Young Adult Literature

Page 6 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Young Adult Literature

Post  SarahJanet on Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:49 pm

Menshevixen wrote:Also just read that Tamora Pierce is planning another Kel book, which is supposed to
Spoiler:
be about Kel and her first squire
What? Whaaaaaat? Oh my god this is the BEST NEWS OF ALL TIME.

Ok, maybe not all time but you guys I have been flailing around complaining about wanting another Kel book for like FIVE YEARS! This brings me great joy. Yippee!

SarahJanet

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy on Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:09 pm

Menshevixen wrote:In exciting YA news--I'm sure everyone has heard that Messy, the follow-up to Spoiled, will be out in June! Also just read that Tamora Pierce is planning another Kel book, which is supposed to
Spoiler:
be about Kel and her first squire

JOY!!

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  katesti on Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:31 am

Anyone else read Daniel Handler's Why We Broke up and want to sort through it with me?

katesti

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:29 am

I read it a few weeks ago. I enjoyed it but was
Spoiler:
disappointed with how Ed's character turned out.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  katesti on Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:33 pm

Kiran wrote:I read it a few weeks ago. I enjoyed it but was
Spoiler:
disappointed with how Ed's character turned out.

I had fewer problems with that (I saw it coming about halfway through) than I did with the SYNTAX OMG. Just TALK, girl, Jesus. And also Al. I get that he was supposed to be adorable and awkward and Duckie-esque - which doesn't do anything for me anyway, in general - but holy crap. I was ready to throw the book across the room if I'd had to hear "I have no opinion" one more time.

And the movies. Dear God the movies. I get that the character was making a point every time she brought them up, but since they were fictional movies with fictional stars, I could not have cared less and tuned out anytime she started in on them.

The illustrations were charming, and there were a few moments I liked, but overall, Min absolutely wore on me, Al irritated me, her other friend(s? I don't even remember) were nonentities, and Ed was exactly what I was expecting him to be. The only character that was both A) fleshed-out and B) didn't mostly want to make me throw things was Jane. I felt like the whole thing was just trying way way too hard to be "arty." Ironically enough.

Overall, total disappointment, which blows. This and Beauty Queens were two books I'd been really looking forward to that just really didn't live up to either their hype or potential for me.

katesti

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:46 pm

Yeah I thought it would be much better with the reviews it got too. I was glad I didn't end up paying for it at the end of the day. And yes. I was horrified by the possibility of her and Al together. Jesus that would be a tiresome twee couple.

I think that device might have worked more if she used real movies? I don't know though. But it was a feeling I got. I did enjoy that Ed's ex turned out to be okay.

I read it at the gym on the treadmill and it was fine for that, but really I am glad I decided to get it loaned on to my kindle rather then pay for it.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  choubetcha on Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:20 pm

So I just read Jellicoe Road and LOVED IT. But also, I feel like such an idiot because the reason I didn't read it for so long, despite all the raves, is that from the descriptions I glanced at (teenagers at war! people disappearing!) I thought it was dystopian and I've got dystopia fatigue.

I AM DUMB.

choubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 on Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:57 pm

I read Hana, the short story companion piece to Delirium. It was good, but jeezy-creezy.
Spoiler:
I cannot believe Hana sold out Lena and Alex out of jealousy. I went back and forth on whether or not she had when I finished Delirium, but ultimately thought she hadn't. Now I hope we find out that she went ahead and had the cure and had to marry the Mayor's son, heh.
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  Jessica on Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:37 pm

Yay for Messy! I'm really looking forward to it, you guys! And I love the book jacket.

Thank you!! I hope everyone enjoys it. We love the cover, too.
Jessica

Back to top Go down

Post  katesti on Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:56 pm

choubetcha wrote:So I just read Jellicoe Road and LOVED IT. But also, I feel like such an idiot because the reason I didn't read it for so long, despite all the raves, is that from the descriptions I glanced at (teenagers at war! people disappearing!) I thought it was dystopian and I've got dystopia fatigue.

I AM DUMB.

