all, never mind naked in her bed. Was he really her lover or did he die just short of it and she's paying for that shame alone?
mialoubug

Back to top Go down

Post  Tabby on Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:05 pm

I think Edith had a bit of middle child syndrome that she never got the chance to grow out of.
Even her parents don't think much of her. There was that scene between Lord and Lady Grantham where they said that Edith would be the one who'd be stuck at home, taking care of them in their old age.

I took the character quiz twice, because there were a couple of questions where I waffled between two answers, and got Robert, Earl of Grantham both times. Which is kind of hilarious.
Tabby

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup on Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:11 pm

I got the Earl too, and the quiz helpfully points out that that means I am a stick in the mud or some such.

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear on Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:29 pm

I got Misteh Behhhhhts (love whoever came up with that). Lame.
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian on Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:27 am

mrinsouciance wrote:
inversed wrote:Which Downton Abbey character are you?

It says I'm Matthew Crawley. Cue the theme to The Jeffersons!

Me, too! I love the first line. "Congratulations, you're the heir to Downton Abbey!"

I got Misteh Behhhhhts (love whoever came up with that).
So do I. I was talking about the show with my dad tonight and could not stop pronouncing Bates' name that way. That's exactly how Anna says it! Every time! I'll be disappointed if she ever takes him up on his offer to call him John.

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  Shadowlass on Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:23 pm

Kiran wrote:I don't think shes shallow so much so that shes deeply embittered.

Yes, exactly. She wants love/praise deeply, and never gets it. She's not shallow (I think Mary easily wins the "shallow" competition), but she's so desperately needy for attention that nothing else matters to her.

I can't stand her, but I do feel for her.

Shadowlass

Back to top Go down

Post  harvey the penguin on Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:56 pm

I got Violet! I'm awesome, apparently!
harvey the penguin

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:16 am

Me too, holla! I changed a few answers that I was doubtful about, and then I got Robert, but I am for sure the dowager countess. My Downton viewing party all got different answers (Violet, Robert, Matthew, Sibyl, and Anna) and they fit us pretty perfectly.
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear on Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:17 am

Tonight's episode was a FESTIVAL of bad decision-making. Our Sunday Night X-Files Club watched together and we were SCREAMING at the TV for someone to stop Branson. We were so sure he was going to kill the general at dinner. Also, Lord Grantham's sweet doggie gets a name....Isis!
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed on Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:44 am

Bates, seriously, didn't you learn your lesson about declaring your plans for the future with Anna? OF COURSE that's not how it's going to happen! My sister thinks that somehow Richard Carlyle is going to get involved in Vera's attempted scandal-making.

I was literally on the edge of my seat when Branson was getting ready to serve the General. I was yelling at the TV, "Stop getting second opinions, just go STOP HIM!"

I was really happy for Edith that she finally got some recognition. I hope that she'll start being a better person now that she has something to do. Just don't try to have an affair with a married soldier (though it looks like Ethel's going to have that covered). I also liked how both Isobel and Cora were like, "I'M gonna get the special recognition, bitch. Wait, what?" Elizabeth McGovern is the queen of the stink-eye.

I'm confused about O'Brien now... she seems to genuinely want to protect Her Ladyship, but she's also so incredibly manipulative with her. And then she's so kind to Lang. (Oh god, poor Lang.) I am really starting to like her character now that she's more than just Thomas' Evil Partner.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  mrinsouciance on Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:22 pm

inversed wrote:I was literally on the edge of my seat when Branson was getting ready to serve the General. I was yelling at the TV, "Stop getting second opinions, just go STOP HIM!"

Ha! Yes, that was annoying, wasn't it? I thought perhaps they'd run it by Daisy, before they finally did something.

Looks like Isabel gets spanked down by Cora based on next week's previews.

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian on Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:27 am

Looks like Isabel gets spanked down by Cora based on next week's previews.
And Lord (or Lady!), does she need it. I like Isobel, and I love watching her and the Dowager Countess politely bicker with each other, but dude. All during this episode, I was like, "Bitch, this ain't your house! Maybe throw a please in there every once in a while!"

Merciful Zeus, Branson. Way to almost give me a big damn heart attack. Lady Sybil is probably pretty unlikely to run away with a guy who keeps getting himself thrown in prison on purpose. But way to not commit premeditated murder!

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  Francie Nolan on Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:16 pm

I was confused over Lavinia Swire--such a fab name--and the Marconi scandal. By the looks of her in 1917 (we are in 1917, aren't we?), she would've been about 14 when it occurred--a bit young to be Sir Richard CarLISLE's lover. (Why is Mary the only one who pronounces it that way?).

Branson the Angry Irishman had me worried for a minute. I knew they'd work in the Easter Rising somehow. Also, seriously, if you think someone is going to assassinate someone else, just go and stop the suspected assassin. Do not pause to share this gossip with your colleagues. There will be plenty of time for that later.

Poor William is such a goner. Has his girl's picture on him? Check. Only child to a recently widowed father? Check. Naively eager to join up to fight for his country? Check. Given a position with Matthew so he'll be "safe"? We have us a war movie bingo!

Francie Nolan

Back to top Go down

Post  mrinsouciance on Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:32 am

Plus his massive chin will make an inviting target for the enemy.

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  choubetcha on Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:35 am

I was literally on the edge of my seat when Branson was getting ready to serve the General. I was yelling at the TV, "Stop getting second opinions, just go STOP HIM!"

Ha, I know. Did we really have to stop for each new person to read it? Couldn't just summarize on the run? "Branson's going to kill someone!" doesn't take very long to say.

While I like the idea of Lang's plot, addressing shellshock and humanizing O'Brien a little, I think maybe the actor just doesn't do it for me. I always feel like I should be liking it more than I am.

choubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:44 am

By the looks of her in 1917 (we are in 1917, aren't we?), she would've been about 14 when it occurred--a bit young to be Sir Richard CarLISLE's lover.

I most likely missed her current age being mentioned, but given the time 14 wouldn't be too young for her to be seen as his lover, particularly because her father was "merely" a solicitor and so she might have been seen as a temptress.
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  dday515 on Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:29 am

Sh!t the Dowager Countess Says

dday515

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed on Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:00 pm

I assume there are clips from Season Two? I doubt it would spoil too much but I also don't want to deprive myself of the delight of hearing her deliver the lines in context!

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:18 pm

Francie Nolan wrote:Branson the Angry Irishman had me worried for a minute. I knew they'd work in the Easter Rising somehow.
So is this what he was talking about, in reference to his brother being killed? I didn't get that at all.

This wasn't my favorite episode, because I felt like things are becoming less subtle. The dialogue was too pointed and the characters' actions are becoming too broad. I mean, Cora and Isobel aren't even pretending to be civil at this point. I know tensions are heightened, but I guess I find it more interesting to see the minute adjustments everyone makes to advance their positions instead of just outright cattiness.
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:26 am

I suspect that poor William will be coming home blind or missing a limb or otherwise damaged and unfit for work at Downton, thus causing Daisy to be compelled to marry him out of pity. Much more drama to be mined that way.
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11 ... 19  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top