Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

eBooks and eReaders

+47
Matinee
mokey75
mialoubug
Lurker
bbridges
Raksha
allochthonous
Gallifrey Girl
Unlucky Bear
laddical
choubetcha
MaddyCat
Gilraen
mortalmax
EggSpreader
Kookla
boutros boutros kitty
Simbelmyne
Renny Sue
gannetguts
Gillian
nikita
GeneralErin
Cynara
punkysdilemma
vwlphb
UmaOprah
Corellderaan
Jude
lil d
Instant Monkeys
jstilwe
rivki8699
tothemax
big chicken
Jasmine
paablish
Lily Rose
SelfAmused
Swarley
Algae
punzy
alexdegenhardt
philophobe
particle_person
maxell131313
truecrystal
51 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

eBooks and eReaders Empty eBooks and eReaders

Post  truecrystal Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:54 pm

So I have a gen 2 Kindle that I LOVE, but damn that Kindle Fire is tempting me. It just seems like the perfect tablet for folks like me who don't need a lot of bells and whistles but still want something shiny.

Since it's 2 weeks until delivery of the Fire, I'd like to know if anyone's ordered one and, more importantly, I want all the details when it arrives!

truecrystal

Back to top Go down

eBooks and eReaders Empty Re: eBooks and eReaders

Post  maxell131313 Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:17 pm

And which do people prefer? The Nook or the Kindle? Or just get an iPad? I'd like to get one, but I'm still an old fogey when it comes to books.
maxell131313
maxell131313

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:25 am

I've found I read on the iPad 90% of the time. The 10% exception is usually when I read outdoors when I'm on vacation, because the e-ink on my 2nd gen Kindle is visible in sunlight but the iPad screen isn't.
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  philophobe Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:23 am

I love my Kindle. I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 tablet but I still don't read on anything but my Kindle because it's just so nice to rest my eyes since I'm on a backlit screen the rest of the time. However, I preorded a Kindle Fire immediately because a 7 inch tablet would be great to throw in my purse more easily. I love gadgets.

philophobe

Back to top Go down

Post  alexdegenhardt Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:22 am

I have my Kindle Gen. 3 since August and I love it. I read more books now that I have over 200 constantly at my disposal. And I find the text to speech feature really cool. It can't really replace the experience of an audiobook, but it's handy when you have to do the dishes but want to keep reading.
alexdegenhardt
alexdegenhardt

http://alexdegenhardt.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:26 am

I have a first generation nook and I love it. So much. I don't like reading from an LCD screen, and it is light enough that I can hold it with one hand.

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Algae Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:45 am

I love my second generation Kindle. It goes with me everywhere. I am tempted by the Kindle Fire, though. There's a raffle at work to win one and I think I'll get a ticket. Winning that would make my day.
Algae
Algae

Back to top Go down

Post  Swarley Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:34 pm

I love my Kindle. It's my favorite gadget. I take it everywhere with me. Well, I used to take it. I just passed it down to my mother because I'm waiting on my Kindle Fire. Which my mother tells me is actually a Christmas gift but we'll see about that. I don't know if I can hold out that long. And reading from Kindle on my PC is just not cutting it.

Swarley

Back to top Go down

Post  SelfAmused Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:03 pm

Nook person here. Old-school Nook, not NookColor, and I love it. It's not the perfect device (web-browsing is a chore on it), but it's awesome for just plain reading.

SelfAmused

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily Rose Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:39 pm

I have an original Nook, also, and love it. Loooove it. But that does not stop me from wanting a Nook Color or a Kindle Fire to play with.