Jellicoe Road is AMAZEBALLS. But yes, I had that issue too, before I actually started it. That's one of those books that I started rereading immediately - like, didn't even close the book before going back to page one. Sigh.

After reading The Fault in Our Stars yesterday (having a long commute sometimes has its perks), I had to take a breather today and just stare out the window for a while. Then tonight I picked up a major haul from the library, including some E. Lockhart (the last two Ruby Oliver books and Frankie Landau Banks), Sara Zarr's Sweethearts, and A La Carte by Tanita Davis (plus The Wilder Life, finally). Wheeeeeee I love the library.

Last edited by katesti on Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:47 am; edited 1 time in total

katesti

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:58 pm

I picked up The Fault Of Our Stars but have not read it yet because I suspect I will have the same reaction (I had it to Finding Alaska too) and I have midterms.

Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  MaddyCat on Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:03 am

What reaction? What? I've picked The Fault in Our Stars for our book club, and now you have me a bit panicked! I've been desperate to read it.

I've only read excellent reviews of it...is it just sad? Sad I can handle, bad...not so much. They won't let me pick a book again for months if it's bad. Yes, I have a judgmental book club!

MaddyCat

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:05 am

I've heard its very good, but the plot makes me imagine I will be sad and I just don't know if I have the time for that right now.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  katesti on Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:46 am

It is very very very very good. Very. Forever YA has tagged it as DNRIP (Do Not Read In Public), which is valid, but not just for tears. I laughed out loud a bunch of times, which will get some weird looks on public transportation.

Speaking of Forever YA - March Madness!

katesti

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasmine on Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:11 am

Let's talk after you read A La Carte, katesti. That's a book that I didn't finish because the protaganist irritated me so very very much, but if she gets better maybe (maybe) I'll try to push through.

Jasmine

Back to top Go down

Post  katesti on Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:16 am

Jasmine wrote:Let's talk after you read A La Carte, katesti. That's a book that I didn't finish because the protaganist irritated me so very very much, but if she gets better maybe (maybe) I'll try to push through.

Well, I soldiered through Why We Broke Up when I hated almost every single character, so my tolerance is apparently pretty high. But I will let you know!

katesti

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:45 am

katesti, I wish there was another book about Frankie Landau-Banks because I loved that book and that character so much!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:47 am

E. Lockhart writes the best heroines.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken on Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:29 am

You can buy the ebook versions of the Chaos Walking trilogy from Amazon for $.99 each. That's under $4 for the whole trilogy.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:31 am

I am impatiently waiting the next Mysterious Benedict Society book (which isn't, really, it's a prequel, but still), coming out April 10th.

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:56 am

I was wondering when that prequel was gonna be released. Thanks for answering my question before I even asked, p_p!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Luthien on Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:14 pm

I have no idea who Joel Stein is or why anyone would care about his opinion on YA books, but I'll be glad to give him a ladder to get over himself. Yes, let's dismiss out of hand an entire swath of literature (children's books, too), simply because you've passed puberty. A book is a book is a book. All I want is to be told a good story, and if it comes in the form of a book for teens or kids, so what? I don't particularly care for crazy adult fans of kids stuff (some of the crazier Harry Potter and Twilight fans come to mind: I haven't seen that behaviour much personally with The Hunger Games), but most adults read YA books simply to enjoy them. I'm assuming he wrote this garbage just to be a shit-disturber, as we would say in my hometown.

Luthien

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken on Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:33 pm

Probably. I can predict what's going to happen next. The YA blogs are going to roll their eyes and sigh about someone who apparently knows little about the genre making assumptions about it. Some prominent YA writer will write a rebuttal. Meanwhile, Joel Stein's column will get a lot of views and comments from people defending and deriding it. There will be a new twitter hashtag.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:53 pm

Joel Stein is one of those Time Magazine reporters who used to show up regularly as a VH1 talking head on such things as VH1's top 100 videos of the 1990s. I will always remember him discussing how the video for I Will Always Love You ended racism or something.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Menshevixen on Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:29 pm

Oh my god THAT'S where I knew him from!

How sad for him.
Menshevixen

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down