eBooks and eReaders

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: eBooks and eReaders

Post  Swarley on Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:35 pm

I watched some YouTube videos. It was nice. Very clear. I love the screen. The screen is tiny but you can still adjust the font size like on the original Kindle. I haven't noticed any lag between the page turns (I think someone mentioned that up thread?). I turned it on, registered it, and there was all my books! Synced to the exact last page I had read. The Fire shows you the covers which I like. For some reason.

I didn't have a problem browsing the forum. I'm not going to be doing it daily when I'm near my laptop but it was super easy and not hard to read. It's small of course, but zooming in and out is super easy.

Swarley

Back to top Go down

Post  truecrystal on Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:39 pm

Your books were there when you registered? So there's no synching a new gadget to access your Kindle library?!?! SOLD!!

OK, I'm just about sold anyway. I'm already a Prime member so the Fire is looking hella attractive right now. My only question is, what do I do with my 2nd Gen Kindle?

truecrystal

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:00 pm

Does anyone know how to reset the Kindle's (or Kindle App's) page-keeper-tracker to the beginning? I like to re-read books, but the way things are now, once I've read the book the first time, the page-tracker is stuck at the end of the book forever.

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Swarley on Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:56 am

truecrystal wrote:Your books were there when you registered? So there's no synching a new gadget to access your Kindle library?!?! SOLD!!

No syncing at all! I registered the thing and all my books where just there! Of course, they're on the "cloud" storage so you have to be on the wireless to access them the first time. But yes, I was impressed with that too. I was in the process of logging onto my Amazon account when I realized that I wouldn't have to manually add my books.

Does anyone know how to reset the Kindle's (or Kindle App's) page-keeper-tracker to the beginning? I like to re-read books, but the way things are now, once I've read the book the first time, the page-tracker is stuck at the end of the book forever.

On my first generation Kindle I used to hit the menu button and then "Go to". I think one of the options is "Cover" or "Beginning of book". That should take you back to the beginning of the book.

Swarley

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:04 am

Oh, the problem isn't navigating within the book. I can go back to the beginning. The problem is that Amazon's automatic bookmark thinks the "furthest page read" is the LAST page, so it doesn't sync anymore (because any earlier page is not the furthest page read!). I want to trick it into thinking I haven't read the book yet.

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  philophobe on Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:41 am

Chiming in to say I love the Fire too. I have a 10.1 Galaxy Tab and I love that, but the Fire is a lovely comfortable size to hold. The screen is beautiful and it's pretty responsive with everything so far. I had no problem with the appstore though, I got there within 2 minutes and started downloading apps. Plus the apps I have for my droid 3 were in my cloud in the appstore too so that was great. I already tested Netflix (great), Pandora (sounds really good), and IMing my friends from it. So far, I'm totally impressed.

philophobe

Back to top Go down

Post  jstilwe on Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:50 am

Does anyone know if any stores will have this on display? I want to check out the screen before I buy it -- I'm concerned the color screen won't be as soothing for my eyes as the e-ink on the traditional models.

jstilwe

Back to top Go down

Post  Swarley on Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:35 pm

I was at Walmart yesterday and they didn't have the Kindle Fire on display then but maybe by the end of the week? If I see it anywhere I'll let you know.

Swarley

Back to top Go down

Post  tothemax on Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:52 pm

particle_person wrote:Oh, the problem isn't navigating within the book. I can go back to the beginning. The problem is that Amazon's automatic bookmark thinks the "furthest page read" is the LAST page, so it doesn't sync anymore (because any earlier page is not the furthest page read!). I want to trick it into thinking I haven't read the book yet.
I'm not aware of a direct solution, but I use bookmarks to keep track of my location between devices.

tothemax

Back to top Go down

Post  philophobe on Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:12 pm

jstilwe wrote:Does anyone know if any stores will have this on display? I want to check out the screen before I buy it -- I'm concerned the color screen won't be as soothing for my eyes as the e-ink on the traditional models.

No, the color screen won't be as soothing. The backlit nature is just like reading on a computer screen for the most part so after a bit, the eyes get tired. But you could read on it for a while and do other things so it is a nice travel type gadget. For reading alone, I'd still pick up my regular kindle with e-ink, I swear there is nothing better than that.

philophobe

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:35 am

I look forward to the day color e-ink is invented. (Come on, MediaLab!)

I also look forward to the day the Fire shows up at Target so I can spend an hour playing with it.
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  lil d on Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:39 pm

If you have a Staples near you, they might have the Kindle Fire in stock for you to try.

lil d

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:12 pm

Instant Monkeys wrote:I look forward to the day color e-ink is invented. (Come on, MediaLab!)

They have it right now (I've seen pictures online) but it's kind of underwhelming. The colors in the prototype I saw were way too dark and unsaturated to be worth it.

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude on Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:28 pm

I got an email notification the other day that I'd won a Kindle Fire in an online contest I'd entered in September. I was beyond thrilled!! SO SO happy...

