Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

eBooks and eReaders

+47
Matinee
mokey75
mialoubug
Lurker
bbridges
Raksha
allochthonous
Gallifrey Girl
Unlucky Bear
laddical
choubetcha
MaddyCat
Gilraen
mortalmax
EggSpreader
Kookla
boutros boutros kitty
Simbelmyne
Renny Sue
gannetguts
Gillian
nikita
GeneralErin
Cynara
punkysdilemma
vwlphb
UmaOprah
Corellderaan
Jude
lil d
Instant Monkeys
jstilwe
rivki8699
tothemax
big chicken
Jasmine
paablish
Lily Rose
SelfAmused
Swarley
Algae
punzy
alexdegenhardt
philophobe
particle_person
maxell131313
truecrystal
51 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

eBooks and eReaders - Page 4 Empty Re: eBooks and eReaders

Post  GeneralErin Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:25 pm

I think the reviews all seemed very biased, they all seemed to moan, "But it's not an IPad!" And it's not. It isn't supposed to be. As far as reading goes, I've had no problems. I think the reading experience is very similar to an ipad. It's a nice, compact e-reader that can also do basic internet stuff. Which is perfect for me. If you're looking for something that is much cheaper than an IPad, I think the Fire is perfect.

GeneralErin

Back to top Go down

Post  Algae Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:42 pm

I got a Kindle Fire and I LOVE IT. OMG, I don't think I've unhanded it since Sunday.
Algae
Algae

Back to top Go down

Post  Simbelmyne Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:01 pm

Today my Christmas present finally arrived - the simple version of Kindle. I'm absolutely in love. It's so small and light and yet somehow not too small and easy to read and God, I can fit hundreds of books in my purse? This is magic and the future is here and I'm loving it.

I desperately needed an e-reader, because my room is literally overflowing with books - books on shelves, on the table, on the windowpane, stacks of books by the bed and even in the desk drawers. I couldn't justify buying more because I really didn’t have where to put them. Now I'll be able to get new books again!
Simbelmyne
Simbelmyne

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:17 pm

Seriously, Simbelmyne, e-readers are the salvation of people who live in small apartments and read.
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasmine Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:40 pm

And people who commute! Or travel. Honestly, I find the anti-ebook people so annoying, especially when they get all huffy about "real books." Paper books are no more real than electronic books! I have hundreds of paper books, and I am not going to suddenly throw them all away, people, but I find reading on my Kindle to be such a pleasant reading experience, and I've read more books in the last year since getting my Kindle -- and different books, since there are some long non fiction books that would have been so bulky and cumbersome to read in paper, but were easy as pie on my Kindle.

Jasmine

Back to top Go down

Post  GeneralErin Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:51 pm

And for people who move a lot! I seem to move every 6 months-a year and I keep giving away books because they just take up so much space. There are also boxes of books in my old room at my parents house that I just can't bear to part with. The Kindle is probably one of the best pieces of technology I own.

GeneralErin

Back to top Go down

Post  boutros boutros kitty Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:23 am

My mom and dad love their e-readers so much - my parents each got one a few years ago (the Sony e-reader) and it has been the best thing ever for them.

They travel, they have a weekend house and a town house, and they never have to worry about forgetting a book they are in the middle of, etc. It's always with them, so if they are waiting for an appointment, they can read a book. And they've lived in the same house since 1973 and my mom didn't want ANY MORE BOOKS in the house (no joke, we'd added floor-to-ceiling and wall-to-wall built-in bookshelves across one wall in every room in the house. EVERY room includes all three bathrooms. Yes.)

Mom got a Kindle Fire for Christmas and she's loving that, too.

People who are tech-averse wear me out.

boutros boutros kitty

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:00 am

My grandma got an iPad for Christmas/Hanukah, but so far she won't read anything on it. She plays games. (Especially word search and crossword games.) I'm hoping to get her reading though, especially when I introduce her to the advantages of the size and font adjustment settings, given she doesn't see as well as she used to.
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasmine Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:38 am

That's another thing I love about my Kindle -- I can increase the font so I can read in bed without my glasses. Fantastic.

We all gave my grandma a Nook for Mother's Day and she adores it -- she goes to a lot of doctors appointments, and she always has something to read, and doesn't have to carry a heavy book and bother her bad shoulder.

Jasmine

Back to top Go down

Post  Kookla Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:50 am

Canadian here, and I bought myself a Kobo Touch for Christmas, and OMG I love this thing! I'm busy downloading all the free old mystery novels I can find (because those are exactly the types of books I want to read that a) I don't want to buy and b) aren't at the library). I was one of those people who was kind of anti-ereader before, but now I'm not quite sure why.

Kookla

Back to top Go down

Post  EggSpreader Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:06 am

My boyfriend bought me a Kindle Touch for Christmas! I love it, but I haven't used it much since Christmas just because I was already in the middle of a couple of real books. I have, however, been cruising Amazon for all the ninety nine cent books they have that I want to read. I think I have purchased almost 30 books that were all less than $5. I'm pretty excited.

EggSpreader

Back to top Go down

Post  mortalmax Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:25 pm

My sister got me a Nook for my birthday and I loaded it with tried and true books (that I can read over and over again) and new ones. My most recent love are cozy mysteries. (And I can bookmark the recipes!)

The Nook allows me to continue reading a series without having to carry allll the books with me at once. Plus I can change books if I find one that's boring or not to my taste.

If only I had one back when I was reading Lord of the Rings or the Harry Potter tomes....

mortalmax

Back to top Go down

Post  Gilraen Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:28 pm

The screen on my Kindle seems to have broken, so I have to decide whether to replace it with the plain Kindle or the Kindle Touch (I currently have what I guess is now the Kindle Keyboard, but the keyboard isn't really that useful for me). What do people think? Is the touchscreen worth it?

Gilraen

Back to top Go down

Post  MaddyCat Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:22 pm

Yes, worth it. For me there was a tiny bit of learning curve going from old, button-push Kindle to button-free Kindle Touch, but once I got it down, I was very happy with everything. It's overall great.

MaddyCat

Back to top Go down

Post  choubetcha Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:25 pm

Dangerous Angels by Francesca Lia Block, which appears to contain all of the Weetzie Bat books, is free on Amazon right now.

choubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post  vwlphb Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:53 pm

Today American Gods - the Tenth Anniversary Edition by Neil Gaiman is on sale for $1.99 (apparently on the Nook too). Good timing, since I was considering buying it just last month. I figured there might be some other Gaiman fans interested.

vwlphb

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:58 am

I debated where to put this and eventually decided this would be the best place to tell you all that Wesley Crusher Teenage Fuck Machine is available for free from Amazon Prime. The link takes you to a sample chapter. It is, in its way, the most amazing thing I've read this week. It's making me wish I was an Amazon Prime member.

Last edited by big chicken on Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:46 am; edited 1 time in total

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:41 am

That is... I just... NO WORDS.

Except perhaps these words: if ever there was an argument to be made that self-publishing is an objectively BAD THING, this is People's Exhibit A.

I'm fairly certain that even if the content of the book is protected as parody that using an actual photo of Wil Wheaton has to be something actionable on the part of Paramount, if not Mr. Wheaton himself.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:23 am

So I bought a Kindle Fire tonight so I'll have something to play on in the hospital when I have surgery in a few weeks. Also, since getting a job offer after being unemployed for a year, I am in BUY ALL THE THINGS mode.

I'm really excited about getting magazine and newspaper subscriptions sent directly to the Kindle. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've got National Geographic and USA Today so far. I also have a trial subscription to our local paper's app (the same paper I got laid off from last year) and it is hilariously awful.
Unlucky Bear
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:22 am

I have Vanity Fair and Entertainment Weekly. I like both of them, but I don't have a lot to compare them to. I agree that magazines on the Fire are pretty awesome, especially when there are interactive features.

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:15 pm

Also without having a lot to compare to, the Vanity Fair one is indeed very good.

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:03 pm

I have Time and Entertainment Weekly on my Nook Color. Entertainment Weekly is pretty fabulous. It looks great and I love the setup. Time is fine, but it can be a little glitchy for me sometimes. They have a lot of pictures and charts that you have to scroll around to see the whole thing, and it always thinks I'm trying to turn the page instead of move around the image. It also takes a while to respond sometimes. I like having it, but between the two, I think Entertainment Weekly is more well done.

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:01 pm

Do you guys have a screen protector or external case for your ereaders? I ordered a screen protector for my Kindle Fire but now everyone I know with an ereader doesn't have one. I definitely am getting a case to carry it around in, but now I'm wondering if I should even bother with the screen.
Unlucky Bear
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:10 pm

I've decided long since that screen protectors are unnecessary. Just a case is enough to prevent damage. The gorilla glass is really really hard so it doesn't scratch. My iPad has survived a year with no scratches so far, and my iPhones have made it even longer.
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:24 pm

That makes sense. My only other gadget that needed a case/protector is my iPod Touch, and that got both since I carry it around in my purse, so I wasn't sure what the best way to go is. Thanks.
Unlucky Bear
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum