eBooks and eReaders

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: eBooks and eReaders

Post  big chicken on Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:30 pm

Swarley wrote:I haven't purchased a book yet but I feel like there's a way around that side loading the books thing. If the book is purchased and appears in your cloud then you should be able to just download it from the Kindle once it starts without having to connect it to your computer. Like I said, haven't tried it so no idea if that works or not.

I'm not 100% sure of this but I think only items purchased from Amazon are stored in the cloud.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  Algae on Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:01 am

You can e-mail your stuff to your Kindle, but there's a cost associated.
Algae

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily Rose on Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:22 am

particle_person wrote:Regarding the page numbers, that is actually a function of the book not the type of Kindle. Some books have page numbers, others don't. Amazon has updated its file format to allow the page numbers and the books in the older format can't show them, I think. (Page numbers are not to be confused with "locations" which is the arbitrary numbering system Amazon has used from the beginning. The true page numbers actually correspond to the numbers in a particular paper edition of the book.)
That's weird, because every single book I've look at on the Fire has no page numbers. About 20 different books, and they are from Amazon, free books, side-loaded, a wide variety.

Lily Rose

Back to top Go down

Post  Swarley on Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:50 pm

big chicken wrote:I'm not 100% sure of this but I think only items purchased from Amazon are stored in the cloud.

Oh yeah, I didn't think about that. I don't really get my books from any other place. With the new lenders library for Prime users I have all the books I could need from Amazon. Plus the books that are public domain anyway.

Swarley

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:59 pm

Lily Rose wrote:
particle_person wrote:Regarding the page numbers, that is actually a function of the book not the type of Kindle. Some books have page numbers, others don't. Amazon has updated its file format to allow the page numbers and the books in the older format can't show them, I think. (Page numbers are not to be confused with "locations" which is the arbitrary numbering system Amazon has used from the beginning. The true page numbers actually correspond to the numbers in a particular paper edition of the book.)
That's weird, because every single book I've look at on the Fire has no page numbers. About 20 different books, and they are from Amazon, free books, side-loaded, a wide variety.

Here's what Amazon says:
Not all Kindle books include page numbers. Kindle books that include page numbers will list "Page Numbers Source ISBN (the print book identification number)" for the matching print edition under "Product Details" on the detail page at Amazon.com. If the Page Numbers Source ISBN (the print book identification number)" listed under "Product Details" on the product detail page is the same edition as your print book, the Kindle page numbers will match the page numbers in the printed edition.

Because Kindle books allow you to change font size and other features, you may be able to view more than one page on your screen at once. Only the corresponding page number for the text displayed at the top left of the screen will be shown.

Page numbers are only displayed on Kindle Keyboard with software version 3.1 or higher. To update your Kindle's software, visit www.amazon.com/kindlesoftwareupdates.
I would say that you've simply chosen a bunch of books without page numbers, Lily. I think they're still on only a minority of books. The other possibility is a bug in the Kindle Fire's software that's preventing them from being displayed, in which case I imagine it will be fixed soon.

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  truecrystal on Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:02 pm

I've had my Fire for 6 days and I really love it. It does exactly what I need a tablet to do: allows me to read, web browse, waste time and watch videos. It's incredibly intuitive and easy-to-use, and I love that it came pre-loaded with all my Amazon purchases.

There are a few things that I either don't like or haven't quite figured out how to fix:

• I don't like that all of my Amazon purchases both on the cloud and on the device itself show up on the home screen. I've purchased hundreds of books and they're all there in the first positions, so when I downloaded apps or other stuff, I had to scroll past all those books. I'd really like to get rid of that.
  • I didn't know that syncing across devices only happens when you use the Kindle app to read and not another Kindle. I was expecting my Kindle to sync to my Fire, but that's not the case. Not that big of a deal though, just a bad assumption on my part.
  • I'm not crazy about having to go home anytime I want to switch between applications.

