Harry Potter (Spoilers)

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Harry Potter (Spoilers)

Post  PineappleGirl on Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:06 pm

Yeah, Book 4 came out the summer after my freshman year of high school and was a HUGE deal for me. I remember I was at camp and camp ended like three days after the book came out and my mom brought it when she picked me up and I basically started reading before I even gave her a hug hello. I had been devastated that I couldn't read it the day it came out. I wasn't the only kid at camp chomping at the bit to read Goblet of Fire, either, so I think it was a pretty big deal.

Each release after that got bigger, though - that three year wait for Order of the Phoenix was a killer. And I think that's one reason why the releases got to be a bigger and bigger deal . . . waiting for years meant that even more people had time to catch up on the novels in between new releases.

(ETA: Wikipedia tells me that the first three books were released in the US in quick succession between Sept 1998 and Sept 1999. So the wait to July 2000 was a long one for kids like me who got the first three for Christmas and read them in like a week.)
PineappleGirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle on Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:23 pm

I thought Edmund's torch was a stick with a light bulb at the end and it looked like an actual torch. It wasn't until years later that I realized Edmund was using a flashlight.
Hah, me too! Though I learned what it actually was because I thought the idea of an electric torch was cool enough that I tried to ask for one for my birthday. My dad was like, that's what they call flashlights in England and you already have a nice one that does different colors.

I WAS in that 10-15 range back then, and ITA it was a slow burn through PoA, and big enough by the fourth one that midnight release parties suddenly seemed like a great idea. The build-up to the fourth one was crazy, especially with the reveal that somebody was gonna die! I remember a lot of people being pretty disappointed it was only Cedric Diggory, because a lot speculation was that Ron or Hermione or Dumbledore would bite it. (I personally expected it to be Dumbledore, because Obi-Wan died in the first Star Wars movie and they were basically serving the same role. I guess I was eventually right.)

The movies made it even bigger--as big as the book series was, there were still a ton of people who didn't get into Harry Potter until it made the screen. The fact that TWO movies came out in the years-long wait for the fifth book made things really intense.

(I was also away at camp--not for the fourth one, but the fifth and sixth. My parents bought OotP at the local bookstore and shipped it to me, and the only reason I wasn't dying in anticipation is because I was on an extended backpacking trip when it came out. I ordered the sixth one myself from Amazon, as that meant I'd get on the exact day of release--my desire to support local independent business isn't as strong as my impatience. I was working for the camp at that point, and the girl who sorted the mail admitted she almost stole my book when she saw the box with "WHO IS THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE?" on it. In both cases I made myself very popular by loaning my copy out when I was done.)
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:29 pm

PineappleGirl wrote:Each release after that got bigger, though - that three year wait for Order of the Phoenix was a killer. And I think that's one reason why the releases got to be a bigger and bigger deal . . . waiting for years meant that even more people had time to catch up on the novels in between new releases.

(ETA: Wikipedia tells me that the first three books were released in the US in quick succession between Sept 1998 and Sept 1999. So the wait to July 2000 was a long one for kids like me who got the first three for Christmas and read them in like a week.)
Yep, that was me. I would argue that HP was a Big Deal by GoF, but didn't become Huge until OotP. The summer GoF came out, only one of my friends had read the books. (I was a freshman in college that year, which might have something to do with it.) She and I went to the Midnight Release party at the Mall of America, and I think that was the only place in Minneapolis hosting a party that year, and while there were probably 500 people there, I'm sure the numbers were in the thousands for subsequent books.

When OotP came out, it seemed like most malls in the area had midnight release parties. By HBP, I would say it went from Huge to Insane, with the "Snape Kills Dumbledore" spoiler trolls and basically every bookstore having release parties.
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  snorf on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:32 pm

When do you guys think the tipping point from popular series to insanely popular series was?

I've always wondered how much a role the internet fandom played in it. I have nothing scientific to base this theory on, but I've always thought HP wouldn't have been so big without the 'net. Fan pages like The-Leaky-Cauldron.org or Mugglenet made their owners almost as famous in the fandom so it was like a free publicity tour/ prep rally in between the waits. It was like a global bookclub - and then the shipping wars started!

I was a lifeguard at Camp for the 5th, and 6th one. Arrived in NY after a flight from Australia THE DAY the Order of Pheonix was released and made the Camp director (who was also a friend) drive to Walmart so I could get it. No WAY was I going 3 months without that book!

snorf

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:29 pm

I also had the impression that Goblet of Fire was what kicked the popularity up several notches. I don't know how much of that impression is based on my experience with the book, though. I was a senior in high school when the movie first came out and had little interest in it, but my boyfriend at the time was a fan of the books and wanted to see it, and I wound up moderately enjoying it. My mom then decided to buy the first four books for six-year-old brother for Christmas. I was bored one weekend and started reading the series, and wound up devouring them all within a week.

Also, GoF is the SHIT GOT REAL book - character death (not a major character, but Harry's classmate dying is still a big deal), Voldemort returns, beginning of new wizarding war. So I got the sense that when shit got real in the book, shit got real in the fandom as well, and widespread popularity was partially born from that.
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  vwlphb on Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:08 pm

All this has made me nostalgic for the books, then someone linked me to this video. I got teary pretty much immediately. I defy you not to get at least a little choked up watching it.

vwlphb

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken on Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:48 pm

Hogwarts recreated with LEGO. The level of detail is breathtaking.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:08 pm

It's absolutely amazing. The last picture with the woman in it shows the scale of it - indeed breathtaking. I saw them yesterday and spent so much time examining each picture looking at all the detail.

