Young Adult Literature

Page 11 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Young Adult Literature

Post  whatthedeuce on Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:48 pm

I've read a few great reviews about it and seen snarkers also giving it high marks, so I'm excited to read it after I finish my current book!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Wildog27 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:07 pm

I've gone back to reading Susan Cooper's Dark Is Rising Sequence after not having done so in about 25 years. Geez, I'd forgotten how much I love these books.

Wildog27

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:45 pm

QueenSix, I got about 150 pages in before giving up. I just couldn't get invested in either Karou or her love interest. I really liked all the secondary characters though and wanted to know what the whole collecting teeth thing was about.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:54 pm

You...you gave up? After all I posted??? OMGICAN'TBELIEVEYOUWOULDDOTHATYOUHATER.YOUAREALLHATERZZZ!! *falls off high horse*

I've given up many a book others raved about, whatthedeuce, I get it. Life's too short to be reading something you're not particularly into. That's one of the reasons I haven't finished Anna Dressed in Blood.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:08 pm

I can see why others love the book, but for some reason, I just wasn't connecting to Karou. I have Anna Dressed In Blood on my list because of the raves here, and hopefully, I'll stick with that one the whole way through, but only time will tell!

Last edited by whatthedeuce on Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed on Tue May 28, 2013 10:42 am

I read Chris Crutcher's Period 8 this weekend, which was okay. I liked all the characters but the plot by the end was just really over-the-top melodramatic. Like Veronica Mars meets L&O:SVU.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 on Fri May 31, 2013 3:00 pm

Because I'd pre-ordered it, I got an email from Amazon the other day letting me know that Stephanie Perkins next book, Isla and the Happily Ever After has been pushed back to 2014 from (I think) September of this year.
*throws self on the bed and sobs uncontrollably*
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  SarahJanet on Fri May 31, 2013 3:56 pm

She blogged about why.

SarahJanet

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:45 am

I basically HAVE to read Judith Tarr's YA "Living in Threes" after reading Sherwood Smith's incandescent review.

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  mo pie on Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:40 am

I read Eleanor & Park today and loved it.

mo pie

Back to top Go down

Post  katesti on Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:08 pm

YES. God, I loved that book. I have Rainbow Rowell's other book, Attachments, out from the library right now and I can't wait to get to it. I have a few others to get to first, though. Currently I'm about halfway through Michael Hainey's After Visiting Friends, and then I have The 5th Wave, Where'd You Go Bernadette?, and The Painted Girls.

Libraries are the best.

katesti

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:44 pm

Can people please read The Lost Girl by Sangu Mandanna, so I can have someone to discuss it with? I thought the plot and writing were fantastic, but the ending didn't feel quite right somehow. I loved how cruel some of the characters could be and how that made them feel so realistic and relateable to me. The terrible decisions they made actually made sense to me whether or not they could be considered forgivable.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Algae on Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:59 am

I read it, whatthedeuce. I loved the world-building and thought everything was being built up beautifully and, about halfway through, it started to feel rushed and sloppy and a bunch of questions I had went unanswered.
Algae

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 on Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:24 am

mo pie wrote:I read Eleanor & Park today and loved it.
I read it a while ago, and I agree. It was totally sweet and lovely.
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:32 pm

Algae wrote:I read it, whatthedeuce.  I loved the world-building and thought everything was being built up beautifully and, about halfway through, it started to feel rushed and sloppy and a bunch of questions I had went unanswered.
The last 40-50 pages felt like they belonged in another novel or as if the author decided she needed more action and adventure. And the ending seemed like it was leading to more. I actually wondered if there's supposed to be a sequel cuz it felt to me like it ended so abruptly.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  rivki8699 on Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:10 pm

So I finished Maze Runner at lunch today, and I liked it, but didn't love it.

Spoiler Discussion:
By the end of the book I was just like, this is the stupidest experimental design I have ever heard of. It's horribly uncontrolled, stupidly wasteful of life, and completely incapable of ensuring that the smartest/strongest/bravest survived. I mean, even if you accept that there had to be actual, verifiable deaths in order to prove that the survivers could keep going in the face of mortal fear, there is no reason for them to kill half the kids rushing for the griever hole. I mean, at that point, death is just random, and you're killing the kids displaying the capacity to keep going in the face of almost certain death. Why not just knock them out? (Although, this assumes that the dead really are dead, and given the fact that Gally survived, that is certainly in question. I really hope Alby isn't dead.) And killing the ones who didn't leave the glade just purges a bunch more smart kids, who were capable of surviving and creating a community, even if they weren't necessarily convinced that Thomas was right about the way to escape. And what was the point of killing Chuck? As a "last variable" it made no sense. Was it to see if anyone would die to protect Thomas? If the Creators could coerce someone to try to kill Thomas? To create more unity in an already clearly unified group?

And the last bit, I'm assuming that the person writing that analysis means Thomas should be the leader, since he was the impetus for figuring out the code and how to escape. I really hope that's not how it turns out, because Thomas was a ringer. He was never really in the same position as the rest of the kids. He was there for what, a week or so? And he had knowledge/feelings that the rest of the kids lacked - and a sense of purpose. We have no idea what he would have been like if he'd been there for two years, or if he'd lacked that certainty that he had to be a runner, or his connection to Theresa.

I'm still going to read the sequel though.

rivki8699

Back to top Go down

Post  Shadowlass on Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:22 pm

Why, why doesn't Kresley Cole produce an Arcana Chronicles book once a week instead of once a year?

*cries*

Shadowlass

Back to top Go down

Post  Paris, Texas on Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:54 am

Would y'all recommend Miss Peregrine's Home or Eleanor and Park for an average 13yo reader going into Year 8 early next year? I might give her Pretty Little Liars or Dance Academy, but I'm an You'll Read What's Good For You kind of gift giver.

Paris, Texas

Back to top Go down

Post  BreezyK on Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:50 am

Paris, Texas wrote:Would y'all recommend Miss Peregrine's Home or Eleanor and Park for an average 13yo reader going into Year 8 early next year?  I might give her Pretty Little Liars or Dance Academy, but I'm an You'll Read What's Good For You kind of gift giver.
Miss Peregrine's Home is more sci-fi/fantasy than E&P, so it depends on if she would like that. E&P is one of the best books I read, period, this year, so I'm inclined to say that one. However,
Spoiler:
it does deal with issues of domestic abuse, so think about her maturity

BreezyK

Back to top Go down

Post  Paris, Texas on Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:06 pm

Ah, thanks Breezy. She's just begun her period and is quite emotional about it - maybe a cue for some Judy Blume? ;) - and has some eating issues/fears, so I might bypass E&P. I'm really wanting to get her interested in some series. She's a bit young for Hunger Games, and she's been read Harry Potter and Lemony Snicket at bedtime most of her life.

Paris, Texas

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha on Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:12 pm

Paris - I recommend Catherynne Valente's "Fairyland" series. Frankly, I recommend it for everyone, but it's a great fantasy series for a girl right in that age range. Each book takes place a year apart and I think in the latest one September is 12 and is having serious growing-up-related concerns. On top of adventures, of course!
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  chibimanda on Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:38 am

What about the "So You Want to be a Wizard?" series? They predate Harry Potter, and include magic but it has a very different feel to it.
chibimanda

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:43 am

I love those so much. Diane Duane is the best.

Hey, how about Susan Cooper's "Dark Is Rising" sequence? It's the perfect time of year for reading that book...

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed on Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:30 pm

I always recommend Tamora Pierce for girls. Her heroines are feminist rockstars! My favorite series are The Immortals and the Beka Cooper series. If she's not hardcore into fantasy, I think Beka Cooper might be better as it's a more sophisticated read with a detective story.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken on Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:59 pm

There are the Percy Jackson series.  The original series, Percy Jackson and the Olympians, has five books and the fourth book in the sequel series, Heroes of Olympus, was just published a few months ago.  The final book in the the Heroes of Olympus series comes out next year.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top