But really, all of those are minor quibbles that are far outweighed by how compact and shiny and easy it is.

truecrystal

Back to top Go down

Post  rivki8699 on Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:50 pm

Question for anyone who has a Kindle Touch - how do footnotes work? (You wouldn't think this would be an issue, but between my Pratchett adoration and my recent foray into non-fiction, it's become salient.) One of the reasons I'd love to upgrade from my 2nd Gen. Kindle is for easier footnote usage - right now I need to joystick my way to the footnote and click on it. Is it any easier with the Touch?
rivki8699

Back to top Go down

Post  UmaOprah on Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:47 pm

How are people still liking their Fires? What are they mainly using it for?

I got one last week as an early gift and I kind of don't know what to do with it. I think I'm running into some common problems. I've used it for surfing but am sort of frustrated with how nothing is really formatted for it and everything seems relatively small for it being a significantly bigger screen than my iPod Touch. I actually find myself frequently putting down the Fire and picking up the Touch because it just seems so much easier to do things on it, like check email. Maybe it's just a learning curve and I just need to play with it some more? How are people liking reading on it?

Would I benefit more if I used Amazon more? I do like that I'm able to watch Flash videos on it and the screen is beautiful but I'm failing to see its advantages beyond the screen being bigger. I'm also asking because I don't want the gift-giver to feel like I don't like it; he's definitely noticing my use of my iPod...

UmaOprah

Back to top Go down

Post  tothemax on Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:28 pm

I tried using it as a reader for all of 5 minutes before putting it down and using the regular Kindle. I've also run into problems putting video files on the Fire, but I figure a software update will come along eventually to fix that. My biggest issue is the interface, which I flat out hate. I've been trying to acclimate myself to it since I'm so used to the iOS interface, but it is just not good. I didn't realize new users automatically got a free month of Amazon Prime and I didn't feel like paying for the content, so I can't comment on how streaming works. I don't dislike the Fire, exactly, but it is rather meh.

tothemax

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily Rose on Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:59 pm

I use my Fire for checking Twitter, playing games, and watching video on Hulu+, and it works great for those things. I've definitely run into some frustrations with it, and do hope that they put out a software update soon.

Lily Rose

Back to top Go down

Post  vwlphb on Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:57 pm

Have any of you used it for reading comics? How has that been?

That's the one thing that keeps tempting me, more than any of the other features (I have a normal kindle, and I watch movies on my ipod touch or ps3 or 3ds).

vwlphb

Back to top Go down

Post  truecrystal on Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:40 pm

I'm actually really enjoying my Fire. I read on it more than I thought I would, especially with it being backlit (I have a regular Kindle), and I'm on the web quite a bit too. The only mobile web surfing devices I have to compare it to are my iPhone and Blackberry, and I like the experience better on my Fire than both of those. I have my Google mailbox set up, but I don't really check my email much on it because it's pretty clunky to file things. I've streamed a couple of videos from the Prime library and it's a great picture. Magazines are awesome too, but I haven't tried comics.

My biggest pet peeve is the carousel on the home page having everything ever on it, but the patch coming out in a week or so is supposed to allow users to customize the carousel. I think the patch is also supposed to fix the orientation sensitivity. The other thing on my wishlist is to give the Fire full Kindle functionality (e.g. creating folders).

truecrystal

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:43 pm

I thought the patch already came out? I saw something about it yesterday.

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  truecrystal on Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:06 pm

Thanks for the heads up, particle_person! It looks like the patch did start rolling out yesterday, but I haven't been connected to wifi for mine to update.

truecrystal

Back to top Go down

Post  philophobe on Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:43 am

truecrystal wrote:I'm actually really enjoying my Fire. I read on it more than I thought I would, especially with it being backlit (I have a regular Kindle), and I'm on the web quite a bit too. The only mobile web surfing devices I have to compare it to are my iPhone and Blackberry, and I like the experience better on my Fire than both of those. I have my Google mailbox set up, but I don't really check my email much on it because it's pretty clunky to file things. I've streamed a couple of videos from the Prime library and it's a great picture. Magazines are awesome too, but I haven't tried comics.

