Talk Shows (Daytime, Late Night, OWN, etc!)

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Talk Shows (Daytime, Late Night, OWN, etc!)

Post  biakbiak on Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:01 am

Didn't want to start a purely Conan topic so though this would be a good grab bag for all talk shows!

I have actually been quite enjoying Rosie's show on OWN, her hour long interview with Phyllis Diller was an absolute delight!

Anyhoo, I thought tonight's Conan was perfection! His last NYC show a perfect caper to this week on the road. Conan gets ordained! Truimph at Occupy Wall Street! Stewart and Colbert! Louis CK! All hilarious and a very lovely and sweet wedding for Scott and David!
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Re: Talk Shows (Daytime, Late Night, OWN, etc!)

Post  nazlan on Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:40 am

Much as I remain fond of Conan, my heart has been won by a foul-mouthed Scotsman with a gay robot skeleton sidekick.

Craig Ferguson's Late Late Show is one of the best things on tv and more people should watch him, full stop.
nazlan

Back to top Go down

Post  paablish on Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:06 pm

nazlan, I adore Craig too. I love it when he has repeat audience members on. The girl who became an intern and the Swedish? girls who went to Vegas.

paablish

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:00 pm

I also adore Craig!

On another note they should just rework Anderson and have it be the Anderson and Gloria hour because whenever his mother is on the show it's absolutely delightful!
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  Swarley on Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:43 pm

I love Craig, too. I think, right now, he's my favourite in late night. His Halloween episode slayed me.

I refuse to watch The Chew. Not just because it looks terrible but also because it's where All My Children should be, dammit. Daytime television won't be the same when soap operas are gone.

Swarley

Back to top Go down

Post  caerbannog on Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:50 pm

I won't watch The Chew either for the same reason. That, and it has the stupidest name of any talk show, ever.

caerbannog

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:48 am

David Letterman gave a loving tribute to his long time make-up artist (and occasional skit performer) Michele O'Callaghan. She seemed like an interesting woman who also got emotional tributes from Bob Costas and Keith Olbermann who she also worked with.
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  Morning Angel on Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:15 am

I love Conan's remotes/filmed pieces. Tonight, he participated in Secret Santa, and gave one of his staffers what I wish was my present. ;)
Morning Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  Morning Angel on Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:33 pm

Graham Norton's show is often funny, but he had on Steve Carell, Kristen Wiig, Chris O'Dowd, and Josh Groban this week, and it was just hilarious. I like all these people so much so I'm not surprised, but still. It also had one of the craziest things happened on a talkshow I've seen: Chris O'Dowd vs. the fly
Morning Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:53 pm

Tonight is Dave's final Christmas show. One las time for Jay Thomas, the Lone Ranger, football's and Pizza tree toppers and of course the amazing Darlene Love!
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  Snarryfan on Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:51 pm

Craig Ferguson went out perfectly. I loved the opening number with the return of the puppets and Desmond Tutu!! I will miss him, Geoffrey Peterson, and Secretariat because there will never be another late night show like Craig Ferguson's. And the end with the reveal of the horse and that it was all a dream with the snowglobe was brilliant.

They showed a commercial for Craig's stand-up in DC so ~1:30am I ordered a ticket to see him in February!!

Snarryfan

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Thu May 21, 2015 1:48 pm

I thought David Letterman's last show was just about perfect. I loved that they showed clips from his short-lived, early 80s daytime show (especially that they included a clip of the sparklers/confetti fire), the Alka-Seltzer suit, Late Night Monkey-Cam, Larry "Bud" Melman, Dave working the Taco Bell drive-through ("She's gone already, chief"), well, too many to list. I love that he went out in typical Dave style and not with a big mopey, sentimental send-off. Though, that said, I also loved seeing Regina and Harry (and Tommy Roboto!) and the sweet things he said about them. I'm sad he's retiring, but happy he got to go out on his own terms AND outlasted Leno (which I'm sure he planned to do come hell or high water).

Last edited by naughty zoot on Thu May 21, 2015 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  maxell131313 on Thu May 21, 2015 5:37 pm

Agreed. I was doing okay with everything until Dave started thanking everyone and showed his wife and son. The way Dave just beamed when he talked about Harry made me cry.

Someone on a Facebook article noted that Dave had all these celebrities and news people lining up to thank him (as well as Kimmel and Conan adamantly telling people to NOT watch their shows last night, but to watch Letterman instead) and more articles and stories than you can count talking about how Dave changed late night...and Leno's final guests were Kim Kardashian and Garth Brooks. That says a lot to me.
maxell131313

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude on Thu May 21, 2015 10:12 pm

I stayed up (and am paying for it right now at the library) and got pretty teary-eyed myself. I know all the criticisms of Dave, but I've always loved the guy. He made me laugh at a very dark time in my life, and he will always hold a special place in my heart because of it. I'll miss him terribly.

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  Morning Angel on Fri May 22, 2015 1:46 am

Agreed, it was a very fitting last show.  I watched Dave regularly throughout the 90s/early 2000s until The Daily Show became my late night show so I'll always be fond of him for the many years of laughter.

Someone on a Facebook article noted that Dave had all these celebrities and news people lining up to thank him (as well as Kimmel and Conan adamantly telling people to NOT watch their shows last night, but to watch Letterman instead) and more articles and stories than you can count talking about how Dave changed late night...and Leno's final guests were Kim Kardashian and Garth Brooks. That says a lot to me.