Lily Rose

Back to top Go down

Post  paablish Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:53 pm

I broke my Kindle this Monday (apparently throwing your Kindle and a bottle of wine in your bag together results in bad things). So, I called the Amazon help people on Tuesday and they are sending me a replacement and paying for everything including international shipping and customs charges! So much happiness. And even though I have real books to read I miss being able to read off my Kindle.

paablish

Back to top Go down

Post  philophobe Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:51 am

If you have a prime membership amazon has started a lending library. I have not figured out how to link here yet though. But 5000 books that you can borrow for free for the Kindle. I am horribly excited.

philophobe

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasmine Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:09 am

I've been getting a lot of eye strain from screens lately, and man, I can feel the relief in my eyes when I switch to my Kindle. The Fire seems great, but I love the eInk so much.

Also, I really really love being able to increase the text size, so I can read in bed without glasses on.

Jasmine

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:00 am

One day I hope they will make screens that work based on light interference, the way peacock feathers and opals get their colors. You alternate two materials in stripes where the width of the stripe is near the wavelength of the incoming light. Then the reflection is brightly colored, as with the peacock feathers. The reason this would be awesome is that it would work with reflected light, so the screen could have bright color, but with all the advantages of e-ink (long battery life, no glare, works in daylight). Sooner or later this will happen, and it's going to be awesome.
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Swarley Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:48 pm

philophobe wrote:If you have a prime membership amazon has started a lending library. I have not figured out how to link here yet though. But 5000 books that you can borrow for free for the Kindle. I am horribly excited.

This totally just made my day. I have a Prime membership and a Kindle so YAY! FREE BOOKS! I love that there's no limit on borrowing time either. I wonder if the Kindle just deleted the book when you're done reading it?

Swarley

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:13 pm

You can save $10 on Electronics at Amazon if you pay with a Mastercard. This includes the Kindle Fire. You also get an additional $10 credit towards any future purchase of $50 or more. Details are in the link. The offer expires at midnight Pacific time.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:05 am

Mr punzy just got the Nook touch. It is adorable! And really light. I have the original Nook, which I love, but there is a noticeable difference in weight.

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily Rose Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:18 pm

Ack! I just bought myself a Kindle Fire!! I had a gift certificate. I am so excited!

Lily Rose

Back to top Go down

Post  tothemax Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:41 pm

Lily Rose wrote:Ack! I just bought myself a Kindle Fire!! I had a gift certificate. I am so excited!
Let me know what you think, Lily Rose, not that it will matter since I've already decided I want it, but you never know!

tothemax

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:17 pm

The early reviews of the Kindle Fire looked fantastic. The only real complaint that sounded worrisome was a lag when turning pages, but I think that can be fixed in future software upgrades (as it was with the Nook, if I heard right).
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily Rose Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:12 pm

I will definitely post a review here, but mine isn't supposed to ship for another week. Here's hoping Amazon gets speedy and sends it sooner!

Lily Rose

Back to top Go down

Post  Swarley Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:49 pm

According to Amazon my Fire will be delivered on the 17th. I cannot WAIT.

ETA: After I posted this I checked my email. Turns out, my Kindle Fire shipped today. It'll be here by Wednesday.

Swarley

Back to top Go down

Post  Swarley Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:58 pm

Double posting because I'm on the Kindle Fire. I've never owned a tablet before so I cant compare bit I love it. For some reason the app store does not work. That's my only complaint.

Swarley

Back to top Go down

Post  rivki8699 Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:33 pm

Swarley wrote:Double posting because I'm on the Kindle Fire. I've never owned a tablet before so I cant compare bit I love it. For some reason the app store does not work. That's my only complaint.

Ooh! Have you tried watching a movie/video yet? I'm super tempted to buy a Kindle Fire just for that. Of course, I'm also really tempted to buy a Kindle Touch. (I already have a Kindle, btw - I just want the newer, shinier one.)
rivki8699
rivki8699

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:46 pm

Swarley wrote:Double posting because I'm on the Kindle Fire. I've never owned a tablet before so I cant compare bit I love it. For some reason the app store does not work. That's my only complaint.

How does the browser work with SF? Can you read the forum comfortably on that screen? The iPad screen works nicely for me, and it's only a little smaller...
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum