Homeland

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Homeland

Post  jstilwe on Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:08 am

This show. Claire Danes was fantastic and I am sad to see that Brody is apparently going through with the plot after all. I have been harboring hope that he's only going along with it for intel and is going to flip at the last possible minute, but based on next week's preview, I'm guessing not.

Poor Carrie. Her world is completely fallen to pieces; I'm curious to see how/if she'll be part of a second season.

jstilwe

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 on Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:23 am

We are FINALLY all caught up, and oh man. I love this show. Claire Danes really brought it this week. The slip into madness was terrifying and heartbreaking to watch. I kind of wanted to punch David when he showed up and asked what was wrong with her. Oh gee, I dunno. She did just get BLOWN UP two days ago. So maybe she's a bit fragile right now.
I think the daughter is going to be the one to get Brody to stop somehow, but I haven't figured out how.
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  pizzagirl20 on Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:43 pm

It's a free Showtime/The Movie Channel preview weekend, which means I get access to Showtime On Demand.

I made it through 3 episodes of this last night, and have eight more to get through this weekend. It is SO GOOD and SO ADDICTING. It is so well-paced and well-acted. I like that I'm constantly wondering where the show will go next -- it's not something where I can see plot twists coming from a mile away.

When it comes back, I may have to add the channel for it!
pizzagirl20

Back to top Go down

Post  jstilwe on Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:20 am

I finally talked some friends into watching this, based on the Golden Globes win, and it is really fascinating to rewatch, knowing how it ends. Damien Lewis is even more impressive the second time around; he plays both sides of the PTSD soldier/terrorist coin incredibly well.

jstilwe

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma on Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:28 pm

We caught up with this show watching the re-airings Showtime did over the past few months. Yowza! I will say that we were both a bit disappointed that Brody did not end up either dead or in the clink -- a slow build to no consequences (sort of). And I was *super* pissed the trailer for the final episode gave away a ton of things that took me out of the flow of the episode. But! Really good show, even though I have often been middling on Claire Danes.

Lewis was amazing during the scene in the bunker. It will be quite the best-actor fight at the next Emmys.

Does anyone know how this show compares to the Israeli original? I'm curious.
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  Francie Nolan on Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:40 pm

OMG. I finally caught up. Holy shit, that finale was the tensest thing. I can't believe he pulled the switch AND WAS GOING TO PULL IT A SECOND TIME. I was yelling at my computer screen like a crazy person throughout the whole scene in the bunker. And when Carrie showed up at their house! This show keeps doing things that you're like, nah, they wouldn't actually do that--and they do them anyway! The whole conversation between Brody and Carrie in the cabin is crazy and it's not even the finale! I can't stop talking in exclamation points about this show!

I'm still mad that Jon Hamm has never gotten an Emmy, but holy hell Damian Lewis is fantastic. And Claire Danes, I haven't really thought about you too much since I was in high school, but she really is so believable as Carrie. (I still snicker a little at her cry face--the quivering chin brings me right back to the Little Women/R+J days).

Someone I work with is catching up, too. She knows that there's something coming about a suicide bomber vest, and she's all "Well, of course Tom Walker's going to wear the vest and blow himself up." OMG she has no idea!

Francie Nolan

Back to top Go down

Post  choubetcha on Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:01 pm

I forgot how mad Brody makes me. It's never the big things either, like how he is a secret terrorist, more like "How dare you lie to your wife??" I didn't love last year's finale, and a large part of it was driven by HOW ANGRY I was that he was toying with Carrie's perception of her mental health. I do love the special relationship he was with Dana. So many TV kids are just cardboard placeholders, so it's nice to see one with actual feelings and relationships and an ability to move the plot.

That smile on Carrie's face at the end of the episode was a total fist-pump moment for me. She's back!

choubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post  Escape on Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:51 pm

choubetcha wrote:
That smile on Carrie's face at the end of the episode was a total fist-pump moment for me. She's back!

That was awesome. I'm so scared for her later, though. Are they going to let on that Saul doesn't really want her there? That he fought to keep her out of it? Since he's the only one that she seems to give a fuck about in all of this, I know that will crush her completely.

I love this show SO much.
Escape

Back to top Go down

Post  Francie Nolan on Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:30 pm

OMFG!!! Saul has the tape! I love that this show takes a cliffhanger that would normally be reserved for the season finale and puts it at the end of the second damn episode!

I can't even think of where they'll go from here!

Exclamation point!

Francie Nolan

Back to top Go down

Post  jstilwe on Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:33 pm

This show! Exclamations all over the place!

jstilwe

Back to top Go down

Post  emrie on Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:10 am

Next week on Homeland, Chris builds a Lego tower in his room and does his homework.

