Harry Potter (Spoilers)

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Harry Potter (Spoilers)

Post  big chicken on Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:30 pm

I liked the DumbleRonner's reaction to JKR debunking their theory too. They were happy she'd taken the time to read their theory and left it at that. No furious essays on how JKR was trying to misdirect the fandom or proclamations on how JKR DumbleRon had been written even if JKR hadn't meant to write it or how she had missed her chance at literary greatness by not going with DumbleRon.

Did anyone ever write a DumbleRon fic? Because I'd like to read it if it's decent.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  roly on Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:19 pm

The "marooned in time" part of the theory is what snapped me out of buying into it when I read it. They almost had me, but that one piece of "evidence" was so hysterically dumb that I decided it invalidated everything else.

I remember being petrified that Ron was going to be the big death in HBP, but once he survived that book, I figured he was safe. I didn't think JKR would spend six books setting up his relationship with Hermione only to kill him in the last book. Speaking of which, I'm guessing the Harmoanians are super bitter about how close they came to having one of their main obstacles eliminated!

roly

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:27 pm

What I found most hilarious about the Harmonians was that, even though they had pages and pages of theories about why H/Hr would work because of symbolism and partnership and whatnot, they neglected the one key ingredient that a romantic couple has to have: actually being into each other. They had less to go on than Buffy/Xander shippers - at least that ship had one-sided interest from one character. But when Hermione shows up at a dance all glammed up and pretty, and Harry still spends the entire dance wishing he was with Cho Chang, how can you think it has any hope of happening?

That's not to say someone's automatically wrong or crazy to ship H/Hr - I've liked couples "in theory" that had no chance of happening in canon simply because I liked the idea of it (River/Mal in Firefly, anyone?) It's the entitlement from that particular sect of shippers that just baffles me and makes me laugh. The closest piece of canon they have is the fact that the guy who played Harry in A Very Potter Musical wrote "Granger Danger."
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  roly on Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:51 pm

Well I think the movies fanned the flames a lot, too. Didn't I read (on Snarkfest, I think) that Steve Kloves thought JKR was heading toward H/Hr and she had to tell him it wasn't going to happen? Or did I make that up? And even if his scripts hadn't played around with the idea, Emma Watson and Dan Radcliffe had better on-screen chemistry than she and Rupert Grint did so it never surprised me when people who'd seen the films but not read the books thought there was potential for the two of them to get together.

The Harmoanians who were solely using textual evidence to prove their theory, however, were really reaching.

roly

Back to top Go down

Post  Evil Lincoln on Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:16 pm

Seriously. Unless I'm forgetting something, the only thing Harry ever said about Hermione that could be construed as him having any kind of romantic thought about her was an offhand, "I don't think you're ugly." in Order of the Phoenix. Hardly the kind of thing you start planning wedding invitations over. Until Deathly Hallows, he always ended up somewhat annoyed with her when they were alone together because she wasn't Ron.

Evil Lincoln

Back to top Go down

Post  PrincessCleo on Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:52 pm

Yeah, I could even see arguing that the movies were going to have the ships end up differently. But in the books... it's just not there. If you were going to tinhat any unstated couple, I would have said Harry/Luna would have been the next most likely after Ginny and Cho. So yeah, apparently there was a Stop Trying to Make Fetch Happen conversation.
PrincessCleo
Admin

http://http;//cleolinda.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Evil Lincoln on Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:06 pm

Aw, I'm sad Harry/Luna never happened, but I love Luna so much that fangirl bias is probably coloring my opinion on the whole thing. I don't think it would have been True Love or anything, but I liked that Harry seemed to "get" her, and when he didn't he wasn't mean or judgy like everyone else. It would have been a nice interlude between the car crash of Cho and the finality of Ginny. But there wasn't really any time for it, and I think JKR was probably very conscious about not making Harry into a stud who gets all the ladies. That wasn't him, and romance is hardly the point of the series.

Evil Lincoln

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell on Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:36 pm

I was amused by drunk Harry Potter.
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  mialoubug on Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:17 pm

I couldn't think of where else to put this. To say I'm excited is an understatement.
mialoubug

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken on Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:22 pm

I was just about to post that. I don't know why people are surprised she's not publishing with Scholastic. Scholastic doesn't do adult books. Not publishing with Bloomsbury, on the other hand, does surprise me. But Little, Brown probably offered her a better deal or she just wanted a clean break from HP in terms of publishing.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  MLIS on Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:01 pm

Well, that explains why JK Rowling was trending on Twitter when I looked earlier. Glad to know it's not because she had a horrible accident or something!

I'm very intrigued by the idea of a new book from her.

MLIS

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:56 pm

mialoubug wrote:I couldn't think of where else to put this. To say I'm excited is an understatement.
Time to make a "The Works of JK Rowling" thread? Or should we just change the name of this thread?

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Shadowlass on Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:03 pm

I'm so excited!

Shadowlass

Back to top Go down

Post  Wildog27 on Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:08 pm

'Harry Potter' ebooks finally available for all major e-readers at Pottermore.com

http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/27/2905753/harry-potter-ebooks-available-kindle-nook-google-play-pottermore

Wildog27

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:15 pm

My excitement at the prospect was quashed completely by the fact that the UK editions are not available for purchase in the US.

What the hell, Jo?
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:32 pm

Just have a UK friend buy it and send it to you.

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:35 pm

Don't think you can do that with the Kindle edition.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:48 pm

Supposedly they aren't copy protected, so I would think you could copy the file on your computer and send it that way, same as any other unprotected book.

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:59 pm

I can't speak to that - it's just stupid that she's not making it available straight off. I can't be the only American who'd like to read "The Philosopher's Stone" instead of "Sorcerer's".
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Arabella on Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:52 pm

I'm in the US and got a cheap paperback of Philosopher's Stone via Canadian Amazon. I hope the ebook option works out for you though.

Arabella

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:55 pm

It's not about getting it - I know I can get it. I could probably take a daytrip up to BC and buy it if I just wanted a hardcopy of it.

What I don't understand is why JKR would limit digital distribution like that. She owns the rights to the digital editions free and clear - she doesn't have to cowtow to any publishers when it comes to distributing these books. So why not make the books available in any language from any country? It's not like it costs any extra to make the files that already exist available in different markets.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Arabella on Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:08 pm

Are the publishers really not involved with the ebook distribution? I really don't know how that works but the ebooks are being sold with the same Scholastic covers from the print editions so I figured all the same proprietorial issues were at play.

Arabella

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:44 pm

I'm not sure what the deal is with the covers, and maybe they are involved in some way. But the rights are held by JKR - she held onto them and held off doing digital editions until she could do them herself via Pottermore. So the existing contracts and the resulting editorial changes have no bearing on how the eBooks are being handled.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken on Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:32 pm

Someone has figured out a way to get the UK version if you're in the US.. It involves having to two e-mail accounts and creating two Pottermore accounts.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:41 pm

Thanks. I'll have to give that a try.

ETA: Woot! It worked!
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down