My biggest pet peeve is the carousel on the home page having everything ever on it, but the patch coming out in a week or so is supposed to allow users to customize the carousel. I think the patch is also supposed to fix the orientation sensitivity. The other thing on my wishlist is to give the Fire full Kindle functionality (e.g. creating folders).

I'm liking my Fire too. It's not a full tablet but it was never supposed to be, technically it's a media consumption device. Video on it is fabulous, playing games and reading magazines are too. It's not the best e-reader because it tires the eyes out, but if you only want to carry one gadget, it does it decently enough though. If you want to just read, stick with the e-ink Kindle. Overall, it fills in a nice gap. When I am in a waiting situation, it's the perfect amount of entertainment capability in a nice-sized device.

philophobe

Back to top Go down

Post  Swarley on Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:44 am

I'm still loving my Fire, too. My eyes don't get tired when reading on it and I mostly use it to read. I haven't streamed a video yet but I do have a Prime membership so I might give that a try soon.

Swarley

Back to top Go down

Post  UmaOprah on Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:50 pm

Hm, okay, it sounds like I just need to play with it more and try reading on it for longer periods to get a feel for that. I'm going on a trip soon, so it will be the perfect opportunity to find ways to kill time in the airport and on the flight. Thanks for the feedback, guys!

UmaOprah

Back to top Go down

Post  truecrystal on Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:40 pm

Got the patch for the Fire and was able to get rid of all the trashy novels aka P0rN!! literature on my carousel! The scrolling is also a LOT better.

truecrystal

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma on Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:34 am

I got a Kindle Touch for my birthday and just realized hey, I can read this thread now! So far I have not purchased a single book but instead have been happily downloading the complete works of L.M. Montgomery from Project Gutenberg and Project Gutenberg Australia (which doesn't have Kindle editions, but I figured out how to save theirs as HTML and import them in Calibre).

One of the things that bugs me about the Touch is since all of the interaction is via taps or swipes, I sometimes seem to jump way ahead in the book and I have no idea how it happened. I *think* it's something to do with accidentally changing the font size (supposed to only happen if you use a two finger zoom gesture), which repaginates everything. Another issue is unlike my iPhone, it seems like everything that touches the Touch actually touches it -- it will sometimes flip a page if it falls over on the bed, that kind of thing.

Does anyone else find the default fonts kind of computery? I prefer a serif font but the one that's included feels a bit...jaggy. But old-timey books feel wrong when read in sans serif.
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynara on Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:50 pm

I HAVE A KINDLE FIRE. MY LIFE IS COMPLETE. Seriously, my godfather was amazingly generous and I am really lucky. This is AMAZING OMG I DON'T EVEN.

Cynara

Back to top Go down

Post  GeneralErin on Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:35 pm

I too got a Kindle Fire for Christmas! It was a huge surprise from my parents, and it's SO COOL!

GeneralErin

Back to top Go down

Post  bloomtoperish on Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:57 pm

I got one for Christmas too!

bloomtoperish

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian on Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:47 pm

Does anyone know of a way I can force my Nook Color to update its software without having to go through my regular computer first, the way the Barnes & Noble site wants me to? My software never updated the way they said it would, so I tried to do it manually last night, and I swear it nearly crashed my computer. No way in hell am I trying that again. I'll have more time to Google around later, but I was wondering if anyone here has dealt with this already.

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  gannetguts on Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:39 am

I got home today to find my parents had bought me a Kindle! I was so surprised! I mentioned it in passing that I wanted to buy one for my overseas trip next year, and there it was, sitting on the kitchen table. Now I have to download all the books. I can't even think where to start.

gannetguts

Back to top Go down

Post  Renny Sue on Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:09 pm

For those who have them is it easy to read? I was going to get an iPad but I really can't justify the cost. (I dropped my iPhone in the bath. It's insured so I get a payout but I also get a free phone through my phone company. Now I have $900 to spend) I want a tablet and as much as I love Apple spending over $500 on it just can't be justified, especially when my iPhone will do everything the iPad can. So I was looking at the Fire but I'm not reading the best reviews.

Renny Sue

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top