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:34 pm

That's incredible! I love it.
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:37 pm

That's just...wow.

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Author By Night on Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:53 am

UmaOprah wrote:Oh, I don't disagree. In fact, I wholeheartedly agree. I wish they hadn't changed anything to begin with. I just never understood why they decided to start using British terms if they were so bent on keeping it American. I guess it's a good thing that the publishers thought we could handle a little culture and vocabulary at that point...

I distinctly remember seeing "trainers" in the sixth book. Harry was under his invisibility cloak and I think he thought Draco saw his white trainers or something. But in the first book, Harry could see Ron's sneakers underneath his robes because they were too short for him. And Ron's mom definitely made them sweaters for Christmas in the first book.

When I re-read the first book and Hagrid was calling himself "Mommy", I actually assumed at first that "Mommy" was part of his accent until I remembered the first book had been "translated" into American English.

I think translating was a little silly, and I'm glad it stopped. Changing "Philosopher's Stone" to "Sorcerer's Stone" was just ridiculous - at least I can kind of understand the trainers/sneakers thing. But surely American children aren't too stupid to wrap their heads around the word Philosopher?

queenofdenile wrote:
Also, GoF is the SHIT GOT REAL book - character death (not a major character, but Harry's classmate dying is still a big deal), Voldemort returns, beginning of new wizarding war. So I got the sense that when shit got real in the book, shit got real in the fandom as well, and widespread popularity was partially born from that.

I agree with this. I think PoA was close to being "shit got real" for me - before that, I was a fan of the books, but more because I thought they were cute with some dark parts. Then we have a book where Dumbledore can't really save the day - he saved Sirius's soul, literally, but Sirius was still on the run, and the only consolation was that Harry could at least communicate with him. So I took the books a bit more seriously after that. And then of course even before GoF was released, the talk was that the book had a death and things were even darker, which I think piqued a lot of people's interest.

Author By Night

http://author-by-night.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Arabella on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:19 pm

Every time this thread is bumped up I wonder if JKR has announced a prequel or another HP related book.

When the New York Times created that children's bestseller list to placate all the authors/critics upset the hardcover fiction list was being dominated by HP books, that's when I knew how massive the series was. I think it was just before GoF was published.

Arabella

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:04 pm

I remember the year Harry Potter was nominated for one of the big book prizes, I think it was the Booker prize and apparently, it came out afterwards that there were very heated discussions amongst the judges about whether Harry Potter should even have been up for the award, much less actually get it. It was a very controversial choice that year and didn't win. I think I remember something about a couple of the judges threatening to quit their position if the book won because it was a children's book and therefore not worthy of winning.

My google-fu is failing me so I can't find what year it was or what book it was either.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  Arabella on Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:31 am

Arabella

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:03 am

That's going to be a depressing ass play! I mean I am sure it will have charm and humor but still depressing!
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:48 am

(according to a statement sent to me, as a mudblood, by Owl Post yesterday)
Figures that the Daily Mail would choose the bigot's word for 'muggle' in their article.

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:35 am

I don't think I've ever seen a child performer - stage or screen - that could deliver the "it" needed to be the main character of a show like this. Because whoever plays Harry is going to have to carry the play, and... no. I don't think it can be done in any satisfying way.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Author By Night on Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:19 pm

This isn't a slight against JKR, she can do whatever she wants, but I sure wish she'd just publish another HP related book!

I can see the concern about someone not being able to carry Harry's misery, but hopefully they choose someone familiar with the books, at least. It's definitely a valid concern though, because even with JK Rowling writing it, so much will depend on the directors, the cast, etc.

Author By Night

Back to top Go down

Post  BreezyK on Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:21 pm

The Toast has discovered the "Ron is Dumbledore" theory and Mallory's reaction is glorious

BreezyK

Back to top Go down

Post  Francie Nolan on Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:59 pm

BreezyK wrote:The Toast has discovered the "Ron is Dumbledore" theory and Mallory's reaction is

God, that post made me so nostalgic.  I was never active in the fandom, but I lurked at HP for Grownups for years.  DumbleRon was my favorite crackpot theory (marooned in time!).  Wasn't there an Evil Lupin theory that used to always get trotted out, too?  

Now I'm reading the comments on The Toast--I'd almost forgotten about the Harmonians!

Francie Nolan

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynara on Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:43 pm

I totally forgot about the Deep Meaningful Socks portion of this theory until just now.

Cynara

Back to top Go down

Post  Author By Night on Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:53 pm

I was in the fandom pretty deep from the beginning, entering right before the fourth book (I got the date wrong and thought it was being released June 8, so I had a month to stew and theorize with people - no, I didn't have a life in high school), and I remember the Ron-is-Dumbledore theory. There was another one that Hermione was McGonagall. I never really bought any of them, but they were entertaining. People also said that Dumbledore and Harry were the same person. Actually... I vaguely remember some quote from OoTP being released where DD's about to tell Harry something, and some fans said he was going to finish the sentence with "I am you."

I also remember HPfGU... I almost joined but couldn't get into it.

Author By Night

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:01 pm

JK Rowling gets bored and decides to stir the shit and make fandom weep

Okay, she's not doing any of that but it seems she gave an interview to Emma Watson for Wonderland and the Sunday Times is reporting that she spoke about regretting her decision to put Ron and Hermione together.

The Harmonians are probably creating banners about how they were right, as we speak.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:39 pm

Heeeeee. Oh that is wonderful. The only problem is, the Harmonians are probably old enough now that they won't go nuts the way they might have seven years ago.

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  SNeaker on Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:46 pm

Jo, I love you, but stop talking. Please.

SNeaker

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top