Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings

+49
Fiammetta
Skyblade
slmader
naughty zoot
vwlphb
Poubelle
particle_person
Putli Bai
lisa
Jamie
sagitare
Coneycat
Snarryfan
jensa
inversed
year of the cat
QueenSix
epudom
The Glen
Raksha
MichiSichi
Agent Sculder
Ji Xiang
Gillian
chibimanda
Red Wolf
Instant Monkeys
wenchsenior
Cynara
ulkis
laddical
punzy
Wildog27
Auroura76
Gallifrey Girl
sixchooks
rivki8699
Cutebutpsycho
xyzzy
sen3
bbridges
Tabby
Unlucky Bear
Simbelmyne
ActonBell
queenofdenile
Luthien
elleth
bookworm
53 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings - Page 5 Empty Re: The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings

Post  bookworm Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:37 pm

Going to be released on DVD March 19th! I know that he's going to turn around and release the extended version when the second movie comes out, but rumor has it that with the DVD will be a preview. My preciousssssss...
bookworm
bookworm

Back to top Go down

The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings - Page 5 Empty Re: The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings

Post  slmader Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:44 pm

Apparently for the Region 1 DVD release (US), there will be a code inside for a sneak peek at the Desolation of Smaug. I'm psyched already. Is it March 19 yet?

slmader

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:35 pm

PIE-MAKER! Stop being a douche!

Ahem. Teaser trailer's up!

PJ is so cruel. Not even a snippet of dialogue from Paddy Joe to satiate the fanboysandgirls.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:59 am

I was really looking forward to hearing Cumberbatch's Smaug-voice, but aside from that I was pure squee, and the last few seconds gave me a straight-up shiver. The dwarves-in-barrels sequence looks like a lot more fun for the participants than the same sequence in the book (which I recently reread) and now I have no idea what the third movie is going to be about but I DON'T CARE. Eeee!

Last edited by Coneycat on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  Wildog27 Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:48 am

Coneycat wrote:(snip) I have no idea what the third movie is going to be about but I DON'T CARE. Eeee!
I think it's mainly going to be the maneuvering before the Battle of the Five Armies and then the battle itself. I expect this one to end with Smaug's death.

Wildog27

Back to top Go down

Post  sagitare Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:16 pm

Not surprised there was no voice clip from Smaug but I was pleased to see - and hear! - more of Lee Pace. He's got actual lines, people! 

I have to say, I was somewhat taken aback at how cheesy obvious the special effects looked. Like, when that shot of Bilbo and all the blue butterflies came up I was all, "Whoa, that...does not look that great." I thought maybe it was just that one shot but it seemed to carry through the whole trailer.
sagitare
sagitare

Back to top Go down

Post  sen3 Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:51 am

Buzzfeed has the whole exciting saga of the trailer reaction youtube by two fans, PJ promoting it, making a video of Lee, Orlando and Evangeline reacting to their reaction video, and then of course, the two girls reaction to all of the above. That this all happened in less than two days, is just amazing.

sen3

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:05 pm

That was hilarious and adorable. Just made my morning.
Cutebutpsycho
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:32 am

Interview with Christoper Tolkien.

As time goes on, I find I like the movies less and less. Especially the Hobbit. There are some parts of the movies I like, much of the scenery, and they certainly helped me tell Merry and Pippin apart. (Which face and voice goes where.) But on the whole, I prefer the books. I've become fairly anti-change when it comes to adaptions anyway.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  Skyblade Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:00 pm

There are parts of the movies I look at and go "Oh Hollywood", but on the other, the way Christopher Tolkein (and some of the comments) go on, you'd think "Lord of the Rings" was the first time a beloved book was shit on for the sake of the masses. Considering Jackson's later excesses, and coming off the 90's (a.k.a. the decade that would hold your hand for every movie), it's astounding they're as good as they are.

Skyblade

Back to top Go down

Post  Fiammetta Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:37 pm

Definitely liked this one better than the first. Only thing is, the obviously stretched-out length of the movies seems to accentuate the ever present theme of the dwarves getting imprisoned, over and over again.

Evangeline Lilly was much less distracting than I'd thought, and the Kili/Tauriel thing is oddly charming.

The dwarven ruins were spectacular.

Last edited by Fiammetta on Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Fiammetta

Back to top Go down

Post  MichiSichi Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:50 pm

Loved the Lotr references especially Peter Jackson in Bree . It was a bit long and felt like the two towers in that they needed to set up for the last bit. I kept saying Kate get dr jack ...
MichiSichi
MichiSichi

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:09 pm

If someone (i.e. me) hasn't read the books, didn't watch the first Hobbit and barely remembers the LotR (which I went with a then boyfriend when the movies came out), would that someone have a hard time following the movie?
I'd like to watch it but I don't know if I will get it!

Back to top Go down

Post  MichiSichi Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:49 pm

Oh yeah you will be ok, my husband never read the books but enjoys the movies (but we have seen the LOTR about a million times and we did see the Hobbit the day before just to freshen up on the story) BUT even if you haven't , you should be fine, the only thing is that you will want to go back and see the other films, it is just fun.
MichiSichi
MichiSichi

Back to top Go down

Post  Fiammetta Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:32 pm

Since most of the Hobbit is about a long journey, you'll mostly be missing the how/why of everyone setting out, and how Bilbo came to have the Ring. Otherwise, though, it should be comprehensible.

Fiammetta

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:33 pm

MichiSichi,
the only thing is that you will want to go back and see the other films, it is just fun.
That sounds like a good problem to have!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynara Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:37 am

Note to self: always store magic spears in the onions and injured dwarves in the walnut bowl. Action-packed and educational!