I was wondering about that last night.  There weren't that many Leno pieces when he left, right? I have never cared that much for Leno so I was wondering if I had just missed the party when he retired. I guess he wasn't as innovative as Letterman.  Plus, he left The Tonight Show twice, and after he took back the show from Conan, it left him with not the greatest image.
Morning Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Fri May 22, 2015 2:10 am

I started watching Dave in the 80's and yeah his game fell off, but he was so different for his era. He also wouldn't have been as great as he was without the tone deaf interference from GE and the train wreck interviews. I can't believe Shirley McClaine hasn't been brought up more.

Cher called him an asshole, but I always saw him as a nice guy who really just lacked any social grace and felt it was quite telling how loyal his staff was and how much he involved them in the proceedings.
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  Morning Angel on Fri May 22, 2015 4:01 am

The Dude wrote:I started watching Dave in the 80's and yeah his game fell off, but he was so different for his era. He also wouldn't have been as great as he was without the tone deaf interference from GE and the train wreck interviews. I can't believe Shirley McClaine hasn't been brought up more.

Cher called him an asshole, but I always saw him as a nice guy who really just lacked any social grace and felt it was quite telling how loyal his staff was and how much he involved them in the proceedings.

In interviews over the years, his staff has said how generous he was with them, and how involved he was philanthropically, but he wanted no credit for it all. He just wanted to be left alone. I think he's a good person, just not somebody good at faking interest for things he doesn't care about or for social niceties; I could always empathize with that.
Morning Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  dionneshea on Fri May 22, 2015 12:57 pm

Morning Angel wrote:
The Dude wrote:I started watching Dave in the 80's and yeah his game fell off, but he was so different for his era. He also wouldn't have been as great as he was without the tone deaf interference from GE and the train wreck interviews. I can't believe Shirley McClaine hasn't been brought up more.

In interviews over the years, his staff has said how generous he was with them, and how involved he was philanthropically, but he wanted no credit for it all.  He just wanted to be left alone.  I think he's a good person, just not somebody good at faking interest for things he doesn't care about or for social niceties; I could always empathize with that.
I could empathize with that more if it wasn't, you know, his job. A job that he was obscenely paid for. He's never been my favourite, and that's mostly the reason.

Which isn't to say I don't appreciate all his work. Because he was FUNNY back in the day. Kind of silly and ridiculous, and it was a good time.

I loved the final episode. The Top 10 was great, but I mostly loved seeing all the really old clips that had nothing to do with celebrities. The stuff with the kids - I forgot how funny that was. And I loved all the tributes to everyone with whom he worked. It was the perfect note to go out on.
dionneshea

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Fri May 22, 2015 4:40 pm

I can certainly see why he wouldn't be everybody's cup of tea, but Letterman's job was never to be the guy that sucked up to anyone or pretended to care about whatever. He got "obscenely paid" to be exactly who he was. Many people responded to that because he subverted the usual fawning talk show culture and reflected the audience's impatience with a certain kind of celebrity (see the Nastassja Kinski interview for one) and in doing so he made his network a lot of money.
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Fri May 22, 2015 5:07 pm

He got "obscenely paid" to be exactly who he was.

Absolutely, especially during his CBS tenure, and frankly I found his approach to interviews refreshing, precisely because he was not hung up on social niceties or kissing ass (though clearly if you were an ingenue actress, as Amy Schumer pilloried, he was fawning fool). It made watching an interview unpredictable, was Dave going to be a dick tonight? Was his guest going to be a dick tonight? Would someone get kicked in the face?

blixie
Mod Squad

http://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Swarley on Fri May 22, 2015 7:11 pm

My favorite Dave moment was when he told Bill O'Reilly that he (Dave) wasn't smart enough to argue with O'Reilly point by point but he had a feeling that most of what O'Reilly said was bullshit. It was brilliant and I cheered. Dave was my favorite when I was a teenager in the 90s and I'll miss him. I haven't watched much in recent years due to being an old who falls asleep at 9:30 but I'm still going to miss him.

Swarley

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Fri May 22, 2015 7:22 pm

I think that one of the reasons, though not the only reason, that Leno didn't get the same treatment is because the first time he left the Tonight Show he wasn't really leaving, he was simply moving his show to the ten o'clock hour and the second time he left the show there was still backlash from the Conan situation and it was the second time he had left. Also, Leno' s fan base has never been as passionate as Letterman. I can't imagine anyone describing Leno as their Carson where many very successful people view Letterman (by their Carson I mean they view him the way Dave viewed Carson) that way.
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Fri May 22, 2015 8:10 pm

Someone made a slide show of the final montage with annotations.
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Sat May 23, 2015 5:34 pm

Him being a dick was good telelvision, most of his legendary interviews were the trainwrecks. Especially when contrasted with Leno's Bland sycophancy.

The monkey interview.

He also gave Chris Elliot a venue to be a massive Weirdo.

Despite the knocks on both guys, he and Carson always was one of the best showbiz friendships.

I really hope he would be willing to do guest the occasional guest shot with Conan, colbert or Kimmel.
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  maxell131313 on Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:57 pm

Who watched Colbert's debut last night? I thought it was good. Like one critic I read said, the show doesn't know what it wants to be yet and only time will figure that out. But for a first show it was ebullient and giddy and showed how much I've missed his being on TV. The coast-to-coast SSB open was awesome. (Also, I very much want someone to give me a sterling silver paperweight from Tiffany's that says "I don't know you".) The band leader is great, and the jam session at the end of the show was fantastic. Can't wait to see how night #2 goes.
maxell131313

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top