The Brody political stuff is getting really ridiculous. That was the most unpolished fundraiser - no way they wouldn't have had a backup speaker or plan. And Jess's speech made her husband sound like a psycho (which he is but they don't know that yet) and I imagine the VP would tackle her off the stage before letting her say all those negative things! And why would Abu Nazir's people jeopardize their Inside Guy by sending him off solo on such a crazy mission? All of Brody's plots would make more sense if he were operating at a lower level instead of congressman-maybe-VP-nominee. It's too much for me to buy.

That said the Carrie stuff was great. I'm so glad she gets to be vindicated.

emrie

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:31 am

The Brody political stuff is getting really ridiculous.

I agree and yet I almost think that was the point. Like they actively had Jess/VP/Mike all comment on it and I do like how they paralleled Carrie/Brody spiraling only for Carrie to get a grip on herself and then be given the validation of having been right, while Brody is the one coming apart at the seams, with even his daughter disgusted by him. But since that's already happening in episode 3, they must resolve this and string it out for another ten episodes.

I'm also admittedly having problems with Brody's motivations to turn, STILL. For real, kids die in war and the government lies, what he is nine? I'd rather believe it's Stockholm than that.

blixie
Mod Squad

http://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jstilwe on Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:25 pm

I think Brody is completely lost, which they referenced in his speech about in year three finally realizing he was going to die where he was. I think he was totally broken and rebuilt himself on the only thing he had available, which was the faith that Abu Nazir offered him. Now that he's home, I don't think he has the first clue who he really is, and he has no idea how to handle the conflict between his newly ingrained patterns and beliefs and his old loyalties and relationships.

I don't think the political stuff is meant to be realistic in that Brody would have a legitimate shot at VP, but I do think it makes perfect sense that the VP would try to suck every last bit of political capital out of the wounded warrior.

I cannot wait to see how Carrie tries to bring Brody down now that she has proof that she was right all along. I was nearly clapping my hands with glee with Saul showed up on her doorstep.

jstilwe

Back to top Go down

Post  Francie Nolan on Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:07 pm

The suicide attempt sequence was so well done and so harrowing to watch. I am so very invested in Carrie's vindication and totally chair danced when Saul was at the door. I think it would be awesome if every episode this season ends with someone watching the Brody suicide message video. I can't get enough of people's reaction faces to that!

jstilwe, I agree about the political stuff. The way Brody is being used by the VP reminds me of how politicians and the media latched onto the Pat Tillman and Jessica Lynch stories for their own gain. Both stories, of course, were more than met the eye.

This episode really demonstrated just how much Brody is coming apart at the seams. The whole road trip with the tailor was almost darkly comic, and I think it really illustrated how Brody is in way over his head. Especially the whole "What's that noise, honey?" "Oh, nothing. Just the sound of me breaking a man's neck with my bare hands. Pay no attention!" scene.

So I suppose Nazir knows that the CIA got their hands on the video card, and that's why the Lebanese agents were looking for it in Saul's briefcase? I wonder if this makes Brody a marked man--he's not much use to Nazir once it's out there that he's working for Al Qaeda. I also wonder if bringing the tailor to the safe house was some sort of a ruse, like the booby-trapped safe house Aileen and her husband were sent to.

Francie Nolan

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma on Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:40 am

Dude, we did not see that coming. And I kind of like that they're not going to be playing cat and mouse with him all season (I was kind of let down that he got away with it at the end of the last season). Great episode.
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  Heather on Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:53 pm

I loved watching Brody's facade crumble when she turned around and spat that his bullshit reeks. These two are tremendous. Claire Danes is seriously so good that she's not Angela Chase for me anymore; she's Carrie. Period.

One thing that sort of nibbled at me was Saul coming straight to her with the information -- even though from a compassion standpoint I LOVED that he came to Carrie first, it seemed a little weird that with something as major as "US Congressman and potential running mate almost blew up the veep," he'd take a detour to her house, and then... sleep on it, and THEN bring it to his boss. Dramatically it was satisfying, so yay, but logically it bugged me. Also, is there no other way he could've carried that than by hand? Glad it worked, and i knew this show was better than to kick them to square one by having the only copy confiscated. But it seems odd that in the intelligence community there was no secure way to transmit that information. Saul obviously wasn't urgently trying to escape and unable to take the time, since Carrie beat him home by a bit. Anyway.

Nits. I love this show and i look forward to it like nothing else.

Heather

Back to top Go down

Post  Francie Nolan on Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:18 pm

Holy shit, I think I stopped breathing for a minute in that last scene, and I totally chewed off my thumbnail. This show keeps doing things way, WAY before I think they'll do them, so I'm not sure why I'm still so surprised, but seeing Brody getting tackled to the floor and getting a sack shoved over his head was just so...final. The way his face just collapsed when Carrie brought up the suicide vest was great--up until that point, I think he was still hoping that this was "crazy" Carrie talking. God, I could watch those two for hours.