Cynara

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:18 am

Could someone please tell Peter Jackson enough already with the endless scenes of the various travelers strung out single file? This film needed editing and that would have been a good place to start.
naughty zoot
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Snarryfan Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:58 pm

Saw it tonight. Loved it, so much better than the first film. I especially loved the reveal of Sauron and that it is his visage that is the pupil of the eye. Also was slightly unnerved at how sexy the dragon was--Cumberbatch is the new Rickman when it comes to the sexy voice.

Snarryfan

Back to top Go down

Post  dionneshea Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:00 am

I fell asleep twice. I wasn't very engaged.

There were a lot of cool things, like the Sauron eye and the barrel escape scene from Thranduil and then the orcs. Because I haven't read the book, I really enjoyed the Kili and Tauriel romance. My mom, who is a Tolkien-purist, was apoplectic during the whole thing. It's actually pretty funny. But I fell asleep. Twice. So I can't say I'd really recommend it to anyone.
dionneshea
dionneshea

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:14 am

My reaction continues to be "SERIOUSLY?" when I saw the ending. I couldn't' scream "WHAT THE SHIT?" since my nephew was sitting next to me and he's eight.
Cutebutpsycho
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:59 pm

I finally got to see this movie today! My mom wanted to go with me, so we've been putting it off because first she had a cold, then I did, now she does again. We went anyway today because it'll be out of the theater by the time we're all well again!

I really enjoyed it! I hear what people are saying in their criticisms of the Hobbit movies, but I continue to give no fucks. I like stories like this and these movies are well made all around. I'm happy and I can't wait for the next one!

Also, this has gone some way toward calming my mother's rage toward Benedict Cumberbatch over the last Star Trek movie. At first I found her over the top nerd rage about it really amusing, but now it's just getting humorless and obnoxious. But now she seems to have backed off Benedict, at least, thanks to Smaug.
Raksha
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:22 am

I finally saw this on New Year's Day. I've had a bad cold for the past week which continues to linger on, but I couldn't wait too much longer or it wouldn't be in theaters.

The movie kept me entertained, so that's a good thing, and I continue to be amazed by how it can be 10 years later yet certain actors don't appear to have aged much at all. (I think Orlando Bloom doesn't happen to be one of them, but maybe elves age backwards or something, who knows?)

Anyway, I liked all the stunts with Legolas and Tauriel, and the river scene was fun, as was the cave scene with Smaug. I'm also very glad I don't have arachnophobia, because that scene with the spiders was almost as bad as the ones in Harry Potter.

Overall, I liked it a lot. For me, these films don't quite measure up to Lord of the Rings, but they're a pretty fantastic achievement nonetheless. Bring on the next one!

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyGayle Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:29 pm

I'm late in seeing this, too, I just saw it yesterday. What with the kids, I don't often get to see movies in the theater, but there's a tradition to uphold. I saw all the LOTR movies in the theater as well as the first Hobbit movie. I had to go by myself this time, but I didn't mind.

I liked it a lot. Better than the first, which I thought was good but not great. And I loved Tauriel, though I'm sure she infuriates Tolkien purists. Could've done without the whole love triangle bit - can't Tauriel and Legolas just be awesome ass-kicking friends? - but, call me a sucker, I thought Tauriel/Kili was sweet.

Smaug was fucking awesome. And that cliffhanger - dude! I want to see the third movie now so obviously effective.

LadyGayle

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:44 pm

I think I win the prize for lateness since I just saw it today.

I was...underwhelmed. :( I don't know. It was all right. I really liked the last one, and I was crazy obsessed with the first trilogy. This was just OK for me. I liked Tauriel and ol' Legolas (bless him, Orlando Jones is getting a little jowly), I liked Beorn, there were some great shots of Gandalf being Gandalfy. Laketown just looked like a set, to me. The underground stuff was pretty awesome (the ruins of the dwarven city). Smaug was cool. I think possibly my favorite thing was the glorious piles of treasure and the river of melted gold. (Except: not enough jewels. Some color variation would have been nice. JEWELS I SAY. MULTICOLORED JEWELS.)

Last time I saw it in 3D and HDR and this was just 3D, I guess? Is HDR even a thing anymore? Anyway, I wrote like a massive novel about how wowed I was by the HDR, and maybe I was expecting to be super wowed again and wasn't? 3D glasses make everything dim, so maybe that's why, but the movie just wasn't very beautiful to me, just sort of dreary-looking. They were in a lot of dreary landscapes, I guess. The first one had that one humongo Rivendell shot. This one had one where they were running over some plains and other than that I feel like so much of this could have been shot anywhere (despite the 3D commercial for New Zealand tourism that aired before it, hee).

And, too much fighting, too much dwarves being captured (I realized I still can only identify maybe five of the dwarves: Thorin, Kili, Fili, Bombur, Old Guy, Guy With Hat/Mustache Who Missed Boat), just fighting fighting fighting, not much beauty, not much wonder. Maybe I just wasn't in the right mood? I was sad on the way home remembering when the first trilogy came out and how insanely exciting it was and how obsessed my sisters and I were with the extended versions and the extras. I am having some existential feelings about the whole thing that are not strictly the movie's fault, I think.

It certainly did end on a cliffhanger. Everyone in the theater was like !!!!!!!!!!

Anyway. It was OK. I love Gandalf.

I caught PJ in Bree but I guess I missed both Bret and Colbert, huh?
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum