Young Adult Literature

Page 1 of 12 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Young Adult Literature

Post  Paris, Texas on Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:22 pm

Are we still allowed genre threads on the Lit and Publishing board? I do hope so. 'Cause who doesn't like a sprinkling of dystopias, magical realism, first love and miscellaneous angst on their To Be Read pile?

I am pleasantly surprised that the sequel to Matched by Ally Condie is out already. I couldn't wait for a physical copy, I've downloaded the audiobook and ebook for Crossed my reading/listening pleasure.

Paris, Texas

Back to top Go down

Re: Young Adult Literature

Post  Jasmine on Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:05 pm

Yay, glad that someone started this thread up again. I'm super excited to read Bunheads, which I only learned about from a Fug Girls giveaway -- has anyone read it? I'm a sucker for any book about ballet, and it's sounds awesome.

Jasmine

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed on Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:49 pm

We were talking about Tamora Pierce's Mastiff in the Current Reads thread. I didn't even know it was out! I called my local bookstore and they didn't have it, but they ordered it for me and it should be in my hot little hands by Monday! Which is fine since I'm out of town this weekend anyway. I can't wait! Beka Cooper is one of my favorite characters in a long time.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:54 pm

The Chaos Walking trilogy by Patrick Ness is pretty much the best stuff I've read this year. Each book is so taut and incredibly intense, and the relationship between Viola and Todd is amazingly passionate and heartwrenching.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:38 am

I read Bunheads. It gets the dancing stuff right down (the author was up until recently in the New York City Ballet company so it makes sense). Its cute. Not groundbreaking and at times kind of stilted but fun and good. I would read her second book as I thought it was a very good debut.

If you like books about ballet I also just read Various Positions by Martha Schabas and it was excellent if not necessarily YA.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:18 am

Adding Bunheads to my list right away!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Disclaimer on Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:35 am

whatthedeuce wrote:The Chaos Walking trilogy by Patrick Ness is pretty much the best stuff I've read this year. Each book is so taut and incredibly intense, and the relationship between Viola and Todd is amazingly passionate and heartwrenching.
I started off really enjoying them but was disappointed by the third book. It seemed a bit repetitive, although the new third perspective was an interesting contrast. I read someone's review that said "If I never have to hear another "VIOLA!" or "BOOM!" it will be too soon", and I sort of agree. Also what happened to the Mayor was kind of anticlimactic.

Disclaimer

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Username on Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:28 am

That's how I felt about the Chaos Walking trilogy too. I loved the first two books, I couldn't put them down. I enjoyed the third book too, but I think when a series is successful there must be a lot of pressure on the author to make subsequent books in the series both longer and more action-packed, and that's what happened here. Most of what I remember from the third book was a lot of running away from or running toward stuff. And yes, what happened to the Mayor was anticlimactic. Despite my issues with the third book though I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the Chaos Walking trilogy is better than the Hunger Games trilogy, it just had the misfortune of being overshadowed by the latter's publicity.

Bad Username

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl on Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:23 pm

The Chaos Walking series is going to become a film series!

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:48 am

I found the third book to be the weakest one, which seems to always be the problem with trilogies. The first one is amazing, the second is absolutely brilliant, and then the conclusive novel is a disappointment. I felt the same way about the Hunger Games trilogy, but overall, I still adore the series and thought it was brutal and beautiful at the same time. How the whole thing will come across onscreen makes me nervous, but here's hoping the future cast will do it justice. If they have some idiot, like Alex Pettyfer, playing Todd (wouldn't be surprised if the movies age the characters a few years, which would suck), I will cut someone, for real.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  The Lady of Shalott on Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:05 pm

Speaking of YA trilogies, I'm in the middle of A Great and Terrible Beauty. (Yes, I'm...a couple years behind, yes.) It's actually the second time I've tried to read this, and I'm not sure why exactly it hasn't grabbed me. I really, really want to like Libba Bray, but I just finished Beauty Queens a couple of weeks ago and I think her style maybe just isn't my bag. Should I stick with the rest of the trilogy? How do the books stack up to one another?
The Lady of Shalott

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:38 pm

I tried A Great and Terrible Beauty last year and just couldn't get through it either. I didn't like the characters and nothing about the writing grabbed me. Too bad since I usually love young female heroines stuck in a boarding school setting!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Gilraen on Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:34 pm

I couldn't get it to it either and could never really put my finger on why. Mostly, I felt like I totally failed to connect with the main characters, I think.

Gilraen

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:29 pm

I liked the first book a lot but I liked each sequel less and less.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:38 pm

The Gemma Doyle trilogy is one of the few series I can remember where the second installment was actually my favorite.

I liked the series a lot because of the unlikely friendship among the girls that made a weird sort of sense, but I don't totally dig how it ended.
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken on Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:08 pm

I found The Sweet Far Thing frustrating because the book is 200 pages longer than it needed to be and that some of the characters, namely Gemma, seemed to have forgotten the hard learned lessons from previous books and was making the same mistakes all over again just to make the book longer.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  Menshevixen on Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:09 pm

Woot, finally got Mastiff! It's so BIG, I'm not even halfway through.
Menshevixen

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynara on Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:21 pm

That's what she said!

...I'll show myself out.

Cynara

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed on Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:38 pm

Menshevixen wrote:Woot, finally got Mastiff! It's so BIG, I'm not even halfway through.

My local bookstore just called to tell me my copy is in! Can't wait to go pick it up!!

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  Menshevixen on Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:46 pm

Cynara wrote:That's what she said!

...I'll show myself out.

I admit, I lol'd.
Menshevixen

Back to top Go down

Post  epudom on Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:49 pm

Kiran wrote:I liked the first book a lot but I liked each sequel less and less.

I think I said that at times, I felt as though I was reading (very well wriiten) fanfic - I never got the sense that the author had researched Victorian London beyond a quick google search while taking a break from writing, and even though that was probably unfair, I could never quite get that impression out of my head. There was also a scene in the last book where she mentions a particular animal (I forget which), and I was so sure that this animal was not native to the UK, that I stopped reading and went online to check, and I was right. The fact that nobody in the editing process caught that really annoyed me.

I think there was a good nugget of an idea in there, but the execution didn't really deliver on the promise. Also, the last book was far too long.
epudom

Back to top Go down

Post  Paris, Texas on Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:06 am

50 Cent has just released his YA debut, Playground: The Mostly True Story of a Former Bully.

Paris, Texas

Back to top Go down

Post  molliewollie on Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:12 am

The Mysterious Benedict Society, anyone? I love these books so much. Milligan is the DILFiest character in a kid's book since Anne's House of Dreams.

molliewollie

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:20 am

molliewollie, I just read the Amazon description, and that rec sounds excellent!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Menshevixen on Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:34 am

Finished Mastiff, and I'm sad it's the last of the Beka books. I really enjoyed her character. And, well--there's a twist near the end, and I cried. Why you do this to me, Tammy??
Menshevixen

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 12 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top