Francie Nolan

Back to top Go down

Post  choubetcha on Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:06 pm

YAY. Side note, did it seem to anyone else that Brody was about to start making out with Carrie right before the team burst in and took him down?

choubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post  Francie Nolan on Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:11 am

choubetcha wrote:YAY. Side note, did it seem to anyone else that Brody was about to start making out with Carrie right before the team burst in and took him down?

It was something between making out with her and snapping her neck like a jihadist tailor's.

So do you all think we're supposed to think that Carrie was right, and Brody knew she had him cornered? I'm not entirely convinced he knew--it didn't feel that way when he went back to his hotel room. But maybe he just needed a few minutes to put the pieces together.

I was surprised by how little sympathy I had for Brody during his arrest--his line about how good of a job he was doing as a terrorist was particularly enraging--but the whole black sack over the head thing made me feel...not sympathy exactly, but really jarred. So many connotations there, from POWs, to Gitmo, to Abu Ghraib.

I really wonder where we'll go from here. Brody as a double agent, maybe?

Francie Nolan

Back to top Go down

Post  jstilwe on Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:29 am

Holy shit, did Danes and Lewis blow me out of the water with this one. "If the circumstances had been wildly different..." Just fantastic. I loved every last scene between them, from the girlish, deferential Carrie during their first conversation at the CIA to the hurt/rage/heartbreak in the hotel room. Total magic.

I can't wait to see where they're going from here.

jstilwe

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 on Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:34 am

Francie Nolan wrote:
choubetcha wrote:YAY. Side note, did it seem to anyone else that Brody was about to start making out with Carrie right before the team burst in and took him down?

It was something between making out with her and snapping her neck like a jihadist tailor's.

Yeah, I was leaning towards a neck-snap myself. Or a Fredo kiss, followed by a neck snap. *shudder*

I'm guessing the rest of the season will be Brody working with the CIA, but the twist will be whether or not he's legit. Though maybe not, because I did not think they'd be at this point already in the season. Also, it's a testament to how great a character Dana is that I didn't think the story ground to a halt during the scene with her and the VP's kid. My husband said he saw a tweet somewhere that speculated that Dana is the producers' apology for Kim Bauer. Which makes sense, because she is like the Bizarro Kim.
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  Heather on Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:20 pm

Yeah, and I think the twist that her father was plotting the death of HIS father will add quite a layer to Dana and the VP's kid, especially in light of her blurting out that Brody is a Muslim.

I really, really loved Carrie's hissed, "I LOVED you." She is so messed up. She thought he was a terrorist and I still believe wholeheartedly that she did fall for him, or at least, that she believes she did. And I think he stayed hot for her crazy. And I do think he had an inkling that something was off when he went back to his hotel room. He may not have pieced it together, but I think he was starting to connect the dots.

Heather

Back to top Go down

Post  BreezyK on Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:22 pm

Ok here's my question. Do you think she said "I LOVED you." or "I LOVED you...if only the circumstances were WILDLY different." Like do you think those two statements were meant to link together? Because in that hotel room, I was reminded of the fact that Carrie ALWAYS thought he was a terrorist and was crazy enough to seduce him (in s1) to try to get that information, but that she is also a patriot and really disgusted by terrorism. So I thought the two statements were linked, as in "I LOVED you..." was supposed to throw him off guard until the agents busted in, but then she couldn't let that stand on its own.

BreezyK

Back to top Go down

Post  Heather on Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:10 pm

I read it as a response to his, "I really LIKED you," and she spits back, "I LOVED you," as if to say, "Well, I LOVED you, so there." Because I think a part of her, the part that didn't want to believe he was a terrorist, did love him. I think she stopped loving him by the finale, obviously, when she knew he had a suicide vest on. But for their weird courtship I think she basically did a number on herself, because that whole thing WAS the "wildly different circumstances." She created that fantasy world for them, they inhabited it, they got addicted to it. And at the end she had to tell him that she realized he wasn't the terrorist -- I think in that moment, his fury at her broke her heart. There was even the episode after that where he was coming by her house and she got all dressed up and got out some wine and thought it was a booty call, and it turned out not to be, and she was broken up about it. She hates terrorism, yes, but she definitely fell for a least the idea him, and then for the brief time she thought he was innocent, she admitted it to herself.

Heather

Back to top Go down

Post  Francie Nolan on Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:16 pm

That interrogation scene was like a master class in acting. I have to watch it again, but it almost seemed like it was shot as one continuous take. Damien Lewis said so much in that scene, even though he had so few lines. So, Brody as a double agent...interesting prospect, and this probably means we'll get more Danes/Lewis scenes, which is good news. They play so well off each other.

I'm not sure where we're going with this Dana and Finn storyline.

Francie Nolan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top