Until I got home and found they'd emailed me a second time to tell me that no, oops, I hadn't won a Fire after all, SORRY!!; what I'd actually won was a Kindle. Which...you know, is nice and all, but I already have a Kindle. But I'm trying very hard to be positive and not be a pissy ingrate over this. After all, it's a nice Christmas present for someone, right?

*sigh*

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy on Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:57 pm

I call shenanigans. They should totally give you a Fire the first email, mistake or no.

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude on Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:17 pm

I did write back and tell them I was very disappointed, but I have a feeling they're going to ignore me.

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  truecrystal on Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:04 pm

My Kindle Fire will be here Tuesday!

truecrystal

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily Rose on Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:41 pm

I got mine yesterday! It is lovely. I'm still experimenting with it, so I'm saving a more detailed review for later.

Lily Rose

Back to top Go down

Post  Corellderaan on Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:39 am

Hey guys, I'm looking into getting an e-reader for Christmas (or at least buying one myself and then telling my parents that's the one I want), but I'm a bit ignorant of how it works. If you get a Kindle - are you only able to buy books from Amazon?

Corellderaan

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:04 am

Hm, you can only buy books ON THE DEVICE ITSELF from Amazon, but if you buy them on the computer, you can "side load" them from the computer, provided they're in an uncopy-protected format that the Kindle supports. The Touch and 3G will support MOBI, and PRC files natively, and you can convert EPUBs on your computer to one of those, if the file is unDRMed. For instance, the free books from Project Gutenberg can be loaded this way (so you don't have to PAY for them from Amazon, despite what they want you to think).

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasmine on Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:39 am

In addition to that, I have Calibre, a free ebook managing software, and you can convert books from any source into Kindle format with it. I'm sure Amazon is trying to make Calibre stop working with the Kindle, but people who make that stuff tend to be pretty smart.

Jasmine

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily Rose on Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:28 am

Yeah, Calibre still works with the various Kindles and Nooks, they update it all the time. Sometimes it feels like they have an update every day. But it is awesome, so I won't complain.

Having used the Kindle Fire for a couple days now, I can say that I really like it. It is responsive, fast, the games play well, the videos are clear, the web browser is fantastic, it is super easy to find apps or books or music or anything you want to buy on Amazon and buy and download it easily. It has a nice weight and thickness to it, while still being easy to hold. It's easy to side-load books, although you have to use your own mini USB, since it doesn't come with one. I use the one that came with my Nook, and it works fine.

Now for the parts that annoy me. The power button is on the bottom, and I keep accidentally hitting it while holding the Fire and turning it off. Since you can change the orientation of the screen, it's not a big deal to flip it upside down and read it or whatever, but you have to do that every time you turn it on. It's pretty terrible as an eReader, because I'm used to eInk. Also, this may be a Kindle thing, but there are no page numbers, and you can't see the clock while you are reading, which drives me CRAZY. I am spoiled by that with my Nook, I guess. The wifi only is a bit of a drag, but I really did not want to pay for 3G service like on an iPad, so I can't blame that entirely on the Fire.

My feeling is that it's good as something like a netbook - a small, portable way to carry your web, videos, music, and books around in a larger format than a phone. It feels like it might be outdated fairly quickly, but it wasn't that expensive, so I'm ok with that. It does what I want it to do (fast loading internet pages, video in a portable, watchable size, and plays a couple games) and I really enjoy it. I still use my first gen Nook for reading, but it's pretty easy to carry both of them in a small laptop sleeve (separated by a cloth bag so they don't scratch), and I feel like I have a ton of entertainment possibilities at my fingertips, more I could probably ever need!

Lily Rose

Back to top Go down

Post  Swarley on Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:32 pm

I haven't purchased a book yet but I feel like there's a way around that side loading the books thing. If the book is purchased and appears in your cloud then you should be able to just download it from the Kindle once it starts without having to connect it to your computer. Like I said, haven't tried it so no idea if that works or not.

Swarley

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily Rose on Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:15 pm

Swarley wrote:I haven't purchased a book yet but I feel like there's a way around that side loading the books thing. If the book is purchased and appears in your cloud then you should be able to just download it from the Kindle once it starts without having to connect it to your computer. Like I said, haven't tried it so no idea if that works or not.
Oh, I'm sideloading books that I already own in ePub format, converted to Mobi format with Calibre. I haven't bought any books from Amazon, and if I had, you are right, they would be in the cloud.

Lily Rose

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:24 pm

Regarding the page numbers, that is actually a function of the book not the type of Kindle. Some books have page numbers, others don't. Amazon has updated its file format to allow the page numbers and the books in the older format can't show them, I think. (Page numbers are not to be confused with "locations" which is the arbitrary numbering system Amazon has used from the beginning. The true page numbers actually correspond to the numbers in a particular paper edition of the book.)

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top