The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings

Post  Unlucky Bear on Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:03 am

Actually, I beat you for lateness because I just saw it tonight. So there.

I liked it a lot. Just when I thought it was getting a tad draggy... it ended. I LOVED Cumberbatch's Smaug voice. It's so.... slithery.

As much as I like Lee Pace and Stephen Fry in real life, I did not care for either of their characters in this movie. I thought they both were slightly too hammy in this one.

I can't believe no one's mentioned how scorchingly hot Bard is yet.
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian on Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:11 am

Unlucky Bear wrote:I can't believe no one's mentioned how scorchingly hot Bard is yet.
Yes!  This!  My theory is that Elf Kate is going to ditch both Legolas and the dwarf for that guy, because he looks like a perfect blend of the two of them.  My sister was like, "Nah, he's got kids," but I was like, "Who cares?  He's HOT!"

I did manage to see Stephen Colbert, even though I forgot to look for him.  I missed Peter Jackson.  Bilbo and Smaug was like a really weird episode of Sherlock, with Martin Freeman being all, "Oh wow, you're so great not really" and Cumberbatch being all, "Blah blah blah I'm an asshole blah."

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:09 pm

Bard is in that whole area of people with squinty eyes and a mustache that just look like child molesters to me. Sorry, Bard! More for you, person who cruelly stole my Last to See the Second Hobbit Movie Prize after I possessed it for a few seconds of fleeting glory.

So where was Colbert? He was an elf, wasn't he?
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  sagitare on Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:10 pm

Instant Monkeys wrote:So where was Colbert? He was an elf, wasn't he?
Nope - he was in Laketown as a "hooded thief".
sagitare

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear on Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:53 pm

Ha, I totally remember that guy. Did not recognize Colbert.
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:25 pm

There are two more Colberts listed as Laketown spies in the credits! He must have brought family.
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat on Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:34 am

Instant Monkeys wrote:I think I win the prize for lateness since I just saw it today.

I was...underwhelmed. :(  

If there is a prize, hand it over: I just saw it last night. I've been meaning to, and then life kept intervening, and I finally decided last night was the night. By that time I had no option but 3-D, but it was cheap night and non-Imax 3-Ds are included in the cheap price, so that was good, especially since 3-D added exactly nothing to my enjoyment.

The movie was... eh. My thought is, if you need to make up that much extraneous crap to pad your run time, your movie probably doesn't need to be nearly three hours long.

I did like the Gypsy Vanners loaned to the dwarves by Papa Bear. They were pretty.

Legolas looked like he'd been added in post-production--I assume they airbrushed him a little to try to hide the fact he's ten years older than he was the last time we saw him, but it didn't work. Instead of just looking more manly, he looked manly and kind of distractingly fake. Speaking of distracting, the Elf-King's supermodel pouts and poses were a bit much, as was his silver lame getup.

I did appreciate the Kili/Tauriel flirtation, just because it gave Aidan Turner some lines. He's so cute.

Also, Smaug was GLORIOUS. I wanted to see him on the big screen for the full effect, and he was definitely worth the price of the ticket. I generally do not root for villains-- notable exceptions being Richard III and Loki, and for identical reasons: in both cases they are just way more interesting than anyone else around them. (YMMV about Loki, but I think we can all agree about Richard, at least in the play.) By the end of the movie, Smaug was definitely invoking the Richard III Clause for me, he was gorgeous. I loved the visual cue he was getting ready to breathe fire, and like all movie dragons some of his postures were so cat-like I was reminded of my dear departed Kinsey, who would gladly have immolated a generation of vets and their vet techs. So I found it very hard to root against him. And then, of course, the voice was perfect, too.

Also, the dwarves' plan to get rid of him was... well, maybe they should have considered that he was a fire-breathing dragon who carries fire around under his skin. I mean.

Not a great movie, or maybe even a good one, but I'm glad I saw Smaug in his natural habitat.

Last edited by Coneycat on Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:55 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Added link, fixed typo)

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:38 am

I saw the final movie last night, and it definitely had good moments, but not enough of them to make it a great movie.

Spoiler:
It was actually a decent movie up until GINORMOUS WORMS POPPED OUT AND THEN WERE NEVER HEARD FROM AGAIN. Seriously?
The elf/dwarf love story annoyed me soooo much, and there was more time devoted to her mourning him than for Bilbo mourning Thorin. Thranduil's random pissiness also didn't make any sense storywise. Why did he show up at the end at the tower? The "battle" between Galadriel and Proto Sauron was a big let down. One scene! That was it? And then Elrond is all "ok, I'll just let Saruman deal with it and I'll just head back to Rivendell!" Gandalf didn't have two seconds to tell them to go muster some more elves because it was about to go down on the Lonely Mountain?

Anyway, meh.
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  MichiSichi on Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:09 pm

I understand your points completely bookworm...I enjoyed the film and the ending more than the lotr ending (because it was happier) - help me here I don't remember - was the ring as prominent in the book as it was here?
MichiSichi

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:36 pm

No, the ring was a complete footnote in the book. He used it - frequently - with no ill effects and no ominous foreboding.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:58 pm

PJ (the 2000's George Lucas) stated that they only put the love story in there as a blatant grab to get the young girls to go see the movie. UGH. They could have had Tauriel be badass AND make the major elf conflict be between Legolas and his dad regarding xenophobia vs. going out and hunting down evil without the stupid storyline. They spent more time on that
Spoiler:
death scene than they did with Bilbo and Thorin WHICH WAS KIND OF INTEGRAL TO THE BOOK.
Rant rant rantity rant.
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  darthtall on Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:33 pm

Dude, Peter, I was 18 when the first LotR movie came out, and the hot dudes on their own were enough for me; I didn't need them to fall in love to check it out. (I mean, other than the part where Legolas & Aragorn OBVIOUSLY were already in love, but anyway... :D) Plus, y'know, I was into the story.

darthtall

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho on Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:23 pm

I might be the only one who thought the entire thing was an excuse to have one long fight scene.

Also,
Spoiler:
I may be the only person who thought of Anchorman's news team rumble when the five armies were going out and talking smack about each other.
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic View next topic Back to top